Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭aodhan2

BMW 318ci with leather, no NCT but would be bought & put through NCT for well below bangernomics money. http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4759801

Disclaimer: it's mine!

i had a bmw 316 and the tyres were very expensive , he says four tires and a water pump , plus an nct and maybe tax . guts of 1000-1500 perhaps ? on that it seems expensive. but its nice !

166man wrote: »
    .......... you wouldn't put a new water pump in it, lash it through the NCT though no? ........

Water pump wouldn't be overly cheap to do, part alone would be €120/€150 :)

Seller is as well off selling as is rather than "investing" the guts of a grand (4 tryes needed too) in a car in the hope to recoup it in the sale.

I'd be wary buying a car with a coolant system issue personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

RoverJames wrote: »
    Yeah, especially if it is a BMW ;).

BTW, not sure how different the pump is to a 6-cylinder model, but I remember few years ago I paid for one for my 523iA about €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Water pump wouldn't be overly cheap to do, part alone would be €120/€150 :)

Seller is as well off selling as is rather than "investing" the guts of a grand (4 tryes needed too) in a car in the hope to recoup it in the sale.

Could get 4 decent part worns for all for corners for under €200.

I agree on the coolant issue though, still could be a few hundred quid in it with the work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I agree on the coolant issue though, still could be a few hundred quid in it with the work done.
    If you go a DIY route, it is not even a half an hour, an easy job if can hold a spanner ;).

• Advertisement

2001 Santa Fe with 5 months test, 130k ish miles and a few dings on the hatchback... asking €800.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4752974

View2-18456603.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

NCT till Dec 14, €2200

The dreaded 2.0D....
    Full-18340118.jpeg

Yes, piss poor choice from me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 65,130 ✭✭✭✭unkel

dgt wrote: »

LOL, for once it would have been a better deal if it were a petrol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Looks good for the money being asked, you wouldn't put a new water pump in it, lash it through the NCT though no? You could ask significantly more money by doing so. I understand if it's a quick sale though, I did read the ad!

Cheers, yea I had thought of that, but if it was back running again 1. I'd probably keep driving it and not sell it 2. If I was to sell it and bring the price up to 1250-1500 I'd be ages selling it and would end up just breaking even on the effort.

Its "worth" much more than 1500 when working but the market is flooded with e46's so the selling price is never really above that privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭bambam26

NCT till Dec 14, €2200

The dreaded 2.0D....
    Full-18340118.jpeg

Lads what is wrong with these,was looking into getting one as I heard they were a decent car ?

bambam26 wrote: »
    Lads what is wrong with these,was looking into getting one as I heard they were a decent car ?
    Are you sure it wasn't the ever reliable diesel 626 that you heard about? There isn't much decent about a diesel 6

2.0D is a pile of crap. Google it, search for it here. It's rubbish, simple as. A short summary of what goes wrong:

Big end bearings fail, oil consumption makes an Alfas look normal, high pressure pumps fail... All expensive

Sign of a failing pump is a rough idle, followed by poor starting then no starting.

Oil starvation is without warning. Keep on top of the oil, use a fully synthetic oil.

My advice is avoid like the plague (and my piss poor choice.... I make mistakes now and again) and go for a petrol one

• Registered Users Posts: 22,106 ✭✭✭✭Esel

2001 Santa Fe with 5 months test, 130k ish miles and a few dings on the hatchback... asking €800.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4752974

View2-18456603.jpeg
    NCT till Dec 14, €2200

The dreaded 2.0D....
    Full-18340118.jpeg

Not knocking your picks lads, but when I'm looking for a car and the ad says "Call Santa-FE on 0876656943 " or "Call mazda on 0876923550 ", I immediately click the back button. Imo, a seller who won't put their name on the ad isn't worth wasting time on.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Not knocking your picks lads, but when I'm looking for a car and the ad says "Call Santa-FE on 0876656943 " or "Call mazda on 0876923550 ", I immediately click the back button. Imo, a seller who won't put their name on the ad isn't worth wasting time on.

I'm open to a good knocking for picking a diesel 6.... Long NCT is why I slapped it there........

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Bargainomics rather than bangernomics! :)

Not your ornery onager

I agree it's annoying but not many people put their name on the ad. Imo it's not something to dismiss a car over as the seller could still be perfectly genuine but may not want to reveal their name until they have an idea who they are dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭bambam26

2.0D is a pile of crap. Google it, search for it here. It's rubbish, simple as. A short summary of what goes wrong:

Big end bearings fail, oil consumption makes an Alfas look normal, high pressure pumps fail... All expensive

Sign of a failing pump is a rough idle, followed by poor starting then no starting.

Oil starvation is without warning. Keep on top of the oil, use a fully synthetic oil.

My advice is avoid like the plague (and my piss poor choice.... I make mistakes now and again) and go for a petrol one

Thanks for the advice and heads up, just out of interest are the petrol one ok or just better than the diesel

Thanks for the advice and heads up, just out of interest are the petrol one ok or just better than the diesel
    The petrol ones are grand but if your going that route, you would be better off with a Honda Accord imo.

Imo at that end of the market if you're swayed by the seller to that degree you're at the wrong game, its all about the actual car :)

If the car is sound the seller is largely irrelevant, once the paperwork is legit, the focus should be on the car imo.

You'd be happier if they put down their Christian name in the add?

• Advertisement

Imo at that end of the market if you're swayed by the seller to that degree you're at the wrong game, its all about the actual car
    'Swayed' by the seller? You miss my point. 'Call ABC Motors on...' or at a push even 'Call < possibly false name, but at least a name > on...' is fine by me, but 'Call Car Make/Model on...' is definitely not - whether it is a banger or not. There are plenty of other cars out there. I'm sure you have your own foibles in this regard - something that makes you think 'That's bullshit, next'.
    You'd be happier if they put down their Christian name in the add?
    It's First Name, not Christian Name this long while. Better 'Call Francis on... than 'Call The Popemobile on...'

For me, 'Call Andrew Blake' > 'Call Andrew' > 'Call Make/Model'. It's a gut feeling at the end of the day.

Not your ornery onager

Call "possibly false name" fine by you but call "make/model" isnt?

Can't relate to that at all, as said, imo its all about the car :) not a whole pile of cheap Santa Fe yokes out there either. Your point was you wouldn't consider the car based on the add, the seller puts the add together so you're swayed by the seller.
    I won't even comment on the first name speel.

Call "possibly false name" fine by you but call "make/model" isnt?

Can't relate to that at all, as said, imo its all about the car :) not a whole pile of cheap Santa Fe yokes out there either. Your point was you wouldn't consider the car based on the add, the seller puts the add together so you're swayed by the seller.
    I won't even comment on the first name speel.
    Whatever. EOF for me on this side-issue.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Is your real name Esel?

Fair bowl if it is like, but if it isn't you're being fair hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭aodhan2

View2-18408486.jpeg

picked this up today for 550 , straight driver bit of nct and clean , glad i have studied this thread !!!
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4743611

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

aodhan2 wrote: »
    picked this up today for 550 , straight driver bit of nct and clean , glad i have studied this thread !!!
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4743611
    Once her flaps are alright and the backend isn't gone to dogs then you're laughin! Well wear.

Taxed and NCT'd.

View2?id=18510479

• Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Anyone here ever tried playing bangernomics with Autotrader UK instead of Donedeal? It's so much more fun and interesting!

I know our tax system limits it somewhat and they have more choice but it's interesting to see what you can buy over there pound for pound within the bangernomics budget.

shaaane wrote: »
    Taxed and NCT'd............

Auto and leather too :D

Top, top, top, top find, one of the best I've seen in here :)

• Advertisement

Auto and leather too :D

Top, top, top, top find, one of the best I've seen in here :)

Aww shucks :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement