Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Into Darkness [** SPOILERS FROM POST 452 **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It might not be Gary Mitchell though. Garth or one of the other renegade Starfleet officers is looking more likely.

Regardless of who the villain is, this is a reboot/alternate timeline, so the writers have a lot more room for manoeuvre in how they interpret the character. They could do Gary Mitchell without the god-like powers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Syllabus wrote: »
    i should have gone on to say earlier that Enterprise was my fav series followed by Voyager and then TNG

That says it all :rolleyes:

Everytime there's a poll anywhere TNG and DS9 always top them.

Personally I prefer DS9, what an awesome show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

bullvine wrote: »
    I agree, I'd rather someone new as well but I'd also like to see someone have another go at Khan.

Dear god why? They knocked it out of the park originally so why would you want to revisit it. Khan would be the laziest, most uninspired, creatively bankrupt thing they could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Dear god why? They knocked it out of the park originally so why would you want to revisit it. Khan would be the laziest, most uninspired, creatively bankrupt thing they could do.

Ahh yeah but if they got it right.... I was shocked with the choice of Urban for Bones but he nailed that role, who is to say they couldn't do the same with Khan(I know hes more Iconic that Bones) but still.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

that poster looks awfully like the Battle Los Angeles one

220px-Battle_Los_Angeles_Poster.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Official release date for Ireland is 17th of May, as with the US release. Funnily enough, Poland gets it on the 16th and I will probably be there around then :D

1 minute trailer is being release tomorrow. I'm a huge fan of the 2009 movie. I have this 5-minute challenge with friends who wouldn't normally touch Star Trek with a 40-ft pole. I give them the Blu-Ray and say...

"what the first 5 minutes until the Star Trek Title screen appears, and if you don't like it, turn it off"

11 out of 11 watched the entire film :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Official release date for Ireland is 17th of May, as with the US release. Funnily enough, Poland gets it on the 16th and I will probably be there around then :D

1 minute trailer is being release tomorrow. I'm a huge fan of the 2009 movie. I have this 5-minute challenge with friends who wouldn't normally touch Star Trek with a 40-ft pole. I give them the Blu-Ray and say...

"what the first 5 minutes until the Star Trek Title screen appears, and if you don't like it, turn it off"

11 out of 11 watched the entire film :D

TBH i think the first 5mins of the 2009 Star Trek film were the best, deteriorates after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Plus, that entire film was made specifically for people who "wouldn't normally touch Star Trek with a 40 ft pole".

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Plus, that entire film was made specifically for people who "wouldn't normally touch Star Trek with a 40 ft pole".

I watched Star Trek before and I loved the film. Horses for courses etc. ;)

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_11/

Pretty outstanding scores for any movie, let alone a trek movie. Most Trek fans I know also loved it but I think Trek fans by nature can be very vocal when they dislike something and so the person who dislikes it will speak more about it than 5 who did like it.

Without this reboot, there would be NO Star Trek in the cinema or any future for TV. Now we have some of the brightest stars in Hollywood signed up to the franchise and there is a very distinct possibility that a TV spinoff will occur at the end of current Trilogy.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Pretty outstanding scores for any movie, let alone a trek movie. Most Trek fans I know also loved it but I think Trek fans by nature can be very vocal when they dislike something and so the person who dislikes it will speak more about it than 5 who did like it.

Without this reboot, there would be NO Star Trek in the cinema or any future for TV. Now we have some of the brightest stars in Hollywood signed up to the franchise and there is a very distinct possibility that a TV spinoff will occur at the end of current Trilogy.

I'm constantly trying to get my Trek disliking friends(of which there are many) sit down and watch the Abrams one. The few who have loved it and I don't see that as a bad thing. I've always liked Star Trek, grew up watching Next Generation, DS9 and to a lesser extent Voyager plus the older movies but I still thought the Abrams one was brilliant and tbh its a smarter film than a lot of the older ones.

• Advertisement

To be fair I didn't make any comment about whether Trek fans would or should like the film or not. I just said that the new film was aimed at non-fans which it pretty clearly was. So it's hardly a surprise that non-fans would like it. That's the whole idea.

If I were to put a fans cap on for a minute then I don't think it would be too hard to make the argument that there there is NO Star Trek in the cinema anyway. There's random explody Hollywood Sci-Fi movie (with more to come) which happens to use the character names from Star Trek. And that's for better or worse, depending on your point of view.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If I were to put a fans cap on for a minute then I don't think it would be too hard to make the argument that there there is NO Star Trek in the cinema anyway. There's random explody Hollywood Sci-Fi movie (with more to come) which happens to use the character names from Star Trek. And that's for better or worse, depending on your point of view.

Or there's always the argument, made much earlier in the thread, that the new Star Trek film was much closer in tone to the original series than any of the other series of films that followed.

As a non-fan (;)) my biggest problem with Star Trek is how seriously people and the shows themselves take what is, in essence, an adventure sci-fi serial. Or at least something that originated that way, albeit with the occasional broad theme examined loosely and generally strong character work. As pure spectacle blockbuster cinema gets, IMO it doesn't get much better than Star Trek 11, and the sequel is one of the only blockbusters of recent times I'm looking forward to. Having beautifully established the rebooted crew, I'm looking forward to seeing how Abrams handles telling a story without the restrictions of an origin story to get through (and the biggest problem with the last film was easily Kirk's accelerated promotions).

To be fair I didn't make any comment about whether Trek fans would or should like the film or not. I just said that the new film was aimed at non-fans which it pretty clearly was. So it's hardly a surprise that non-fans would like it. That's the whole idea.

I could think of 4 or 5 moments in the 2009 Trek that had more emotional weight than all of the TNG movies. Even the scene that they SHOULD have had in the 2009 with Kirk moved me to fcuking tears when I read it. Tears! I would have been blubbering in the cinema had that come on. FFS Nemesis was a joke of a movie. Data dies. Nothing. Picard and Riker moving on after 15 years side by side. But sure we can have a car shooting aliens while looking for body parts! That's what the fanzzz want! Putting MY fan cap on, I could argue that Star Trek, the story driven, character driven saga that it is, is back on the big screen for the first time in 16 years.

Trek 2009 was a breath of fresh air. It focused on the charaters, who they were, what drives them and how they develop over the film. Special effects and action, which is required to drive any blockbuster, is present but plays second fiddle.

Here is the scene I referred to earlier...how I wish this was how the final few moments panned out. Would have been the perfect farewell to TOS and a great way to officially pass the torch to the new crew. It would also have echoed something that Spock Prime said, and something that TOS is built upon, and that is that the relationship between Kirk and Spock is of great importance.

ALTERNATE SCENE B

SPOCK PRIME
    Then I ask that you do yourself a
    favor… put away logic, and do what
    feels right. The world you’ve inherited
    lives in the shadow of incalculable
    devastation… but there’s no reason you
    must face it alone.

And from around his neck, he removes the PENDANT that
    until now, we’ve only caught glimpses of. Places it on
    the table beside his younger self. The feeling in his
    eyes is profound…

SPOCK PRIME (CONT’D)
    This was a gift to me. Representing…
    a dream. One we were unable to fulfill.
    (softly)
    The way you can now.

And moves to the door. Stops. Offers the VULCAN SALUTE:

SPOCK PRIME (CONT’D)
    As my customary farewell would appear
    oddly self serving, I will simply say…
    good luck.

Their eyes hold. Spock turns, disappearing into the
    corridor. Young Spock stares at the empty doorway a
    beat, his mind a jumble of thoughts. Looks to the
    pendant… and realizes it’s a HOLO-EMITTER. After
    considering a beat, he hits an activation button and a
    MOVING HOLOGRAPHIC MESSAGE materializes before him:

CAPTAIN JAMES T. KIRK. WILLIAM SHATNER. As always,
    brash, wry, confident — and SINGING:

KIRK/ SHATNER
    Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to
    you…
    (stops, grins)
    I know I know, it’s illogical to
    celebrate something you had nothing to do
    with, but I haven’t had the chance to
    congratulate you on your appointment to
    the ambassadorship so I thought I’d seize
    the occasion… Bravo, Spock — they tell
    me your first mission may take you away
    for awhile, so I’ll be the first to wish
    you luck… and to say…
    (beat, emotional)
    I miss you, old friend.

… and we’re PUSHING IN on Young Spock, taking in the
    image of Kirk’s future self, the message, but above all —
    the clear, unquestionable friendship these two men had…

INT. CORRIDOR – CONTINUOUS

As Spock Prime walks off down the corridor, he passes
    right by a man conferring with a nurse — the man pauses,
    turns… it’s SAREK. Suddenly overcome by a feeling that
    the stranger who’s just passed him is… oddly familiar.

KIRK/SHATNER (V.O.)
    I suppose I’d always imagined us…
    outgrowing Starfleet together. Watching
    life swing us into our Emeritus years…

INT. STARBASE ONE – HANGAR – ETERNAL NIGHT

MUSIC BUILDING — glass walls reveal THE ENTERPRISE at
    dock, UTILITY CRAFTS floating around it, repairing.
    Standing at attention in rows, THE ENTERPRISE CREW —
    over four hundred of them wearing DRESS UNIFORMS — TRACK
    DOWN the faces, all proud:

KIRK/SHATNER (V.O.)
    I look around at the new cadets now and
    can’t help thinking… has it really been
    so long? Wasn’t it only yesterday we
    stepped onto the Enterprise as boys?
    That I had to prove to the crew I
    deserved command… and their respect?

And we STOP ON YOUNG KIRK. Composed, focused, proud. A
    man. And to every fan’s delight, finally wearing his
    YELLOW SHIRT. The FEDERATION COMMANDANT stands at a
    podium:

COMMANDANT
    This assembly calls Captain James
    Tiberius Kirk…

Kirk breaks from formation, pivots, marches down the
    hangar — past UHURA… SULU… CHEKOV… SCOTTY. All
    Beaming. Notably absent, is Spock. Kirk ascends the
    stairs, snaps to attention:

COMMANDANT (CONT’D)
    Your inspirational valor and supreme
    dedication to your comrades are in
    keeping with the highest traditions of
    service and reflect utmost credit to
    yourself, your crew, and the Federation.
    By Starfleet Order 28455, you are hereby
    directed to report to Commanding Officer,
    USS Enterprise, for duty as his relief.

Kirk turns. Walks to… PIKE. In a wheelchair now,
    wearing an ADMIRAL’S UNIFORM. Overnight, his hair’s
    turned totally grey — but despite his trauma, his
    pride’s overwhelming. They SALUTE each other:

KIRK
    I relieve you, Sir.

PIKE
    … I am relieved.

He opens a BOX in his lap — glorious in repose, a MEDAL:

PIKE (CONT’D)
    And as Fleet Admiral, for your… unique
    solution to the Kobayashi Maru, it’s my
    honor to award you with a commendation
    for original thinking.

Pike containing a smirk, pins the medal to Kirk’s
    chest…

PIKE (CONT’D)
    (a touch choked)
    Congratulations, Captain.

KIRK
    Thank you, Sir.

Kirk turns to the crowd. Eyes shining. WILD APPLAUSE.
    OUR MUSIC SOARS. Bones leans in to Sulu, rolling his
    eyes:

BONES
    … Same ship, different day.

As Kirk rejoins his crew for hugs and congratulations, we
    go to the BACK of the hangar… SPOCK PRIME. Watching.
    Moved beyond words. He turns and leaves them to it… as
    he goes…

KIRK/SHATNER (V.O.)
    I know what you’d say — ‘It’s their turn
    now, Jim…’ And of course you’re
    right… but it got me thinking:

INT. STARFLEET HOSPITAL – EARTH – DAY

Our montage comes full circle as we END on Kirk’s
    transmission:

KIRK/SHATNER
    Who’s to say we can’t go one more round?
    By the last tally, only twenty five
    percent of the galaxy’s been chartered…
    I’d call that negligent. Criminal even —
    an invitation. You once said being a
    starship captain was my first, best
    destiny… if that’s true, then yours is
    to be by my side. If there’s any true
    logic to the universe… we’ll end up on
    that bridge again someday.

Stops, grins. Because this is the part he needs to say
    most…

KIRK/SHATNER
    Admit it, Spock. For people like us, the
    journey itself… is home.

Young Spock’s face. Lost in feelings that flood through
    him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

A few silly bits let the other one down. I've rarely ever seen anyone really able to deal with time travel. It's just a bad idea and people should leave it alone.
    I think I would've preferred a standard reboot. Nothing magical happens. Just change the cannon. Same characters but fiddle around with their stories a bit. Script was good, acting pretty flawless and lens flare notwithstanding, it was visually astounding. Pity I never got to see it in the cinema.

Either way, having established the new universe, those problems I had with the first probably won't appear again so I'm free to enjoy the other elements that I really liked from the first one. Seriously looking forward to this.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Gbear wrote: »
    A few silly bits let the other one down. I've rarely ever seen anyone really able to deal with time travel. It's just a bad idea and people should leave it alone.
    I think I would've preferred a standard reboot. Nothing magical happens. Just change the cannon. Same characters but fiddle around with their stories a bit. Script was good, acting pretty flawless and lens flare notwithstanding, it was visually astounding. Pity I never got to see it in the cinema.

Either way, having established the new universe, those problems I had with the first probably won't appear again so I'm free to enjoy the other elements that I really liked from the first one. Seriously looking forward to this.

I liked the time travel aspect, was a good way to reboot but also make it a sequel too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

The litmus test will really be the second. Will it be just another "Space Voyage: Action Flick" or will we get super shiney and exciting yet intelligent "Star Trek"?

TBH if they had carried the tone, of the first 5 minutes, through the film I would have been happy.

I could think of 4 or 5 moments in the 2009 Trek that had more emotional weight than all of the TNG movies. Even the scene that they SHOULD have had in the 2009 with Kirk moved me to fcuking tears when I read it. Tears! I would have been blubbering in the cinema had that come on. FFS Nemesis was a joke of a movie. Data dies. Nothing. Picard and Riker moving on after 15 years side by side. But sure we can have a car shooting aliens while looking for body parts! That's what the fanzzz want! Putting MY fan cap on, I could argue that Star Trek, the story driven, character driven saga that it is, is back on the big screen for the first time in 16 years.

Trek 2009 was a breath of fresh air. It focused on the charaters, who they were, what drives them and how they develop over the film. Special effects and action, which is required to drive any blockbuster, is present but plays second fiddle.

Here is the scene I referred to earlier...how I wish this was how the final few moments panned out. Would have been the perfect farewell to TOS and a great way to officially pass the torch to the new crew. It would also have echoed something that Spock Prime said, and something that TOS is built upon, and that is that the relationship between Kirk and Spock is of great importance.

You're arguing against a point that I'm not really making.

Fair enough you enjoyed the 2009 film. I thought it was ok as well. Certainly far from being the worst of the films with the Trek name to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

I think most critical opinions on the last one stemmed from a desire for science fiction to be more than a turn your brain off popcorn action movie which was precisely what ST 2009 was. The entire movie made absolutely no sense but it was a lot of fun to watch. If that's all you're after then it was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

As a non-fan (;)) my biggest problem with Star Trek is how seriously people and the shows themselves take what is, in essence, an adventure sci-fi serial. Or at least something that originated that way, albeit with the occasional broad theme examined loosely and generally strong character work.
    The original series was written by a staff that included some of the best of science fiction writers of the 60s (some of them women). Yes, it was an adventure serial, but it regularly tackled themes TV shows just didn't touch back then. It's easy to dismiss it by comparison to modern TV, but it was bigger than you're making out. Honestly, the best character work from the original series is done in their movies. Of course, Star Trek is at its most effective when the sci fi ideas support the plot, but don't overwhelm the adeventure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

The Star Trek fans complaining about the 2009 film often sound as if they're saying 'How dare they make something that everyone can enjoy!'.

I hate that assumption.
    Star Trek fans just don't want their show to be dumb. Say what you will about the cheese or if it was even good but Trek strived to be more than just explosions and looks.

TOS covered interracial kisses (in the frikken 60s), futility of racial hatred, Eugenics, self sacrifice, environmental issues, revenge, our ability to grow and **** load of more that I can not even remember.

We get dumb Sci-Fi all the time. Star Trek was always above this and was better for it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TOS covered interracial kisses (in the frikken 60s), futility of racial hatred, Eugenics, self sacrifice, environmental issues, revenge, our ability to grow and **** load of more that I can not even remember.

And in fairness you get all of that in Star Trek 2009! It may be dumb fun, but its smartly made dumb fun. I particularly enjoy the interactions between the cast (most of the cast, anyway) - the youngsters really help make the new film something special. Honestly, having watched Wrath of Khan and Search for Spock very recently, I'd put Abram's effort on a near-par with Khan (new one lacks the iconic villain admittedly) and quite a bit better than Search for Spock.

Yes, TOS may have tackled grander themes, but we're not exactly dealing with Andrei Tarkovsky or Philip K. Dick levels of thematic complexity. Instead, we got a thoroughly enjoyable mix of cheesy fun and light insight. And, in abandoning the increasingly turgid franchise entries that had repelled most viewers for decades, Star Trek '09 managed to recapture that identity and rightfully win widespread acclaim in the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I thought Trek 09 was one of the best blockbusters in years tbh, I had more fun watching that one movie than the entire Star Wars prequel trilogy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think even Abrams acknowledged that the 2009 film didn't have much going on in the way of interesting sci-fi themes. It's an element of the show that most of the TNG Trek films struggled to do as well. The 2009 film was mostly focused on re-establishing the characters and the adventurous aspect of Trek, which is fine with me. Abrams had enough to do in that film without also trying to be deep and meaningful. But I certainly expect more from the sequel.

I would take serious issue, however, with Trek fans who hate on the Abrams film on the basis that Star Trek is meant to be about exploring space, etc. I mean, honestly, how much of that did Kirk and co ever do in TOS? That was just the reason for them being out there. Most episodes ended with Kirk with his shirt off fighting some alien or threatening to blow their ship up. All the utopian "we're too good for violence" stuff came later in TNG, after Roddenberry started to take the whole thing a bit too seriously, and even that was partially jettisoned once Berman took the reigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kuldeep121

Star Trek into Darkness[3][4] is an upcoming American science fiction action film directed by J. J. Abrams, written by Alex Kurtzman, Damon Lindelof and Roberto Orci.

After being called back home, the crew of the Enterprise find a seemingly unstoppable force which has attacked Starfleet and left the planet in chaos. Captain Kirk and the crew of the Enterprise are tasked with leading the deadly manhunt to capture the party responsible and settle an old score.
    It is a good news for their viewers.

kuldeep121 wrote: »
    Star Trek into Darkness[3][4] is an upcoming American science fiction action film directed by J. J. Abrams, written by Alex Kurtzman, Damon Lindelof and Roberto Orci.

After being called back home, the crew of the Enterprise find a seemingly unstoppable force which has attacked Starfleet and left the planet in chaos. Captain Kirk and the crew of the Enterprise are tasked with leading the deadly manhunt to capture the party responsible and settle an old score.
    It is a good news for their viewers.

Oh please be the Crystalline Entity.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

Syllabus wrote: »
    i should have gone on to say earlier that Enterprise was my fav series followed by Voyager and then TNG

aaah gedup da yaaaaard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

what big issues are around today that it could have covered, ones that haven't been covered by hundreds of other films, as a society we've addressed many of those issues and moved on, maybe there are still places that need some of your issues addressed but that place isn't anywhere in the western world, where this films majority audience is based,

what was the last great film that you watched that questioned a massive sociological issue thats holding us back as a species,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

I would take serious issue, however, with Trek fans who hate on the Abrams film on the basis that Star Trek is meant to be about exploring space, etc.
    For the record i'm not one of those. I dislike the film, entertaining as it was, almost purely because it was poorly written with little to no evidence of any though process behind all elements of its script & plot. A fact glossed over by its fans.

As for exploration of the unknown...
    I mean, honestly, how much of that did Kirk and co ever do in TOS? That was just the reason for them being out there. Most episodes ended with Kirk with his shirt off fighting some alien or threatening to blow their ship up.
    It came up once or twice.

The Cage/The Menagerie, Where no Man Has Gone Before, What are Little Girls Made of, Miri, The Corbomite Maneuver, Balance of Terror, The Galileo Seven, The Squire of Gothos, Arena, The Return of the Archons, Space Seed, A Taste of Armageddon, The Devil in the Dark, The Alternative Factor, The City of the Edge of Forever, The Changeling, Mirror-Mirror, The Apple, The Doomsday Machine, A Piece of the Action, The Immunity Syndrome, By Any Other Name, The Paradise Syndrome, Day of the Dove, For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky, The Tholian Web, Plato's Stepchildren, That Which Survives, The Lights of Zetar, Requiem for Methuselah, All our Yesterdays.

Advertisement