Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A mouse in the car - Need advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Please don't leave a lit candle in your car alone. All sorts of madness can happen. The mouse will sniff out the bait.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

MugMugs wrote: »
    Please don't leave a lit candle in your car alone. All sorts of madness can happen.

Very good advice......

/you don't want them summoning demons......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Big Lar

MugMugs wrote: »
    Please don't leave a lit candle in your car alone. All sorts of madness can happen. The mouse will sniff out the bait.
    The mouse will indeed sniff out the bait, the purpose of the candle is to make the mouse more relaxed so that he will eat without thinking ;-)

Gotta be one step ahead of these little feckers, so you see the candle has to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Very good advice......

/you don't want them summoning demons......

Or toasting the crums + cheese therefore making a delicious sambo :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

Big Lar wrote: »
    The mouse will indeed sniff out the bait, the purpose of the candle is to make the mouse more relaxed so that he will eat without thinking ;-)

Gotta be one step ahead of these little feckers, so you see the candle has to stay.

The mouse will probably torch the car now as revenge for you trying to end it's life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Peppermint aero is another great one for getting them.
    The mint smell attacts them and they love chocolate.
    Uncles filling station used to get one the odd time and the feckers always bypassed every other bar to get to the aero bars.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ill lend you a python to leave in the car overnight--that`ll stop the fecker and my snake will get a free meal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

How was the mouses' romantic meal then?? :)

Traps empty............... I'm feckin disgusted.

Rasher & paté, shur I'd go for that myself and the the calming candle down on top of it..... I just cannot believe that he diddnt go for it :confused:

Traps empty............... I'm feckin disgusted.

Rasher & paté, shur I'd go for that myself and the the calming candle down on top of it..... I just cannot believe that he diddnt go for it :confused:

Unless..........unless............... he is wan of them fecking vegeterian's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Joe 90

R.O.R wrote: »
    Has it been de-catted? If so, there's you problem....
    I had that thought too.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I'd say you'll need a few of those traps tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Joe 90

As someone said above, those ultrasound thingies do seem to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Unless..........unless............... he is wan of them fecking vegeterian's

Off to get some Quorn for you then.

Maybe a bigger candle too, them tea lights don't last long ya know.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

You need the trap to be ultra sensitive, I found that I had to snip off any excess on the wire bar that holds the trigger in place. I had a ninja mouse take the bait out of traps for several nights running until I amended the trap and put a small elastic band around the bait (a nut) to secure it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Tabnabs wrote: »
    and put a small elastic band around the bait (a nut) to secure it.

Yes, good tip there too. In fact for a new infestation I will place loose bait on the trap for a few nights, then bring in the elastic band ~ result.

O.M.G. I just cannot believe this, I checked the traps this morning and nuthing, checked them there again about a half hour ago and the bait was moved on one and eaten on another one.

Its the straight spike on the trap, for gods sake do they put any thought inot making these things.

2012_01_05_1206571.jpg

I have bent the spike on the trap and as Tabnabs has suggested above I have tied the food to the spike with thread with thread and greased up the trigger mechanism with a bit of butter.

2012_01_05_1210271.jpg

Todays Menu:
    Sausage
    Paté
    Butter (Left over from the greasing)
    Knowing my fooking luck he will probably floss with the thread after eating the bait frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 64,926 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Tabnabs wrote: »
    You need the trap to be ultra sensitive

+1

On very sensitive traps I use a bit of peanut butter (the best). On not so sensitive traps I use a bit of a bacon bit stuck on with superglue :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

this is the funniest thread i have seen in ages, pate, romantic candles, are you sure you are not having an affair with the mouse :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

OP, I fear you may be rushing into things here. Given the technological superiority of mankind over other mammals and the inevitability of the eventual demise of this mouse when this technological advantage is utilised, have you given any thought to the stressful and often neglected area of funeral arrangements? A yoghurt pot coffin? Lite or Full Fat? Family members and a few close friends? A private plot at the end of the garden? A tasteful epitaph on a Post-It? Or, (shudder) an unmarked and ignominious disposal into the brown bin?
    Have you considered any more conciliatory alternatives, one of which, to be honest, my wife rejected when faced with a similarly prolonged visitation some years ago, but still appeals to me. Would you not consider an open and frank discussion with the mouse, with particular attention to the lavatorial arrangements within your vehicle? Because the volume of such….matter is so small, this summit meeting isn’t even urgent!
    Advantages of this approach include but are not limited to: the mouse will not interfere with your driving; will not contribute a negative impact on your fuel economy; appears to be quite happy in your car and may, in good time, settle down and raise it’s own family. The mouse (tenant) gets a warm, dry abode, unlimited travel opportunities, access to dead human skin; free entertainment from your sound system, etc. Who knows? If your car was ever stolen, the mouse could assist the guards in their enquiries!
    Perhaps a “room-mate” agreement similar to Sheldon’s and Leonard’s. “No chewing of cables; ablutions only in the boot; no camping under the driver’s pedals; no exploring up skirts or trouser legs, etc.
    As stated above, my wife opted for the popular but more primitive solution. Oh, how many hours I’ve tossed and turned in bed considering what might have been! Are you ready for this endless “what if” or will you give this Buddhist angle a chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

dharn wrote: »
    this is the funniest thread i have seen in ages, pate, romantic candles, are you sure you are not having an affair with the mouse :D

+1 to this

Also, the mouse is playing hard to get :D

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭SilverBell

unkel wrote: »
    +1

On very sensitive traps I use a bit of peanut butter (the best). On not so sensitive traps I use a bit of a bacon bit stuck on with superglue :eek:

Good idea on the superglue.:D

Another one is bacon rind (cooked or raw) interleaved with cling film, so the poor mouse has to tug for his final meal. use strips of cling film to wrap it to the trap lever. Leave bits of bacon rind poking out.

BrensBenz wrote: »
    OP, I fear you may be rushing into things here........and he went on................and on...................and then some........

There more than likely is more than one mouse in the car, a week or so ago the dogs nabbed one from under the car as I was backing out, so I am guessing that that was the initial move family move in.

Have no doubt about it but I feel a bond between myself and the little critter over these last few days and indeed a great sadness will come over me when finally he is no more, but I reckon that the feeling of happiness that I will get from killing the little bastard will soon cheer me up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Knowing my fooking luck he will probably floss with the thread after eating the bait

187274.jpg:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

Are these legal in this side of the world?

Mouse-Glue-Traps-HPS1018-.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 64,926 ✭✭✭✭unkel

dgt wrote: »
    Are these legal in this side of the world?

I should think not. Killing vermin by quickly breaking their neck is one thing, letting them die slowly over several days of stress / dehydration is something else completely.

Gary ITR wrote: »
    No it's a mouse

I've just spat tea on my keyboard :pac:
    Thanks for the lol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20 clancywigam

I found the best bait to be peanut butter. Smear it on a piece of cotton wool and then tie the cotton wool onto the bait holder with a piece of thread. Mice are attracted to smells so they will come looking for the peanut butter but they will have to tug at the cotton wool to try to bring some back to babies etc. This usually results in them setting off the trap.

Also, mice have very poor eyesight and usually move along the edge of surfaces like walls and doors so put the trap up against something with the bait on the inside.

Also move the trap around each night. They quickly learn where a trap is located and can avoid it if they think its dangerous so keep changing its location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

unkel wrote: »
    I should think not. Killing vermin by quickly breaking their neck is one thing, letting them die slowly over several days of stress / dehydration is something else completely.

Thats what I was tinking, I never see them for sale in the shops.

A friend of mine has killed many mice with:

31FiFLCODdL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

In his house. I don't know how stupid the mice are to run around infront of him :pac:

A totally impractical but effective solution:

shotgun.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭allprops

The glue traps are the business. While we were waiting for our house to be built we lived in a cottage. Caught 27 of the feckers in a week. I used to leave the dead ones around so their family knew what was waiting for them! I got them in the local ould mangy hardware store(woodies).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement