Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MULLINGAR OUT OF CONTROL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wetminger

Woodlands, really? I wouldn't have considered that to be a particularly bad area personally. Maybe you were just unlucky. On the main, the only bad areas are Grange and Dalton Park however parts of Ardleigh next to Grange are meant to bit slightly shabby.
    I do think all towns have some less than nice areas though, don't they? Maybe I am too positive or have just been lucky up to now but in my 34 years I have never encountered anything rough in town - excluding chip shops at 4am of course which I think globally are best avoided ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wetminger

@ Ham Sambo - ooopppsss I just realised I am confusing Woodlands with somewhere else - Woodlands is actually within Grange, so yes you are right, that probably was best avoided. I am sure many nice people live there though as when I was a kid lots of the older areas were just fine working class parts of town, since the population explosion in the noughties they seem to have turned sort of rough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

GKidd wrote: »
    No you may not suggest anything of the sort. When I saw that girl being turfed out I went to the Fence. When I saw the amount of toolboxes in there I went to the Lane Club.

The kids on tables episode happened in a pub in Dominic St. and they all seemed off their heads on drugs. Try walking on your own, sober through the town at midnight on a Saturday and report back.

Regarding your Smithfield post...sorry to be pedantic but D7 is not central Dublin and infairness I would'nt go next or near Balinasloe when the horse fair is on.

The facts speak for themselves..Don't go North of Mullingar, Abbeylands and Ballyglass area are prone to rioting. Don't go West of Mullingar as grange is prone to rioting. Don't go East of Mullingar as Dalton Park is prone to rioting. Instead head South and keep going...

Dublin 7 goes right up to Dublin 1 (Henry Street) - Dublin Central. Dublin 7 is very much part of Dublin Central, and for politics, it forms part of the Dáil Constituency. So , Smithfield is , very much part of Central Dublin City

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Mart0

martin1 wrote: »
    So you have live in Athlone have you ?

Obviously you are an expert on life here.

Can you give some examples to back up this ignorant statement.

Athlone has cleaned up its act since the 80s.
    Thanks to a state of the art cctv system and regular Garda patrols on foot and on bicycles, our lovely scenic town is virtually crime free.

That is an absolutely ridiculous claim. I've lived in Athlone my entire life and it's always been very bad for crime. "Crime Free"? What about the lad who was glassed out by the AIT (Whether he was in the wrong or not, it's still a crime) I've been mugged myself down near montree (In the middle of the day) , I've had people break into my house In Irishtown looking for non-existent cannabis plants. Only to find they have the wrong house. The joys of living directly across from an apartment block full of scumbags. Good luck if you walk through even the middle of town at night, I wouldn't even imagine walking near some of the estates like Mels, Sarsfield, Woodville or anywhere the far side of the bridge. Crime is everywhere in this town, There are apartment blocks such as Inish house which are full to the brim with Heroin addicts shooting on Fire escape stairwells, Leaving dirty needles everywhere. Willow Park is still full of crack-dens and Drugs, as is Mels.

I don't know how you live in such delusion, I've lived both in the middle of town and in the more upper class areas of Glassan and I still wouldn't feel safe in either of them.

Should probably add the (As it fits the thread) of the riots that happen every time without fail when there is an under-age disco in Q nightclub. Always about 50 Athlone lads and what I assume are about 20 lads from another town, Probably Ballinasloe or Mullingar, Throwing rocks and killing each other in the middle of Churchstreet, While the gards look on in their squadcar.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

[QUOTE=Mart0;77948249
    I don't know how you live in such delusion, I've lived both in the middle of town and in the more upper class areas of Glassan and I still wouldn't feel safe in either of them.[/QUOTE]

mmmmmm....All I can say about that is that anybody who does'nt feel safe in Glasson, is in dire need of professional help.

No offence sir ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Mart0 wrote: »
    That is an absolutely ridiculous claim. I've lived in Athlone my entire life and it's always been very bad for crime. "Crime Free"? What about the lad who was glassed out by the AIT (Whether he was in the wrong or not, it's still a crime) I've been mugged myself down near montree (In the middle of the day) , I've had people break into my house In Irishtown looking for non-existent cannabis plants. Only to find they have the wrong house. The joys of living directly across from an apartment block full of scumbags. Good luck if you walk through even the middle of town at night, I wouldn't even imagine walking near some of the estates like Mels, Sarsfield, Woodville or anywhere the far side of the bridge. Crime is everywhere in this town, There are apartment blocks such as Inish house which are full to the brim with Heroin addicts shooting on Fire escape stairwells, Leaving dirty needles everywhere. Willow Park is still full of crack-dens and Drugs, as is Mels.

I don't know how you live in such delusion, I've lived both in the middle of town and in the more upper class areas of Glassan and I still wouldn't feel safe in either of them.

Should probably add the (As it fits the thread) of the riots that happen every time without fail when there is an under-age disco in Q nightclub. Always about 50 Athlone lads and what I assume are about 20 lads from another town, Probably Ballinasloe or Mullingar, Throwing rocks and killing each other in the middle of Churchstreet, While the gards look on in their squadcar.

Glasson is upper class? Funny. What, farmers? Well, reasonably well off farmers (who do behave )

Sorry, but I agree with the poster above, Glasson is not a place to be fearful of - unless you are walking home at night and due to the roads, get knocked down.

I assume then that you guys don't live/have not lived there long enough to hear of the nearly daily house invasions, break ins and vandalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

I assume then that you guys don't live/have not lived there long enough to hear of the nearly daily house invasions, break ins and vandalism.

Ah will ya get away outta dat with yer auld nonsense - "Near daily house invasions" - Exaggeration much ? .....:rolleyes:

This is Glasson we're tallking about here - not Fort Apache The Bronx. I don't believe for a minute that you've ever lived in Glasson - If you had you might at least be able to spell the name of the village properly !

I also doubt very much that you've lived in Athlone all your life as you've claimed - Your post is much more indicative of someone who's spent a short period of time in Athlone as a student and has a chip on their shoulder against the town for some reason best known to yourself........

Your comments about the law and order situation in Athlone and about Athlone in general are completely ludicrous - And then you have the audacity to accuse other posters of being deluded !. :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, your statement regarding people "Throwing rocks and killing each other in the middle of Churchstreet (sic), While the gards (sic) look on in their squadcar (sic)" is a very serious allegation to make without any substantiation .......... Moderators please note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

Yes because there's been many a night in the town of Athlone where young kids under the age of 18 do battle on the mean streets brutally butchering each other in cold blood with samurai swords after a night of dancing while the Gardai look on laughing hysterically in amusement :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

lets just all agree that Athlone and Mullingar are better towns than Longford, which is a kip...

athlone and mullingar have serious issues and problems however

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

Mullingar is an absolute kip. Alot of young lads down there with serial sexual frustration are gagging for a fight after a night out to release their adrenalin. They are often supported by surrounding women folk who are also likely to be completely intoxicated and acting on primal, aggressive and irrational basal instinct.

Be warned - if you dont look like a complete knack, you're seen as "different" and may attract unwanted attention from the animals down there for wandering into their mongoloid pi$$ing ground. The chippers are the worst place to be - dont try to engage in any conversation with unknown people there as their behaviour when fueled by alcohol is likely to be aggressive and threatening. Just jump into a taxi or walk home after the night club until the animals return to their dens to sleep off their stupor and return to the reality of their miserable, pathetic lives.

RIP to that poor lad from Carrick on Shannon who had the misfortune of choosing Mullingar as a place to celebrate a Christmas night out. What happened to him was not an isolated incident, but more so the norm when it comes to alcohol-fueled aggression to be seen on any Saturday night in Mullingar - a place in my experience which is one of the most violent towns in Ireland.

And finally as an extra safety precaution, I would highly recommend regular self-defense training for anyone planning on spending time there. At the very least, you should be extremely well conditioned to support the "flight" part of your fight-or-flight response. While there is a heavy (and necessary) garda presence there, it is really only you who can look after yourself - the garda will realistically only be there to view the CCTV and take details after the unfortunate event has occurred. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

I love the way people spout off about Mullingar based on a small sample of visits. As someone who was born and raised just outside the town, I'll admit, it's not the nicest at times, but everywhere has it's problems, and Mullingars bad points have been highly exaggerated. I've never felt more endangered there than in any other similar sized town I've been to in Ireland. I'm not here to have a go at other towns, as I don't have enough experience in them, but this whole thing has been a blown up reaction to news coverage without people actually judging for themselves. The situation with the poor man from Carrick on Shannon is tragic but it is more of a reflection on the absolute scumbag that killed him than the town itself.

@Motorist
    It's "not an isolated incident"? Example? Care to link a story or anything to back up what you say?
    I don't look like a knack, and I've never once been in a fight or started on in Mullingar despite being out hundreds of times. Care to explain that? :rolleyes:

The situation with the poor man from Carrick on Shannon is tragic but it is more of a reflection on the absolute scumbag that killed him than the town itself.

It was not an isolated incident of one scumbag as you suggest but rather three people have been charged with this manslaughter - Jessica Hughes (19) of Greenfield Heights, Rathwire, Killucan, Westmeath; Patrick Farrell (20) of Cornamuckla, Broadford, Kildare and Patrick Daly (22) of Mulphedder, Clonard, Meath. Separately Mr Daly is also charged with assaulting another man on 23 December, which caused him severe injury and Mr Farrell is charged with common assault on a third man, on the same date at Pearse St, Mullingar.

We would never have heard of this case had the victim not fallen to the ground and suffered severe injuries - it would have just been another assault on a night out in Mullingar as I have witnessed first hand countless times - just look at the record of the local District Court if you need evidence.

It should also be noted that this was a completely random act of violence and the victim was not looking for any trouble. I will not comment further on a sub judice case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Three individuals, none of whom have an address in Mullingar. Do scumbags have an innate attraction to the town? Is this not a reflection on the disgusting behaviour of the individuals?

I've been out many nights in Mullingar and elsewhere, and Mullingar has about the same amount of fights as anywhere I've been, no more, no less. If you've witnessed so many assaults first hand, and feel unsafe there as to your previous post, why go back "countless times"?

I'm sure there will be many counts of drunken assault, as there will be in any other district court. Can you can come back with solid statistics about how Mullingar is worse than any other similar towns or can you please stop stating opinions without any facts to back them up?

I've been out many nights in Mullingar and elsewhere, and Mullingar has about the same amount of fights as anywhere I've been, no more, no less. If you've witnessed so many assaults first hand, and feel unsafe there as to your previous post, why go back "countless times"?

Unfortunately I have no choice but to return to the town every once in a while, and as usual it lets me down severely from a safety perspective. I base my opinion and firm held belief on my own countless outings in the town.

Never before have I seen the gardai so helpless with a garda helicopter hovering overhead, as was the case when the scenes were broadcast from a housing estate, Dalton Park, in Mullingar on Six-One news. This was of course when the numerous lawless citizens there engaged in a mass riot involving over 200 people. This is the sort of contempt for the law you will by certain elements in Mullingar.

Thanfully the perpetrators were brought to justice. I wouldnt have any no-go areas for any provincial town anywhere in Ireland save what I have for Dalton Park, Mullingar. Yes I would have for areas of Tallaght, Finglas, Limerick, etc but those are all parts of cities.

Hopefully with widespread reforms in the Department of Justice, more gardai can be deployed at nights on the streets of Mullingar. Hopefully this coupled with the extensive CCTV in operation around the town center will result in more convictions for a sizeable majority of those who think drunken assault is normal behaviour and to be commended after a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

I also doubt very much that you've lived in Athlone all your life as you've claimed - Your post is much more indicative of someone who's spent a short period of time in Athlone as a student and has a chip on their shoulder against the town for some reason best known to yourself........

Haha, Wow, Your ignorance is astounding. I posted something you don't agree with so I must be a liar. I have, In fact lived in Glassan my entire life and know what it's actually like out it there, Rather than someone (Probably such as yourself) who moved out there to get away from all the noise and lights of the Town. But then again, If you want to live in your make believe world where everyone who has a different opinion to you is a liar, then go ahead, I have nothing to prove to you over where I live.
    On a more serious note, your statement regarding people "Throwing rocks and killing each other in the middle of Churchstreet (sic), While the gards (sic) look on in their squadcar (sic)" is a very serious allegation to make without any substantiation .......... Moderators please note.

I'm sure at least one other Boards member passed through town that night and saw the exact same thing. Why don't you believe these things can and have happened? Do you just enjoy living in a world of denial where nothing bad happens and we all get along?

Yes because there's been many a night in the town of Athlone where young kids under the age of 18 do battle on the mean streets brutally butchering each other in cold blood with samurai swords after a night of dancing while the Gardai look on laughing hysterically in amusement rolleyes.gif

No you're right. On a normal night it's people over the age of 18 who are battering each other after a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Mart0 .................... how can you live in Glasson your entire life and still not be able to spell it :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

martin1 wrote: »
    Mart0 .................... how can you live in Glasson your entire life and still not be able to spell it :confused:
    He's actually still right, it's sometimes spelled Glassan as well as Glasson.

On the Wikipedia entry it's spelled Glassan and I've also seen it spelled that way on some Golden Pages entries.

Haha, Wow, Your ignorance is astounding. I posted something you don't agree with so I must be a liar. I have, In fact lived in Glassan my entire life and know what it's actually like out it there, Rather than someone (Probably such as yourself) who moved out there to get away from all the noise and lights of the Town. But then again, If you want to live in your make believe world where everyone who has a different opinion to you is a liar, then go ahead, I have nothing to prove to you over where I live.

MY ignorance is astounding ? LOL :D

What age are you ? ? - Judging by your posts you'd be much better off concentrating on your education rather than wasting time posting nonsense on here...

Ever heard of playing the ball and not the man ? - I note your complete failure to address any of the issues that I have raised regarding your posts.

So you've lived in Glasson "your entire life" ? (Even though you don't even know how to spell the name of the village correctly ? - The way it's spelt by everyone I know who lives in Glasson ?) - Very strange that - In an earlier post you claimed that you'd lived "in the middle of town"....:)

Your posts speak for themselves : Exaggeration and obvious fiction much ? .:rolleyes:

Given the self evidently ridiculous and non-factual nature of the posts that you've made on this thread, I'll leave it to other Forum Members to decide who the "liar" is ...... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭slowharry

Wouldn't get caught up too much in the how you spell Glasson. Its Glassan on most OSI maps and Glasson on most sign posts.

Cant see how anyone could class Glasson as remotely dangerous - unless you count overeating in all the great spots to eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭aurin07

Moving to Athlone wednesday for the near future..

Strand street...

12gauge and stab vest check...

I can't really comment to the town alot of ye live.. First time I was in Athlone was last week for an interview. I also live in the country in Cork so a town will be a new experience to me..

Langer accent will attract the scumbags no doubt from some of the "storie's" here..

NOTE: "Stories"..

Actually thought it looked a pretty alri town?. Mind you maybe im on a nice side of it??. :confused:

Theres a great saying when it comes to the storys of these "rough" towns..

"On the corner of every farm there is a slurry pit.. "

'hdz

Athlone is a fine town - You'll enjoy living here.:cool:

Strand Street ? - Biggest danger there is getting your feet wet in the winter when the broad majestic Shannon decides to flood until your ground floor level is about two feet under water......:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭aurin07

Long Gone wrote: »
    Athlone is a fine town - You'll enjoy living here.:cool:

Strand Street ? - Biggest danger there is getting your feet wet in the winter when the broad majestic Shannon decides to flood until your ground floor level is about two feet under water......:p

4th floor apartment peasants.. :D:D

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 2 quinnbag

I moved just outside of Mullingar from Dublin about 2 years ago. I havent experienced any trouble myself but have seen it on many occasions. I wouldnt say i see it on a daily basis but have witnessed kids as they couldnt have been more then 15 yrs old abusing people walking up the street for no reason trying to start a fight and i actually was stopped at traffic lights just coming out of the town and saw two lads approach each other and just start baiting each other in the middle of the road. So i would have no doubt what people are describing here is 100% true. But i also think there are many towns in this country that are probably worse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 ezopsae

Jessica Hughes of Rathwire, Westmeath and Patrick Daly received community service for their part in the killing of Carrick on Shannon student Andrew Dolan.

The jury in that case should be ashamed of themselves. Jessica Hughes started the attack on this poor lad who lost his life as he pleaded with his assailants "please, dont hit me".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

ezopsae wrote: »
    Jessica Hughes of Rathwire, Westmeath and Patrick Daly received community service for their part in the killing of Carrick on Shannon student Andrew Dolan.

The jury in that case should be ashamed of themselves. Jessica Hughes started the attack on this poor lad who lost his life as he pleaded with his assailants "please, dont hit me".

Have to agree with you. Unbelievable. I suppose there's no chance the DPP will appeal. :(

Have to agree with you. Unbelievable. I suppose there's no chance the DPP will appeal. :(

A barman who saw what happened said Andrew Dolan's hands were down and that he could tell immediately that he had obviously never been in a situation like that before.

The trial was a farce and shame on the jury. Jessica Hughes and Patrick Daly were instrumental in the death of that poor student. Doubt these scumbags will give Dolan a second thought after they've completed their pitiful hours of community service.

An absolute disgrace. Land of saints and scholars ? - More like land where the scumbags are getting totally out of control and the government are doing absolutely nothing about it. The really depressing thing is that it seems to be getting worse each year.

• Advertisement

Long Gone wrote: »
    An absolute disgrace. Land of saints and scholars ? - More like land where the scumbags are getting totally out of control and the government are doing absolutely nothing about it. The really depressing thing is that it seems to be getting worse each year.

I'm not sure you can pin this one on the government. The gardai did their job perfectly and made three arrests, had CCTV evidence and witness statements. As for the legal eagles and the jury...

Advertisement