Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nightclubs in Limerick city

Options
  • 06-01-2012 2:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi all, was just wondering could anyone give me a list of nightclubs in Limerick city and advise on which is the best one? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

They're all rubbish...

...but if you insist:

Angel Lane
    The Icon/Mór Dioscó

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭conor93a

They're all rubbish...

...but if you insist:

Angel Lane
    The Icon/Mór Dioscó

That's it? I thought there was more.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

conor93a wrote: »
    That's it? I thought there was more.

Late bars with room for dancing/awkwardly shuffling:

Molly's
    Costello's
    Aubars

Late bars with room for dancing/awkwardly shuffling:

Molly's
    Costello's
    Aubars

Ha! Blimey that's pretty poor. Cheers for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheEntertainer

Dont forget the Sinbin.
    Bentleys could be counted on the Bunga Bunga nights as a nightclub couldnt they?

• Advertisement

So where'd the best place be on a Saturday night then, if anywhere?
    The reason I ask is 'cos I'm big in to going out, and I could be living in Limerick next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

conor93a wrote: »
    So where'd the best place be on a Saturday night then, if anywhere?
    The reason I ask is 'cos I'm big in to going out, and I could be living in Limerick next year.

Well I could tell you one place is the best, and have 5 people disagree with me:D:D
    Depends on what you're in to... I'd sooner jump into the Shannon than go to Angel Lane, but they can find 5 or 6 hundred people every saturday night who feel different!

Heres the list sofar with some additions i could think of:

Clubs:
    Icon (7 nights)
    Angel Lane (tues, thurs-sat)
    Sinbin (tues, thurs-sat)???
    Costello's (mon, thurs-sat)
    Aubars (fri sat)
    Bentleys (club nights fridays)
    Bakers (not sure when its open..)
    The Lodge :p

Late Bars:
    Bentleys (late every other night)
    Mollys (7 nights)
    Nancys (wed-sun)
    Flannerys (thurs-sat)
    The Office (thurs-sat)???
    The Blind Pig (not even sure if its open late)
    *i'm not 100% sure what nights places are open feel free to correct me, and of course add to the list!!

EDIT: To answer you're question, the 'best' club is Icon as its open 7 nights and more people go there than anywhere else. I hate the place!
    In terms of age groups, the Sinbin is for over 18s so caters to the teenyboppers. Angel Lane seem to change their age policy every week, but is generally over 20s. Icon also over 20s but has a slightly older clientele (average age +-25), and Aubars is over 23s though the average age is well into the 30s. They all play roughly the same chart dance music. The other clubs mentioned are more alternative and you could find any age group in there on any given night.

Well I could tell you one place is the best, and have 5 people disagree with me:D:D
    Depends on what you're in to... I'd sooner jump into the Shannon than go to Angel Lane, but they can find 5 or 6 hundred people every saturday night who feel different!

Heres the list sofar with some additions i could think of:

Clubs:
    Icon (7 nights)
    Angel Lane (tues, thurs-sat)
    Sinbin (tues, thurs-sat)???
    Costello's (mon, thurs-sat)
    Aubars (fri sat)
    Bentleys (club nights fridays)
    Bakers (not sure when its open..)
    The Lodge :p

Late Bars:
    Bentleys (late every other night)
    Mollys (7 nights)
    Nancys (wed-sun)
    Flannerys (thurs-sat)
    The Office (thurs-sat)???

*i'm not 100% sure what nights places are open feel free to correct me, and of course add to the list!!
    Thanks! I thought the Lodge closed down?

I did, but I was told it has re-opened this college year. Maybe someone else knows for sure??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Is Aubers the place that used to be the New Town Perry ?
    if it it is I think when it first opened it seemed to have a kind of Posh Dress
    code associated with the place with a female bouncer and red rope barrier.
    Wondering if the place is still the same now or has it got more casual.

Although Dolans is not a Nite/Night Club it might be worth a mention if the
    OP likes to go out a lot. Plenty of gigs & events if going out.

~B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

The Blind Pig is a late bar for the weekends, with gigs or events on every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

roast wrote: »
    The Blind Pig is a late bar shoebox for the weekends alt teens with parent issues / Kevin Smith look 'a' likes , with gigs or events on every night.

FYP :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Originally Posted by roast viewpost.gif
    The Blind Pig is a late bar shoebox for the weekends alt teens with parent issues / Kevin Smith look 'a' likes , with gigs or events on every night.

hightower1 wrote: »
    FYP :)

i have to say i strongly disagree with your assessment. i was in there recently for the boards beers night out and i saw none of what you claim, just regular people in a regular bar, that was plenty big too to be able to move around without jostling through crowds.

just to point out too that im actually 35 and went in wearing a shirt and tie, hardly the Kevin Smith lookalike you allude to in your post.

i cant decide between the three clubs in town, sin bin is a bit small, angel lane and icon do be jam packed to the rafters, i dont go for the music though or really to meet people, i go to chill out for a bit and get lost in the atmosphere.

generally i head to smyths and then straight into icon as it's the handiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Icon (it's big, plays cheesy pop music, but you should know that going in - saying that, €12 is steep), Costelloe's and Bunga Bunga would be my own preferences.

Bunga Bunga got a great write-up in the Limerick Post recently:

http://www.limerickpost.ie/index.php/navigation-mainmenu-30/entertainment/4012-bunga-celebrates.html

Cheers guys. I guess Limerick seems like a pretty decent place to go out then. Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

xsiborg wrote: »
    i have to say i strongly disagree with your assessment. i was in there recently for the boards beers night out and i saw none of what you claim, just regular people in a regular bar, that was plenty big too to be able to move around without jostling through crowds.

just to point out too that im actually 35 and went in wearing a shirt and tie, hardly the Kevin Smith lookalike you allude to in your post.

i cant decide between the three clubs in town, sin bin is a bit small, angel lane and icon do be jam packed to the rafters, i dont go for the music though or really to meet people, i go to chill out for a bit and get lost in the atmosphere.

Still waiting to check out the blind pig myself. I dont really go out anymore
    since no place plays the music I like, I hate clubs and prefer a quiter more relaxing place where you can chat to a few friends and have a few pints.
    Not into metal music at all so hopeing the blind pig has Rockish type or alternative stuff also.

From looking at the photo's
    on facebook it appears to be the biker & metaler crowd that frequented,
    The Highstool and Quinns. Seen some familar faces I've not seen in over 10
    years (wearing what looks like the exact same clothes :eek: )
    The only thing thats changed appears to be some of them have less hair!

Have not got a clue who Kevin Smith is, is he some sort of famous Emo like character
    or the new marylin manson?
    [EDIT: google tells me he's the bloke from the Jay and Silent Bob movies????]
    ~B

bullets wrote: »
    since no place plays the music I like, I hate clubs and prefer a quiter more relaxing place where you can chat to a few friends and have a few pints.
    Not into metal music at all so hopeing the blind pig has Rockish type or alternative stuff also.

Have not got a clue who Kevin Smith is, is he some sort of famous Emo like character
    [EDIT: google tells me he's the bloke from the Jay and Silent Bob movies????]
    ~B

Aye, it's not all metal anyway. Good few of the bikers and the heads from the high stool were there on the opening night. Awesome laugh.
    Definitely check it out.... even if it's just to sample the Erdinger.... yumyumyum.

EDIT:I have no idea who Kevin Smith is either. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

The important stuff :

It's easy to pull in any of them ;)

Seriously though, I go out most weeks and head to Icon (if I end up in a club).

Icon is generally the best, notorious for the bouncers being odd with people sometimes, no matter how frequently you go there.

Aubars has an older crowd but I've actually had a laugh a few times I've went there and I'm only 24!

Stay away from Mollys! Worst place in Limerick (very annoying young crowd) and Angel Lane was good for about 6 months before Trinity Rooms closed down and is now full of annoying kids again.

bullets wrote: »
    xsiborg wrote: »

[SIZE="1"][EDIT: google tells me he's the bloke from the Jay and Silent Bob movies????][/SIZE]
    ~B

i thought hightower (police academy anyone? :p) was referring to harry enfield's character Kevin, the stroppy teenage character from that sketch show he used do years ago (on the mobile now so embedding a youtube reference vid would be a pain!), but the music was definitely non-mainstream pop or dance, i wouldnt call it mainstream alternative either, there was a band there the night we were there and i remember the lead guitarist strumming a few trippy riffs alright, certainly different from the usual 'free beer' covers in smyths! :D

i've never had any trouble getting into any club in limerick myself, then again i've never had any trouble getting into any club anywhere, and always found the doormen (and doorwomen) good natured and professional.

The thing about Limerick is that the vast majority of people only go to a few pubs or clubs, and have no interest in going anywhere else. On the surface Limericks nightlife looks very poor with two or three superpubs/clubs, but as we see here there is more than meets the eye!

Re: Bunga Bunga I've been there once or twice, really like the setup + music there but the rave atmosphere was a bit OTT for my liking (the crowd not the music if you know what i mean;))

• Advertisement

yupyup7up wrote: »
    The important stuff :

It's easy to pull in any of them ;)

Seriously though, I go out most weeks and head to Icon (if I end up in a club).

Icon is generally the best, notorious for the bouncers being odd with people sometimes, no matter how frequently you go there.

Aubars has an older crowd but I've actually had a laugh a few times I've went there and I'm only 24!

Stay away from Mollys! Worst place in Limerick (very annoying young crowd) and Angel Lane was good for about 6 months before Trinity Rooms closed down and is now full of annoying kids again.

cant multi-quote on mobile but i wouldn't say angel lane is full of kids (wrong impression for the OP surely? :D), the age range would be 18-22 perhaps, college go-ers maybe the same age as the OP (i presume they're college age from their post in the UL forum), sin bin i cant say i really noticed, but the same could be said for icon, the age range is 18- well, i know one woman who defied her 44 years of age (she looks 34!) and could hold her own on the dance floor with the best of them! :D

as for being 'on the pull', *shudders*, sorry, just my own pet peeve hatred of the expression, but you could literally say that about anywhere, club or pub, county or country, and it goes both ways too as long as you dont reek of desperation! :D

above all OP limerick is a great city to live in and go out in with plenty of variety nightlife to suit every taste, oh and lest i forget- dolans! was in there for limerick pride night a while back, that kylie impersonator was more enchanting than kylie herself! :D

It's funny, the first replies I got were quite critical, but the general view of nightlife in Limerick and Limerick itself are positive. Cheers for the advice, at least I know there are plenty of friendly people in Limerick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Most Limerick people hate Limerick and are very negative, god knows why they still live here :rolleyes: maybe they like being negative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Most Limerick people hate Limerick and are very negative, god knows why they still live here :rolleyes: maybe they like being negative

...and most of the problems in this city stem from a head in the sand attitude. :rolleyes:

Comment on the topic at hand, or say nothing at all. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Where's this Blind Pig establishment?

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Where's this Blind Pig establishment?

Foxes Bow. Metal door, under the archway onto Thomas Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

the wicked chicken
    the blind pig
    the mucky duck
    used to be the Pink Elephant

any other animal related ones?

woeful names for bars

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

roast wrote: »
    Foxes Bow. Metal door, under the archway onto Thomas Street.

Ah yeah. Was there for a Hip-Hop night last year that never really took off.

• Advertisement

vkid wrote: »
    the wicked chicken
    the blind pig
    the mucky duck
    used to be the Pink Elephant

any other animal related ones?

woeful names for bars

wasnt there a pub called the wild swan at one stage, up around urlan tv there somewhere?

only reason i remember it so well is because myself and a couple o lads went in there for drinks one time, of course i love anywhere there's a pool table, what didnt go down so well however was me putting damien rice's 'blowers daughter' on the jukebox! i could've slid out under the door i was stared out of it so hard! :D

Advertisement