Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightclubs in Limerick city

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Seamus B

I know i shouldnt be posting on this thread QUEENS nightclub in Ennis if you can travel..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

xsiborg wrote: »
    wasnt there a pub called the wild swan at one stage, up around urlan tv there somewhere?

only reason i remember it so well is because myself and a couple o lads went in there for drinks one time, of course i love anywhere there's a pool table, what didnt go down so well however was me putting damien rice's 'blowers daughter' on the jukebox! i could've slid out under the door i was stared out of it so hard! :D

the black swan is around the corner from the wicked chicken

the moose is down beside st johns cathederal and accross from a bar called the horse and hound

the spotted dog is in janesborough

• Registered Users Posts: 51,189 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

i thought the Black Swan was in Annacotty? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭adaminho

wasnt there a pub called the wild swan at one stage, up around urlan tv there somewhere?

only reason i remember it so well is because myself and a couple o lads went in there for drinks one time, of course i love anywhere there's a pool table, what didnt go down so well however was me putting damien rice's 'blowers daughter' on the jukebox! i could've slid out under the door i was stared out of it so hard! :D

The wild geese was the pub on old Clare street, closed a good while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭leakyboots

And rightly so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

bazz26 wrote: »
    i thought the Black Swan was in Annacotty? :confused:
    There's two of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Icky Thump wrote: »
    the black swan is around the corner from the wicked chicken

the moose is down beside st johns cathederal and accross from a bar called the horse and hound

the spotted dog is in janesborough

Jesus, its worse than i thought...

Bar owners in Limerick need some serious originality lessons..
    (and probably not just in their names)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭cson

The Lame Duck is another animal name one kinda in the Limerick region.

Well it is if you're in UL.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

Lets not forget The Stables to house all these animals...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

What's the problem with all the animal-related names? I like em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,431 ✭✭✭✭cson

Yeah I think they're great too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

CiaranMT wrote: »
    What's the problem with all the animal-related names? I like em.

No problem per se...but in a town like Limerick.
    1 is fine, original, different.
    2..someone copying the original half decent idea...
    3 and above is just laziness

All imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

vkid wrote: »
    No problem per se...but in a town like Limerick.
    1 is fine, original, different.
    2..someone copying the original half decent idea...
    3 and above is just laziness

All imo.

Hmm, what about:
    The Turkey's Neck
    The Dog's Bollo*ks
    The Savoury Swan
    The Chicken Sh*ts

• Registered Users Posts: 51,189 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't forget:

The Mucky Duck and The Bucket of Blood

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 lewas93

Hi, just wondering where is the best spot in Limerick city of a Wednesday night? :):)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

lewas93 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering where is the best spot in Limerick city of a Wednesday night? :):)

Nancy's have live music in the late bar until around midnight and then their usual playlists until after 2:00. The Icon is the other option, the night club across the road. If you're in the 18-21 bracket then Molly Malone's might suit you too. Not many options on a Wednesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Is The Red Hen (formerly The Bailey) open late on Weds? I know they have a late licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

For a crowd Nancys probably your best bet later on in the night

The all new Icon Nite club opening tonight, should be very nice..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Seamus B wrote: »
    The all new Icon Nite club opening tonight, should be very nice..

have they really changed much though.. :P

• Advertisement

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Wonder will they change it much not that they need it with no rivals

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

One things for sure it definitely needs it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Carpet bombing would be the only change I'd like to see to Smyths and the Icon and everything in there

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

The carpet would probably bomb you back.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

I never really understand the dislike people have for Smyths Icon. I mean they have live music every single night in Smyths and there's always a crowd and then its the only Nightclub in town where every night its going to be pretty busy. What exactly do people want improved that's realistic?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

power101 wrote: »
    I never really understand the dislike people have for Smyths Icon. I mean they have live music every single night in Smyths and there's always a crowd and then its the only Nightclub in town where every night its going to be pretty busy. What exactly do people want improved that's realistic?

Bouncers that aren't on a power trip, I know every place has them but the lads in Smyths are worse than anywhere else in town.

Live music /= good music.

Far too many people allowed in resulting in something akin to a cattle mart.

Over priced.

Terrible dj's resulting in terrible music.

The clientele has gotten gradually worse and worse over the years.

These are just some of the gripes i have with the place, all of which can be fixed very easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Bouncers that aren't on a power trip, I know every place has them but the lads in Smyths are worse than anywhere else in town.

Over priced.

These are just some of the gripes i have with the place, all of which can be fixed very easily.

Your points contradict each other.

Over-priced? Yet you are saying it gets too full. That would indicate it's not over priced. Supply and demand.

You want the bouncers to turn away more people, yet if you are turned away you will say it's bouncers on a power trip.

I hate smyths by the way, just don't like the place, but if it gets as full as you say then why would they see a reason to change.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Your points contradict each other.

Over-priced? Yet you are saying it gets too full. That would indicate it's not over priced. Supply and demand.

You want the bouncers to turn away more people, yet if you are turned away you will say it's bouncers on a power trip.

I hate smyths by the way, just don't like the place, but if it gets as full as you say then why would they see a reason to change.

€15 is vastly overpriced for a nightclub, whether people choose to pay it or not.

If a nightclub is at capacity and a bouncer has to turn someone away, that's him being responsible and doing his job, nothing to do with a power trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭power101

Over priced.

I've never had trouble with the bouncers there. The only people I see beig turned away are people that are either way too drunk, 1st/2nd years in college or people that look like they'll start fights.

It's busy which is what I thought everyone looks for in a nightclub/superpub.

Smyths has the same prices as everywhere else. I do think going over a fiver for pints in Icon is ridiculous though.

The music is chart music / what is popular at the moment.

I Suppose the question is what nightclub in Ireland could they be more like ?

Advertisement