Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naturism - For and against!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

If the notion occurred to me, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,162 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Dudess wrote: »

And would you be bothered if someone else did (assuming you were still dressed)?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

And would you be bothered if someone else did (assuming you were still dressed)?
    I'd find it a bit awkward trying to figure out where to look if they struck up a conversation with me, but otherwise... in a designated be nekkid area, grand, but one naked randomer in an otherwise non naked environment - could be embarrassing.

I'd find it a bit awkward trying to figure out where to look if they struck up a conversation with me, but otherwise... in a designated be nekkid area, grand, but one naked randomer in an otherwise non naked environment - could be embarrassing.

Therein is the point: you generally don't have a problem with nudity be it yours or someone else's. I think clothing optional beaches would be the way forward, which puts no pressure on anyone to conform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I am all for naturism and practice it as often as possible, here in Ireland and abroad. There is nothing more natural and sensual than to be without clothing and enjoying the great outdoors. In the future, I plan to visit a naturist resort either in France or Spain where I can experience the naturist lifestyle, which will allow me to be naked 24/7.
    Not that I care one way or another, but it is actually far more "natural" to wear some sort of clothing in social situations. See: pretty much every society in the history of humankind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Ireland is the only country in Europe that doesn't have a legally designated naturist beach. Therefore, naturism in public is not legal but in typical Irish style it is toilerated. The law needs to change in this respect.

The excuse of the weather is always trotted out and it doesn't hold when you consider that Canada, Russia, Finland, Sweden and Denmark all have naturist beaches and are located further north than Ireland.

Live and let live.

there is a nudey beach in arklow

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

What's her name?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ollaetta

And loads of other places: http://www.irishnaturism.org/imagemap.php

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Not that I care one way or another, but it is actually far more "natural" to wear some sort of clothing in social situations. See: pretty much every society in the history of humankind.

I would open a can of worms here and say "traditional" rather than natural...!

Seriosuly, though, yes, but there are certain situations where nudity would be more practical as well as more natural and swimming is one of them. At least on a beach, anyway.

I would open a can of worms here and say "traditional" rather than natural...!
    I'd stick with natural. I'm not talking about western civilisation enforcing their prudish values on every culture throughout the world , I mean in every civilisation the world has known, most of them isolated from each other, it has been the norm to wear some sort of clothing. Even tribes living in hotter regions who seem almost naked from a westerner's point of view still tend to have some sort of adornment, whether it be a loincloth or even body paint. As far as I'm aware, there is not, and has never been, any society in which the denizens do not wear clothes and hence it would seem it is the natural way of things (our hairless anatomy would certainly suggest we've evolved to wear them).

The poster talking about living in a nudist resort and being naked 24/7 - that is certainly not "natural," it is actually very eccentric.

I'd hasten to add that I'm not someone who necessarily believes natural = good and unnatural = bad. In fact, I generally try to avoid using the term as it's probably the most misused word in the English language and has lost pretty much all meaning ("naturism" being a good example of said abuse).

Seriosuly, though, yes, but there are certain situations where nudity would be more practical as well as more natural and swimming is one of them. At least on a beach, anyway.
    Maybe so, though even in countries that have nudist or clothing-optional beaches, the majority of people still opt to wear swimwear.

• Advertisement

Pace2008 wrote: »
    I'd stick with natural. I'm not talking about western civilisation enforcing their prudish values on every culture throughout the world , I mean in every civilisation the world has known, most of them isolated from each other, it has been the norm to wear some sort of clothing. Even tribes living in hotter regions who seem almost naked from a westerner's point of view still tend to have some sort of adornment, whether it be a loincloth or even body paint. As far as I'm aware, there is not, and has never been, any society in which the denizens do not wear clothes and hence it would seem it is the natural way of things (our hairless anatomy would certainly suggest we've evolved to wear them).

The poster talking about living in a nudist resort and being naked 24/7 - that is certainly not "natural," it is actually very eccentric.

I'd hasten to add that I'm not someone who necessarily believes natural = good and unnatural = bad. In fact, I generally try to avoid using the term as it's probably the most misused word in the English language and has lost pretty much all meaning ("naturism" being a good example of said abuse).

Maybe so, though even in countries that have nudist or clothing-optional beaches, the majority of people still opt to wear swimwear.

Not disagreeing with what you say, but from who's perspective are we using the word "natural"? If you went to said 24/7 village and wore clothes, would it still be natural?

Regardign that last point, Denmark. There are very few beaches where there is legal requirement of a swimsuit (or lack thereof for that matter) but in some places, you would actually have the majority going naked. Especially in the islands.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Black Leather

Clothing! How needs it? Being naked is the most natural thing in the world regardless of one's age or physical shape. Living the naturist lifestyle is a most liberating experience and everyone should give it a try. What are people afraid of?

Not disagreeing with what you say, but from who's perspective are we using the word "natural"? If you went to said 24/7 village and wore clothes, would it still be natural?
    Well, I was saying I generally find the word "natural" to be pretty meaningless. What I mean is that when left to their own devices, people in any given society will invariably end up wearing clothes when going about their day-to-day activities. The nudist village/colony/whatever in question isn't a commune that came about "naturally," if you will, it's a collection of people with a very atypical persuasion coming together to create an artificial settlement with like-minded folk.

And more power to them; just don't expect the other 99.99% of the world to take them seriously when they claim they're the ones living as nature intended.
    Regardign that last point, Denmark. There are very few beaches where there is legal requirement of a swimsuit (or lack thereof for that matter) but in some places, you would actually have the majority going naked. Especially in the islands.
    Fair enough, there are always going to be unusual cases in a big world. I just can't imagine there's any country where the nude bathers outweigh the clothed ones overall.

Clothing! How needs it? Being naked is the most natural thing in the world regardless of one's age or physical shape. Living the naturist lifestyle is a most liberating experience and everyone should give it a try. What are people afraid of?
    Eh, the majority of Europe would be completely uninhabitable without clothing. Even in our relatively temperate climate you would die of hypothermia on a cold winter's day and burn to crisp on a hot afternoon in July. You could mitigate the latter with suncream, but since that's every bit as unnatural, if not more, as clothing I presume that's off the cards.

So to answer you're question, "Clothing! How[sic] needs it?" Pretty much everybody apart from dark-skinned folk living in an equatorial climate (and they wear it anyway).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Personally I'll go with bad weather and ugly people.

Scaaaarrry.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Kadent

hit eurotrash while flipping through channels last night and there was some dude who ran a naturist group therapy thing and they were all walking around with their gear dangling loose, was like seeing people walking around with turds hanging from their bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

For-It lets the ladies see my nob which makes up for my lack of height

Against-Old mens hairy hanging balls

Advertisement