Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i phone repair - Warning (GSM Centre)

Options
  • 04-01-2012 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

I have these big ass tiles in my kitchen and anything that falls on them instantly dies. Seriously. I don't even like carrying my child out there.

Anyway, I left my iphone 4 drop there last year and smashed the glass. Went to the phone repair place in John Roberts Square. (Is it the GSM centre?) They put a new glass cover on it and I was happy enough.

Until i dropped it again :o

My home button was also giving me jip so it was a bigger job needed. I was advised to ring a fella who works out of his house (number available via PM by request). As soon as he got the phone he rang me on another number to ask where I had previously got it replaced. He told me they left shards of glass, loose screws in there as well as smashing two of my wifi receiver bars by just jamming the glass on there. He fixed all their shoddy work, fixed my home button, replaced the broken screen (with superior glass, not the cheap stuff the others used) and he charged me €20 less.

Stay away from these guys.

You've been warned :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Jaysus that's fairly bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I brought my phone in there (gsm) to be fixed before Xmas and was told they could do it, so went in next day - low and behold it wasn't done and I was told I'd have to order another part. Went home and loads of stuff not working on the phone. Went in the next day and they fixed the stuff not working. Still waiting on them and I have to keep ringing to find out if the part arrived.

They are so bad I can't even explain it. Like is it so bloody hard to ring a person and say sorry we can't fix your phone. There so ****in rude too.

By the way you should change the thread name to gsm warning as it gives the wrong idea. That I phone repair fella is very good going mad I just didn't pay the extra and get him to fix my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I went in there before Christmas, as the lock button on the i phone isn't working. Firstly, the guy didn't know which button was broke, and when I asked him how much to fix it, he mumbled, €40. I wasn't impressed that he'd very obviously made up a price. Didn't bother going back to get it fixed. Just learned to live with the broken button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

michellie wrote: »
    I brought my phone in there (gsm) to be fixed before Xmas and was told they could do it, so went in next day - low and behold it wasn't done and I was told I'd have to order another part. Went home and loads of stuff not working on the phone. Went in the next day and they fixed the stuff not working. Still waiting on them and I have to keep ringing to find out if the part arrived.

They are so bad I can't even explain it. Like is it so bloody hard to ring a person and say sorry we can't fix your phone. There so ****in rude too.

By the way you should change the thread name to gsm warning as it gives the wrong idea. That I phone repair fella is very good going mad I just didn't pay the extra and get him to fix my phone.

Thanks - added extra detail to thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Where exactly is this place? I'm thinking of a place directly opposite supermacs going up some stairs. Is this the place or am I thinking of somewhere else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭decies

yes opposite sam maculeys. I had mine repaired from bloke working from home as described by OP , nice chap no drama and no delays.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There is a risk here that the "opposition" could be simply misleading you. I cant imagine a crowd who are renting out a unit in a city center being that bad at their job. Who knows tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Sully wrote: »
    There is a risk here that the "opposition" could be simply misleading you. I cant imagine a crowd who are renting out a unit in a city center being that bad at their job. Who knows tho
    that's what they want you to think. ;) hitler had big buildings and he turned out to be a right cowboy

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

decies wrote: »
    yes opposite sam maculeys. I had mine repaired from bloke working from home as described by OP , nice chap no drama and no delays.

Ah yes that's the place I was thinking of! Thanks:)

Sully wrote: »

He took pictures of everything he was doing along the way. Showed me everything the lads had done. This is just a lad at home making a go of it. No reason to be resorting to those tactics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

Ah, good old GSM. I've had my problems with them in the past, won't go into the nitty gritty details as I will only get worked up, but it involved my phone never working again and a "couldn't give a poo" attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭shanemul

I have to admit they are a bunch of cowboys, brought a phone in to them to get unlock. said it would take an hour and to come back. Came back after the hour and still not done. Told to wait another hour so I did and still not done in the end I told em I wasn't leaving til it was done so in 5 mins they had it done, to make matters worse I had a 4gb memory card in the phone when I went to put in the new sim card I noticed it was missing and asked did they remove it? The person blatantly said it wasn't touched. I they threatened to call the Gardai if they didn't return it low n behold it magically appeared on their desk behind the counter and the Gardai were mentioned. Stay well away from them

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

how much did it cost to repair the screen? need to get mine done soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

paul-2008 wrote: »
    how much did it cost to repair the screen? need to get mine done soon enough

Depends on if its a 3gs or a 4.

PM sent with details.

We send all of our out of warranty repairs in work through him. Quick turn around and well priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

shanemul wrote: »
    I have to admit they are a bunch of cowboys, brought a phone in to them to get unlock. said it would take an hour and to come back. Came back after the hour and still not done. Told to wait another hour so I did and still not done in the end I told em I wasn't leaving til it was done so in 5 mins they had it done, to make matters worse I had a 4gb memory card in the phone when I went to put in the new sim card I noticed it was missing and asked did they remove it? The person blatantly said it wasn't touched. I they threatened to call the Gardai if they didn't return it low n behold it magically appeared on their desk behind the counter and the Gardai were mentioned. Stay well away from them

its quicker and cheaper to get a fone unlocked online,i likes ebay for mine cheap and cheerfull most of the time for unlock codes that a network provider wont provide

Kxiii wrote: »
    Depends on if its a 3gs or a 4.

PM sent with details.

We send all of our out of warranty repairs in work through him. Quick turn around and well priced.

its a 4! Received no PM though

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

paul-2008 wrote: »
    its a 4! Received no PM though

I think its around €70 for the 4

Kxiii wrote: »
    I think its around €70 for the 4

ok, thanks! got the PM too! thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ameliasmum

First time posting on here and can't find the PM Abouttobebanned. Can you PM me that guys number please? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

seanybiker wrote: »
    that's what they want you to think. ;) hitler had big buildings and he turned out to be a right cowboy

Seany : Waterford's answer to Shakespeare :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

ameliasmum wrote: »
    First time posting on here and can't find the PM Abouttobebanned. Can you PM me that guys number please? Thanks

Welcome to Boards..

Hit Abouttobebanned's name on the left of his posts and you will get a drop down menu and you can pm him from there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ameliasmum

Thanks funfair

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

My experience with the GSM Centre has largely been positive. They fixed a phone for me that 3 wouldn't touch because it was water damaged and it worked fine afterwards... until I smashed the screen a short time later. They're not professionals by any stretch of the imagination though. Whenever I was in there, I always got the impression that I was interrupting friends hanging out and having a laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

AdMMM wrote: »
    My experience with the GSM Centre has largely been positive. They fixed a phone for me that 3 wouldn't touch because it was water damaged and it worked fine afterwards... until I smashed the screen a short time later. They're not professionals by any stretch of the imagination though. Whenever I was in there, I always got the impression that I was interrupting friends hanging out and having a laugh.

^^^Same here, myself and my gf were made to feel like we'd walked in on a get-together and spoiled the atmosphere of the place. I wouldn't have too much good to say about them tbh

AdMMM wrote: »

Adam I thought they did a good job with my phone too until I was shown the truth. I gave ya the number of who to call today, you'd be silly to got to the GSM centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Adam I thought they did a good job with my phone too until I was shown the truth. I gave ya the number of who to call today, you'd be silly to got to the GSM centre.
    I'm dropping my phone up to him tomorrow so will report back, hopefully with a good review!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭daaave

is this guy based around the upper grange/ardkeen general area?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭daaave

i've used him a couple of times-2 broken screens and a faulty silent button on the iphone 3gs-usually drop phone to him before i go off to play soccer in town for an hour and phone would be ready by the time i go back out.
    excellent service from a sound guy.
    he also has a facebook page for those interested

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The same guy I tried to repair my iPod without getting replies to my emails?! :p

Advertisement