Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jesters first Marathon & HIM attempt's.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Well back to the hospital yesterday and with the injuries and pain i'm feeling the doctor has advised to take a minimum 4 weeks off training. Ill obviosly see how i feel myself but this is an awful long time.

Will need physio and he reckons i could have a lot of pain for 8-10 weeks.

So wheres that leave this year. HIM is defo out, ive been looking at ones next year and am thinking of doing one in May in Spain.

18 week training programme for the marathon starts in over a week so may jump into that about week 16 and that will keep me busy for rest of year. Problem with the tri will be swimming with the injury so will see how quick that recovers before deciding on any more tri's.

Well it was 4 weeks since the accident and still a bit of pain around shoulder and chest where the door punctured the muscle.

Its been a very hard 4 weeks and have been dying to get back training.

Last Tuesday i did a very slow 5 k, this took about 30 mins and was quite painful but no pain after it or next day, did the same thing on Thursday and felt a bit better.

Then sat i went out with the mrs and did 14.5 k, took forever but got through it in one piece so am going to try and get back proper training this week.

Ill jump straight into marathon training and havent missed too much. Back swiming tuesday and thursday too and that should help the injury hopefully.

No bike yet but may have a go the weekend, sort of being putting that off. Went and got my new helmet the weekend too.

Attached is the helmet, ya can see i landed on the back part of my head somehow, no idea how as was knocked clean out.

8 K run ronight, went better than expected and finished in 41 mins so gradually improving which is good.

Tues 10th
    5 K RUN

First time back swimming and found it very sore and tough.
    200 FRONT
    200 BACK
    200 BREAST ST
    200 KICKS
    100 LEFT ARM
    100 RIGHT ARM
    100 WARM DOWN

Wed
    5 K run

Thurs
    Same as Tuesday
    5 K RUN

200 FRONT
    200 BACK
    200 BREAST ST
    200 KICKS
    100 LEFT ARM
    100 RIGHT ARM
    100 WARM DOWN

Friday
    First acupuncture session and went well, stopped pain until last night but will need a couple of sessions.

Saturday
    10.5 k Run

Sunday - Rest Day

Monday
    First time back on the bike today, been 5 weeks. THought i'd be fine but was actually a little nervey when cars went past me. Did 28 KM in about an hour.

Tuesday
    Switched my weekend LSR totonight with the FIngal 10k on sunday. So was a 17.5 km run and was with a friend which is really helping so far. Smashing evening and the heat was tough. Went Swimming after and then about 1000 M of front stroke sets.

Wednesday
    Feet were shattered tonight so didnt go back training with the tri club, went and did 8 km at about 5.15 pace.

Thursday
    Run Speed session - 1 km warm up, followerd by 400 M UP HILL runs at 4 min km pace and then down hill at 6 min km pace. 5 sets of these followed by 1 km cool down.

Swim session after of 1200 M, again alot of work done on fitness with breathing the focus.

Friday and Sat - Two rest days

Sunday - Fingal 10 KM
    Nice to get back to a race, this was right on the door step so was nice and handy.

Started out at back of first wave and was hard to get past people, first km was about 6.30 mins as was quite congested, my own fault for not arriving early, got into a nice pace after this and was going nicely. Hit a bit of a bad spot about 5 km through and started getting pain in the shoulder wound. Brutal stuff going through my mind here, like dropping out. Got a bit of a second wind and hit the hill and found it ok as i've run that a few times. Last 2 km's i ran close to 4 mins km so felt like i had left a bit out on the course which dissapointed me but was happy enough overall with 49.17 in first race back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Well done on the great 10k time, glad to see you back training.

Advertisement