Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C64 30 Year Anniversary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I quite liked Robocop 2. Think I completed it as well.

I'd imagine it's horrible to go back to now.

Kind of crazy that they made Robocop into a wacky platformer, it feels like you're raiding Wily Wonker's chocolate factory. And they made in way that Robocop handle exactly the way you'd imagine he would if he was leaping about the place on moving platforms. The inertia was crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

DinoRex wrote: »
    I quite liked Robocop 2. Think I completed it as well.

I'd imagine it's horrible to go back to now.

Kind of crazy that they made Robocop into a wacky platformer, it feels like you're raiding Wily Wonker's chocolate factory. And they made in way that Robocop handle exactly the way you'd imagine he would if he was leaping about the place on moving platforms. The inertia was crazy.

I had a demo of it on tape iirc, brilliant in its day

Being on cartridge meant I couldn't even use my trusty Action Replay:

Looking at that now I'm remembering a lot of tears of frustration that were shed back in the day. How cheap is it the way they make you fight the Robocop 2 three times at the end?

Haha... and also you can never get 100% because their counter doesn't do triple digits.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,667 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ah, I see it has a scaled back version of the same title screen as the NES one -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I remember when I played my Robocop 2 cart, the part that annoyed the pants off of me ALL THE TIME, was that blasted level where Robocop is on those icy platforms. The game is virtually unplayable because of it.

I never did clear that game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Reminds me of the conversion of Rastan Saga - possiblly had the most stupid collision detection ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Never put up what games i liked....

Blue max cos it was fun and it didn't take long to load on the counter, 022 or something.
    blue_max.gif

Shinobi cos it was awesome, not as good as the arcade but still love it, damn blue ninjas.
    shinobi.gif

Rainbow islands, it was tough when your rainbow went and you fell all the way back down.
    rainbow_islands.gif

Leaderboard Golf, very like Tiger woods is now :O it finally caught up on this.
    Only game i could play with my dad really, get the snap right on.
    leaderboard.gif

Bubble Bobble, Defo favourite game, once was stuck in a 2 player game and was too busy to go bury the family dog that died, sorry "Prince".
    bubble_bobble.gif

Last Ninja II, loved it, was hard as nails at the time, youth of today wouldnt stand a chance.
    last_ninja_2.gif

New Zealand story, liked this more than Rainbow Islands, no warps though like the arcade version.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7ZF5boANOPMTmCIRDs4_Rp_cv2LLDRpgX2QcXjPyB25X8rIj3

Midnight Resistance in the Night Moves pack, i probably liked this because the cheat was to press all the buttons on the keyboard at the menu screen.
    Biggest book i had for the commodore keyboard was an encylopedia :)
    midnight_resistance.gif

SAS Combat Simulator, unique cos it had top down view and side view levels, damn hard !
    sas_combat_simulator_09.gif
    sas_combat_simulator_10.gif

Ah now that i started i cant stop, Uridium, Cabal, Gauntlet, Ghost N Goblins, I'll add more later.....

Ed

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Some quality games listed there eddhorse. Forgot about Shinobi, was chuffed the day I got my hands on that, was excellent. Hated Midnight Resistance though, those crawling bits annoyed the feck out of me, maybe I was just crap at it. :pac:

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Some quality games listed there eddhorse. Forgot about Shinobi, was chuffed the day I got my hands on that, was excellent. Hated Midnight Resistance though, those crawling bits annoyed the feck out of me, maybe I was just crap at it. :pac:

Maybe you didnt have an encylopedia to get you infinite lives, makes the games last longer and less rewinding tapes :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Wasnt a fan of the home ports of Midnight reisitance , The arcade cabinet had these twisty joystick tops that let you turn the weapons 360 degrees .regular joystick or even joypads werent the same.
    Midi was one of the few games I could finish on one credit , so I always had a soft spot for it.

• Advertisement

Wasnt a fan of the home ports of Midnight reisitance , The arcade cabinet had these twisty joystick tops that let you turn the weapons 360 degrees .regular joystick or even joypads werent the same.
    Midi was one of the few games I could finish on one credit , so I always had a soft spot for it.

Wow impressive, one credit !
    From what i remember you had to collect a numbers of keys to firstly get weapons and then ultimately free your family, ! Never had enough even with my unlimited lives to free them all, kept losing some on the last bit on the ladder.

Theme tune was deadly though :

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

eddhorse wrote: »
    Never put up what games i liked....

Blue max cos it was fun and it didn't take long to load on the counter, 022 or something.
    NO

Shinobi cos it was awesome, not as good as the arcade but still love it, damn blue ninjas.
    MEH

Rainbow islands, it was tough when your rainbow went and you fell all the way back down.
    rainbow_islands.gif

NOT BAD

Leaderboard Golf, very like Tiger woods is now :O it finally caught up on this.
    Only game i could play with my dad really, get the snap right on.
    leaderboard.gif

GOOD

Bubble Bobble, Defo favourite game, once was stuck in a 2 player game and was too busy to go bury the family dog that died, sorry "Prince".
    bubble_bobble.gif

VERY GOOD

Last Ninja II, loved it, was hard as nails at the time, youth of today wouldnt stand a chance.
    GAME IS ****E

New Zealand story, liked this more than Rainbow Islands, no warps though like the arcade version.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7ZF5boANOPMTmCIRDs4_Rp_cv2LLDRpgX2QcXjPyB25X8rIj3

VERY NICE

Midnight Resistance in the Night Moves pack, i probably liked this because the cheat was to press all the buttons on the keyboard at the menu screen.
    Biggest book i had for the commodore keyboard was an encylopedia :)
    midnight_resistance.gif

GREAT GAME

SAS Combat Simulator, unique cos it had top down view and side view levels, damn hard !
    SAY WHAT????????
    Ah now that i started i cant stop, Uridium, Gauntlet, Ghost N Goblins, I'll add more later.....

Ed

Some good games there but you forgot the best game of all time :mad:

Boulder Dash

I tweet you like this Bunny wabbit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

i'll never forget the day I played the first game that music played as the game loaded...

I nearly shat myself :D

Ok Sparks43 thanks for shooting holes in my childhood and the games I liked,

Is Boulder Dash the only game you had?

Let's here your list :)

He also had Bolder Dash 2 and 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

30 years? Damn! I started out with a Vic-20 many, many moons ago; maybe about 25 years ago (Jesus I feel old now!), and it was only a few years later that I managed to convince my dad to buy a C64. Picked one up with a 1541 mk.I disk-drive and an absolute wedge of games second hand. I still have it (and a second C64 I got for free off a mate) although it's been packed away for years now.

Ah, many memorable moments :D

Creatures 1 & 2
    Platoon
    Wonderboy
    Paperboy
    The Last Ninja 1,2/Remix,3
    Commando
    Supremacy
    Turrican 1 & 2
    Bubble Bobble
    New Zealand Story
    Rick Dangerous 2
    Aliens
    Way of the Exploding Fist
    IK+
    Mayhem in Monsterland
    Hackers 2
    Navy SEALS

etc. etc. I could be here all night :D

I shall leave you with the title screen & music for Platoon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

All the posters here have issues

Ciderman likes Halo
    Retro likes Chou Aniki
    Luas Dublin is obsesed with outrun
    Dinorex likes Disabled romantic Jrpgs and hats
    Logie likes deleting posts:rolleyes:

A few of your picks are quite good Bubble Bobble ,Uridium, Midnight Resistance,Leaderboard

My favourite C64 games

Boulder Dash
    Boulder Dash 2
    Rick Dangerous
    Magicland Dizzy(Basicly the whole Dizzy series)
    Paradroid
    Kikstart
    Arkanoid
    Flimbos Quest
    Microprose Soccer

Boulder Dash 3 was chit on the c64 much better on the Spectrum

Sparks43 wrote: »

Ciderman likes Halo
    Retro likes Chou Aniki

A few of your picks are quite good Bubble Bobble ,Uridium, Midnight Resistance,Leaderboard

My favourite C64 games

Boulder Dash
    Boulder Dash 2
    Rick Dangerous
    Magicland Dizzy(Basicly the whole Dizzy series)
    Paradroid
    Kikstart
    Arkanoid
    Flimbos Quest
    Microprose Soccer

Boulder Dash 3 was chit on the c64 much better on the Spectrum

I did really like the dizzy series, had a pack of them in fact , dizzy down the rapids, treasure island, spellbound, magic land was there I think, may dig out a link.

Flimbo's quest a mate had on cartridge I think, so that was brill,
    And Arkanoid was always a great game :)

I will have to look up PAradroid, think I played all the rest !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sparks43 wrote: »

Ciderman likes Halo
    Retro likes Chou Aniki

Woah there, OutRun is just arcade racer perfection, I'll not have a bad word said against it :D

My absolute favourite on the C64 was Myth:

Was rock hard though. Could never clear the Egyptian level. They toned down the difficulty for the Amiga version and I managed to complete that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,232 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

DinoRex wrote: »
    My absolute favourite on the C64 was Myth:

Was rock hard though. Could never clear the Egyptian level. They toned down the difficulty for the Amiga version and I managed to complete that.

Always loved the animation of the character in the C64 version Myth - never really played it much though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Good ole Myth. I had it on the Amstrad CPC.
    I think it was one of the first games I completed as a kid.

Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

creatures 2 death scenes... classic video game violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭Doge

It may just be a new distro of linux at the end of the day,

but it's still pretty cool! :D

This inside look of Commodore USA is worth a gander too:

Just one more thing i remember from the C64, the power supply.

Seeing as saving wasn't really an option this thing used to be flaming hot, nearly burning a hole in the floor, must have burnt someones house down at some stage :

c64psu.jpg

Seeing as saving wasn't really an option this thing used to be flaming hot, nearly burning a hole in the floor, must have burnt someones house down at some stage :

c64psu.jpg

I had a C64c model which used the middle psu (brick) and it used only get luke warm.

I still use the power brick today to power a synthesizer that uses 8 of the commodore SID sound chips.

The reason the brick doesn't get as hot is because it has a massive heatsink, and the entire circuit is surrounded by a solid block of resin.
    (Almost like pouring concrete over the entire circuit)
    Here's what it looks like inside:

RATdS.jpg

The drawback of the brick is that if the fuse blows inside, you can't replace it as you can't get at it.

You can get at the other 2 wedge shaped PSUs to replace the fuse or components, since they are hollow.

I reckon the C64c model draws less current than the original breadbin model, so it would have generated less heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

c64psu.jpg
    I had that middle one and it died at some stage:(

Is anyone rocking their Commodore with a DIN - S-Video cable?

In case you didn't know:
    Yes! - The later commodore models are capable of producing S-Video!

http://radagast.bglug.ca/C64_svideo/C64_Svideo.html

As long as you have the 8-pin Video output, and not the 5-pin, you can output S-video using a special cable:

$(KGrHqV,!ksE7!QbvBtPBO8mBGB5jQ~~60_12.JPG

Link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I was browsing youtube for some good old C64 SID memories and came across this.
    If it doesn't get your head nodding, then you're not a C64 fan. :)

Reyn Ouwehand (former member of the Maniacs of Noise) ... talented guy. Fantastic looping and layering.....

Advertisement