Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

More

Last ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭supernova84

Are there many changes to the tax core from last year? Is it just the rates have changed for Income tax? They seemed to have amended a lot of the case solutions from last year and its very confusing. Also I take it we use 21% for VAT?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭R0N BURGUNDY

Do you reckon it would be possible to pass the exam without studying?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Username2011

Do you reckon it would be possible to pass the exam without studying?

To pass the faes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 siobhan4460

everyone get email today about aafrp results tomoro? Out at 9.30 am on the student centre results page

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Apollo_Creed

where is this document i cant see it? also is anyone else not on study leave yet?

Its on the student portal centre...Here it is anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 siobhan4460

thank you!!!its probably on the website looking at me somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Ronnoco23

Thanks a mill Kitten_k!!

everyone get email today about aafrp results tomoro? Out at 9.30 am on the student centre results page

Yeah. 9.30s a bit annpyin considering lectures start then for block release. Does anyone know if theyre released earlier? O know the cap 2s n faes are released at like half seven in the mornin but not sure about assessments

• Advertisement

Best of luck with the results tomorrow!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭lala1987

hi there- just wondering can anyone help me out with APM?

I have lecture notes printed and past new fae and mocks.

what old exam papers can i print anything else? how people approaching it?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Moorstown

So how does everyone feel about the AAFRP results?

I'm totally confused about my result.

I received NC and my feedback was as follows;

1. Try to improve your basic knowledge of accounting standards and journal entries
    2. Sound knowledge of disclosures. Try to tailor your answer to the question
    3. Excellent knowledge and application of standards

Point 1 and point 3 to me seem to contradict each other?

I would of thought I would of at least received a higher competency that what I scored.

Any thoughts?

Much Appreciated

Moorstown wrote: »

1. Try to improve your basic knowledge of accounting standards and journal entries

I would of thought I would of at least received a higher competency that what I scored.

Any thoughts?

Much Appreciated

NC does sound a bit harsh when you read 2 and 3. But these are standard comments - I would imagine they have a pool of 5/6 comments and they pick them then. Perhaps, you have to meet a certain standard in each section in order to get min. RC and section 1 dragged you down. Is it possible to view your script / get a recheck?

Also - on the point you had on point 1 and 3 contradicting themselves, different standards would have been assessed in each section. So it sounds like you did really well with the three standards in section 3 but not so great for the standards in section 1

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Moorstown

NC does sound a bit harsh when you read 2 and 3. But these are standard comments - I would imagine they have a pool of 5/6 comments and they pick them then. Perhaps, you have to meet a certain standard in each section in order to get min. RC and section 1 dragged you down. Is it possible to view your script / get a recheck?

Also - on the point you had on point 1 and 3 contradicting themselves, different standards would have been assessed in each section. So it sounds like you did really well with the three standards in section 3 but not so great for the standards in section 1

Thanks for your feedback. It's make sense. I don't know whether you can view your script/ get a recheck. I emailed CAI so I guess I'll have to wait and see. It's really frustrating to be honest. Surely with that feedback it was worth a higher score.

Thanks for your feedback. It's make sense. I don't know whether you can view your script/ get a recheck. I emailed CAI so I guess I'll have to wait and see. It's really frustrating to be honest. Surely with that feedback it was worth a higher score.

I'd give them a call if its on your mind. If you go to the contact page you'll find their numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 2 The favourite

Any thoughts?

Much Appreciated

Moorstown,I got the exact same as you-NC and exact same feedback.I knew coming out of it that I didn't do well in Section 1 and rushed through section 2 so I'm not overly suprised with the result but was hoping for RC at least but will just deal with NC,still have a bit of time to make up for it.Good Luck if you do decide to get it re-checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Accrual Intentions

Any thoughts?

Much Appreciated

Thats weird because I got HC and point 2 and 3 are word for word exactly what mine said.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 galr

kitten_k wrote: »
    You can still pass even if you get NC. I got NC last year and I still passed the Core.

If anybody gets NC on Friday don't let it get you down, it is just ONE indicator, you can make up for it in the exam. You cannot fail the Core based on the assesstment alone.

Kitten K was just wondering how did you study for PM last year? I am really struggling to decide on the derry cotter book or the notes. Heard the derry cotter book is great but will then factor into my study of the cases??

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭badbeatcentral

Yes the responses are highly generic. I got the exact same comments as Moorstown yet have a result of C. Kind of nullifies the value of giving any comment when they're this standardised. Can only lead to confusion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭lala1987

Thats weird because I got HC and point 2 and 3 are word for word exactly what mine said.

very unusal I got same comments and I got RC - WTF are they that lazy? Three other ppl I know got same result and comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

There is a separate thread for the AAFRP results http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056547011

Best advice - put AAFRP behind you now and focus on the week in September. As is well documented, people have got C in the AAFRP and failed FAE and others have got NC and passed FAE.

Back to business, does anyone have a tried and tested method for study yet? I've been off now for a couple of weeks and have really struggled to get going at all. I think I'm going to take a subject per day approach for the next two weeks and then spend the rest of study leave on cases/exam papers. I'm finding just the logistics of getting material together and bringing it to a library etc very difficult and am still nowhere near completing my notes. This is the part of study I hate the most. When you think you've everything organised the Institute goes and puts more notes up on the site or changes previous notes. Very annoying!

mrduffy wrote: »
    13/21 is that over two days or just comprehensive paper ?

yeah that's over the 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭mrduffy

galr
    8 in the comprehensive 3 cases of 4 and one maybe 5 or 9 in comprehensive

galr do you know audit elective format ?

BESman wrote: »

Back to business, does anyone have a tried and tested method for study yet? I've been off now for a couple of weeks and have really struggled to get going at all. I think I'm going to take a subject per day approach for the next two weeks and then spend the rest of study leave on cases/exam papers

I'm finding the same! I'd nearly say bring back the CAP2s - at least with them you had a comp statement and you could just tick it off as you went.

mrduffy wrote: »
    galr
    8 in the comprehensive 3 cases of 4 and one maybe 5 or 9 in comprehensive

galr do you know audit elective format ?

well as the competency statement has 6 topics with no more than 30% feauture on any one.
    main diffs between audit core and audit elective (i'm a repeat student so this is what we were told in our lectures):

Audit Core: focus on tests and internal controls - board accepts that 1/3 of students sitting this exam have never and will never work in auditing so it can't be pitched at too high of a level.

Audit Elective:
    a) reporting to 3rd parties (only examinable at elective). That's them ISRE's tip Seam Murray said one of these is DEF coming up in mocks one of the assurance ones as oppposed to the non assurance ones 4000 & 4200 (I think).
    b) group audit (again only for elective) lecturer seemed pretty confident that will appear this just year
    c) engagement management (mostly just for elective) lecturer said at core this isn't a big focus but elective need to know it ISCQ 1.
    d) laws and reg's lecturer seemed hell bent on advising us to know our stuff for reporting to the guards/DOCE etc.. directors loan 10% threshold. but I am really unsure on this stuff anyone with good notes for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

I'm finding the same! I'd nearly say bring back the CAP2s - at least with them you had a comp statement and you could just tick it off as you went.

Yes I had great plans of using the competency statement for study but it's a lot more vague than for CAP 2. It kind of sounds to me like the Institute are saying "remember everything from CAP 1 and CAP 2 but integrate it". Cheers...

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭R0N BURGUNDY

Don't think I used the competency statement once for CAP1 or CAP2. Got enough crap to be going over to be fair. I think at this stage you're generally expected to know everything. Use notes etc. if you want to be flash and go into heavy detail = that's what I'm thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭louise1985

Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone can help me locate an excel spreadsheet which had a list of case studies and the topics that related to that case study, I printed it off one of the FAE discussions on boards as far as I know but cant seem to relocate it :confused: Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭chursy

louise1985 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone can help me locate an excel spreadsheet which had a list of case studies and the topics that related to that case study, I printed it off one of the FAE discussions on boards as far as I know but cant seem to relocate it :confused: Thanks

go the main post under the accountancy forum - There is an attachment icone next to this post - click on it and you will see all attachments uploaded on this thread. Should find the spreadsheet

Advertisement