Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A mouse in the car - Need advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

tricky D wrote: »
    A tell-tale sign for mice is droppings which look like and are a similar size to black basmati rice and are hazardous to your health.

really:eek:
    are you sure you boiled them first?

allprops wrote: »
    The glue traps are the business. While we were waiting for our house to be built we lived in a cottage. Caught 27 of the feckers in a week. I used to leave the dead ones around so their family knew what was waiting for them! I got them in the local ould mangy hardware store(woodies).

pretty sure they are banned with a few years now.\i had one in the attic a few years back and when i went to check it in the morning you could see where the mouse first enterd the trap and fell/rolled/tumbled and pulled his way across length of the glue trap. judging by the state of the trap i would say by the time he got out the other side he hadn't a rib of hair left on him:D, but he did manage to pull himself free:eek:, i would say he was fair sore for a while after that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Big Lar

sponge_bob wrote: »
    i would say by the time he got out the other side he hadn't a rib of hair left on him:D, but he did manage to pull himself free:eek:, i would say he was fair sore for a while after that:D

Waxed :eek:

I had one of them glue traps wance behind the dishwasher and forgot about it, when I pulled out the disherwasher last year there was a skeleton on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Big Lar wrote: »
    Waxed :eek:

I had one of them glue traps wance behind the dishwasher and forgot about it, when I pulled out the disherwasher last year there was a skeleton on it.

You didn't smell it? You need your nose examined. Maybe more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

unkel wrote: »

I was complaining about a bad smell in my seat in the living room. I was convinced it was a dead mouse but no one else got the odour. I tore the place apart a few times, nothing found.

A little later I'm so desperate that I start to rip my seat apart ~ yes, a big head mouse ~ they all smelt it then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Use the poison. The risk of the mouse staying in the car and dying is minimal, they dehydrate, leave the car (looking for water) and die.

Your heart will be broken with the traps.

unkel wrote: »

With a regular dose of a few of these baby's and some egg & onion sandwiches there does be always be funny smells in our house. ;)

05_01_2012_16_12_59.jpg

Noopti wrote: »
    Use the poison. The risk of the mouse staying in the car and dying is minimal, they dehydrate, leave the car (looking for water) and die.

You can be sure that he will die in the car, they say that they must drink water every day, so whay hasnt he left for that ?
    surely he is getting water in the car itself, round the engine compartment or something

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Noopti wrote: »

Your heart will be broken with the traps.

It genuinely won't, you'll be come obsessed with successfully trapping the fooker and think you're the greatest hunter in the world once you get him :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Peanut butter or chocolate spread are the best bait to use on a trap,they can't chew or the drag the bait away,they have to lick it,which generally sets the trap off and crushes the little blighters necks!

Ultra sonic deterrent things don't work a damn,we used to have a terrible mice problem here so we got a few of them and they didn't make a blind bit of difference.

I'd only use poison as a last resort,because you always run the risk of the rodent dying somewhere unaccessable,thus having to live with an almighty stench for two or three weeks.

If one of your neighbours has a cat it would be no harm leaving it in the car for 10-15 mins and seeing what it does,the smell of a cat is sometimes enough to force rodents out of their homes.

Good luck!

• Advertisement

Tabnabs wrote: »
    It genuinely won't, you'll be come obsessed with successfully trapping the fooker and think you're the greatest hunter in the world once you get him :pac:

Thats it, I am saying to myself "This must be how Bear Grylls feels every day"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

AC Inverter + one of those high frequency rodent repellents in the lighter socket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

dgt wrote: »
    Are these legal in this side of the world?

Mouse-Glue-Traps-HPS1018-.jpg
    Those are available in my corner shop.

Disposal is via the fire. Chuck the whole trap in to the fires of hell.

Tabnabs wrote: »

maybe... but he still ain't no Clint Eastwood

white_hunter_500.jpg

yeah but that's in Havana,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Oh, Jesus, I'm shaking here thinking of a mouse being the car. My car used to be immaculate until I let my 1 year old in. She often loses her bottle like the one shown here. I'm putting my cat in the car for 20 mins tomorrow and getting it valeted. I always swore I'd never give liga to a baby in the car, but of course you'd do anything for a quite life.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,915 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Fukcin hell, third world style waste disposal is so common here? That family in the west died just before Christmas of carbon monoxide poisoning caused by the father having thrown an empty crisp bag onto the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Isn't the mouse generally alive? Not sure I could lob a poor mouse into a fire....... And Im a pretty sick puppy at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭captainwang

Burn him out...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

wmpdd3 why are you getting your cat valeted !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

MugMugs wrote: »
    Isn't the mouse generally alive? Not sure I could lob a poor mouse into a fire....... And Im a pretty sick puppy at the best of times.
    90% of the time the mouse will be alive. Check your traps twice a day.

MugMugs wrote: »

You could tap him on the back of the head with a poker as a general anesthetic first.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The glue traps are the best but have been banned for more than 5 years as they are considered inhumane. I'm all for animal's rights but if I'd a mouse in my car or house I couldn't care less how he was removed/killed/burnt, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Find a cat, stick it in the car and the mouse won't be long running, you could probably put one in the yard and the cat will still sniff the mouse out. Pretty sure the mouse will leg it at any sign of a cat.

Do you have any relatives or neighbours that will let you borrow their cat?:pac:

JokerD wrote: »
    Find a cat, stick it in the car and the mouse won't be long running, you could probably put one in the yard and the cat will still sniff the mouse out. Pretty sure the mouse will leg it at any sign of a cat.

Do you have any relatives or neighbours that will let you borrow their cat?:pac:

No haven't seen any pussy round here in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Cats mark new areas,have you ever smelled cats pee in a confined area,give me a decomposing mouse any day :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Blast them!
    http://www.rodentblaster.com/packages.html

Warning: Damage to vehicle may be terminal

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

JokerD wrote: »

Big Lar wrote: »
    No haven't seen any pussy round here in ages.
    moonshadow wrote: »
    Cats mark new areas,have you ever smelled cats pee in a confined area,give me a decomposing mouse any day :cool:

I'll come down and spend the night in the car for you and for a good breakfast I'll p1ss all over the gaff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

it seems this little fecker is playing games with you, laughing at your pathetic attempts at catching and killing him/her,its only a matter of time before serious damage is done to the wiring in your car.

drastic measures need to be taken.

smoke/burn/high pitched noises/cheese/peanut butter/pate/liga..none of the above will eliminate the rodent,you have but one option,your car may never feel the same again afterwards but there is only one way..

play a jedward cd on loop in the car... inhumane,but lethal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭shefra

aha, I had the same problem, except I thought it had to be a rat with all that was eaten in the car. SOLUTION the traps are no good, I learnt the slow way. Get a rat cage, the guy in the shop said the mouse would squeeze thro the bars, I did'nt care so I put a rasher on the spike, nothing happened for days. I knew the 'thing' like peanut putter cos it ate off the mouse traps, so i dolloped the peanut putter on top of the rasher. Sure enough the next morning I saw these adorable eyes looking at me thro the bars. I had to let it go despite all the hassle. Good luck with it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement