Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jesters first Marathon & HIM attempt's.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Did this race last year and really liked it and not too far from me so signed up again.

2.7km run - 13 km cycle - 2.7 km run

Went off well in the run and didnt feel too tired, put in an extra bit of speed in last 500 metres to finish 10.46, last years time was 11.56.

Into Transition and was quick here and changed to my bike shoes and off i went, got my shoes clipped in first time yayyyyyyyyy. T1 1.01.

Cycle went well, i always seem to bomb down hill and pass loads of people out going down the Kyber, however diff story going up hill, putting loads of effort in and just seem to be slow. Work needed here :D. Was 3 laps on the bike and finished in 23.05, last years time was 25.54.

Tried to take my feet out of shoes instead of unclipping but worked with one foot and not the other so has all over the shop running in with the bike, this happened in Limerick too. Work needed here too.T 2 - 1 min.

Set off on the last run and started to cramp up a little, 15 second quick stretch and off i went again. A bit slower on time here and finished in 12.09 and last year was 13.11.

So good night all round with a time off 48.04 beating last years 53.09 by 5 mins.

Swim fit class tonight, was exhausted today and in no mood but went anyway.

120 Warm up
    80 Front
    160 - 20 doggy paddle follow by 20 sprint, 4 times
    160 - Left arm only
    160 - Right arm only.
    480 consisting of 4 sets of 120 - Back stroke sprint 40, 80 front stroke gradual pace.
    80 Sprint

1240 M

Swimming

Good swim session with the Tri club this morning, hadnt been in a few weeks so was good to get back.

400 M Warm UP

1000 M time Trial = 20.23

100 M Cool off

9*100 M Solid pace

100 M Cool Down

2500 M

This was my first ever race last year so thought it would be nice to go back to where it began and run my second 5 k race. Last year i completed it in 23.25.

Was hoping for a sub 22, in last weeks Tri i got a run of 23.01 so felt i could beat 22. Went better than expected and i ran a time of 20.31. I can't tell you how happy i was, such a great feeling knocking so much time off my PB.

1st km 4.10
    2nd km 4.00
    3rd km 4.11
    4th km 4.10
    5th km 4.00

Times are very similar for each km. Next target is to break 20 mins i suppose.

This is the best thing that cold have happened to me and a real boost i feel i needed on my running as was slighly turning off it and putting more time into cycling and swimming.

Was hungover to bits on Sunday as went out for liverpool match to town on Sat, promised the wife i'd go for a cycle with her so pathetically managed a 14km spin. No mood for anymore.

Yesterday was even worse, ultimate lazy day. Had planned on doing a long cycle but with weather changing non stop i just wasn't arsed. So that was a brutal two days.

• Advertisement

Running
    Was a little tight on time before swimming so decided to do something different, during work i did out a few maps with exact distacnes for some speed training.

10 * 400 M at 5 k pace so triaed ot jeep around 1.35. Each 400 M was followed by a slow recovery 200M. Went well and sweated like hell.

Swimming
    Swim fit, third class of this term and so far i've found it quite boring, not enough sets. We did roughly 1000 M, hopefully it will imrpove.

Running
    Running with the Tri club last night, was in no mood at all to go and had one of those days in work and really didnt want to be running up hills or doing fartleks. Luckily last night was a Long Run. I thought maybe 10 k but we did 16k in about 1.18. Wasn't too bad and glad i could still do the distance after not doing many long runs lately. Ankle is sore again today as didnt ice it last night and have a bit of a pain in right kneww, could be from 400m work the other night taking corners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

jester1980 wrote: »
    This was my first ever race last year so thought it would be nice to go back to where it began and run my second 5 k race. Last year i completed it in 23.25.

Was hoping for a sub 22, in last weeks Tri i got a run of 23.01 so felt i could beat 22. Went better than expected and i ran a time of 20.31. I can't tell you how happy i was, such a great feeling knocking so much time off my PB.

1st km 4.10
    2nd km 4.00
    3rd km 4.11
    4th km 4.10
    5th km 4.00

Times are very similar for each km. Next target is to break 20 mins i suppose.

This is the best thing that cold have happened to me and a real boost i feel i needed on my running as was slighly turning off it and putting more time into cycling and swimming.

I hate you:D

ha ha Thanks mate.

Back to the land of Normality after 10 days in Lanzarote and then 2 days at a wedding straight after.

Did a bit of training away, couple of runs, 4 sea swims from 800 -1500 M and rented a bike twice for two long cycles. Better than nothing i suppose but drank alot of wine and a good few pints and the food is fantastic over there. :D

Myself and the wife happened to be over there for the Iron man so was great to watch and went out and supported the racers.

Have to start back with a training plan on Monday as signed up for the Lost Sheep HIM. Tomorrow i have the 1500 M in Swim Athy, looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

First time to try this distance in a race or event. Was very nervous before hand, hadn't been this nervous since last year. Went well though, stuck to the bank upstream for the 600 M and then down the middle downstream. Upstream was tough enough in fairness but downstream was great fun.

Finished in a time of 27.26 so well pleased to get under 30 mins.

Started a 15 week programme for the Losp Sheep yesterday, found it on the net so will stick to this as close as possible and change a few things and add more brick sessions in etc.

Swimming
    I think my swimming is going well so just going to stick to what i've done since xmas Which is two 45 min swim fit classes and one hour class with Tri Club, if i've time i'll fit another hour session in the weekend. That should equate to 6 - 7.5 KM

Bike
    This is where i defo need to do my most work, i just need to get out on the bike more. 3 cycles a week planned. A cycle to work is 16km so will do that and then take a different route on way home to go through Howth which will be 40 km. Then one long ride at the weekend and one shorter one which i will use as a brick session.

Run
    Now that i have a set programme i should get a kick up the hole. Brutal at going out on the road unless i have a programme to follow. Have the run session with club once a week, will do another long run, a speed session, a brick session and one slow recovery run.

Thats the plan so hopefully goes to plan. Fingers crossed :D

Long cycle of 56 KM and average pace of 29 KMPH.

Went and found a new route and really enjoyed it as not much traffic lights so i'll defo do this again. Swords - Oldtown - Naul - Balbriggan - Skerries - Rush - Swords. Distance was fine and furthest i've gone. Defo felt i could do more. Route was full of hills too which is good.

Went and did 1.5 km slow jogging after to make sure i could still move the legs. Have a Duathlon On wednesday which ill use as training session and Athy Olympic on Sat.

Good to see you got over 50k !

Run - 10 K run last night at 5.15 pace which was grand, felt a little tired at but thats probably being out of practise on longer runs.

SwimFit
    Decent class last night for the first time in a while.

Warmup - 80M - 40 Fornt and 40 Br stroke

Main Set - 600 M - 5*120 consiting of 80 M sprint and 40 M slow as recovery with 5 seconds rest

40 Metre Sprint while waiting for others to finish.

240 M - 3 Sets of 40 Lef kicks followed by 40 breast Stroke.

160 M - 2 sets of 40 left arm sprint and 40 back followed by 40 right arm sprint and 40 back,

80 Front stroke warm down

1200 M

Thats a good pace, i need to drop another stone to be comfortable at that pace.

Would love to drop a nother stone myself but ive been stuck at my weight last few months. Started a strict plan this weekend which mainly consists of cutting out rubbish like choclate, crisps etc, i'm a fiend for all that.

With the HIM trianing you wil prob see the stone come off in no time.

Would love to drop a nother stone myself but ive been stuck at my weight last few months. Started a strict plan this weekend which mainly consists of cutting out rubbish like choclate, crisps etc, i'm a fiend for all that.

With the HIM trianing you wil prob see the stone come off in no time.

Lets hope so ( for both of us )

Race 2 of the series.

2.7km run - 13 km cycle - 2.7 km run

Went off too fast in the run and hit 1 km about 3.10, struggled the rest of the lap and came in 10.37.

T 1 1.03 - Had a nightmare coming out and trying to clip my shows in, every time im racing i seem to have trouble here but when cycling its simple, must be the pressure :D

Felt that was one of my best ever cycles and thought i flew around but time was 23.25 which was 20 seconds down on the last race. It probably took me that time to clip shoes in but still thought i was faster.

T 2 - 1.06 min.

Last run was bad, cramped up in my thights and had to stretch it out for a few seconds as was affecting my running. got into a slow stride and finished 12.42 which was 35 seconds longer than earlier in month.

Total time was 48.55 and earlier in month was 48.04. Cant be too disspaointed as only back from 2 weeks holiday where i ate like a pig and drank like a fish.

All in all was a good trianing session before Saturdays Olympic in Athy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Went off too fast in the run and hit 1 km about 3.10, struggled the rest of the lap and came in 10.37.

3.10 :eek: You must be watching to much ITU racing

Good running all the same, |I wouldn't worry too much about the time on the bike, too many vagaries with wind to be anyway accurate with it, if it felt better it probably was better!

• Advertisement

This was my first Olympic Tri and the nerves were in bits, settled down once i met a few of my friends down there. Plan was to try and hit somewhere between 2.50 - 2.55.

Swim - Had swam the week before and completed it in 27.35 so was hoping for anything around this. Was in the wave with Jenson Bitton and he was right on front off me. Had planned on sticking to the side upstream and then thake the middle going down stream. Did really go according to plan and got a few slaps and kicks in first 10 mins. Down stream was a bit smoother and finished in 28.45, a little dissapointed but not far off last week.

T1 - Went well to start but then i couldnt get my number belt attached, this is after me ignoring so many peoples advise to stick it on under the wetsuit. Ill try that next time as dthis took at least 30 seconds. 1.53

Bike - My plan was to keep as close to 30 kmph as possible. Had heard it wasnt a bad course so anywhere around 1.25 would have been good for me. Got awful pains in my ankle and knee about 10 k in which was bad and started thinking to myself this is the last olympic ill do HA HA. Pain subsided after few mins though and got going into a nice rythem. Finished in 1.19.16 which i was over the moon with as cycling is really my weak point but i do feel like i'm improving slowly.

T2 - A bit faster here and made a quick call not to bother with socks. This was probably silly as feet were a little sore after race but are much better today 1.33

Run - First time for everything and that was no cramping up at all. Was going nicely and making each km in 5 mins. Went a little faster on second half and was able to get a good 2 last km in and had a good sprint finish with another lad from about 400 m out which helped get a 4 min km and a time of 48.16.

Total time was 2.39.44 which i'm delighted with, think place was 265 th which is decent for my first one. Love the Olympic distance now and looking at signing up for my next one.

New week and week 2 of my programme

Cycling - Cycled into work yesterday morning from Swords hungover to bits after pints for the Dublin match. Distance was 19km and cycled back to Donabate as my car was there which was 23km so 42 km clocked up.

Well last week went well but no point in updating my log, ill take you straight to Sunday. Went off on a 65 km cycle and went great, was 49 km through when disatster struck. Having come down Howth Hill i was cycling towards Sutton on my way home when a parked car opened the driver door and caught me square in the shoulder. Nice hole there and i assume i went over the handle bars and landed on my head as i was knocked out cold.

Dont really rememeber much of the next hour and 1/2. Was told loads of people around and kept me from moving as looked like a neck injury. Ambulance arrived and the lads driving later told me i was begging for drugs as was complaining about pain.

So got to hospital and was given xrays and brain scan, luckily no bad damage just a concussion, a cracked rib, and a hole where the door caught me which has been stictched up. Was 12 hours in hospaital and luckily they let me out that night as long as i had supervision. So sitting at home two days later and body is black and blue, sore all over and keep getting dizzy spells every time i move, have to go back to hospital on friday for further check ups.

Im not sure how this leaves my Tri season as will be difficult swimming without tearing stitches.

Could have been worse though and helemt is banged up badly and doctor siad probably saved my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Good to hear you are ok :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Wow. So glad you are in one piece and upright. Thank god for helmets - and did you have ID on you?? Take care of yourself.

Police rang me today and said i was able to give him some details from the back of the ambulance but I dont recall any of that. Once i got to hospital i did get a load of Morphine though :D

He said the woman wanted my number to ring and apologise and to check on me too. The helmet really did save me, the thing is smashed to bits so was blessed really. Could have been my skull without my helmet.

Police rang me today and said i was able to give him some details from the back of the ambulance but I dont recall any of that. Once i got to hospital i did get a load of Morphine though :D

He said the woman wanted my number to ring and apologise and to check on me too. The helmet really did save me, the thing is smashed to bits so was blessed really. Could have been my skull without my helmet.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaasty,

I hope the women will be at least replacing the helmet !

Oh and good to hear your on the mend.

In an awful lot of pain today :(

Pain has moved from the ribs back to where the cut is and where muscle is damaged, still taking alot of pain killers but today was worst day to date. Back to the hospital tomorrow for more tests and a check up so hopefully get a few things sorted and cleared up.

In an awful lot of pain today :(

Pain has moved from the ribs back to where the cut is and where muscle is damaged, still taking alot of pain killers but today was worst day to date. Back to the hospital tomorrow for more tests and a check up so hopefully get a few things sorted and cleared up.

All i can say is.................ah $hite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Ah sh1te Jester that's awful. Hope your recovery is a swift one. Total bad luck.

Advertisement