Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

Saab Ed wrote: »

Full-12349106.jpeg

dat a$$

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

And while we're at it, the best car in the world ever .....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3278029
    Nice find!

The fact that it has been on the market for 22 days says everything about the state of the market.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

View2-11276959.jpeg
    ****! at 1k eu its a fecking bargain! :eek:

It's been for sale a lot longer than 22 days, I nearly went to have a look at it in April. Basic equipment level and isn't the fastest but if it's technically fine it's a good enough price, that's what they are going for these days.

The last truly great Mercedes before the cost cutting started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

bijapos wrote: »
    The last truly great Mercedes before the cost cutting started.

How many miles has it got left ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

523i
    Tax & Test (though it doesn't say for how long)
    No leather :(
    But €600 asking price means it has to fall into bangernomics :)

Full-11909285.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3407444

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Top Dog wrote: »
    523i
    Tax & Test (though it doesn't say for how long)
    No leather :(
    But €600 asking price means it has to fall into bangernomics :)

Full-11909285.jpeg

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3407444

Nice find. A good valet and a used leather interior from a scrappie makes that a nice car I think. Looks very clean

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Any brave souls out there willing to take one of these on?

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3305507

Looks straight and clean to me in the pictures which were perhaps a wee while back judging by the price he has on the windscreen.

Generally speaking, an XJ from before 2000 or with more than 100k on the clock is a risk. Generally speaking. One with both is probably a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

rocky wrote: »
    dat a$$

Full-12349105.jpeg

Butter Face!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Sorry, i don't understand what you mean by this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

DL plate could suggest its missing 50k but worth a look as a bargain load lugger.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3504358

View2-12363700.jpeg

• Advertisement

And more Luxonomics ....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3504309

View2-12363446.jpeg

NCT'ed yesterday .

Holy God, here's another one ....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3504892

View2-12366273.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

I think this is the first time I've ever seen a Baleno estate! Didn't even know they existed!

bijapos wrote: »
    Sorry, i don't understand what you mean by this.

I saw others which with 50k miles have to be clocked or involved in major shenanigans but this one is a 95 Registration and already has over 200,000 Miles on the clock. Great car or not, I am wondering how many more miles could a potential buyer expect to squeeze out of it in the future ? Sure I could even be a potential buyer if I was prepared to live with the tax and insurance but not if the engine will blow up within 6 months. What do the experts think about how many miles would be left in it ? I think it's a reasonable question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Can we have a €1000 cut-off for Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II , would that be a realistic price for a banger ??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Capri wrote: »
    Can we have a €1000 cut-off for Bangernomics car of the week/day - Part II , would that be a realistic price for a banger ??:confused:

Far too low IMO. Asking price of a grand rules out some crackers. 2k is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

I saw others which with 50k miles have to be clocked or involved in major shenanigans but this one is a 95 Registration and already has over 200,000 Miles on the clock. Great car or not, I am wondering how many more miles could a potential buyer expect to squeeze out of it in the future ? Sure I could even be a potential buyer if I was prepared to live with the tax and insurance but not if the engine will blow up within 6 months. What do the experts think about how many miles would be left in it ? I think it's a reasonable question.

200,000 miles is not that much really. Where I'm from, a lot of cars for sale from that era have over 400,000 km (around 250,000 miles) on the clock and are still going strong.

View2-11276959.jpeg

Not being smart but engine wise if it has been serviced correctly and continues to be you could be looking at another 200,000 miles easy :)

I don't know about the auto box on them but realistically what spells the end for a car like that would be the likes of it needing a set of tyres, an exhaust, a service and maybe some suspension work, it can get difficult to justify putting that much cash into keeping a car worth so little on the road.

You'd replace it with a much more modern Volvo 7 seater for under €1500 very easily.

but43r wrote: »
    200,000 miles is not that much really. Where I'm from, a lot of cars for sale from that era have over 400,000 km (around 250,000 miles) on the clock and are still going strong.
    RoverJames wrote: »
    Not being smart but engine wise if it has been serviced correctly and continues to be you could be looking at another 200,000 miles easy :)

I might have seen it as a better bet if it had been diesel though. Diesels seem to last longer but it's a petrol engine.

The likes of this would appeal more to me if needing a 7 seater and presuming I could come up with the extra €s to buy it....

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3496349

View2-12333408.jpeg

• Advertisement

A nice fresh looking C70 with a decent lash of NCT but taxing a 2.5 one of these would leave a sour taste when there are 2.3 T5s about ...

Asking €1299 in Dublin, 81k miles and 9 months NCT
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2898658

View2-9483355.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Capri wrote: »

Bangernomics is about the cheapest possible way to get around, basic cars at a basic price with NCT and Tax. Its used on here by people who dont fully understand the term 'bangernomics' its more 'i seen a car for sale thread'.

I've tryed to get it back to bangernomics before only to get shot down. They're happy with their wanked out 156's with no nct.

I Was VB wrote: »
    Bangernomics is about the cheapest possible way to get around..........

To me it also includes running a car that didn't cost a lot and selling it on without encountering much/any depreciation or maintenance costs relative to the time I had it.

I agree with your sentiment though to a huge degree.

Bangernomics is about the cheapest possible way to get around, basic cars at a basic price with NCT and Tax. Its used on here by people who dont fully understand the term 'bangernomics' its more 'i seen a car for sale thread'.

Define "cheapest"

I've been driving bangernomics car for years, usually some big engined luxury involved, and I'm in profit. Its cost me zilch, naadaa, nothing at all.

You're the one who doesnt get Bangernomics. Its not just about the initial cost or dirt cheap to run. Thats Bangernomics for Simpletons. Its about learning how to run them cheaply, knowing when to sell, when to modify to add value, knowing something is wrong and its time to move on and most importantly knowing a bargain, no matter what it is, when its in front of you.

If you can drive an S Class for a year for the price of a 98 Micra then who do you thinks the winner there. I know what I think, you can stick to cheap as chips junk if you want :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭I Was VB

Define "cheapest"

I've been driving bangernomics car for years, usually some big engined luxury involved, and I'm in profit. Its cost me zilch, naadaa, nothing at all.

You're the one who doesnt get Bangernomics. Its not just about the initial cost or dirt cheap to run. Thats Bangernomics for Simpletons. Its about learning how to run them cheaply, knowing when to sell, when to modify to add value, knowing something is wrong and its time to move on and most importantly knowing a bargain, no matter what it is, when its in front of you.

If you can drive an S Class for a year for the price of a 98 Micra then who do you thinks the winner there. I know what I think, you can stick to cheap as chips junk if you want :cool:

Not gonna start down this road again, if you honestly think that the cars on here are cost effective then more power to ya, but from what i've seen on here a alfa 156 with no nct is better value than a small Japanese hatchback with nct and some tax that gets sneered at.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

A C70 T5 with almost 5 months tax (€400 ish) and 10 months NCT, 120k miles and asking €1850 in Meath....

Those Volvo's are brilliant cars. I had a vert of those. Loved it. Would definatly buy one again.
    C70 T5, which is better? Automatic or Manual?
    DEpends on what your definition of better is, the auto would be that bit more fragile over time.

The self-adapting auto-box in those Volvos is actually very good and pretty unproblematic. It's really down to preference, but either are pretty much trouble free, properly maintained.

/M

I've been driving bangernomics car for years, usually some big engined luxury involved, and I'm in profit. Its cost me zilch, naadaa, nothing at all. ...........

All costs included (all maintenance/or lack of !!, NCT charges, tyres, consumables etc etc, not tax, insurance or fuel) I'm at -€6200 since Oct 2006.

........... from what i've seen on here a alfa 156 with no nct is better value than a small Japanese hatchback with nct and some tax that gets sneered at.

In fairness, only a minority of people post sh1t like you are describing.
    Marlow wrote: »

The self-adapting auto-box in those Volvos is actually very good and pretty unproblematic. It's really down to preference, but either are pretty much trouble free, properly maintained...........

Cheers for the info Marlow :)

All costs included (all maintenance/or lack of !!, NCT charges, tyres, consumables etc etc, not tax, insurance or fuel) I'm at -€6200 since Oct 2006.

Ah but has it. I have to admit that all I've done is based it upon the purchase price and selling price of the vehicles. But have you subtracted what the running of, say a 1999 Starlet 1.3, would have cost you from the running of your bigger engined cars. Its still the same for oil, for NCT, for insurance (roughly once you're over 25) Factor in some increased fuel consumption and I'd still say I'm in profit....just :D Doesnt matter though, for feck all more I'm driving an older but nicer car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The auto-box in the normal C70's are just autoadapting.

The ones in the T5 usually have a selector between normal, sport and winter. Fairly fancy and the winter program does, what it says on the tin-can. Very well behaved auto-box for winter driving.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement