Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek Into Darkness [** SPOILERS FROM POST 452 **]

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

After the last Star Trek movie the villain could be the whale from Start Trek IV and I'd still be hugely excited...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Looks like we're finally getting that Star Trek/Torchwood crossover we always wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Looks like Christopher Nolan has started a trend.

Any guesses as to who that is? Though I suppose it's probably going to be Kirk. I don't mind if they're following a trend, its a pretty cool movie poster. If anything, it resembles something from Mass Effect 3.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Based on the jacket, I assume it's Cumberbatch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

That poster...

Beneath A Steel Batmanfield 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 livingoffline

Can't wait for the movie. And not only because I have an unhealthy obsession with Cumberbatch.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

That poster reminds me of Aldiss' Non Stop. Also, why is the Guerkin one of the buildings? Is this supposed to be London?

QDi19.jpg

Based on the jacket, I assume it's Cumberbatch.

Looking at it carefully, you're probably right. Pine's Kirk had much lighter hair.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, looks a lot like Cumberbatch to me, certainly going by the figure's stature and shape.
    Poster looks suitably gloomy, doesn't exactly fill me with excitement; one thing I liked about ST was it bucked the trend for downbeat genre-films - it was optimistic and colourful, as ST should be.
    I can also hear the Inception-style BAAAAUUUUUUUMs in my mind already.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

A film can have a darker tone and still be be exciting and fun to watch. JJ is a big Star Wars fan, so The Empire Strikes Back was probably an influence on the direction of this film.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Syllabus

.....Give me some decent episodes of DS9 over it any day.

This. This right here. This illustrates how little your opinion should mean to anyone. I mean, DS9!!

Sisko - the worst actor in the history of actors. He must have had some serious lung issues seeing as how he needed to inhale beyond the needs of any other human being before every word.

I watched DS9 but I never once enjoyed it. Its only redeeming feature was Dax(1&2)

I liked the new movie and i'll be looking forward to the new one despite the casting of cumberbun

imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Syllabus wrote: »
    This. This right here. This illustrates how little your opinion should mean to anyone. I mean, DS9!!

Sisko - the worst actor in the history of actors. He must have had some serious lung issues seeing as how he needed to inhale beyond the needs of any other human being before every word.

I watched DS9 but I never once enjoyed it. Its only redeeming feature was Dax(1&2)

I liked the new movie and i'll be looking forward to the new one despite the casting of cumberbun

imo

You know nothing John Snow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

imo
    wheres the dislike button, for me personally DS9 was the best start trek series, sisko is no picard by any means, but it had the biggest and best array of characters, the thing i dont get is why you watched 7 seasons of a show you didnt like:confused::confused::confused:,

also i do like that the hole in wall was shaped like the starfleet emblem:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

imo

Sweet Jesus, where do you start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Goldstein wrote: »
    Sweet Jesus, where do you start?

I know that you are not meant to say that a personal opinion is wrong but that really does test it

That and he does not like Benedict Cumberbatch!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

The poster is very interesting. It's Cumberbatch's villain looking over London.

I have a feeling it's a character called Garth of Izar. An unrivalled starfleet captain who was a master tactician and explorer. He rose to fleet captain before descending into madness. The Fleet captain would probably have access to the starfleet prefix codes (used to self destruct any ship).

Going by the synopsis, it seems that Kirk loses his family early in the film, and I would even suggest that family also means Catain Pike. I think that would hold alot of weight with the audience that watched the first one as he was essentially a father figure for Kirk.

I know that you are not meant to say that a personal opinion is wrong but that really does test it

That and he does not like Benedict Cumberbatch!!

imo ur opinion is wrong

iyo my opinion is wrong

thats the beauty of opinions, everyone is entitled to have one;)

i should have gone on to say earlier that Enterprise was my fav series followed by Voyager and then TNG

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

imo ur opinion is wrong

iyo my opinion is wrong

i should have gone on to say earlier that Enterprise was my fav series followed by Voyager and then TNG

Enterprise, what a boring series.

jolene blalock and linda park

'nuff said

• Advertisement

Ah c'mon lads.
    DS9 was brilliant, but respect where it's due, Enterprise was quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

imo ur opinion is wrong

iyo my opinion is wrong

Can somebody get me the 'not sure if serious' meme, please?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Ah c'mon lads.
    DS9 was brilliant, but respect where it's due, Enterprise was quite good.

It had it's moments but it was appalling at times.
    I think the first and second series were probably ok as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Khan is arguably the greatest human villain in Sci-fi film history, am I the only one who will be disappointed if Cumberbatch is not playing Khan?

The thought of Gary Mitchell upsets me.

Gbear wrote: »
    It had it's moments but it was appalling at times.
    I think the first and second series were probably ok as a whole.

All of the ST shows and films were appauling at times. They weren't perfect, none of them. But DS9 did a great job of developing characters and story arcs making the show alot stronger as it went on.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

All of the ST shows and films were appauling at times. They weren't perfect, none of them. But DS9 did a great job of developing characters and story arcs making the show alot stronger as it went on.

DS9 was class, almost front to back. There was the odd turkey in there but it was really good.

I meant Enterprise. I thought it was a good idea and started ok but descended into madness after the first couple of series.
    There's the odd time-travel episodes in the other ST series but anchoring entire series around it is a recipe for disaster.

Also: alien Nazis.

bullvine wrote: »
    Khan is arguably the greatest human villain in Sci-fi film history, am I the only one who will be disappointed if Cumberbatch is not playing Khan?

The thought of Gary Mitchell upsets me.

I'd much rather they do something original than just remake TWOK.

When they were hired to do STII, Harvey Bennet and Nicholas Meyer watched every episode of TOS and picked out Khan as a character they thought would make a great villain in the film. TWOK made Khan the iconic villain he is today. There's no reason why Abrams and co can't do the same with another character from TOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Manny Coto was really starting to turn Enterprise around when he became show runner-the multi episode arc structure in particular really helped. Voyager is as bland and tedious a television show as you can get. It's amazing how they pissed away such a promising premise. It is fun to watch Robert beltran trying to suppress his contempt for the show though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

...Into Darkness? But, but, space is always dark?!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I'd much rather they do something original than just remake TWOK.

When they were hired to do STII, Harvey Bennet and Nicholas Meyer watched every episode of TOS and picked out Khan as a character they thought would make a great villain in the film. TWOK made Khan the iconic villain he is today. There's no reason why Abrams and co can't do the same with another character from TOS.

I agree, I'd rather someone new as well but I'd also like to see someone have another go at Khan. Its just I don't find the idea of Gary Mitchell interesting. The whole ESP/Telekinetic thing has been done to death at this stage.

Advertisement