Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jesters first Marathon & HIM attempt's.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Very good weeks running but not much done in swimming or Cycling. Just under 7 weeks to Connemara and getting excited now, Hopefully this flys in.

Monday 06th
    Very slow 10 km Hill run up Howth wih the mrs, was perfect recovery run after 27.5 km the day before. Went up the Sutton side of the hill which is about 5 km to the top and incline goes to 400 ft over about 5km.

Tuesday 07th
    Up to Howth again with a friend and added an extra distance in so was a 14km run, this time we went up the Hill the Howth side which is much sharper and only 2 km in distance but 400 ft again, first time to do this side and was very tough. Looks very similar to last hill in CONN. Did this run speedy enough in about 5.10 min KM's.

Swim - Straight to Swim fit after, loads of sets of 100 metres and some sprints. All in all just over 1000 M.

Wednesday 08th
    Running with the Tri club tonight, 1.5 KM warmup, then sets of 50 m bum kicks, 50 m high kneess, 50 m long leaps followed by 100 M sprint. Repeat this 5 times. Then it got interesting, the coach was on a bike and we did lots of sprinting.
    1 MIN JOG followed by 1MIN flat out sprint
    1.30 JOG followed by 1.30 flat out sprint
    1.30 JOG followed by 1.30 flat out sprint

This was tough enough as am new to speed work, enjoyed it though.

Thursday 09th
    Very slow 5 km run

Swim - Lots of work on the stoke followed by few sets and then ending in a ten min swim

Friday 10th - Rest Day

Saturday 11th
    LSR today, did 29.3 km, felt decent enough, strangley during my long runs i'm gewtting pain just below my left shoulder, when i stop and drink it seems to dissapear so not sure if this is to do with dehydration. Run took 2.52.

Sunday 12th
    Did the same route as last week thought Baldoyle, Portmarnock and Malahide before heading back t swords. 27.5 KM.

There was loads of people out swimming on Portmarnock Beach today.

So decent week for the running, feel quite rested today having done the LSR on sat and not Sun.

jester1980 wrote: »
    All has been going so well in my marathon programme and then i decide to get back to the cycling and i pick up a little knock. .

Same knock has come back this week after cycling on Sunday, its an exact repeat of where it was sore just above the ankle so have done nothing so far this week. Feels a little better today so may try 5 k slow tonight and if at all uncomfortable ill stop.

I have to get 50 k in this week so ill see how that goes, may have to miss a run which i hate doing. LSR is only 21 k which is good though so hopefully i'll be ok.

I've decided not to play with fire and and will completley leave the cycling until the Marathon is finished, its keeping me out for a few days and with just under 6 weeks i don't want to take any more chances. Completley messing with my head missing runs as well :(

Tred running on Sat and pain was brutal so got myself a physio appointment this morning. First ever one.

Luckily i'm not injured but my legs are in bad shape, He said my legs were like Bricks. So he spent a good 45 mins working on the one leg and the foot, showed me where the problems where etc.

So ive to do a swim tonight and then a slow 5 k tomorrow and ring him after both. Hopefully it has worked.

The head was in a bad place on sat after trying to run, was thinking would i have to pull out of Conn and what a waste the past 11 weeks had been.

Not sure on the missed week now, 50 k down, do i just forget about it and continue onto the next week?

Well i was back light training last week and felt okay, after two full weeks off and a few Physio appointments he said i could run again. Felt brutal missing two weeks of the programme. Last week i just did slow runs as ankle is still not 100% but getting better all the time.

Did 5k, 6.5k, 14.5 k and then the Spring Half Marathon on sunday for my LSR and did it in 1.49.16. Felt okay after it and niggle in the ankle came but went.

This week so far i rested on Mon and did 11k on Tuesday and then did 2k swimming last night with build ups and warm downs and then 12 sets of 100 M.

3 weeks on sunday until Conn and have a 20 Mile LSR this weekend, hope to get a good bit of swimming in next two weeks but will once again leave the bike as it was aggravating the ankle.

Onwards and Upwards :D

Thursday - 8 k run done last night at 9 min mile pace.

Friday - Club Swim - 400M WARM UP. 5*200M AND lastly 10*100M. Felt great after but was tough swim.

5 K run tonight also.

• Advertisement

Saturday I spent the day at a Triathlon seminar put on by our Tri club, was a great day and a hell of alot gained from the day. Eamonn Tilly was the fella running the seminar. Lovely guy and really knows his stuff.

Sunday was long run day and last big run before tapering starts. Was a little anxious as wasnt overly happy with how i felt after half marathon last week but all went well and ran 20 miles in about 3.12. Tough aul run in fairness and my longest ever but enjoyed it. Went Clontarf up to Howth Summit, back through Howth, then Baldoyle, up to Donaghmede, back to malahide road at Cadburys and down towards Clonrtarf again.

Have stopped using headphones last few weeks while running and i dont think i'd ever go back to them, much more enjoyable without them.

12-18 March

5k run
    5k run
    10k run
    19k run

Swim - 2 KM - 200 Warm up followed by 17*100 and then 100 cool down

19th - 23rd March
    6.5k run
    6.5k run
    5 k run

Swim
    1.4 - 100 Warm up, 3*400 and 100 cool Down
    and
    2.3 - 200 Warm up, 8*50, 400, 8*50, 400, 8*50 and 100 cool down

Just over a week until my first ever marathon, very excited now and really looking forward to getting stuck in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Best of luck jester. I think it was a wise decision to let the bike go for now. Enjoy the marathon, you have put the work in so relax and enjoy the rewards:)

Thanks Bally, hopefully was the right decision. If i have to give HIM a miss this year so be it, no hurry anyway i suppose :)

Saturday - Took a rest day today

Sunday - My last LSR today of 13.5 km at about 5.30 KM pace. Fantastic day out for it.

One week to go :D

Very little to be done this week, 3 very small runs and one swim planned.

• Advertisement

Shocking timing. I woke up with a really sore throat this morning and its turned into some sort of flu or virus. Shivering all over, no heat in me, nose is like a tap :(, headaches and still a sore throat.

Leaving work now and going home to try and get better, what bad luck.

Been told just to make sure get loads of fluids and Vitamin C.

Well it's probably time i updated this with my Marathon.

The Monday before the marathon started with me getting sick, brutal timing. 3 1/2 days off work and still felt awful when woke up Sat morning which was when we were going to drive down. Felt so bad was just going to skip it but wife changed my mind and decided i had put in too much training not to go. The main problem was trying to eat and keeping the food down.

Anyway race day arrived and felt a little better. Got the bus from Clifden out to the start and felt good waiting around. Race started and off i went. First mile or so went fine but at around 2 miles didnt feel myself at all. 3miles came and i had to pull up and get sick, disaster.

My running time at this stage was completley off, had hoped to hit around 4.10 which i was confident of doing as my LSR's of 20 miles had taken about 3 hours and that was including Howth Hill.

I Wiped the Mouth down and off i went again. At this stage i knew i wasnt going to be getting my times so just tried to enjoy it. Got to mile 10 and sickness struck again and had to get sick again and this time walked for a few mins. After this there was a nice stretch of road out of the sun.

Was able to keep running thankfully and hit the half way point in 2.02. 17 minns slower than originally planned. Onto the first major hill and was able to get up it slowly. Started feeling completley drained at this stage and got a little worried, had been taking Gels but just felt like i was running on empty.

The next 7 miles or so were very hard with alot of stopping and starting. Really struggled here and was hard to keep myself going. Was just quite upsetting knowing i had found running 20 miles previoulsy very handy and was now having a nightmare.

Got to a small town and a few people cheeering gave me a little boost, got sick for my third and final time just before the last big hill. Struggled really badly up this and it seemed to go on forever, felt all the hill training i had done just went out the window. Came in sight of the finish line and with about 200M to go my whole body cramped up, and nearly had to crawl over the line :D Finished in 4.42.53

Was very deprerssed about the whole thing and really did take me a few days to get over the dissapointment of the whole thing.

I am happy enough i finished it but just didnt go according to plan. So onwards and upwards i suppose and on to Triathlon season.

Week of 02nd - 08th April i didnt do a single thing. Was still a little sick until the wednesday.

09th April - 25km Cycle

10th April - Small Brick session of 11km cycle and 4 km run followed by swim fit class which was 1350 M.

11th April - Back run training with the tri club at last as feel like i've lost my pace. 2 km Warmup, Then 5 sets of 2km Followed by 3 mins rest first one, and then 2.30, 2.00, 1.30 etc

12th April - Swim Fit again. 1400 M.

Fri 13th - Sun 15th, busy few days so didnt get anything done.

On to new week and alot planned this week.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Well it's probably time i updated this with my Marathon....

You've completed a marathon and set yourself a time to beat in the future. Don't be too disappointed about that.

Started the week off well last night with my longest cycle in a while. 42 km. No bad effects on the ankle which was great. Completed it in 1.28 which i was delighted with as i'd count myself as a below average cyclist. Feel the improvement is there since last year though which is good.

Goals for this year on the bike would be to hit under 40 mins in my sprints and maybe 1.25 in an Olympic. Would be over the moon with that. 42 mins was my sprint time last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Those times will improve as the season goes on !

Tues - Running
    Just did a 5 k tonight and tried to put a bit of pace into it, my PB for 5 k is 23.20 and ran this is 22.30 which i was thrilled with as struggled to get the legs moving at the start. Would love to Break 22 mins in a 5 k race this year and have a few lined up.

Swimming
    Swim Fit class tonight, 100 M warmup followed by set of 80 Front ant fast pace followed by 40 M leg different leg work, did a few sets of these and ended with 20 M sprints, About 10 of these followed by warm down. Think we roughly did 1400 M.

Wed - Running
    Run training with the Tri club last night and off to a new location with a very long hill. The session has added in an optional extra half hour now for strength and conditioning work.

Warm Up 2 KM Slow Jog

25 Mins strength work

Now came the fun bit of 10 sets of 500 M up hill followed by 500 M downhill recovery. First 3 where at Moderate / Fast Pace followed by 4 sets of Sprint (This killed me), then two sets of Moderate and then 1 last one as a cool down. So 10 KM session.

Ankle is back being a little sore after workouts, ive been icing it every night so hopefully it doesnt stop me training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Tues - Running
    Just did a 5 k tonight and tried to put a bit of pace into it, my PB for 5 k is 23.20 and ran this is 22.30 which i was thrilled with as struggled to get the legs moving at the start. Would love to Break 22 mins in a 5 k race this year and have a few lined up.

Swimming
    Swim Fit class tonight, 100 M warmup followed by set of 80 Front ant fast pace followed by 40 M leg different leg work, did a few sets of these and ended with 20 M sprints, About 10 of these followed by warm down. Think we roughly did 1400 M.

Wed - Running
    Run training with the Tri club last night and off to a new location with a very long hill. The session has added in an optional extra half hour now for strength and conditioning work.

Warm Up 2 KM Slow Jog

25 Mins strength work

Now came the fun bit of 10 sets of 500 M up hill followed by 500 M downhill recovery. First 3 where at Moderate / Fast Pace followed by 4 sets of Sprint (This killed me), then two sets of Moderate and then 1 last one as a cool down. So 10 KM session.

Ankle is back being a little sore after workouts, ive been icing it every night so hopefully it doesnt stop me training.

Great time, i'm at 25:12 but didn't focus on speed at all last year !

Your swimming is coming along as well............

Yeah feel swimming and running are getting slowly better from the Tri training sessions, best thing i've done in relation to all this is joining the club.

I was the exact same as you last year, never did a speed session in my life until this year. Last year was mostly about getting down the weight i suppose and enjoying the introduction to Tri and Running.

Doing this years first Tri in Limerick next week so very excited.

Thursday
    Very busy day in work so only got my swim fit session in tonight. Counted it as 1300 M with a lot of leg work and upper body work.

Friday
    Just did a 27.5 km cycle tonight. Weather has been brutal every time i go out.

Saturday
    Went out on the bike again today with the wifte this time and just doing a short 13.5 km, 1km from home the wife had a nasty fall and banged up her face quite bad and her arms and legs are bruised to bit. Felt awful for her but she's okay now. She has her first Triathlon on Sunday in Limerick so hopefully she'll be fine. Skipped my run Today.

Sunday
    Lazy day on the couch as was hungover. Went to Port Laios to watch Both Dublin matches. Ya feel so much more guilty wasting a day when your training.

• Advertisement

Great Start to the week last night. Went out with a friend who is new to this but a very fit fella and very decent on the bike.

We did 30 km on the bike in a min or two over the hour mark. Went up some hills in Howth which were very tough and then back the coast.

Then straight of the bikes and into a 10.5 km hill run. Did the Hill of Howth and wasn't too bad, havent been running too much since maratrhon but felt okay yesterday. From 7.5km - 9.5 km he started to speed up and i kept with him for the two km which were 4 mins each, whole body just felt like giving up then so told him to go on ahead and finish the 1 km and i took a short cut back at a nice recovery pace which brougt my run to 10km.

Good start to the week though.

I was asked today if i wanted to partake in a charity cycle from Dublin to galway near end of June, distance is 202 km i think.

I'd love to do this but really not sure if i'd be able. They do stop 4 times however and i feel like my cycling is improving all the time.

Said i'd decide by thursday.

Perfect date as 2 weeks after my second Tri and two weeks before the next one.

Ankle was a little sore tonight so decided to skip a run so it was in better condition for run trianing with the Tri club tonight.

With my first Tri of the year coming up on Sunday i said i'd go up to the pool early before my swim fit class and do the 750 M swim to ease any nerves.

Went well and finished in 16.23. Hope to get this closer to 15 mins in Limerick on Sunday.

Few mins stretching before Swim fit. I forgot this is the last week and the coach likes to push us.

4*20 Warm UP 80M

Main set was a straight out 30 min swim and i did 72 lengths so 72*20 = 1440 which i was happy with.

4*20 Cool down.80M

Total for evening = 2,350 M

What an evening yesterday, running got the go ahead with the Tri Club so was up there at 7 and came straight from work, no warm clothes at all.

Not too many turned up so we just did a run in the group around the roads. Big circle up there of 3km so did 3 laps of that and a 1 km warm down.

Glad i went because if i went home there was no hope i was moving from the couch.

Just the swim fit class on Thursday, there was 3 of the 5 of us doing Limerick so we spent a bit of time doing technique and moving of the wall quicker etc befroe doing a bit of a workout.

1000 M

First Tri of the year and second ever Sprint. Headed down on Sat night and got a nice cheap hotel for 42.50 with the wife who was doing the Super Sprint.

Swim - Got to the lane 5 mins before kick off as had been out supporting wife and Brother. Was hoping for 15 mins and ended up going 10th out of 12 in the lane as everyone said they wanted under 15 mins. Started off and was very congested at the start. Had been keeping track of my time and was going ok for 2 mins per 100M. Passed 3 people out in first 500 M. Then things started to slow again as swimmers got tired and i was stuck behind 4 swimmers tiring with a big gap to front two. So after 550 i made a move for it and got past all 4 and was able to finish last few lenths to keep to my pace, checked watch getting out of water and was 14.47 which was my best time since getting back swimming last year. Crossing the mat i clocked 15.40 so that was prob few seconds getting out of pool and about 40 seconds starting 10th.

T1 was very fast and was on the bike after 1.35. Funnily i couldnt get my right foot in the peddle, i say this took me a full 45 seconds and I was scarlet.

Cycle - Had hoped to get under 40mins and when i clocked 24.30 mins to the half way point i was gutted, but luckily didnt realise the course was 24 km again. Felt good on the bike, defo my weakest leg but am working on that. Passed a few people and was passed by a few in turn. Finished this at 49.20 just over 2 min per km.

T2 again was good and decided to save time and not bother putting on socks with my runners so fot through this in 1.22

Run - First 1 km went very well, i was flying but started to get a little tired, have not put in half as much running as needs be since the Marathon. Got a second wind about 3.5 km and finished strong enough in 23.02. Was third time i ran a 5 k in a race, one run and one Tri race and this was my best so far by 30 seconds. Happy enough as was tired.

Finished in 1.31.01 which was good enough for 55th or 56th i think. Was very happy as expected to be much lower than that.

Whoel thing was well organised.

My positions below.

Swim 70th / 206
    TI 32nd / 206
    Bike 79th / 206
    T2 44th / 206
    Run 44th /206

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well done Jester, excellent performance yesterday. That was a great run time.

Thanks Bally, really enjoyed this race, mostly because it was probably the first one i wasn't nervous for :D

Out for a long cycle last night, nice route out to Skerries and then back towards Balbriggan before home to Swords. 3 weeks in a row now cycling on Mondays. Nice day for it. Was windy as hell. 42 KM

Need to up the running again this month as has dipped a bit since the Marathon.

April
    Running - 100 km
    Swimming 9.55 km
    Cycling 213.5 km

YTD
    Running - 589 km
    Swimming - 40.35 km
    Cycling - 347.5 km

• Advertisement

Run - Morning run done for the first time ever i think, only did 4k but knew i had to work late so was better than nothing.

Swim - Swim fit last night, Few sets of 100 and then some technique work on legs and arms followed by few sprints at the end. 1000 M

Advertisement