Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Mellor wrote: »
    Form 80 is only required when lodging for decision ready applications.
    In other applications the CO will request it when signed, along with requesting police certs etc.

When I did mine (186) I filled it out and lodged online before my CO was assigned. Was fine like that, once CO was assigned, all I had to do was go for medical and visa was approved the next day.

Seems a bit silly considering how much you have to fill out for the Form 80. Wanting it at the very end at their request wouldn't really make sense. It's a reasonably entrusive Form though.

Similar to every Stat dec for partner visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

irishmover wrote: »
    Seems a bit silly considering how much you have to fill out for the Form 80. Wanting it at the very end at their request wouldn't really make sense. It's a reasonably entrusive Form though.

Similar to every Stat dec for partner visa.
    The logic, I'd assume, is to have the most up to date information possible on the form. Especially with lower priority visas that could be waiting years for a CO.
    Same logic applies with Police checks/medical etc

Mellor wrote: »
    The logic, I'd assume, is to have the most up to date information possible on the form. Especially with lower priority visas that could be waiting years for a CO.
    Same logic applies with Police checks/medical etc

Yeah never really thought of it in the years category as mine was 3 weeks after EOI.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

results are in for the IELTS exam on the 20th if you log in online.

https://ielts.britishcouncil.org/checkresults.aspx

very happy to say that I won't be needing to re-take it again! :D

323991.jpg

although personally i think i performed WORSE this time than in the first one where they failed me by half a point in one section meaning I had to re-do it again and give them another €160 quid.

anyway, it's one more thing off the long to-do list sorted, so happy days. :)

EDIT: just found out that an average mark of 9 (once every individual section is more than 8) on the IELTS English exam is actually worth 20 points, so happy days indeed! :D

vibe666 wrote: »
    results are in for the IELTS exam on the 20th if you log in online.

https://ielts.britishcouncil.org/checkresults.aspx

very happy to say that I won't be needing to re-take it again! :D

323991.jpg

although personally i think i performed WORSE this time than in the first one where they failed me by half a point in one section meaning I had to re-do it again and give them another €160 quid.

anyway, it's one more thing off the long to-do list sorted, so happy days. :)

EDIT: just found out that an average mark of 9 (once every individual section is more than 8) on the IELTS English exam is actually worth 20 points, so happy days indeed! :D

Well not that it really matters for you as you still get 20 but your score for skilled migration is not your average. Its whatever your lowest score is. I got all 9's in mine except one 7.5 which meant I only got 10 points. Which is all I needed luckily. Average score means nothing.

So your score is 8.5!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Got my PR granted today, thanks to everyone here who answered my questions while I was applying. It really helped.

digiman wrote: »
    Got my PR granted today, thanks to everyone here who answered my questions while I was applying. It really helped.

Great news. Welcome to the PR club!

digiman wrote: »

Congrats Digi.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I've started to look into another possible option, which would be (as an IT contractor currently) doing the same thing in Oz, through an umbrella management company that would sponsor me on a 457, assuming I can find a contract with a daily rate over $400 a day, which I don't think would be too difficult from what I've seen given my skillset.

it seems to be much much quicker (approx. a month start to finish once I can find myself a contract), although the downside money wise is that the tax is quite high, but i don't know if it would be much higher than here or a perm position there?

the good news with that though is that when we are ready to go, we could get there in the space of a month or so from start to finish, it's just not *quite* time for that yet, we'd like to spend one last xmas here and have all the family together before we head off and there are a lot of family visits outside of that we'd need to make here and in the UK first.

the other thing is that if/when i decide to make a more permanent move, I'd still have to go through the process for a 189 visa to get PR there and I'm not sure what the situation would be if my ANZSCO code was off the list by then?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Eamonn2010

Hey folks,

I work in Digital / Social Media, with degree in English and New Media. I'm looking into immigrating to Australia, but don't see anything regarding Digital / Social / Communications in the Skilled Occupation List.

Anyone have any experience in trying to get a visa through these skills? Any luck if so? Or anyone know if they are desired skills, and I'm missing something? (Used up my working holiday visa a few years back by the way).

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Eamonn2010

Further question if anyone could assist...

if your skills aren't on the Skilled Occupation list, but you still meet the skilled migration points requirement (according to the acacia calculator I should get 70 points) are you guaranteed to get a visa?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 41 wet sand

Eamonn2010 wrote: »
    Further question if anyone could assist...

if your skills aren't on the Skilled Occupation list, but you still meet the skilled migration points requirement (according to the acacia calculator I should get 70 points) are you guaranteed to get a visa?

thanks

No. To be eligible for a skilled migration visa, it's a requirement that you receive a positive skills assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

vibe666 wrote: »
    I've started to look into another possible option, which would be (as an IT contractor currently) doing the same thing in Oz, through an umbrella management company that would sponsor me on a 457, assuming I can find a contract with a daily rate over $400 a day, which I don't think would be too difficult from what I've seen given my skillset.

it seems to be much much quicker (approx. a month start to finish once I can find myself a contract), although the downside money wise is that the tax is quite high, but i don't know if it would be much higher than here or a perm position there?

the good news with that though is that when we are ready to go, we could get there in the space of a month or so from start to finish, it's just not *quite* time for that yet, we'd like to spend one last xmas here and have all the family together before we head off and there are a lot of family visits outside of that we'd need to make here and in the UK first.

the other thing is that if/when i decide to make a more permanent move, I'd still have to go through the process for a 189 visa to get PR there and I'm not sure what the situation would be if my ANZSCO code was off the list by then?

If your ANZSCO was off the list then unfortunately there would no possible route for skilled independent PR, if you were here and were sponsored you could hopefully get your employer to nominate you for PR.

To be honest if you could get the PR visa I'd go for it. Being on a 457 isn't all that especially if the economy is a bit shaky like it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Got my grant this morning, pretty stoked!

Thanks for anyone who offered advice or answered questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Submitted my skills assessment application to ACS last Friday lunchtime, got a positive result less than one week later. I was expecting to be waiting until after Christmas for this, hope rest of application goes as smoothly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 imagine_08

Hi All

My Australian journey has been a plethora or Visa stress.

I have a query that I hope you guys can answer.

Situation - Currently on a 457 visa. This is my second employer on this visa. I did one year with a company then changed employers. Currently 11 months with this employer so still over a year away from applying for 186 via Temporary Residence Transition stream.

I have been approached by another company. They are willing to take over my sponsorship but I am not too keen on having to start over for a third time on a 457.

My question is, can this new company sponsor me on a 186 visa through Direct Entry stream ? If so can I work whilst the application has gone in? Do I need to get them to take over the 457 visa 1st in order to work with them?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Sean

imagine_08 wrote: »
    My question is, can this new company sponsor me on a 186 visa through Direct Entry stream ?
    Yes. As long as you meet the requirements for Direct entry. And the position does also.

If so can I work whilst the application has gone in? Do I need to get them to take over the 457 visa 1st in order to work with them?

You continue to work for the first company while the 457 is processing.
    Or the new company could take over the 457 (paying the costs involved), and then lodge a separate 186 application.

You could also apply for the 186 visa. And then leave the first company. You will get a bridging visa while the 186 is being decided.
    It should be possible to work while on this bridging visa, especially if you can prove that you need to pay bills.
    Where you can go ahead and get a job, or whether you need to apply for permission depends on the bridging visa type (eg: Bridging visa A or Bridging visa E)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭que pasa

Is it hard to get a second working holiday visa?

I fulfill the three month work requirement rule. However, it's over 9 years since I was in Oz and I don't remember my tax number or what bank I was with.

I have the employers details but unfortunately it was only cash in the hand so I have less evidence to provide emigration with.

I know a guy who knew a guy who got the visa even though he had only done two weeks on an orchard?

Sounds too good to be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭lalala85

I am thinking of quitting my job and moving to Australia at some stage in the summer. I have found these forums to be extremely useful in providing information.

My main concern in moving to Australia is that I would be quitting a very well paid job in Ireland and I have yet to decide whether or not moving is a mistake. I know my family will think I am mad!!!

Ideally, I would like to have a job lined up first before applying for a visa. I have been sending out my C.V. to companies. However, so far, all of my applications have been unsuccessful. Moreover, recruitment companies do not seem to want to deal with me as soon as they learn that I do not hold a visa to work in Australia.

Hence, my question is as follows, has anyone been able to successfully obtain a job in Australia before obtaining a visa or have most people first obtained a visa and then looked for a job after??

Not only would I prefer o hae a jo line up for in ou here, I also would prefer o oain on of hose sponsorship visas so ha I am no limit in working in a plae for a maximum of six months.

Help!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Hi there lalala85,

It is possible to secure a sponsor before leaving here but it really does depend on your occupation - there are very few occupations now where employers will be willing to sponsor someone from half way around the world that they have not met or worked with before. That assumes that you have the work experience (and qualifications) they are looking for to start with.

By applying for a sponsorship visa, the employer has financial and legal obligations that he needs to comply with.

If you compare this to someone who holds a permanent residency visa, the employer has no financial or legal obligations that he needs to abide by. So from an employer's perspective, he is far more likely to hire someone who holds a skilled visa over someone that he needs to arrange a sponsorship visa for.

You will find that securing a job holding a skilled visa is very different to the tonnes of knock backs that people get when trying to get a job under a sponsorship visa.

Some other points to bear in mind

The working holiday visa that you mentioned also has limitations in terms of the amount of time that you can work with any one employer (6 months - like you mentioned) and it lasts for a maximum of 12 months so it can be difficult to secure something from a career perspective.

The sponsorship visa ties you to that employer. If you want to switch jobs, you will need to find a new sponsor willing to sponsor you and pay fees again.

The skilled visa also has its downside in that it is more expensive than the other visa types and it takes about 8 months to be processed but once it is granted, it is a lifetime visa allowing you to work for whatever employer you want (in your occupation). Securing employment is significantly easier if you hold a skilled visa.

In short, unless you have contacts from family / friends or have already worked for an employer before, you could find it difficult securing sponsorship whereas the skilled visa puts you in charge of your own destiny.

You didn't advise your occupation or other details and I guess you want to remain anonymous for personal reasons so feel free to send me a private message if you have more detailed questions.

Regards,
    Declan Clune

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 Squeakf99

Hi all,

Very helpful forum. Has anyone here used true blue migration? They have a no visa no fee policy. I will be applying for Victoria state nomination 190 visa as life scientist nec. I submitted my skills assessment with Vetassess 9 weeks ago and I will sit IELTs in 3 weeks.

I live and work in Qld with my partner (both on WHV) since July. I will be applying from QLD. The Victorian state nomination website states you need a job offer but when I called they said it's not completely necessary as long as I convince then I want to live there. So I will write a letter with friends address and number in Melbourne (who I will live with) and a list of jobs applied for and a contract from my current job stating that I will finish in March and my employers number to confirm this.

True blue have quoted me 2200 despite the fact that I've done a huge amount of it already.
    Any suggestions??? Or has anyone used True Blue before. I really want this PR visa but don't want to risk doing the state nomination part alone in case I don't get it but it's a lot of extra money.

Sarah

There's not really much they'll help you with. Nothing that warrants $2200. My advice is avoid any migration agent and research anything you need yourself. I'm sure there's someone here who has done the 190 visa before, I've completed 189 so I might not be as useful as others.

You're already half way there anyway.

Hi Irish mover,

Thanks for your reply. I do think this is crazy high money. I do think it will be very difficult for me to get state nomination for Victoria while in QLD with no job offer in Victoria. So this "no visa no fee" is quite appealing.

I have contacted 4 agents. True blue quoted me thi another gave me wrong information, another said she doesn't do skilled migration visa and the other gave no response.

I cannot afford to give up my job and move to Victoria now in case I cannot get another job there. I have been trying but it's so hard on a WHV. I guess I hope the agent can get me the nomination even though I'm not there yet.

Squeakf99 wrote: »
    Hi Irish mover,

Thanks for your reply. I do think this is crazy high money. I do think it will be very difficult for me to get state nomination for Victoria while in QLD with no job offer in Victoria. So this "no visa no fee" is quite appealing.

I have contacted 4 agents. True blue quoted me thi another gave me wrong information, another said she doesn't do skilled migration visa and the other gave no response.

I cannot afford to give up my job and move to Victoria now in case I cannot get another job there. I have been trying but it's so hard on a WHV. I guess I hope the agent can get me the nomination even though I'm not there yet.

Well mind me asking what it is that they have outlined that they will do for you? I'm interested in knowing.

Also, you're certain that 190 is the visa you will be applying for? Is that due to your occupation not being on other lists? Or maybe a points issue? If you can apply for the 189 my suggestion is to definitely go for that one. It's reasonably straight forward and doesn't distinguish between States.

Edit: Nevermind, I see Life scientist nec is on CSOL and not on SOL.

imagine_08 wrote: »

My Australian journey has been a plethora or Visa stress.....I have been approached by another company. They are willing to take over my sponsorship but I am not too keen on having to start over for a third time on a 457.

Hi Sean,

The 457 visa requires you to work for the sponsoring employer only. As you know you need to apply for a new visa if you want to join a different employer.

The employer can end this sponsorship at any point in time so in a way, your visa and your performance / relations with your employer are connected.

Also under the 186 direct entry stream for the ENS visa, you must have a job offer from the employer for at least 2 years for that application.

To give you an alternative, you could consider the 189 or 190 skilled visas which are independent of any employer. They give you permanent residency for Australia and allow you to work for whichever employer you wish. So you'd have a lot more freedom under either of these visas and you control your own destiny - not your employer. On the flip side, it would mean that you would cover the costs of the visa yourself (approx EUR 6K if using an agent). The processing time takes about 8 - 10 months so you could remain working with your existing employer (or get sponsored by the new employer) while waiting for the 189 or 190 visa to be granted. But you have the freedom to pick and choose what employer you want to work for and may give you more options from a career perspective.

If you have any questions, let me know.
    Regards,
    Declan Clune

irishmover wrote: »
    Well mind me asking what it is that they have outlined that they will do for you? I'm interested in knowing.

Also, you're certain that 190 is the visa you will be applying for? Is that due to your occupation not being on other lists? Or maybe a points issue? If you can apply for the 189 my suggestion is to definitely go for that one. It's reasonably straight forward and doesn't distinguish between States.

Edit: Nevermind, I see Life scientist nec is on CSOL and not on SOL.

Hi,

Your right my occupation life scientist nec is not on SOL (required for 189 visa) but is on the CSOL (for 190 visa).

I have 50 points now (30 for age and 20 for Phd). I hope to get at least 10 points for IELTS and I will get another 5 for state nomination but I don't think I will need these points. The quote of 2200 is for advise on visa type, skills assessment, IELTS and state nomintaion application. It doesn't include the EOI application.
    They wouldn't even offer a discount considering I will have done the bulk of it myself.

This is my only hope of a PR visa so I find it quite risky to go alone. I would do a 189 alone but 190 when I'm not in the state and don't have a job offer will be hard to get.

Has anyone here got a 190 without a job offer? I will have a look through the other threads.
    Thanks folks

Hi Squeak99,

As a Life Scientist NEC, Victoria state is currently your only option for skilled migration. The 189 visa does not have Life Scientist NEC on its demand list.

As your skills assessment was submitted 9 weeks ago you have another 3 weeks or so remaining before you receive the result for this.
    The occupation they assess you as is crucial because this will actually determine your available options on where you can apply.

Note that according to the Victoria state requirement - if you are in another state, you must have a job offer in their state in order for the nomination to be approved successfully - so I would query their advice more first before you go giving up your job in QLD.

Note that with TB, they are not guaranteeing to refund all your fees - only those that are paid to them. Fees for a state nomination or visa fees to DIBP are not refunded.

Being honest, any sensible migration agents worth their salt would not take on a case in the first place unless they felt sure of your application going through successfully in the first place. If it didn't then most would also consider refunding fees too. So i would not be overly influenced by the "no visa no fee" advert. I would read the small print to see what exactly would be refunded to you. We always carry out free assessments first before taking on a file to ensure that we can actually help the customer in the first place.

If I can be any more help, let me know.

Thanks
    Declan Clune

Squeakf99 wrote: »
    Hi,

Your right my occupation life scientist nec is not on SOL (required for 189 visa) but is on the CSOL (for 190 visa).

I have 50 points now (30 for age and 20 for Phd). I hope to get at least 10 points for IELTS and I will get another 5 for state nomination but I don't think I will need these points. The quote of 2200 is for advise on visa type, skills assessment, IELTS and state nomintaion application. It doesn't include the EOI application.
    They wouldn't even offer a discount considering I will have done the bulk of it myself.

This is my only hope of a PR visa so I find it quite risky to go alone. I would do a 189 alone but 190 when I'm not in the state and don't have a job offer will be hard to get.

Has anyone here got a 190 without a job offer? I will have a look through the other threads.
    Thanks folks

Well this is the thing, a migration agent does not influence case officers nor guarantee acceptance in your circumstance. Realistically the chances of getting your visa accepted with or without a migration agent will not differ enough (most likely not at all seeing as you're capable of understanding how to do your Skills Assessment solo) to warrant paying them obscene fees.

You'll essentially be paying them to submit your visa and tell you a bunch of information you easily could find on the immigration website or calling through to the Victorian immigration.

That's just my opinion on it. I suggest asking immigration regarding having no job offer, but what your plans are if you were to be approved, will be more beneficial, and importantly a fraction of $2200 to achieve.

I agree with Irish Mover.

I would contact Vic Immigration first to confirm whether your application is going nowhere without a job offer in Vic State.
    I would not use the reason why you want to move as being life scientist NEC only appears on Vic State shortage list. It isn't a convincing reason as to why you want to move there.

I would probably research a number of open vacancies in your occupation (within Life Scientist NEC) and also use your friends / contacts living there as your primary reasons for wanting to move there. Remember though that the immigration officer you speak with may have a different opinion compared with the guy that would be reviewing your state nomination application. So there is no guarantee but at least you will get a good guide on whether they will accept your application without a job offer.

AUD 2200 is a lot for just giving you advice especially if they don't check or prepare your file or lodge it or handle any immigration queries for you. Seems a lot especially when you are doing everything.

Regards,
    Declan Clune

• Advertisement

I will get a contract from the agent and determine exactly what they will do for this fee and what they will refund. The state nomination application itself is free in Victoria but obviously will need to pay 3500 to DIBP if I get this.

I have called the Vic migration office and the told me I can apply outside Vic without a job offer but I will need to convince them that I want to live in Vic. I said that I would give evidence of jobs applied for along with an address and contact details of the friends I will live with and they said that would be good. They said there is no "ceiling" as such but everyone is in competition with each other so if others have better applications they will get it over me. They will a bit vague but I will call again when I get my skills assessment and see what they say. Hopefuly that is positive, the Vetassess advisory service said it was "highly likely" that I would get a positive outcome, but that's no guarantee.

I will try determine what they will do that I can't on my own. Bu from what you guys says if I've got this far maybe I can also get to the next stage with help from really helpful forums like this.

Would a job offer for my partner in Melbourne help much do you guys reckon?

Advertisement