Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C64 30 Year Anniversary

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Concerned2

God it seems like a lifetime ago I played some of the games mentioned in the previous posts. Some other good ones that come to mind were Bubble Bubble , Impossible Mission , starequake , Lords of Midnight, Stunt car racer & Green Beret. It used to be so frustrating trying to load some of the bloody games for it , I had to place the cassette player on top of the tv to get certain games to load , on the floor for others & had to hold the cassette for others to load !

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I had ghostbusters on the C64 and when it was loading you got to play space invaders while you waited!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

keithgeo wrote: »
    I had ghostbusters on the C64 and when it was loading you got to play space invaders while you waited!
    I remember that, best part of the game really as Ghostbusters sucked:eek:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

The joys/perils of C-64 tape loading, sometimes it felt totally random whether a game would load first time or not. Bruce Lee was another cool game iirc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Bruce Lee was another cool game iirc.

Bruce Lee was a brilliant game. collecting the white things, i think that was probably one of the first games i finished along with Batman the caped crusader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I must have owned every game ever released for the C64 and 99% of them originals I must add.
    Stupid me remembers selling the whole lot for £120 to my uncles mate and laughing thinking I was ripping him off:eek:
    The boot of the car was full and I think some of the stuff even had to go on the back seat.
    I think I spent the money on the release day of the SNES iirc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Don't forget IK & IK+ :cool:

Speaking of Road Blasters recently, it wasn't too bad of a home port for the time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bubble Bobble was my favourite arcade port on the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Fantastic machine in its day ( I still play the games daily)

The SID chip was stunning also in its day.

Fav games: Last Ninja 1+2, Bruce Lee, Delta , Sanxion or anything by Thalamus.
    Anything that had Rob Hubbard music on it.
    Ik+, Bankok Knights, I could go on for days.
    Definitely my favourite machine for gaming ever...
    Hard to think it was 30 years ago..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I remember that, best part of the game really as Ghostbusters sucked:eek:

There was a Real Ghostbusters game based on the cartoon series which wasn't too bad. Played a bit like Mercs.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Speaking of Mercs, the absolute worse game I bought on the C64 was Mercs:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I remember the early ones,
    Raid over Moscow,
    Beach Head,
    Mercenary

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Wow thirty years !!

What makes me laugh is the advertisements at the time...

com64sep84ad.jpg

c64_ad.jpg

936full-commodore-64-photo.jpg

Commodore%20Comparison%20Ad.jpg

commodore_64_box.jpg

c64_expansion_large.jpg

commodore_64_box.jpg

c64ad.jpg
    And just said id throw this in :

C64_starbilschirm-595x409.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,796 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Played Impossible Mission until the power pack glowed red hot, one load, every game different, a game that was so far ahead of its time. The sequel was a bit of a let down, but maybe the original was too good ? Im amazed nobody has had a crack at it on the newer consoles though.

Other games that I played the s**t out of -

Pastfinder
    Bubble Bobble
    Powerdrift
    Winter Games
    Ikari Warriors
    Last Ninja

A great little machine.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Speaking of Mercs, the absolute worse game I bought on the C64 was Mercs:

And to that list you can add :

Street Fighter 2
    Final Fight
    Enduro Racer
    Chase HQ
    Wec Le Mans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Wow 30 years old thats crazy makes me feel old, cidey must feel ancient then:pac:

Got mine (can't remember year) it was the one with Flimbo's Quest cart and my friend got the shoot em up construction kit version.

Absolutly fantastic machine, programming the bloody thing all day long just to get my name flashing on the screen once, blink and you'll miss it which happened to me more than on more than one occasion.

Great selection of games aswell.
    Double Dragon 2, California Games, Power Drift, OutRun, Off Road Racer and the awesome cart that came with it with Flimbo's Quest which is a bloody excellent platformer.

I remember using a black & white tv when I first got it, didn't think it strange at the time but jaysus a black & white tv for christs sake.
    I was upgreded to a full 64 colour tv about a year later and it blew my socks off.

I still have the console but the tape deck in knackered might break it out someday and try mend her to have a bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

ebbsy wrote: »
    Played Impossible Mission until the power pack glowed red hot, one load, every game different, a game that was so far ahead of its time. The sequel was a bit of a let down, but maybe the original was too good ? Im amazed nobody has had a crack at it on the newer consoles though.

Other games that I played the s**t out of -

Pastfinder
    Bubble Bobble
    Powerdrift
    Winter Games
    Ikari Warriors
    Last Ninja

A great little machine.

Impossible Mission got a rerelease on DS a couple of years ago can still be found in the odd shop for around €10 it even has the original game on it.

I originally got the Night Moves pack and the Mindbenders Pack with my Commodore .

1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e263367274c3629421041dfe9e54ed35d067ec.jpg

First game i played on Xmas morning was Night Breed, weirdest game ever !I broke so many Cheetah Annihilator Joysticks, they were always making crunching sounds.

dscf6770-731x1024.jpg

I then got one with yellow buttons, was hardy as hell !

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWCtehKaJyijBcxTX_3kV-tqTSMmQFHrJEjv4m0XrBSnle3sJCJcx3-6zy

Anyone know the name of them ones?

eddhorse wrote: »
    I originally got the Night Moves pack and the Mindbenders Pack with my Commodore .

1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e263367274c3629421041dfe9e54ed35d067ec.jpg

First game i played on Xmas morning was Night Breed, weirdest game ever !I broke so many Cheetah Annihilator Joysticks, they were always making crunching sounds.

dscf6770-731x1024.jpg

I then got one with yellow buttons, was hardy as hell !

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWCtehKaJyijBcxTX_3kV-tqTSMmQFHrJEjv4m0XrBSnle3sJCJcx3-6zy

Anyone know the name of them ones?

Competition Pro maybe ?????

Night Breed looked great. But I don't think there's a person alive who knew what the hell they were supposed to be doing in that game.

The interactive movie version of Night Breed on the Amiga is an absolute oddity though.

Oh and I had the yellow zipstick out and plugged in the the CD32 on friday night at the beers.

• Advertisement

pdbhp wrote: »
    Impossible Mission got a rerelease on DS a couple of years ago can still be found in the odd shop for around €10 it even has the original game on it.

Will check that out. I remember they did it in the "Computer Warrior" in Eagle Comic as well......

The old days were the best ???????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

keithgeo wrote: »
    I got one for my commuinion i think!

It was i think "light fantastic" pack or something? with Ganster, Rambo\platoon, combat school etc all the light gun games. Also had Batman the caped crusader with it. great game. Think i sold it eventually in the buy and sell to get a NES. played it death when i was younger, me and my brother. Used to rent out and buy the games from a place up in the bowling alley in palmerstown, cant remember the name of the shop now. had thousands of games in it at the time.

Now I have a boxed C64 with a load of games (Thanks Luas!)
    also have a boxed Amiga1200 too.

Holy shit! I had forgotten about that place. C64 games for £2 :D

I remember Night Breed had amazing photorealistic graphics

night%20breed.png

Memory is a funny thing sometimes.

DinoRex wrote: »
    Night Breed looked great. But I don't think there's a person alive who knew what the hell they were supposed to be doing in that game.

The interactive movie version of Night Breed on the Amiga is an absolute oddity though.

Oh and I had the yellow zipstick out and plugged in the the CD32 on friday night at the beers.

Zipstick that was it !!!

zip-stick2_480_poster.jpg

As for nightbreed it was a bit much for young kids ! Remember the load screen?
    97440-clive-barker-s-nightbreed-the-action-game-commodore-64-screenshot.png

On a side note i did try do some programming on the c64, a few pages of battleship coding, took ages as a young kid !
    Of course you couldn't turn off the c64 so that power supply was burning a hole in the floor, and at the end it didnt work :(

Yeah the Zipstick was the sturdiest stick going. Of course that didn't mean you didn't go through a bunch of them.

I remember one of the magazines used to test and review the different joysticks when they came out and as part of the review they'd drop them off the roof.

I used to have few of these:

1239914417.jpg

They were as f*cking uncomfortable to use as you'd expect... but man were they going cheap in the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭Doge

But but but!! Chasehq was AWFUL! (and worse still the speccy version is great!)
    I picked up a copy for a quid last year.
    Heres me playing it ..(and crying ...as its that terribad)

Surely he meant Chase HQ 2 / Special Criminal Investigation?

Now that port was awesome!

A to Z of all Arcade Conversions for the C64, official, unofficial & unreleased

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

The C64 30 years old

Bloody hell

Anyway Boulder Dash on the C64

Best game ever

Mods lock now please nothing else that could be said to change this undeniable fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I had a zipstick too.... fantastic joysticks.
    Anyone remember the Konix Speedking?
    Great for short games of anything, but god help you on long gaming sessions.
    Don't mention sweaty hands either! :)

2.jpg

Advertisement