Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Into Darkness [** SPOILERS FROM POST 452 **]

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

don ramo wrote: »

what big issues are around today that it could have covered, ones that haven't been covered by hundreds of other films, as a society we've addressed many of those issues and moved on, maybe there are still places that need some of your issues addressed but that place isn't anywhere in the western world, where this films majority audience is based,

what was the last great film that you watched that questioned a massive sociological issue thats holding us back as a species,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

So what do you think of the first trailer for this?

It has me really excited for the film. I thought the 2009 film was one of the best Star Trek movies. Funny to think that it will be four years since that film when the new one arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

:mad:
    So what do you think of the first trailer for this?

It has me really excited for the film. I thought the 2009 film was one of the best Star Trek movies. Funny to think that it will be four years since that film when the new one arrives.

It looks epic but the trailer was cut quite oddly. Apparently there will be a fuller version in the coming days - this is like a teaser for a teaser trailer :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

For the lazy...

EDIT: KHAAAAA... I mean FUTUREGUUUUUUUYYYYYY!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Did you watch the Japanese trailer, if its not
    Khan
    , they are trolling us..

bullvine wrote: »
    Did you watch the Japanese trailer, if its not
    Khan
    , they are trolling us..

I said to my brother after watching the first trailer that I'm almost certain now that it is in fact
    Khan
    . This extra footage makes it more likely...

EDIT: I deleted the actual footage because the still they show is very spoilerish. Just google the Japanese trailer.

Do we need to use spoilers? I mean, nothing has been confirmed... apologies if the mods think there should.

So, judging by the trailer, it looks like it is Khan. As excited as I am to see Cumberbatch's Khan, it's going to be interesting to see how they pull it off. I mean, TWOK was essentially just a continuation from an episode in Season 1 (according to Wikipedia. While I would consider myself a Star Trek fan, I've never seen TOS properly). Star Trek 2013 won't have that, because they've pretty much overwritten everything. So they will have to spend some time explaining possibly-Khan getting his revenge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Do we need to use spoilers? I mean, nothing has been confirmed... apologies if the mods think there should.

So, judging by the trailer, it looks like it is Khan. As excited as I am to see Cumberbatch's Khan, it's going to be interesting to see how they pull it off. I mean, TWOK was essentially just a continuation from an episode in Season 1 (according to Wikipedia. While I would consider myself a Star Trek fan, I've never seen TOS properly). Star Trek 2013 won't have that, because they've pretty much overwritten everything. So they will have to spend some time explaining possibly-Khan getting his revenge

I only used spoilers not to upset people, I dont care. In regards to using Khan, with the alternate timeline, who knows what they can do with it. I noticed one of Cumberbatchs Outfit was similar to the outfit worn by Khan, except darker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Inception horns, you strike again! *shakes fist*

• Advertisement

Absolutely nothing has been confirmed regarding the identity of the villain so it's all speculation at this point.

The funny thing about saying that it's Khan is that the synopsis states that the villain is "an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization..."

That cannot in any way be Khan unless, for some reason, he escapes the Botany Bay in another way years earlier than the original series, assumed a different identity and joined Starfleet before rising up the ranks. In my opinion, this is taking too much liberty.

There are three main contenders for this villain as of yesterday. Khan, Garth of Izar and Gary Mitchell. We have seen and read evidence that would support the belief that any one of these could be the villain, and yet we have reasons to believe that NONE of these villains truely fit what we have seen. Garth of Izar (a reknowned Fleet Captain) doesn't fit the superhuman abilities we see in this trailer but fits the bill as someone from the inside of Starfleet wreaking havoc. Gary Mitchell (given god like powers) also does not fit the bill either as his story has been dealt with in the Canon comic books that bridge the gap between the films. And again, Khan is not Starfleet!

The reason I think it's Khan is that the end of the Japanese trailer is very reminiscent of TWOK, which I only just watched recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The reason I think it's Khan is that the end of the Japanese trailer is very reminiscent of TWOK, which I only just watched recently.

Exactly the
    hands on the glass
    thing is pretty significant if you think about TWOK

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Inception horns, you strike again! *shakes fist*

it has also has the standard blue/orange colour palette ever movie seems to have these days, are Hollywood just opposed to different colours these days?

VinLieger wrote: »
    Exactly the
    hands on the glass
    thing is pretty significant if you think about TWOK

I'll call it now. This is just clever editing. This scene is there in the trailer to screw with our heads.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I'll call it now. This is just clever editing. This scene is there in the trailer to screw with our heads.

If that's the case, then that's pretty exceptional and a decent nod to the hardcore fans, who would remember something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Goldstein wrote: »
    For the record i'm not one of those. I dislike the film, entertaining as it was, almost purely because it was poorly written with little to no evidence of any though process behind all elements of its script & plot. A fact glossed over by its fans.

Can't get behind the film either. I appreciate the tone, having a fresh start and the cast is pretty great (with the exception of Pegg) but overall the script just kills it for me.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

The thing that trailer reminded me of the most is this trailer...

Can't get behind the film either. I appreciate the tone, having a fresh start and the cast is pretty great (with the exception of Pegg) but overall the script just kills it for me.

Thing is that Star Trek was never really known for it's good dialogue. There's just so many cheesy moments. Even from TWOK, where Khan says something like:

"Revenge is a dish best served cold. Well, Space is very cold".

Agree..

First...

Spock isn't "family" - unless you're talking the crew of a ship as family

Second...

Having a scene in one film that's an homage to a scene in another doesn't mean the two films share a plot, characters, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

MilanPan!c wrote: »

The crew is deffinitely Kirks family no question there tbh

VinLieger wrote: »
    The crew is deffinitely Kirks family no question there tbh

we'll see... :)

Can't wait!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There is a chance of course that it's a brand new villain that borrows traits from all three of the ones we've come to suspect.

Also that's a fair point FutureGuy and MilanPan!c make in that a homage to a scene doesn't necessarily mean the plot/characters will be there and it's just to scre with our heads.

Either way the trailer looked decent enough to me even if they did have to throw the old DUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRR............DUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRR......... into it :D
    we'll see... :)

Can't wait!

Ah here, we saw that in the last film and the other films featuring the original crew before it. Though unless you're just saying that might not be spock's hand then I get what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

All it's getting from me at the moment is a big fat hmmmmm. May as well have been a trailer for Battleship. It neither excited me nor dismayed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Agree..

First...

Second...

Having a scene in one film that's an homage to a scene in another doesn't mean the two films share a plot, characters, etc.
    'Family' could also be a double-meaning? Maybe Cumberbatch's character is also referring to his own (dead?) family, for which he sees the federation as responsible for and is his motivation for revenge, carnage, etc, or maybe he's trying to save them. Loosely similar to Malcolm McDowell in Generations.

Vokes wrote: »
    'Family' could also be a double-meaning? Maybe Cumberbatch's character is also referring to his own (dead?) family, for which he sees the federation as responsible for and is his motivation for revenge, carnage, etc, or maybe he's trying to save them. Loosely similar to Malcolm McDowell in Generations.

Kirks mother was in StarFleet or at the very least living on a Federation ship. I presume it's the former. She could be killed.

I also have a feeling this could relate to Admiral Pike. There were the formations of a father/son relationship in the first movie.

Kirks mother was in StarFleet or at the very least living on a Federation ship. I presume it's the former. She could be killed.

I also have a feeling this could relate to Admiral Pike. There were the formations of a father/son relationship in the first movie.

This is kinda what I was thinking...

It'll become more (probably too) clear in the coming trailers I'm sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I agree with others in that I think we're being trolled, tricked by some clever marketing. There's no good reason to think Cumberbatch's speech relates to Kirk at all, and I bet it's being taken completely out of context, to match the otherwise sombre tone of the visuals. Get everyone talking about deaths & tie-ins with the Wrath of Khan.

If someone is to die, I'm confident lightning won't strike twice & Spock isn't for the chop. By everyone's own admission, Star Trek 2009 broadened its audience & made itself accessible to all. With that in mind, do you really think a franchise playing it that safe, and that wide-ranging, is going to kill off one of the crew for the sake of fan-service?

Putting my cards on the table right now; Bruce Greenwood is the one to watch his back because I guarantee Pike will be killed off in the first half. The reboot was many things, but it sure as hell wasn't subtle about shovelling concepts of destiny, fate and role-models into Kirks new storyline. If that somewhat simplistic storytelling continues, the next natural step would be to kill off Kirks one remaining rolemodel & father figure - Pike. Making the character suffer & grow through loss: Spock got it last time around, it's Kirks turn next I bet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The 9 minute preview will be playing in front of Cineworld's IMAX showings of The Hobbit.

http://www.imax.com/community/blog/the-extended-preview-of-j-j-abrams-star-trek-into-darkness-will-debut-in-imax-3d-on-december-14th/

Advertisement