Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Cheers for the reply.

I'd like the economy to be on the decent side anyway. Not too keen on the shape of the 323. Started off wanting a corolla but now I have just gone off them even though they have impeccable reliability.

As I say although I have real experience of the car I have read many people commenting on how them and the 1.4 Golf/ Octavia are very thirsty cars indeed. In fact some have suggested that you will get better economy from a 1.6 litre Bora and a much better drive. You need to remember that the 1.4 engine is hauling around a comparatively heavy body.

In general I'd rather the look of a Bora compared to a saloon Corolla or Mazda 323 but at the bangernomics end of the scale I think reliability takes preference. The hatchback 323/ Corollas look that bit better and arguably more modern than the saloons but that limits your choice and you might end up paying a small bit of a premium for them over saloon model
    No, it's just a piece of garbage, regardless of how well it was maintained.

Fair point and to be very honest I don't know the car well enough to make a defiante call. Was moreso mentioning what I had previously read about em on the motors forum. I suppose the point I was trying to make was that if you buy one that was neglected you can be damn sure and certian your going to end up with a lemon.

unkel wrote: »
    Funny spec. 3l, manual and no leather. And what is the real mileage / how old are those pics?

I like it anyway :)

I like it too. Ya I found the lack of leather a bit odd. That cloth interior is a bit miserable looking. God knows what the story is with the mileage. I hate when people put up those vague 3 or 4 line ads, especially for a big yoke like that!

Just noticed he's roughly 47055.88KM off with his miles to KM conversion! tongue.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

• Registered Users Posts: 64,800 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Wasn't the estate 9-5 posted here yesterday or the day before? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Wasn't the estate 9-5 posted here yesterday or the day before? :)

Oops:p

Apologies if it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Here is my contribution, 223k mile Turbo Forester with Matt wrap:
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4374400

Just serviced, needs next Service in June is confusing though..
    High mileage (17k+ yearly average, so if the clock is still climbing at the same rate, he's probably calculating the next service date from that?
    langdang wrote: »
    In fairness, the same asshat says it's a TDI BMW with MIVEC transmission.
    To be fair, he's only trying to sucker in the goms by filling every field with random keywords.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 22,004 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Redisle wrote: »
    Lovely machine. I'm pretty sure it looks black though and seems to be registered as green!
    The Combination B is green. I'd say it just looks black in the pics...

Same car, by any chance? 16" wheels look very similar (std were 15"), but the mileages don't match...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,861 ✭✭✭Soarer

dgt wrote: »
    NCT till Aug, 750

2 for the price of 1!
    Full-17474895.jpeg

Same cars are on the isdc for €700, so 50 quid lower starting price!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

Does anyone know anything about these?

This one has been on DoneDeal for a while now. He had it up initially without NCT and it went as low as €1,000.

With the NCT he's had it anywhere from €1,400 - €1,800. For the spec and the year, it looks like a solid buy. But I don't know about either reliability or fuel economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Far as I remember its not a GDI model despite him saying so in the ad.
    That's a good thing IMO.

Is it the same seller as before?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Esel wrote: »
    High mileage (17k+ yearly average, so if the clock is still climbing at the same rate, he's probably calculating the next service date from that?

To be fair, he's only trying to sucker in the goms by filling every field with random keywords.
    Ah yeah, I didn't think he actually believed that - my point was he'll put anything in the ad to get his money, kinda undermines the plausibility of anything he might say about the condition or faults of the car.
    Sick of donedeal search spamming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

Alfa Wagon, looks clean, Leather, tax till April, NCT till March, Decent miles -

asking 1250, located in Dublin

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4561930

View2-17486867.jpeg

might be cos of the poor light in the pics but does the side on shot of the passenger side look resprayed - im guessing its the light

Nice but needs a new NCT for that kinda money...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Bought this last night:

Surprising good interior, tailgate latch not closing fully, unbalanced and chinese tyres otherwise better than expected. Amazed the engine is so smooth with 220k miles on it.

Left it over for a headlight and wheel alignment and balancing this morning. Also bought Plugs, Oil and Filters. Perhaps Im doing it wrong (ie spending too much) but want to make this reliable for at least 5k miles with some long distances trips across country. After that not so worried!

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/mattsimis/Forester/1be5faec-975c-4800-b4e2-e33815604701_zps6645d07c.jpg

Nice but needs a new NCT for that kinda money...
    *Sold as seen and driven* in ad, car for sale with less than 3months NCT, when a new 12month+ NCT would obviously enhance the saleability and/or price for the dealer.
    Expensive issue there somewhere... or just poor business acumen.

I know I keep saying it, but less than 3months NCT is nearly worse than no NCT IMO.

edit -I'm agreeing with ya Unkel, rather than arguing by the way. Hard to convey tone online, sometimes when I think when I just quote somebody and restate or expand what they've said - it can sound like looking for an argument

Well worth investing a small few quid imo if you intend getting use out of it :)
    Looks a decent bus.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Bought this last night:

Surprising good interior, tailgate latch not closing fully, unbalanced and chinese tyres otherwise better than expected. Amazed the engine is so smooth with 220k miles on it.

Left it over for a headlight and wheel alignment and balancing this morning. Also bought Plugs, Oil and Filters. Perhaps Im doing it wrong (ie spending too much) but want to make this reliable for at least 5k miles with some long distances trips across country. After that not so worried!
    Ya boy ya, well wear. Give a shout when you are finished with it, for all my issues with the sellers keyword spamming, I'd like that car for the craic..

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Silent Partner

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Far as I remember its not a GDI model despite him saying so in the ad.
    That's a good thing IMO.

Is it the same seller as before?

It looks like it is the same seller all along, yes.

Forgive my ignorance but the GDI engine is the Mitsubishi made engine is not? And they are bad?
    If it's not GDI, who makes the other engine? Volvo themselves?

It looks like it is the same seller all along, yes.

Forgive my ignorance but the GDI engine is the Mitsubishi made engine is not? And they are bad?
    If it's not GDI, who makes the other engine? Volvo themselves?
    GDI engine is Mitsubishi. Suffers from coking up of the ports/valves - will sound tappety when it happens - clattery/ticky noise. Due to direct injection and EGR I think, dunno how other manufacturers got around that.

The other petrol engines are Volvo made. I'd be with Colm in preferring one of them. Eek - just had a thought - not sure if the 1.6 is volvo or mitsubishi, or how common that is in the estate.

Matt Simis goes bangerbusnomics :cool: :p

Well wear :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 405 ✭✭00833827

00833827 wrote: »
    Fresh looking Saab 95 wagon in Waterford - €1000

auto, 2l petrol -

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4304826

View2-16241309.jpeg

Short test though and miles a little high i think

That Saab didn't hang around

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The ad is brilliant: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/damagedcars/4508706

The car might actually be salvageable as a run around for someone if you hit the breakers yards and did the work yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭ek motor

Sleepy wrote: »
    The ad is brilliant: http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/damagedcars/4508706

The car might actually be salvageable as a run around for someone if you hit the breakers yards and did the work yourself.

haha great ad

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DAZP93

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4534252

Think this deserves a place up here..sounds quite honest

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

DAZP93 wrote: »

You'd think the seller would nct it before selling it.

DAZP93 wrote: »

If I were in the market, that would be mine already :)

Looks like it's on the original 15" alloys. Far better ride than the silly (but great looking) 18" M-pars I had on mine...

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    You'd think the seller would nct it before selling it.

Aye, would surely get a few hundred more with new test. Could be genuine reason though. He might already have other car so this car is uninsured / untaxed etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

All 4 hub caps off tells me it went for a test already and failed ;)

View2-17344535.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Matt Simis goes bangerbusnomics :cool: :p

Well wear :)

Never underestimate the depths Im prepared to go to ensure Im not branded a BMW-fanboy... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Ring seller ask for date of registration (Tell them you need it for insurance reasons or some bolloxs.

Then onto Ncts and go book yourself an nct.

When you get past the first page it will tell you what centre it was tested in and when, IE. Where and when it failed.

Bingo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement