Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Saab Ed wrote: »

Thanks Im on the lookout for a late model 9000 2.0t myself in that price bracket..preferably a 96 anniversary model with all the toys:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I've my eye out for one of these at the moment. The one above had a new VRC issued 11/12/12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Barry Barry

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Nice car, 1.4 75hp. Scarily light car compared to modern stuff safety wise

Nothing compared to a GTi so :p

I thought it would cost a bomb to insure but got a reasonable quote from Axa today.

I'll do a bit of homework before I go to view and update everyone later on in the week.

Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Nothing compared to a GTi so :p

I thought it would cost a bomb to insure but got a reasonable quote from Axa today.

I'll do a bit of homework before I go to view and update everyone later on in the week.

Fingers crossed

It only weighs 800 odd kg.

It's not quick on paper, but they're like a little go kart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Lads, what are Peugeot 106 Quiksilvers like? I'm going to look at one next week; 1999, 88k on the clock, NCT until 6/13 and tax until 3.13 for €900.

If anything like my one, a cracking handling little car

• Advertisement

dgt wrote: »
    If anything like my one, a cracking handling little car

Have you still got yours dgt? Anything in particular to look out for?

Have you still got yours dgt? Anything in particular to look out for?

I do indeed still have it!

Keypad immobiliser vcan give trouble with age, but can be easily bypassed. Central locking can also give trouble. Beware of lowered examples that theyre not lowered by nicks!!!

My one has a broken seat, I don't know how...

Not a bad little car though, the 1.1 is lively enough!

dgt wrote: »
    I do indeed still have it!

Keypad immobiliser vcan give trouble with age, but can be easily bypassed. Central locking can also give trouble. Beware of lowered examples that theyre not lowered by nicks!!!

My one has a broken seat, I don't know how...

Not a bad little car though, the 1.1 is lively enough!

Did the Quiksilver come from the factory with half leather? I don't think they did but the guy who owns it says its got the same seats as a GTi from factory.

Its a bog standard car apart from the seats (unless they turn out to be factory) which makes me want the car so much!!

Was thinking of upgrades like air filter and maybe a nice exhaust, not a stupid 4" piece of crap though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

If you have big feet Barry Barry, you'll find the cramped pedal box hard to drive and live with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Only for those who know what they're up to but is this a pile of shiote or a bargain at 300 quid! You decide.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4334655

View2-16382328.jpeg

I'm guessing there's a few expensive labour jobs to be done like balljoints and the like. If you could do it yourself then there's potential for this car to be perfect for fook all. Needs a good look over though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

From the pics,

Wing respray needed pass side
    Wing drivers side wrong shade
    Bonnet off line (maybe its must open)
    Suspect Front shocks as sitting high

You'd get a nice one for €500 more. That yoke will never be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

From the pics,

Also, what happened in the boot? Must've been something nasty considering they have about 10 air fresheners in there :D

Utter scrap...........utter utter fcuking scrap..........why post a henhouse like that here, with no test, no tax, no nothing but muck.......

From the pics,

80 quid to paint the wing at mates rates, two shocks in the scrapyard another 80, allow 100 quid on bits and bobs, 3-4 hours of your time plus a test. I don't think 600 odd quid for that yoke is a bad investment. Won't blow you away mind, not the worlds greatest bargain ever but me thinks you'd also get a small profit on it after driving it for 6 months too.

Maybe I'm just bored and fancy rescuing something again. The real key with bangers is knowing how far they can be pushed. Most would (and probably should) walk away from a yoke like that. It is only for those who know what they're up to. I've rescued and done well out of far worse though. But like I said, only if you know what you'r e getting in to. Ordinary punters will be and should be scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,013 ✭✭✭✭unkel

@dgt - you haven't been paying attention here - that 9-5 you posted just had the turbo replaced - run! :D :pac: :p
    Fuh Q wrote: »
    Ahh lads, its a diesel Toyota

Toyota + diesel = 100% satisfaction for most people in this country :D

(Some of us do want more from a car though. A lot more ;))

Some nice estates there both the W210 and the E39. Unfortunately SWMBO has vetoed any of them :(

SaabEd, its scrap............give it up.........

MidlandsM wrote: »
    SaabEd, its scrap............give it up.........

Honestly, my instinct says worth a look. Just years of looking I suppose. I love nothing better than a rough car in some bad phots, most people have the judge and jury out on it there and then. That's the one I'll watch like a halk. You wouldn't believe how many times I've gone to look at what you'd call "scrap" and I've hit the jackpot.

Like I said, it'll never make you a fortune but to decide its junk on the back of a Crap internet ad is madness. Using your own logic, a shiny car on a super ad is a great buy. You always have to have a look, that's all I'm saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Utter scrap...........utter utter fcuking scrap..........why post a henhouse like that here, with no test, no tax, no nothing but muck.......

Umm...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,013 ✭✭✭✭unkel

but to decide its junk on the back of a Crap internet ad is madness.

You could very well be right about that car, who knows? But chances are it's just scrap. Which means time + money wasted going to see it

I'm just saying, with the way the market is at the moment, why take the chance of a wasted journey? Many others out there that have more potential...

unkel wrote: »

You could very well be right about that car, who knows? But chances are it's just scrap. Which means time + money wasted going to see

Yup , with you 100%. But to write it off before you've even seen it!

Let me put it this way. If you were actually looking for one of these , chances are the cleaner one at 500 quid more will still need a couple of hundred quid spent on it too. Now if you can end up with a car costing you 3-400 quid less for what is in essence the same car, wouldn't you feel stupid if you found out afterwards that you past by a gem.

Then once I have the scrap cleaned up, I drive it for 3 months and sell it for 500 quid more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

Yup , with you 100%. But to write it off before you've even seen it!

Let me put it this way. If you were actually looking for one of these , chances are the cleaner one at 500 quid more will still need a couple of hundred quid spent on it too. Now if you can end up with a car costing you 3-400 quid less for what is in essence the same car, wouldn't you feel stupid if you found out afterwards that you past by a gem.

Then once I have the scrap cleaned up, I drive it for 3 months and sell it for 500 quid more.

5 or 6 years ago, those was number thousands euro , very expensive, I was looking on few of them, couldnt afford that time. ... and didnt really know them.
    In my point of view, if you have some money .. say 1k or so euro to spend on car , buy cheap car, for lets say 300-400 euro, main thing is engine, gearbox ok, body not rusty, all the rest money spend towards get that car right ... tyres, suspension, clutch, servicing, timingbelt etc(assuming doing all work myself) ., at the end spend 1 k, for car, but it is right condition(like my avensis at the moment) , .. happy days.

2002 Volvo S40 1.8 with NCT until 6/13 for €800
    View2-15748810.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4198038

1993 Merc 220E with tax and NCT until 6/13 + turns classic in a few days for €800
    View2-16414930.jpeg
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4341716

2001 Nissan Delivery 2.3 with DOE done today for €950
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4282479

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

^^Thats a very good way to buy Matrix assuming you are in a position to do the work yourself.

Important to remember that not everyone is in a position to do this kind of work themselves. And if you need to drop it into garage to get these sort of repairs done then it quickly becomes a more expensive way to buy....

2001 Nissan Delivery 2.3 with DOE done today for €950
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4282479

christ that van is pure creamer scrap.........:eek:

christ that van is pure creamer scrap.........:eek:

And how would you know that? You seem to think everything is 'scrap' don't you?

If its passed DOE today its most likely running good. Lose the black stripes and it looks okay-ish.

Looking closely at the pictures, the body looks straight enough

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

That Nissan Van isn't the worst, worth a look at the price if you need something to lug stuff around. Back looks clean.

As for the 406 coupe? I'd say it's worth a punt if you can get it for sub 300. Could turn out to be nice if you can get it fixed for <500 euros.

2002 Alfa Romeo 1.6 lusso, NCT until 2014 and tax until 4/13 (going by whats in the ad I think thats what the seller means)
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/4342716

And how would you know that? You seem to think everything is 'scrap' don't you?

If its passed DOE today its most likely running good. Lose the black stripes and it looks okay-ish.

Looking closely at the pictures, the body looks straight enough

Barry, those vanettes and the like ARE pure scrap, even when they were new......0 to 60 in a fortnight, unreliable spanish built nissan muck.....half shaft oil seals leaking galore........yes, SCRAP ..........and as for the DOE......lol.......a valid DOE can be bought......a DOE cert can be as bent as a 6 euro note..........lol........

and to be honest, that volvo you posted, is end of life scrap too......

on a lighter note, the engine cover on that 156 looks errrrmmmmmmmmm, RUFF !! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    That looks like a good motor!

Shame it's silver though!

Amazingly it actually has the correct leather interior for the year with the armrest, doorcards and all. I think those seats have the integrated airbags. My own came retrofitted with the earlier leather with the embroidered crest on the backrest & it looks like it replaced cloth seats that used to have airbags as there is disconnected yellow wires under the seat!

The steering wheel was repaired/replaced at some point in that one judging by the total lack of wear @121k miles. That or it could be a cover. The center console was also replaced, those two cracks on the gear stick surround are caused by someone missing a screw when pulling it off and cracking it instead. Someone did the same on my one. It probably came with the timber effect originally. Kind of odd that it was spec'd with a sunroof but manual back windows too.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement