Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad news for drinkers. FG/Labour to introduce minimum prices!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Fictional RTE headline 2013 ??
    ''Thank god, Heineken to pull out off Ireland.
    The state broadcaster is happy to annonce the closure of the Heineken brewery in Cork, any job losses will be allocated new job placements in the newly formed state-factories. Heineken has incorrectly lay blame on our glorious state which they say has in effect prohibited the sale of alcohol, a spokesperson for Heineken said ''We just can't compete with the black-market and the on going robberies from our warehouses'',
    -other news form RTE: RTE welcomes the new €500 media-levy''

The basic outcome of this will be the loss of jobs and revenue, if as they say it's 'health reasons' then from the current tax collected from booze n' ciggs, we should have one of the best funded health services in the world.

I expectted a little bit of honesty from the new gov'ners, not an attempt to pull the wool over people's eyes. Historically one way to keep a population content durning tough times is allowing some kind of release, else it can cause a revolution.

It should be my choice if I want to drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

The OP must be BIGGIN to his drink...

/gets coat.

/throws self onto street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Fear Uladh wrote: »
    The OP must be BIGGIN to his drink...

/gets coat.

/throws self onto street.

* Locks door from inside instantly! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Biggins wrote: »
    * Locks door from inside instantly! :D

...fire hazard? Biggins, how could you!?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I think all the alcohol threads need to be merged?

You can't mix beer, wine and spirits. The hangovers are too bad.

• Advertisement

You can't mix beer, wine and spirits. The hangovers are too bad.

Aaa... thats where I was going wrong in times past! :o

Well it looks like that problem is solved if the drink gets too expensive even more. :(

Aaa... thats where I was going wrong in times past! :o

Well it looks like that problem is solved if the drink gets too expensive even more. :(

Make your own beer kits and hooch distilleries will make a comeback.
    All you need after that is a porch, a rocking chair, banjo, straw hat, shotgun and a jug labeled XXX.
    Yeee-haw!
    /gets paint for General Lee paintjob on his CMax.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Bootlegging is the way forward,it worked for Homer in the Simpsons :D
    Seriously though you wont be able to do F All in this country in a few years

Someone is certainly determined to make their mark!
    Another report?

http://www.thejournal.ie/report-calls-for-ban-on-alcohol-sponsorship-of-sport-and-festivals-349483-Feb2012/
    The report, whose findings are likely to guide future Government policy, suggests that alcoholic drinks should be ‘structurally separated’ by a partition from food products in supermarkets.

A previous report in this thread stated that some wanted alcohol withdrawn from supermarkets, now this one wants a partition.
    Seriously? Honestly, do they really think its going to help?
    The Alcohol Beverage Federation of Ireland described the report as “a missed opportunity to address the very serious issue of alcohol misuse.”
    It said the ban on drinks industry sponsorship “would be extremely challenging for national and local sporting organisations [...] while there would also be a serious decline in major cultural events, festivals, and concerts.”
    Me heart breaks for the Alcohol Beverage Federation...
    (Not!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I suppose we could just shut pubs couldn't we? A meeting place built around the consumption of drink, if an alien dropped in tomorrow he'd pinpoint them as being odd exclusions. Was that suggested in any of these reports?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

Goverment:

"how can we get more money?.... 'ALCOHOL TAX'! But we have to spin it in a health way"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

You can bet your sweet ass the Dail Bar will still be stocked with free and cheap Booze for the goons.

This.
    If drink is so bad, will our TD's lead by example and get rid of the Dail Bar? Will they fúck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Ted Mosby

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    1. Snap! ;)

2. Alcohol, drinking, getting drunk and soaking (or pre-soaking) every social occasion in alcohol are so normal in this country that any attempt at curbing consumption is seen as the nanny state gone mad.

Well, it is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 304 ✭✭WhiteRussian

There is no easy solution to our over-consumption of alcohol. We should not be binge-drinking, full stop. The health problems associated with binge-drinking are a drain on State resources as well as damaging to oneself and one's relationships with family. There is nothing wrong with alcohol in moderation.

Realistically, the main way for Irish people to get over our dependence on alcohol is to stop drinking so much. Parents have a responsibility to their children not to get drunk and normalise getting drunk for their children. It is all well and good telling children they can't drink but that is no good when the parents are getting drunk themselves.

Alcohol advertising should be banned everywhere, especially in sporting occasions. And I note today that certain FG and Labour ministers would not commit to banning alcohol advertising for sporting events. Spineless ****. Alcohol should be taken out of supermarkets. There is a view that because off-licences are located in the place where you buy your groceries it is grand to toss some booze into the trolley with the rest of the groceries. That is a terribly irresponsible attitude to take.

Regarding the price increase; I believe that if alcohol was expensive people would drink less. I enjoy some less-popular beers from independent off licences occasionally and when I do get some beers there I don't get anywhere near as many as I would if I was buying cans of Heineken or whatever. I am not certain but I feel that the reason for this is down to the much higher cost of buying these less-popular beers. So the €1.10 minimum price per can does not go far enough.

Alternatives to pubs as social hangout spots at night need to be looked into through grants for alternative night-time social activities. I'm not too sure what could happen, possibly look into pedestrianising certain areas of city villages to allow for cafe bars to offer outdoor seating so there could be a bit of atmosphere if people wanted to go for a few nibbles and a responsible beer or glass of wine. When I was in Spain a few years ago living with a family, the parents headed to a local café bar at like 11pm at night for a glass of wine or a coffee and some tapas. They chatted with the neighbours who also went and were only there for an hour or so but didn't require more than a glass of wine to enjoy themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

Some interesting points raised in this thread. And it makes you think... Would the alcohol situation be so bad if alcohol was not demonised do much, and harder to get etc? (the closing times, the prices etc)
    Look at other European countries where drink is actually cheaper but they have no huge alcohol problems. Because its relaxed. You don't have to neck the drink during such a strict time frame etc.

The problem is there - so would cutting all these over measures help? I think so in the long run . And drink related offences need to be taken more seriously.

I actually wonder when compared to other countries how serious our (as a country) drink problem is. A lot of people get rat arsed. But how many do so and cause trouble or get behind a wheel? A small portion id say!

Everyone can see these measures are nothing but
    - getting in more taxes etc!
    - an attempt to hopefully pushing people towards the pubs not the supermarket
    - gaining more control for whatever reasons they have - power is powerful and heady

If people want drink they'll pay. But they might be pissed off enough at the measures to stay home, brew their own of make weekly Ryanair flights to the uk to get blotto on a night out in London cos its probably cheaper than a night in dublin even with the flight (instead of a taxi) I jest, but it sounds likely at the rate they are going!

One thing seems certain. It will not bring in more revenue for the government if that's what they're thinking. And it won't bring in more money for publicans.

While people will pay they can't spend what they haven't got and the vast majority haven't got the money for regular trips to their local p"sser.

The measures have little effect on me cos I drink very little i know I have not got hollow legs. When at home I like the occasional brandy. I will not buy a brandy in a pub. Same with baileys and even wine. The sh"tty measure you get at the extortionate prices - I stick to beer if at a pub.
    So it sucks that even at home I'll probably end up stuck with beer if they tax drink any more.

I liked that line I saw above 'got a problem? Tax it into oblivion'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Did I hear the news right - they are calling this the 'Social responsibility levy' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Nyan Cat wrote: »
    Some interesting points raised in this thread. And it makes you think... Would the alcohol situation be so bad if alcohol was not demonised do much, and harder to get etc? (the closing times, the prices etc)
    Look at other European countries where drink is actually cheaper but they have no huge alcohol problems. Because its relaxed. You don't have to neck the drink during such a strict time frame etc.

The problem is there - so would cutting all these over measures help? I think so in the long run . And drink related offences need to be taken more seriously.

I actually wonder when compared to other countries how serious our (as a country) drink problem is. A lot of people get rat arsed. But how many do so and cause trouble or get behind a wheel? A small portion id say!

Everyone can see these measures are nothing but
    - getting in more taxes etc!
    - an attempt to hopefully pushing people towards the pubs not the supermarket
    - gaining more control for whatever reasons they have - power is powerful and heady

If people want drink they'll pay. But they might be pissed off enough at the measures to stay home, brew their own of make weekly Ryanair flights to the uk to get blotto on a night out in London cos its probably cheaper than a night in dublin even with the flight (instead of a taxi) I jest, but it sounds likely at the rate they are going!

One thing seems certain. It will not bring in more revenue for the government if that's what they're thinking. And it won't bring in more money for publicans.

While people will pay they can't spend what they haven't got and the vast majority haven't got the money for regular trips to their local p"sser.

The measures have little effect on me cos I drink very little i know I have not got hollow legs. When at home I like the occasional brandy. I will not buy a brandy in a pub. Same with baileys and even wine. The sh"tty measure you get at the extortionate prices - I stick to beer if at a pub.
    So it sucks that even at home I'll probably end up stuck with beer if they tax drink any more.

I liked that line I saw above 'got a problem? Tax it into oblivion'

We had a huge drink driving problem in the 70's and 80's, laws did change attitudes, same with seat belts.

It's a strange one, I don't think this tax will work, but I can see the argument that drink is far too available. I've relations who are alcoholics and nope, having an off licence in the local Spar doesn't help! Saying that, I know recovering Alcoholics and more off licences has meant nothing, maybe even made them more determined!

Its an interesting one, don't think liberalisation of laws has made that much of a difference, but drink driving laws did.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭Nyan Cat

It begs the question though. Did drink driving improve because of
    - licensing hours / pub hours
    - increases education and awareness about dangers on the road
    - greater education of those dangers from school age
    - driving offence laws. Points, fines etc?

Could be a mix of it all. But the last one looks like the main one. The only one that doesn't demonise drink in some way. Just the offence. It's food for thought anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

K-9 wrote: »
    We had a huge drink driving problem in the 70's and 80's, laws did change attitudes, same with seat belts.

Its an interesting one, don't think liberalisation of laws has made that much of a difference, but drink driving laws did.

Drink driving laws didn't do it.
    Policing did.

If your ass got busted every time you became a fucktard with drink then people would soon start to learn.
    Is it Australia where they take your driving licence off you if you breach an asbo?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

yoyo wrote: »
    There was a student in Cork I think only a few months back who got locked in a nightclub, tryed a "shortcut" on the way home and fell off a steep ledge and died. Very tragic incident which couldn't be blamed on the off license drink.
    Don't most anti social arrests/A&E admissions happen to people drinking in pubs and clubs anyway? How about pubs and clubs are made to be responsible for serving a person more than 4 drinks (the "limit" otherwise its hazerdous drinking according to these "experts") *Maybe I shouldn't be giving them ideas!* :pac:

Nick

Do you ever say "Yo Yo Bow wow wow yippy yo yippy yay" when you come into a thread? If not, you totally should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Could be a mix of it all. But the last one looks like the main one. The only one that doesn't demonise drink in some way. Just the offence. It's food for thought anyway...

I don't think licencing hours changed much

Increased education and awareness, yep, through nanny statism ads and laws! ;)

Greater education, yes, eventually,as it became accepted opinion. Nanny statism! ;)

Laws! Probably part of it too, the harder to get at bunch, still meets opposition, could be an Irish thing, probably not!
    mikom wrote: »
    Policing did.

If your ass got busted every time you became a fucktard with drink then people would soon start to learn.
    Is it Australia where they take your driving licence off you if you breach an asbo?

I don't think policing did it Mikom, because we are still policing it massively, despite huge societal attitude changes. I'd say a part of it, but a minority part, society rejecting it was a bigger part.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Jim_Kiy wrote: »
    GET YOUR FILTHY HANDS OF MY BAVARIA (6 FOR 8.99)

Screw the lot of them I'll home brew my own piss from now on.

How much will the cheapest cans be after the new pricing is brought in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Drink driving differs from binge drinking in that it directly endanger others, not just the drinker. Unless you're prone to becoming violent when intoxicated during a binge you're not likely to harm anyone but yourself. Of course there are societal costs that everyone pays when people binge drink so it's hardly a harmless activity either.

What I want to know is why this body and our government are ignoring the widely reported fact that alcohol consumption is this country has fallen by 17% over the past decade.

Just another of our governments blatant attempts to appease their friends. This entire legislation is nothing but a way to further protect the publicans of this country who refuse to accept the fact that in a changing society you adapt or die.

Give it a few years and they'll bring in similiar legislation to increase the cost of junk food and then they'll start prohibiting access to adult films/books/music in case they affect the moral values the government thinks we should embrace. Within the next ten years i can see this country becoming one where every aspect of our daily life is controlled by the government.

They are all ready in the process of restricting what we can access on the Internet aswell as restricting access to alcohol. There's also talk of a sugar tax. And let's not forget Ruari Quinn who wants to see the Internet further strangled in a bid to allow the printed news a resurgence.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

It's absurd.

''in order to curb sales of cheap alcohol to teenagers and problem drinkers.''

In fairness, the people who abuse alcohol and are ''problem drinkers'' will still find a way to get the alcohol no matter what price it is. It's the same type of thing as how the off licences can't sell alcohol after 10pm law - the people who abuse alcohol will make damn sure they get their stock before 10pm. The only people laws like this hurt are the people who drink sensibly in the first place.

It's all excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

mikom wrote: »
    Policing did.

Could not agree more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

In the report it says our consumption of alcohol has dropped by 17% in the last decade despite drink prices dropping by quite a lot , so how does increasing the price mean people will drink less, unless they plan on doubling the prices.
    Given that the reports own figures show our drink consumption is almost the same as most of Europe (slightly lower than some, slightly higher than others ), whats the big problem?

It's absurd.

''in order to curb sales of cheap alcohol to teenagers and problem drinkers.''

In fairness, the people who abuse alcohol and are ''problem drinkers'' will still find a way to get the alcohol no matter what price it is. It's the same type of thing as how the off licences can't sell alcohol after 10pm law - the people who abuse alcohol will make damn sure they get their stock before 10pm. The only people laws like this hurt are the people who drink sensibly in the first place.

It's all excuses.

It's all a money making scam, the government doesn't give a rat's ass whether you live or die.
    They're desperate for cash and will tax anything.

On people who have a serious alcohol abuse problem:
    Making every second checkout alcohol free, that's just WTF is that supposed to do?
    Retarded, does nothing, why.
    Restricting hours, I just buy when I can. It's not that I only buy alcohol after 10.
    The only way to force alcoholics not to drink is to make alcohol completely unavailable anywhere at any time at any price. In short, ban it completely.
    And then they will drink perfume, meths, rubbing alcohol, etc...
    The ban-hammer alone is useless and achieves nothing except maybe a few deaths because people will drink anything they think might have alcohol in it.
    But it is so much easier to beat your chest and do the King Kong roar so everyone will applaud you because you are a "strong man", you "thump the table" and you do "something!".
    All this only so the government won't have to actually engage with people and maybe come up with intelligent solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Well realistically if the figures are anything to go by then drink should be given away free and we'll stop abusing it altogether;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

In the interests of public health? I doubt it. It is to make the subjects citizens of Ireland more productive little ants so we can better pay to keep banks solvent.

Politicians - "we have to address the alcohol problem because it costs the economy x billion a year."

Screw you politician how about addressing the politician problem that is costing the economy many more billions a year.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

Advertisement