Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    Ahh ok I thought that you might have known the car or something 'tis clear in your edit :).
    Those Mondeos represent very good value imo. They are still quite a modern, clean looking design. Certainly no one would be embarrassed to be seen in it (unless it has blue flashing lights) unlike the Hyundai accident above.
    Oh absolutely I understand that, but what I'm trying to say is that you would generally think that someone driving one of those Mondeos is better off than someone driving an accent even if they cost the same to buy. Not to mention how much safer and more refined the Mondeo is.
    Seeing as a Passat or an A4 of the same vintage would be over twice as much the Mondeo seams like a no brainer to me.

I used to draw parallels between how well off people were and the car they drove when I was in secondary school :)

I know it's the done thing by many on here but it's really a tad silly imo.

Considering the Mondeo has €400 worth of tax and they are asking €1000 I'd be thinking it's w@nked tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

RoverJames wrote: »
    I used to draw parallels between how well off people were and the car they drove when I was in secondary school :)

Considering the Mondeo has €400 worth of tax and they are asking €1000 I'd be thinking it's w@nked tbh.

My thoughts too, hence my questioning of the DMF or if it's a fleet car etc.... It must be on it's 2nd one at that mileage. The cost to fit it would cover the remaining €600 easily! :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Anybody got an opinion on this? GF is looking for an A >> B car and has come up with this. She was talking to the owner today who is keeping it until Saturday for her, dropped to €500 too

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4768716

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Melion wrote: »
    Anybody got an opinion on this? GF is looking for an A >> B car and has come up with this. She was talking to the owner today who is keeping it until Saturday for her, dropped to €500 too

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4768716

approach it like this.....

does it start, go and run/idle ok?
    does it brake well? From speed? Handbrake? Look at the pads if you can?
    does all the electrical sh!t work?
    Check the engine bay, check for HG etc, usual checks.
    check paperwork and whatever else he or she has

for €500, don;t expect a lot, but just give it an honest look over and satisify yourself.

I'm strangley drawn towards this.....I think they aged well actually, in comparison to their saloon sister, who now looks soooooooooooo dated.....

nct, no leathers but auto, sunroof and some other bits... might take €1200 or so

View2-17079152.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4480656

also, in contract to this pimp mobile, its looks much better value.
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4767388

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

@MidlandsM - not that it probably matters but the pics dont look recent - kind of summery vibe to them

00833827 wrote: »
    @MidlandsM - not that it probably matters but the pics dont look recent - kind of summery vibe to them

yeah, you could be right ..may not be recent pics indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭high horse

MidlandsM wrote: »
    yeah, you could be right ..may not be recent pics indeed

Looks like a 4 door saloon in the photos, I'd guess that they're just photo's from the internet and not photos of the actual car.

high horse wrote: »
    Looks like a 4 door saloon in the photos, I'd guess that they're just photo's from the internet and not photos of the actual car.

nawwww, its a coupe in all the pics HH

nawwww, its a coupe in all the pics HH

Doesn't matter now, it's sold!

• Advertisement

high horse wrote: »
    Doesn't matter now, it's sold!

nope, still for sale on DD HH :pac:

nope, still for sale on DD HH :pac:

Have another look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

1.1 million miles on the light blue one. It's a typo.... isn't it? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

166man wrote: »
    Anyone here ever tried playing bangernomics with Autotrader UK instead of Donedeal? It's so much more fun and interesting!

I know our tax system limits it somewhat and they have more choice but it's interesting to see what you can buy over there pound for pound within the bangernomics budget.

Not much info with the advert.
    Looks like a nice car though. Might be worth a look for someone up that end of the country.
    Asking £400 stg.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4658651

View2-17979300.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4771431

04 toyota avensis eventless. 14 months NCT, 6 months tax. getting close to having a high mileage but seeing as its a 1 owner car, it could well have been maintained.

would be ok for 1750 i reckon. long discs, presentable, reliable car.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,151 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

00833827 wrote: »

Did you not spot the ice on the driveway? :p

W123-80's wrote: »
    Not much info with the advert.
    Looks like a nice car though. Might be worth a look for someone up that end of the country.
    Asking £400 stg.

What's the point though? Nice car for £400. But VRT is €720, needs an NCT straight away (might very well fail), needs tax straight away and it is far from a bargain if you add all that up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭W123-80's

unkel wrote: »
    What's the point though? Nice car for £400. But VRT is €720, needs an NCT straight away (might very well fail), needs tax straight away and it is far from a bargain if you add all that up.

Ya your right in fairness. Was just dazzled by the £400 asking!

Forester with new NCT

View2-18051600.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4673348

It could just be the light but do the doors look a different colour to the rest of the car? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

any thoughts on this?

might take a look tmorrow if no-one can give me a reason not to

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4726000

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

serious3 wrote: »
    any thoughts on this?

might take a look tmorrow if no-one can give me a reason not to

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4726000

price has near doubled by the time you've taxed it. rep wheels would have me raising an eyebrow too, but how bad i suppose.

Nice W210 - one of the most comfortable cars on the road. Auto, low tax, new NCT. Go for it! :)

typical, trying to ring him and no network out here, no landline either!!

serious3 wrote: »
    typical, trying to ring him and no network out here, no landline either!!

you would think if a lad was trying to sell a car he'd answer the phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

RoverJames wrote: »

Well if you think it's silly that's your own business. I would rather drive a Mondeo over an Accent as would most humans. It's simply a better car in every measurable way.

You seam to be missing the point I was making about the age of the cars, I was saying that those Mondeos are a clean sleek well proportioned car that has aged well. The Hyundai looks like a steaming sack of sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

You seam to be missing the point I was making about the age of the cars, I was saying that those Mondeos are a clean sleek well proportioned car that has aged well. The Hyundai looks like a steaming sack of sh*t.

Honestly it's like asking someone what type of diarrhea they'd prefer on a Wednesday morning.

Both cars are a bit shyte. Personally I'd prefer the Accent if I was on a limited budget. One clutch change on the Mondeo rights it off as too expensive to repair if it goes wrong. Bigger tax, high fuel consumption.

If you want a cheap to run car that can be picked up for peanuts and kept on the road for very little I'd take the Accent.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Honestly it's like asking someone what type of diarrhea they'd prefer on a Wednesday morning.

Both cars are a bit shyte. Personally I'd prefer the Accent if I was on a limited budget. One clutch change on the Mondeo rights it off as too expensive to repair if it goes wrong. Bigger tax, high fuel consumption.

If you want a cheap to run car that can be picked up for peanuts and kept on the road for very little I'd take the Accent.

Each to their own but IMO the accent is one of the worst things mankind ever produced.
    I would rather drive a Mondeo that only ever played Jedward than drive an accent. I do understand that it would be cheaper but at the point of considering running an accent I would admit that I can't afford to drive.

Seems too good to be true.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4689507

Full-18315974.jpeg

EDIT: Never mind, thought it had NCT for a year

Moving swiftly on.....

Well if you think it's silly that's your own business........

Just to clarify, I have no doubt the Mondeo (as a model not the specific one dgt linked to as I reckon it's probably in bits) is a better car than an Accent, that's irrefutable :) I drove a diesel Mondeo for a year and drive an Accent occasionally so am very familiar with both. As a bangernomics proposition the Accents I linked to are better than the Mondeo for so many people, the odd lunatic might find a 2002 Mondeo with €400 of tax advertised for a grand a good idea but I imagine they'd regret it come NCT time if indeed it go that far as is :)

What I think is silly is making presumptions on how well off people are or otherwise based on the car they drive, plenty do that so you're not alone :)

Some people think Levins are a wannabe scumbag wagon, stereotypes and narrow minds etc etc ;)

running an Accent costs about as much as a Levin too so you can just about afford to drive by your own logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement