Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I Dont see how a job offer for your partner in Vic wouldn't help. It certainly would provide an extra reason as to why you desire victoria over another state.

I skimmed over the immi.gov 190 page and noticed a minimum of $20k in your bank account to prove you can sustain yourself whilst searching for a job in Victoria. This was just a quick skim over so I may not know the full story but are you aware of this requirement?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Squeakf99

irishmover wrote: »
    I Dont see how a job offer for your partner in Vic wouldn't help. It certainly would provide an extra reason as to why you desire victoria over another state.

I will definitely try my best to get this and put as good a case forward as possible

I skimmed over the immi.gov 190 page and noticed a minimum of $20k in your bank account to prove you can sustain yourself whilst searching for a job in Victoria. This was just a quick skim over so I may not know the full story but are you aware of this requirement?[/QUOTE]

Ye I realise this and with my partner we can transfer all our money into the same account and will be just a few thousand short. They do state "We do not require evidence of these financial resources."

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Squeakf99

I spoke to "Australia here we come" and they said despite the migration office saying I don't need a job offer, they don't my chances are very slim without one. Even if I move to Victoria before applying they may think I only moved to apply so it's very hard to know what to do.

Does anyone know what qualifies as a job offer? Does it need to be a full work contract or does a letter or email stating the terms of employment along with company details and ABN suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Hey just starting my 187 visa at the minute. Im a sponsored (457) Construction Estimator in Perth. Im on the 457 for 15 months but need PR asap.

My employer has just got a quote of $8000 for me and my partner and agent costs. As I will be going the direct entry route what could I get sorted now so I can lodge my application straight after my nomination comes thru?

Could I get police clearance?
    Skills assessed?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Hi there Rightyabe,

Did you mean 187 RSMS visa or 186 ENS visa?

What exactly does that quote cover?
    Immigration fees alone are AUD 6380 - RSMS 187 visa OR AUD 5820 - ENS 186 visa.
    This does not include the agent fees and does not account for skills assessment fees either

The AUD 8000 would seem to be too low so just double check what you are getting in that quote!

Is the employer already approved for nomination?

I know you say you need PR asap.
    Once your visa application is submitted, you will be put on a bridging visa if your current 457 is about to expire.

Regards
    Declan Clune

• Advertisement

Hi Declan.

My employer told me the cost as $3500 for me 1500 for my partner and 3000 in agent costs. I thought 5000 very cheap my self to be honest. It's a 187 visa for sure.

My employer got me to sign a thing there the last day to say they started the application and I've to stay 2 years etc..

They sponsored me on 457 so not sure if there approved to nominate me etc..

He is not too far off with the current immigration fees of
    AUD 3520 - main applicant
    AUD 1760 - partner

You have your skills assessment fees and medicals in addition also but I understand that you already have your skills assessment underway.
    It is great that the employer is covering your immigration and agent fees. Even better for you is that once your visa is granted, you are not necessarily tied to that employer so you can take up employment with another employer even though you have a 2 year job offer.

Declan

He is not too far off with the current immigration fees of
    AUD 3520 - main applicant
    AUD 1760 - partner

You have your skills assessment fees and medicals in addition also but I understand that you already have your skills assessment underway.
    It is great that the employer is covering your immigration and agent fees. Even better for you is that once your visa is granted, you are not necessarily tied to that employer so you can take up employment with another employer even though you have a 2 year job offer.

Declan

I still haven't started my skills assessment yet. Can I start it now? How long could it take and who do I apply to? I'm a construction estimator?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

I've recently became PR, was intending to stay for 2-3 years more in Sydney and get citizenship next January also. However a really good job opportunity has come at home that has got me thinking about me going back.

Q1, can my PR Visa be extended from Ireland when it runs out in 4 years if I left Sydney this year and didn't come back?
    Q2, I've heard it's possible to get your super back if you declare that you won't be returning to Australia again, any truth to this? I guess I would have to give up the PR at that stage anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,039 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

@Digi
    If in the future you wanted to come back, you could always get a returning residebt visa if PR expires.

There was discussion previous about claiming super back after PR expires or after requesting it be cancelled.
    But I can't remember which way it went.

rightyabe wrote: »
    I still haven't started my skills assessment yet. Can I start it now? How long could it take and who do I apply to? I'm a construction estimator?

Hi Rightyabe,

You can do your skills assessment at any point you wish. Although it remains valid generally for 12 months (depending on the assessing body).

Again the timeframe depends on the assessing body in question but a typical timeframe is 2 - 3 months.

If you need specific assistance with getting that granted, let me know.

Thanks Declan

digiman wrote: »
    I've recently became PR, was intending to stay for 2-3 years more in Sydney and get citizenship next January also. However a really good job opportunity has come at home that has got me thinking about me going back.

Q1, can my PR Visa be extended from Ireland when it runs out in 4 years if I left Sydney this year and didn't come back?
    Q2, I've heard it's possible to get your super back if you declare that you won't be returning to Australia again, any truth to this? I guess I would have to give up the PR at that stage anyway.

Hi Digiman,

If you leave Australia and your PR expires while you are outside of Australia - which is your case, you will need to apply for a new (permanent residency) visa to return to Australia. YOu cannot extend your PR visa.

If you are in Australia when the 5 year residency visa expires, then you can apply for a resident return visa if you leave Australia with a view to returning. To avoid this most people apply for citizenship after 4 years of living in Australia - the final year at least being as a permanent resident.

In terms of reclaiming super, I confirmed with Taxback.com that once you are resident, you can't recliam your super back. You can call them on 1800 674 014 for more infromation.

Thanks
    Declan

Hi Digiman,

If you leave Australia and your PR expires while you are outside of Australia - which is your case, you will need to apply for a new (permanent residency) visa to return to Australia. YOu cannot extend your PR visa.

If you are in Australia when the 5 year residency visa expires, then you can apply for a resident return visa if you leave Australia with a view to returning. To avoid this most people apply for citizenship after 4 years of living in Australia - the final year at least being as a permanent resident.

In terms of reclaiming super, I confirmed with Taxback.com that once you are resident, you can't recliam your super back. You can call them on 1800 674 014 for more infromation.

Thanks
    Declan

According to the immigration website link I posted above you do not need to apply for a new visa. Its case officer dependant.
    Subclass 155 Resident Return visa

You might be able to be granted this visa if you:

have spent a period totalling two years in the last five years in Australia as either an Australian permanent resident or citizen (the 'residence requirement').
    have not spent two of the last five years in Australia as a permanent resident or citizen, but can satisfy the processing officer that you have substantial business, cultural, employment or personal ties of benefit to Australia, and:
    are lodging while in Australia and can show compelling reasons for any continuous absence from Australia of more than five years;
    are lodging while overseas, were a permanent resident or citizen when you last departed Australia and can show compelling reasons for any continuous absence from Australia of more than five years;
    are lodging while overseas, were a permanent resident or citizen in the last 10 years and can show compelling reasons for absence(s) over five years

A resident return visa requires you to have compelling reasons or substantial ties to Australia in order to be considered.

From the strings above, Digi has recently just secured PR and wants to know can he extend PR if he leaves.
    He can't extend the current visa.
    And if he leaves Australia now for a job overseas, it would be very hard (almost impossible) to show compelling reasons or substantial ties to Australia.

On this basis, he would not be issued a resident return visa and so he would need to apply for a new PR visa.

A resident return visa requires you to have compelling reasons or substantial ties to Australia in order to be considered.

From the strings above, Digi has recently just secured PR and wants to know can he extend PR if he leaves.
    He can't extend the current visa.
    And if he leaves Australia now for a job overseas, it would be very hard (almost impossible) to show compelling reasons or substantial ties to Australia.

On this basis, he would not be issued a resident return visa and so he would need to apply for a new PR visa.

That is all true but you originally said Digi cannot extend their PR. Which is untrue. How are you to know Digi doesn't have compelling ties to Australia? Most likely they do not but I think best to inform of the avenues to continue PR than to simply tell them no they can't get an RRV.

Also, it would appear they may not be too far off the 2 years needed (looks like 1 year into PR) to ensure access to a RRV, which may be achievable and still be able to return to Ireland to this employer.

irishmover, you cannot extend your current visa - that is already granted and cannot be changed.

He may be able to obtain a new visa - whether that be a resident return visa or a different PR visa.
    In either case, they are new visa applications that would need to be submitted to DIBP.
    The current visa is issued for 5 years and cannot be extended.

In terms of compelling circumstances - I advised that my assumption was based on the information provided which is limited.
    He mentioned that his visa is a newly granted PR visa, he would be out of Australia for the next 4 years, there is no mention of running his own business or having any close family who are Australian citizens/residents.
    Given these facts, it would be difficult for Digiman to prove compelling circumstances.

Digiman, if your situation is different or you have additional information, you are more than welcome to either post that information or send me a PM and I will advise in my capacity as a registered migration agent.

Thanks Declan

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

This is not entirely accurate as there are cases where you can reclaim it on grounds of hardship but on its most basic level, it cannot be reclaimed.

irishmover, you cannot extend your current visa - that is already granted and cannot be changed.

He may be able to obtain a new visa - whether that be a resident return visa or a different PR visa.
    In either case, they are new visa applications that would need to be submitted to DIBP.
    The current visa is issued for 5 years and cannot be extended.

In terms of compelling circumstances - I advised that my assumption was based on the information provided which is limited.
    He mentioned that his visa is a newly granted PR visa, he would be out of Australia for the next 4 years, there is no mention of running his own business or having any close family who are Australian citizens/residents.
    Given these facts, it would be difficult for Digiman to prove compelling circumstances.

Digiman, if your situation is different or you have additional information, you are more than welcome to either post that information or send me a PM and I will advise in my capacity as a registered migration agent.

Thanks Declan

But there is the possibility of getting a resident return visa, which is not an extension (like you said) but a whole new 5 year visa, at a massively reduced price and much easier to achieve than the first PR visa. Obviously Digi did not know this. Easier for digi to see what is required to achieve the resident return visa (which is the only real avenue here if they want to come back) than to just say no its not possible. Let them come to their conclusions with all the facts is my opinion.

Anyway, I've done my bit to help them ensure they are aware of what the requirements are to return to Australia after PR has expired and that's really all I want to say. Hopefully this helps them with whatever decision they make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Slideways

I'm fairly sure I know the answer but I'll ask anyway.

I was in Australia for 1 year on a WHV in 06/07

I moved here in Feb 2012 on a 457 and got PR 15 months ago.

How soon can I apply for citizenship?

• Advertisement

Legend100 wrote: »
    This is not entirely accurate as there are cases where you can reclaim it on grounds of hardship but on its most basic level, it cannot be reclaimed.

Hi Legend,

Yes - you could be right there, I am not certain on this but that is what I was told when I asked Taxback.com for Digiman.

Digiman, you can check with either Taxback.com directly on 1800 674014 or else contact the ATO.

Regards,
    Declan

Hi Declan,

I was wondering if I could pick your brain on something,

Every year, around this time, we hear of possible occupations being removed from the SOL, most notably accountants.

I am currently gathering my info so I can get my skills assessment done as soon as possible for the 189 (try to get my EOI in before the end of June)

Have you heard any rumblings in your dealings with Immi that accountants could be removed in July?

thaks

Slideways wrote: »

Feb 2016 you can apply.

Criteria is 4 years in Australia on any visa and 1 year immediately leading up to citizenship application as PR. So the WHV time counts.

Note that there are day restrictions for being outside Australia over the four years. Its reasonable but I'd check it up on the immi citizenship page to confirm of you're within the limit.

Edit: sorry just seen it was whv is 06/07 that doesn't count as its outside the 4 year requirement so Feb 2016 is still a goer.

https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/citz/startIntervalCalc.do

Slideways wrote: »

Feb 2016 if you have remained in Australia for the majority of this time. The rule is

4 years continuously living in Australia plus the last year on a PR visa before applying.
    NOTE - You cannot be outside of Australia for more than 3 months per year during that 4 year period and not more than a 12 months gap in total over the previous 4 years before applying.

So your time on the 457 and PR will count if you have not been outside Australia as per the note.
    Your time on the WHV does not count however as it is outside the most recent 4 years.

Thanks Declan

Legend100 wrote: »
    Hi Declan,

I was wondering if I could pick your brain on something,

Every year, around this time, we hear of possible occupations being removed from the SOL, most notably accountants.

I am currently gathering my info so I can get my skills assessment done as soon as possible for the 189 (try to get my EOI in before the end of June)

Have you heard any rumblings in your dealings with Immi that accountants could be removed in July?

thaks

Hi Legend,

Yes, there have been rumblings about the removal of accountants from the demand list but that is all it is at this point.

My advice to anyone looking to apply for a visa is get your application submitted while you are still eligible. Immigration can bring in changes at any time - not just in July.

The professional bodies are up in arms about the suggestion of removing accountants from the demand list so DIBP has been slow to make any changes here. But they could if they feel it appropriate.

I know it doesn't really answer the question, but you need to ensure to get your skills assessment and visa application in process quickly and correctly.

Book your academic IELTS ASAP if you haven't done so already. You need a 7.0 at least on all 4 subjects for your assessment.

Regards,
    Declan

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Hello everyone,

I've been on my 457 for two years now and Im ready for the move to PR. I want to do it myself as the visa agents tend to charge massive amounts for F all. I understand there are several different routes but I need advice on the best way to go. So basically my circumstances are I'm single, being on the 457 visa for two years, qualified car mechanic for nearly three years and working for the same company since I came over.
    I know if I go through ENS I won't need to get skilled assessed but is there an independent scheme I can go through that doesn't involve me leaving the country or getting skilled assessed. I'd rather keep cost to a minimum and be able to move about without staying with the one employer for a few years.
    If I have to pay for skills assessment I will but I don't fancy doing that regional visa. Also I plan on staying in Perth.

Any help will be truly appreciated,
    Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Just had a look at the Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189). This gave me a fright, as Im already on a 457 does that mean Im out or is there a loophole?:confused:
    This visa is for points-tested skilled workers who are not sponsored by an employer or family member or nominated by a state or territory government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I may just have to return for a while before it expires then so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

digiman wrote: »

I'm pretty sure you have to enter the country every 18 months to keep it active.

Once you pull your super, you are done AFIK

• Advertisement

Hi Legend,

Yes, there have been rumblings about the removal of accountants from the demand list but that is all it is at this point.

My advice to anyone looking to apply for a visa is get your application submitted while you are still eligible. Immigration can bring in changes at any time - not just in July.

The professional bodies are up in arms about the suggestion of removing accountants from the demand list so DIBP has been slow to make any changes here. But they could if they feel it appropriate.

I know it doesn't really answer the question, but you need to ensure to get your skills assessment and visa application in process quickly and correctly.

Book your academic IELTS ASAP if you haven't done so already. You need a 7.0 at least on all 4 subjects for your assessment.

Regards,
    Declan

thanks Declan,

I have the IELTS completed so that is one tick off the list. Gathering my skills assessment info at the moment so hopefully I can get that submitted in the next few weeks.

Advertisement