Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Skilled Migration Visa - Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Did they confirm that your medicals are ticked off as completed on their end? As in they received them and are all in compliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭linola_c

No Irishmover, we didn't hear anything but they come up as received on our immi account and then there is a sentence at the bottom saying, no health examinations required due to the information that has been provided to immigration.

So I thought that all looked ok?

This visa is consuming my every waking minute. I am so worried now 😞

Got the grant today everyone, so I guess there is a bit of a backlog with 189s at the moment!

linola_c wrote: »
    Got the grant today everyone, so I guess there is a bit of a backlog with 189s at the moment!

Congrats. I bet that's a relief!

Like you wouldn't believe!!!

So happy right now...:):):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

Hi all, I'm wondering if 60 points is generally considered sufficient for a Skill Select EOI?

I'm ending off for my qualification and work experience approval this week from Engineers Australia and i'm sitting my IELTS on the 18th. If I get 10 points from IELTS i'll have 60 points total, but hopefully I'll get 20 points from it and have 70 points in total.

EDIT: oh bugger...

2339 Other Engineering Proffesionals 737 / 1000

flip, this category is filling up fast...

• Registered Users Posts: 28 niterain84

Hi all, I'm wondering if 60 points is generally considered sufficient for a Skill Select EOI?

I'm ending off for my qualification and work experience approval this week from Engineers Australia and i'm sitting my IELTS on the 18th. If I get 10 points from IELTS i'll have 60 points total, but hopefully I'll get 20 points from it and have 70 points in total.

60 is the minimum that you need to lodge EOI. Its all about demand. Offers to apply for visa are given to people with the most points first, 75,70,65,60 etc. If you look at the previous results from invitation rounds the majority got offers with 60 and 65 points. So you will get an offer with 60 points some time, maybe not in the first rounds. Doesnt hurt to have more points, so i would do some study for IELTS. i have done it, i did a fair bit of study and got 8 overall, nice 20 points for the EOI.

Dont worry for the 2339 category filling up. The financial year in Australia runs from 1st july to 30 June. So those figures will be set back to zero today as the year 2014-2015 is just starting today.

I applied under this category with 65 points and got invitation straight away. just to let you know it took my letter from Enginneers Australia nearly 3 months to come from when i sent application. without that you cant lodge EOI.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

niterain84 wrote: »
    60 is the minimum that you need to lodge EOI. Its all about demand. Offers to apply for visa are given to people with the most points first, 75,70,65,60 etc. If you look at the previous results from invitation rounds the majority got offers with 60 and 65 points. So you will get an offer with 60 points some time, maybe not in the first rounds. Doesnt hurt to have more points, so i would do some study for IELTS. i have done it, i did a fair bit of study and got 8 overall, nice 20 points for the EOI.

Dont worry for the 2339 category filling up. The financial year in Australia runs from 1st july to 30 June. So those figures will be set back to zero today as the year 2014-2015 is just starting today.

I applied under this category with 65 points and got invitation straight away. just to let you know it took my letter from Enginneers Australia nearly 3 months to come from when i sent application. without that you cant lodge EOI.

Good luck

Thanks very much for your reply! very helpful!

3 months though!! YIKES!
    It says on their website 8 weeks at the moment for accredited qualifications and 16 weeks for non-accredited. I take it these arn't really accurate then?

I plan on heading over at the end of Sept on a WHV and do some travel whilst my 189 is progressing. This means I'll begin the application process in Ireland and finalise it and (hopefully) be awarded PR whilst already in Oz.

Thanks very much for your reply! very helpful!

3 months though!! YIKES!
    It says on their website 8 weeks at the moment for accredited qualifications and 16 weeks for non-accredited. I take it these arn't really accurate then?

I plan on heading over at the end of Sept on a WHV and do some travel whilst my 189 is progressing. This means I'll begin the application process in Ireland and finalise it and (hopefully) be awarded PR whilst already in Oz.

yeah 8 weeks is about right but you have to remember to allow time for postage to/from the other side of the world which adds an extra 2 to 3 weeks to the process. I think mine was 2 and half months or about that anyway. Tip: send it by registered post, so can track it and know when it arrives in Australia. At least u can be sure it arrived ok and start counting down the 8 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 13 wd42

Not sure if anyone can help, I've trawled the net seeking an answer and have sent an e-mail to ACS but not sure if they will reply.

Submitted an RPL skills assessment, got a positive result back.

Now, to successfully pass an RPL assessment you require a minimum of 8 years experience.
    However, they take this 8 years away from your work experience for DIAC.

eg. if you have 11 years experience, 8 years is taken away(as equivalent to degree) and you now have 3 years post qualification experience.

So, in my current situation I can say I have 3.5 years experience(post RPL/degree) which will give me 5 points of the 60 required to submit EOI

5 years experience is required to gain 10 points.

Now, I currently can gain 55 points through age/ielts/experience/state sponsor

If I wait a year and half I would have the experience for extra 5 points but will lose 10 for my age!!

I am currently in the process of gaining CCNP which is equivalent to diploma and can gain 10 points but will my current skills assessment still be acceptable and I can show DIAC my qualification for the points or would I have to start a whole new skills assessment.

So, my question is, if I gain this cert will I be required to submit a new skills assessment and will work experience only count after cert is gained?

Head wrecked! Thanks

• Advertisement

wd42 wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone can help, I've trawled the net seeking an answer and have sent an e-mail to ACS but not sure if they will reply.

Submitted an RPL skills assessment, got a positive result back.

Now, to successfully pass an RPL assessment you require a minimum of 8 years experience.
    However, they take this 8 years away from your work experience for DIAC.

eg. if you have 11 years experience, 8 years is taken away(as equivalent to degree) and you now have 3 years post qualification experience.

So, in my current situation I can say I have 3.5 years experience(post RPL/degree) which will give me 5 points of the 60 required to submit EOI

5 years experience is required to gain 10 points.

Now, I currently can gain 55 points through age/ielts/experience/state sponsor

If I wait a year and half I would have the experience for extra 5 points but will lose 10 for my age!!

I am currently in the process of gaining CCNP which is equivalent to diploma and can gain 10 points but will my current skills assessment still be acceptable and I can show DIAC my qualification for the points or would I have to start a whole new skills assessment.

So, my question is, if I gain this cert will I be required to submit a new skills assessment and will work experience only count after cert is gained?

Head wrecked! Thanks

how will you lose 10 points for age in a year and a half? the points for age are in increments of 5, unless you turn 45 yrs old then you would lose 15 points.

as for the skills assesment its a complicated case but if u want the cert included youre going to need a new skills assesment to take this into account. but how this will affect the recognition of experience prior to the cert im not sure. best to try to get some professional advice from a migration agent. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

I've just submitted an EOI for a 189 and I have 60 points. If I get an invite with that many is it possible it could get declined later on in the application process because someone else had more points. I didn't do the English test but guess could do this if I needed more points. Any advice?

digiman wrote: »
    I've just submitted an EOI for a 189 and I have 60 points. If I get an invite with that many is it possible it could get declined later on in the application process because someone else had more points. I didn't do the English test but guess could do this if I needed more points. Any advice?

Once you get invited to apply you've got your slot and won't be handed to someone else because they've more points.

Just some info on prices for anyone that has to do the medical assessment here in Ireland for the 189 Visa. I got a price for the standard check (ie. medical exam, chest x-ray and blood tests). I dont know about prices in the Cork clinic as its not convenient for me. (prices are for 1 adult)

Euromedic Northwood,Dublin 285 Euro

Mater Private, Dublin, 275 Euro

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

How do you find out what the current quota is per occupation?

Shy Ted wrote: »
    How do you find out what the current quota is per occupation?

Go to Skillselect page on Dept Immigration Australia website. I cant post link as im a new user. just google skillselect.

Click on occupation ceilings and scroll down.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

Thanks niterain84.

For all others that might be interested here's a link to the occupational ceilings list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

46/1000 now, looks like it reset

• Registered Users Posts: 30 NiallSORo

46/1000 now, looks like it reset

Yes, rolled over on 1 July.

Got my invite last night, missed the first round but looking at the results there was almost 700 people with 65+ points so not as many people able to get in with 60 points.

Have just filled out the online form and applied for the Visa, also applied for my medicals.
    Next step is to apply for Garda and Australian Police checks. Anybody got any experience in applying for these from Australia?

• Advertisement

Got my invite last night, missed the first round but looking at the results there was almost 700 people with 65+ points so not as many people able to get in with 60 points.

Have just filled out the online form and applied for the Visa, also applied for my medicals.
    Next step is to apply for Garda and Australian Police checks. Anybody got any experience in applying for these from Australia?

You could have got both sorted long ago. The Australian one is easy but the Irish one is a little more tricky and takes a while as they're useless!

Here's the link anyway to the info you need. I suggest getting this sorted in the next few days. I got my mam to go into the local Garda station with my letter and they accepted that without an issue. They screwed up my date of birth on the cert though so had to get them to amend it...

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/law_enforcement/police_certificate.html

irishmover wrote: »
    You could have got both sorted long ago. The Australian one is easy but the Irish one is a little more tricky and takes a while as they're useless!

Here's the link anyway to the info you need. I suggest getting this sorted in the next few days. I got my mam to go into the local Garda station with my letter and they accepted that without an issue. They screwed up my date of birth on the cert though so had to get them to amend it...

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/law_enforcement/police_certificate.html

Thanks, will try the same. Doing as much as I can tonight, looking back now should have done this ages ago is right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

irishmover wrote: »

I got my irish one in less than 3 weeks. Filled the form in over here, scanned it and had my parents post it. Arrived in my letterbox in Perth less than 3 weeks later. I was shocked to be honest.

AFP one is easy to get and only takes a few days

• Registered Users Posts: 30 NiallSORo

Get somebody at home to scan and email it prior to posting. The scan will suffice for uploading to ImmiAccount, and this will also mitigate any postal service fails.

Niall O'Rourke

Sundy wrote: »
    I got my irish one in less than 3 weeks. Filled the form in over here, scanned it and had my parents post it. Arrived in my letterbox in Perth less than 3 weeks later. I was shocked to be honest.

AFP one is easy to get and only takes a few days

I got mine in two weeks but because they were useless and put my wrong date of birth (it was wrote down for them!) it took another week to get it sorted again.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Timistry

Similar to Linola C, waiting apprehensively for notification from my immigration agent that an officer has been assigned to the "case". Applied in April and I was told to expect 4-6 months to elapse before a decision is made.

My fourth year will start next week so Im hoping it will be granted soon or at the latest around my birthday at the end of september :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

Timistry wrote: »
    Similar to Linola C, waiting apprehensively for notification from my immigration agent that an officer has been assigned to the "case". Applied in April and I was told to expect 4-6 months to elapse before a decision is made.

My fourth year will start next week so Im hoping it will be granted soon or at the latest around my birthday at the end of september :)

Lots of people getting grants without ever having a case officer assigned, especially if everything was front loaded. So don't worry too much.

On a separate note I got my AFP police clearance back in May and am applying soon. Should I get another more recent one or would the one from May suffice?

Lots of people getting grants without ever having a case officer assigned, especially if everything was front loaded. So don't worry too much.

On a separate note I got my AFP police clearance back in May and am applying soon. Should I get another more recent one or would the one from May suffice?

Believe it's either valid for 1 year or 2. So you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,061 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You can't get it granted without a case officer. They are the person who basically makes the decision, even its its all there decision ready, they have to be assigned to check the documents and press the button.

Valid for 12 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

Mellor wrote: »
    You can't get it granted without a case officer. They are the person who basically makes the decision, even its its all there decision ready, they have to be assigned to check the documents and press the button.

ths.

You can get what some people call a direct grant. A case officer is assigned to your case but if everything is on order you just get the grant email. That is your first and last contact with your case officer. This is what happened to us.

Advertisement