Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A mouse in the car - Need advice

Options
  • 04-01-2012 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

So the wife turns on the air heater the other day and a ball of fuff comes out, kinda like tis snowing in the car but its not the end of the world as the heater works so no harm there.

Bag of dog nuts left in the boot for the last two days, there is a fecking hiole after being chewed in it.

Obviously a rodent, need advice before the fecker starts chewing wires

Comments

Mouse traps in the boot and on the seats at night, lots of them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Has it been de-catted? If so, there's you problem....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,282 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Big Lar wrote: »
    So the wife turns on the air heater the other day and a ball of fuff comes out, kinda like tis snowing in the car but its not the end of the world as the heater works so no harm there.

Bag of dog nuts left in the boot for the last two days, there is a fecking hiole after being chewed in it.

Obviously a rodent, need advice before the fecker starts chewing wires
    Maybe stick one of those high frequency pest repellers in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Wetbench4

Waiting for the octavia boot jokes:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

MOusetrap witha dollop of sticky peanut butter in the footwells will get him for ya. Might take him a night or two but he'll get hungry and come down for a bite.. Let just hope though its not a rat... I have seen first hand the damage them fe ckers can cause and its not good..

Oh and dont leave any food in the car anywhere.That means hoovering up any crumbs or anything food related in the car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Does she use the heater on that setting regularly? The fluff may not be related to a mouse at the dog food bag.

I've often been in cars where the fans are always set to blow on the windscreen and if you change them to blow at your face you get lots of dust and stuff blown out.

However if you even think you have a mouse in the car, get as many traps in there as you can as a mouse can near on write off a car by chewing wires.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Ill give it a clean out after lunch, with three kids there is probably enough to keep a mouse going for a year.
    Will stick in a few traps later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Kids + crums. That mouse must be in heaven with the amount of food about haha

Deffo a mouse, Look what he done to the youngfella's bottle, as if eating the nipple wasnt bad enough he also s**t in the bottle. What kinda of a sick yolk would do that ???

P1010945_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

R.O.R wrote: »
    Has it been de-catted? If so, there's you problem....

Just face palmed on the bus. Lol though

Op clear the car of all foodstuffs and give it a good Hoover then set some traps. Don't forget about them though, the missus could be looking for something and end up with a hand in the mousetrap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

From the pic of that bottle, looks like more than one or a rat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

How did the mouse get into the car?

Either leave down some traps

Or get a cat :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

From the pic of that bottle, looks like more than one or a rat

Could be either. Mice often come in numbers. A tell-tale sign for mice is droppings which look like and are a similar size to black basmati rice. These and the trails of urine are hazardous to your health.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Urgh. I've the wife's car booked in for a valet this week. It's manky, and that picture just makes it worse!

(I would hoover it myself, but I got a gift voucher for a valet!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Is it a Panda?

Hammertime wrote: »
    Is it a Panda?

No it's a mouse

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Some traps in the footwells overnight as suggested.

From the state of the bottle, this guy is already weaned, he also seems to have issues with parent figures, shitting in the bottle is a dead giveaway there.

One thing you don't want to do with an adolescent punk rat.....

Don't leave the keys in the car........:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If the traps don't work and he's still around, I've seen people go Bear Grylls on a mouse/rat on small boats and smoke them out with a smoke flare. Find an empty car park and have the camera with you, it looks spectacular (but isn't dangerous, no heat etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

You could also put down some small blocks of poison. You can get the Rentokill ones in Woodies/B&Q etc. They (there is probably more than one) will eat it, leave the car, and die.

There is the small risk they will die in the car, which is not good. Try the traps first, but if they don't work then I would go for the poison.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

Is it a Minny ?

Noopti wrote: »
    You could also put down some small blocks of poison. You can get the Rentokill ones in Woodies/B&Q etc. They (there is probably more than one) will eat it, leave the car, and die.

There is the small risk they will die in the car, which is not good. Try the traps first, but if they don't work then I would go for the poison.

That Rentokil stuff is awesome and they usually go outside to die but I wouldn't use it if there are ever pets or children in the car. I know the chances of a child swallowing a piece is remote but it's still possible

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Gary ITR wrote: »
    That Rentokil stuff is awesome and they usually go outside to die but I wouldn't use it if there are ever pets or children in the car. I know the chances of a child swallowing a piece is remote but it's still possible

Oh yeah, very good point. Put the poison in place that are hard to reach and/or only place it in the car overnight when not being used and remove it again in the morning perhaps.

Also if the mice are eating it there will be crumbs of the stuff around it, be sure to hover all that up!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 adales

I had this problem previously, car was in storage under cover and mouse destroyed the driver seat, obviously some scent of food about. Tried traps and didnt work, as damage continued so used poison in the end, a brand called Storm. I believe it makes them dehydrated and seak out water, therefore hopefully leaving your car

OK the car is cleaned out and the traps are set, for the bait I went with rasher smeared with paté and I have placed a trap in each footwell, Also I have placed a lighted candle beside each trap in an effort to fool the mouse into thinking that its a romantic engagement, this I hope will lul him into a false sense of security.

Will post up results in the morning

2012_01_04_1634281.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Big Lar wrote: »
    What kinda of a sick yolk would do that ???

There is a scientific name for this, basically many rodents are p**ing and s***ing constantly and totally incontinent.

Park by a lonely beach, used 3 ounces of Semtex and a 15 minute fuse, light, withdraw to a safe distance, claim the car got stuck in the sand the tide came in an swept it away. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Noopti wrote: »

I would advise against it, the mouse could crawl somewhere impossible to reach to die (heater system springs to mind) and the stink would be unmerciful, plus you might have to dismantle half the car to get at it.
    We once poisoned a rat in our kitchen ,the fecker died behind the build in kitchen unit to die, no way to get at him without a chainsaw, so we had to put up with unbelievable stench for a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Gary ITR wrote: »
    Hammertime wrote: »
    Is it a Panda?

No it's a mouse

Whooooosh

• Advertisement

For those who know the run of the rodent used several traps placed randomly without bait.

The trick is the mouse is only so intelligent and he'll jump over the first trap on his run, with luck he'll fall blindly on another random trap set nearby. You don't bait these traps as this will reveal their position to the rodent.

This should be immediately successful and you should have a dead rodent daily until they are all gone. However, do note that if the mouse discovers the other traps he will skilfully avoid them, thus the surprise element is lost on this family for ever.

So I'd place one trap, baited or not for a few nights and then place another six or seven in random formation ~ you see it in TV ads and cartoons a lot, but in real life the joke is on the mouse. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement