Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxer in dirty protest!!!

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

As the other poster said, the age of the dog is the issue. That's far too young to be leaving him outside. I'd understand it in warmer weather or perhaps when he reaches his teens and starts becoming a tearaway, an issue that's probably gonna affect this dog a big way as it'll never really bond with the family if he gets put outside every night. In his mind he's being seperated from his pack and will feel he's done something wrong. boxers are prone to seperation anxiety and need to be included in a big way. Only opening it up to a world of trouble to put him out every night in both health and behaviour terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

elius wrote: »
    A yes but the Inuit houses and climate differ massively to our's they don't have central heating they also use there dog's for hunting, pulling sled's etc They don't have them lying in central heated houses on leather couch's etc.

Our climate isn't that of the Far northern hemisphere. where minus figures are a thing of the norm...

I have an 9 week pup at the moment who is inside that said when old enough he will be outside....

Boxers were used previously for hunting so how there an indoor breed is beyond me....

Good points:) I use mine for pulling, but they sleep inside. I did used to leave the dog flap open for them at night, but with so many livestock in the area, and living right on the coast, I now keep them inside at night in case a fence blows down etc.

Most dog breeds are different now to what their original purpose was, and their coats are different. They could probably revert to type, but the issue is going in and out I think, so the coat maybe neither one thing nor the other?

If I took my double coated northern breeds to Alaska I'd say they would struggle with the temperatures. However, maybe after spending a couple of winters there, they would adapt and be able to work.

There are some breeds that have always been intended to be indoors - the lap dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

When we are here he potters around the house with us and is put out for his food in the morning&evening and left out for an hour or 2 for fresh air he goes in and out all day no accidents in the house he heads to the back door everytime he needs to go out, he's been trained to go in a specific area and he does most of the time, no major problems with that.
    david75 wrote: »
    As the other poster said, the age of the dog is the issue. That's far too young to be leaving him outside. I'd understand it in warmer weather or perhaps when he reaches his teens and starts becoming a tearaway, an issue that's probably gonna affect this dog a big way as it'll never really bond with the family if he gets put outside every night. In his mind he's being seperated from his pack and will feel he's done something wrong. boxers are prone to seperation anxiety and need to be included in a big way. Only opening it up to a world of trouble to put him out every night in both health and behaviour terms.

The dog is in the house for longer than i am during the whole day, in from morning, walked once then till the evening when i come home and walk him again... didnt you read the posts???? So putting him out at night instead of locked in his cage in the back hall will stop him bonding with the family????
    You want me to sleep with him? Make a great strong bond?

Do you have a dog David75? is it locked in a cage all day and then all night again??? And if you dont then is that how it's life would be if you did because you seem to think dogs should be kept inside... You think that's a better life??? Not being able to relieve themselves when they have to???

So the age of the dog and not the temperature is the issue?????
    And at 5 months the dog is well able to sleep on his own, inside or out...

And on the issue of me sleeping in the kennel, as big as it is i'm 6'8" so unfortunately it's just not big enough...

Can open, worms everywhere.

it's just too cold to leave such a young pup out, psychological issues aside. But he's your dog, do as you will. You're setting yourself up for a bunch of problems with it later is all i'm saying. And if he is in the house all day with the family, the putting out at night time is what's gonna confuse him and cause the problems. But again, it's your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Of course boxers can be kept outside
    whoever here who are saying they can't are only giving the self righteous answer
    it's your dog, you decide where it sleeps, as for its diet, take it off all wet foods, you'll notice a different immediately, Use a complete bagged food
    Had to do this with my 2 boxers as the same thing was happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

Can open, worms everywhere.

it's just too cold to leave such a young pup out, psychological issues aside. But he's your dog, do as you will. You're setting yourself up for a bunch of problems with it later is all i'm saying. And if he is in the house all day with the family, the putting out at night time is what's gonna confuse him and cause the problems. But again, it's your dog.

Its not going to confuse him. After a week or so he will understand that this is the norm and will settle down knowing this is his routine. The same way my dogs come looking for food at 8-9 in the morning and half 5 in the evening. I don't think you realise how smart dogs are! They respond to routine just like humans. Walk time's etc.

We'll see. Rather him than me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Trusting vets is fine but not to the extent the OP does. We have minds of our own and I would trust the experienced posters here more than any vet.

Last year vet advice nearly killed one of our cats. Not the first time w ehad been given wrong advice by any means.

Someone rightly also raised the issue of theft of dogs left out.

This is a puppy with all the needs of a young critter. Sure, he will come to accept being out, but you are losing out on a great deal here.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

Graces7 wrote: »
    This is a puppy with all the needs of a young critter. Sure, he will come to accept being out, but you are losing out on a great deal here.

I'm still failing to see this "great deal" that i'll be missing out on?
    The dog is sleeping on his own whether in or out and that ain't going to change...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 360 ✭✭DogsFirst

darokane wrote: »
    Of course boxers can be kept outside
    whoever here who are saying they can't are only giving the self righteous answer
    it's your dog, you decide where it sleeps, as for its diet, take it off all wet foods, you'll notice a different immediately, Use a complete bagged food
    Had to do this with my 2 boxers as the same thing was happening

If you're feeding boxers dry food you need to ensure they are free of gluten (wheat / barley / rye). They're prone to skin issues / intestinal disease and fingers are pointing at cereal (amongst others) as the prime cause.

• Advertisement

DogsFirst wrote: »
    If you're feeding boxers dry food you need to ensure they are free of gluten (wheat / barley / rye). They're prone to skin issues / intestinal disease and fingers are pointing at cereal (amongst others) as the prime cause.

Yeah it's a real pity that most boxers end up dying of intestinal problems or cancer
    They are a lovely misjudged dog.

darokane wrote: »
    Yeah it's a real pity that most boxers end up dying of intestinal problems or cancer
    They are a lovely misjudged dog.

Misjudged no

Over bread due to the high prices obtained during the silly years yes

Misjudged no

Misjudged as in peoples perceptions of them being a vicious dog when that couldn't be further from the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Misjudged no

Over bread due to the high prices obtained during the silly years yes

Bred, not bread....;)

andreac wrote: »
    Bred, not bread....;)

There's is always one who has to pull someone up on spelling isn't there. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: And this is the reason I try to refrain from posting on board's its full of key board jockeys who pull all there info off the net whilst having no idea of the the real world like David75 saying "and I quote".
    You're leaving him outside at night? did i read that right? double insulated or not, the kennel is outside, boxers are an indoor breed

Just a shame you didn't read all the post's in this thread so thoroughly ;);)

andreac wrote: »
    To be honest, carpet doesnt keep the cold out unless the kennel is properly insulated. A lot of people are under the impression if a kennel has blankets etc the dog will be warm but thats def not the case. The wooden walls of a kennel dont keep the cold out unless the kennel is fully insulated. Boxers dont have thick coats so dont have a big hairy coat to keep them warm.
    niallam wrote: »
    Did you even read any of the posts in this thread???????? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    The kennel has a double layer of insulation in the walls, roof and even under the floor....... We had it built specially for the dog.
    It's a long way from central heating that dogs came from...

Anyway enough of going off the original topic please.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Elius if you have an issue with a post - use the report post function.

Everyone else - let's not nitpick (over spelling or otherwise) and can we all ease up on the rolleyes for the sake of the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

niallam wrote: »
    The dog is in the house for longer than i am during the whole day, in from morning, walked once then till the evening when i come home and walk him again... didnt you read the posts???? So putting him out at night instead of locked in his cage in the back hall will stop him bonding with the family????
    You want me to sleep with him? Make a great strong bond?

Do you have a dog David75? is it locked in a cage all day and then all night again??? And if you dont then is that how it's life would be if you did because you seem to think dogs should be kept inside... You think that's a better life??? Not being able to relieve themselves when they have to???

So the age of the dog and not the temperature is the issue?????
    And at 5 months the dog is well able to sleep on his own, inside or out...

And on the issue of me sleeping in the kennel, as big as it is i'm 6'8" so unfortunately it's just not big enough...

My two cents would be that you are acclimatising him to central heating, and then it's a physical shock to be outside. An outdoor dog should grow an oilier (and smellier) coat to keep him warmer.
    He must be a very good dog, mine could never be outdoors as there'd be so much to bark at. I'd be scared of him being stolen too, it's shocking when you find out how much of that is going on.

Wow. Nice tone. Really friendly. Gonna get so combative there's probably no point in trying to help you.
    Good luck.

Advertisement