Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MULLINGAR OUT OF CONTROL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

ShaunC wrote: »
    I think it's time to ignore ham sambo and his flippant comments without the evidence to back up accusations. Every town has its problems. What town gets extra gardai if it is crime free. It sounds obvious the town with the fewer gardai needs less gardai because there is less trouble and crime to prevent.Is Athlone a safe town for women at night? Was the muliple rapist in Athlone ever caught. Let's stop slagging each others towns off and acknowledge each has it's troublemakers and scumbags who we wish would move away and not darken our doorsteps again.

Very well said. End of conversation I reckon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

Very well said. End of conversation I reckon.

I would like to point out one thing here before I go any further, I am not anti-Mullingar, I hold nothing personal against Mullingar, in fact I have many many close friends in Mullingar and through Westmeath.

However. I still hold the opinion that Mullingar is not a safe place to go after dark. Many people have been seriously assaulted and sadly one guy from Leitrim was brutally murdered before Christmas in the town, I still have not seen anybody from Mullingar condem the murder of Andrew Dolan. You are not really helping yourselves in selling Mullingar as a safe place to go after dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    Hi Ciara.
    First of all I admire the way you stick up for your home town of Mullingar, However I find it rather sad that you never once condemed the brutal murder of that guy from Carrick-on-shannon that took place in the 'lovely' town of Mullingar. Ciara, one doesent have to live or be from Mullingar to see that it a very dangerous town to be in at night time. Print media, radio and TV have been saying it down through the years. What I find worrying about your last post is you seem to think that because Andrew Dolan was not from Mullingar his attack was justified. I find that very sad indeed. By the way I have a wide circle of friends living in Mullingar.

I'm from Tullamore. I know Athlone, Mullingar, and Portlaoise socially and workwise for almost 20 years. All of them make me nervous. Tullamore does not. Yes, I know it, I'm from there. And yes, I can handle myself and have decked a few scumbags in my time (latest, 2010) but ask any garda, there are NO muggings in Tullamore Ciara. Its a town where the Gardai don't take crap.. Very few boyracers either you will note. The troublesome ones I mean. People have been coming to Tullamore for years from Mgar because its so divey at times. Plenty of good pubs too of course. But I wouldn't walk the streets drunk. Nor would I in Birr, Newbridge or Clonmel. Ask anyone!

But my primary reason for posting in this thread is Ham Sambos' disgusting joining of dots re ShortSkirtCiara and implying she thinks this dead young man's killing was justified. Shame on you for 1. screwball thinking (how did you join those dots??) 2. Over-casual use of thls young man's name so that ine future times, his name will come up in search engines along with all of this bile.

His killing was senseless. It happened on the streets of Mullingar. The townfolk as a whole are responsible for their community and how it is operating and being perceived. The Gardaí need to step up to the plate and start using their brains, their batons and the ERU if needed. Otherwise, vigilantes will step up. You better believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭nyan warrior

Im goin to Mullingar it sounds like castletown from hardy bucks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

For a small town it has a hell of a lot more crime that any other town the same size

That's because you're comparing it to what you hear in the media :pac: Try Dundalk on for size.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭nyan warrior

Is there much drugs in the town?

Hi Ciara.
    First of all I admire the way you stick up for your home town of Mullingar, However I find it rather sad that you never once condemed the brutal murder of that guy from Carrick-on-shannon that took place in the 'lovely' town of Mullingar. Ciara, one doesent have to live or be from Mullingar to see that it a very dangerous town to be in at night time. Print media, radio and TV have been saying it down through the years. What I find worrying about your last post is you seem to think that because Andrew Dolan was not from Mullingar his attack was justified. I find that very sad indeed. By the way I have a wide circle of friends living in Mullingar.

POST REPORTED. NO way @shortSkirtCiara was saying or implying that and your actions are scurrilous and disrespectful to the family of AD

An Ri rua wrote: »
    POST REPORTED. NO way @shortSkirtCiara was saying or implying that and your actions are scurrilous and disrespectful to the family of AD

If you read back through the other posts you will see I was justified in what I stated in my posts. I also think it is very wrong of you to imply that I was in anyway disrespectful to the Dolan family, I am now asking you retract the statement you made. I have known this family for a long number of years and have nothing but the highest of regard fior them.

If you read back through the other posts you will see I was justified in what I stated in my posts. I also think it is very wrong of you to imply that I was in anyway disrespectful to the Dolan family, I am now asking you retract the statement you made. I have known this family for a long number of years and have nothing but the highest of regard fior them.

Excellent, then I think you'll agree that this thread should be handled more delicately than you have been doing. I will not retract my statement; I have clearly believed that your posts thus far were OTT; and the one I pointed to in particular needed reporting. It is for moderators to decide whether that was founded or unfounded. Retract my statement? Never. You also should use the Boards facilities if you feel aggrieved. I'm not the only Boardsie who found your posts OTT and jumping to crazy conclusions. No one except an evil sub-human could have anything but sorrow for the poor guy AND his poor family. I am saying your acidic posts and ample mentioning of his name does none of them any favours.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭ipitydafool

Firstly very sad and tragic what happened to Andrew Dolan, hopefully the scumbags involved in his killing are all brought to justice. As someone who has been living in Mullingar for nearly 6 years now Id also like say I find it a very safe town to live in, certainly safer than my hometown of cavan. Some of the comments regarding Mullingar from people who are arent even living here are defo ott.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

I'm going to stand up for ham sambo as imo the post that suggested that the fact that the vicious thugs that carried out the thugs were not from the town is somehow significant is offensive as it detracts from the horror of that particular attack. Its not as if they came from far away (allegedly) or as if that should make a difference. Its an emotive discussion as it was a particularly nasty unprovoked attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭ShortskirtCiara

Im no longer posting in this thread and to be honest moderators, I think it should be closed/locked.

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Excellent, then I think you'll agree that this thread should be handled more delicately than you have been doing. I will not retract my statement; I have clearly believed that your posts thus far were OTT; and the one I pointed to in particular needed reporting. It is for moderators to decide whether that was founded or unfounded. Retract my statement? Never. You also should use the Boards facilities if you feel aggrieved. I'm not the only Boardsie who found your posts OTT and jumping to crazy conclusions. No one except an evil sub-human could have anything but sorrow for the poor guy AND his poor family. I am saying your acidic posts and ample mentioning of his name does none of them any favours.

The 'poor guy' you mentioned was called Andrew Dolan, referring to him as 'AD' or the 'poor guy' in my opinion is not showing respect, however I will commend you for at least condemming the brutal attack that took place, But I would have thought some of the other posters from Mullingar would have also condemed his murder. I think it's is now time to put this post to bed as we all could be going around in circles regarding Mullingar. I have made my point, time to move on

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wetminger

Wow some of the opinions on here are sensationalist to say the least. Obviously one murder is too many, however it doesn't make the town a no-go area. Who knows what circumstances surrounded the killing, as long as you are streetwise then Mullingar is like anywhere else. I have never felt anything but safe there.

Unfortunately large towns across the world will suffer from isolated incidents of serious crime like rape, murder etc... which will just happen no matter how many police walk down the street. That's just life unfortunately we are not exempt from it.

Mullingar was nothing but a sleepy small town when I was growing up there in the pre-boom years up to the mid 1990s. During the frantic 'Celtic Tiger' building boom the town witnessed a massive influx of lower paid workers escaping crazy house prices from the capital as well as foreigners moving to Ireland for a better life. Over the past 15-20 years therefore the demographic of Mullingar has changed considerably, with some of the new arrivals not as 'rural' in their approach as people once were.

The problem for Mullingar is that twice in recent years, small isolated groups of feral idiots have dragged the towns name through the headlines for fighting - namely settled travellers and an eastern-European gang. They could number no more than 40 to 50 people in a town of 20,000. This added to normal levels of crime for a town of this size make it seem like Mullingar suffers from more than its fair share of crime compared to similar Irish towns.

Personally I have had hundreds of nights out there and never experienced a single problem. My whole family lives there and socialize regularly without issue. If you are streetwise and not living in a rough area, Mullingar is as good if not better than most midland towns and certainly no less safe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 427 ✭✭GKidd

Firstly very sad and tragic what happened to Andrew Dolan, hopefully the scumbags involved in his killing are all brought to justice. As someone who has been living in Mullingar for nearly 6 years now Id also like say I find it a very safe town to live in, certainly safer than my hometown of cavan. Some of the comments regarding Mullingar from people who are arent even living here are defo ott.

I am an Ex- Pat Mullingar native who was briefy home at Christmas to visit family. I was disgusted by the way in which the town was being portrayed by the media.

I decided to head into town for a few pints one night and was even more disgusted to find that the town had turned into a warzone.

* In one pub there were teens dancing on the tables in the beergarden and openly "dropping bangers".

* Another guy in the next pub called me a scaldy hoor.

* When I was heading into Mojos at 11pm there was a young girl being carried out by the bouncers. Her eyes were rolling and she didn't look at all well.

* While waiting on a taxi two scumbags asked to buy my chips for €25.
    When I declined they knocked the bag from my hand onto the footpath and ran off laughing. When I got home I realised that they had fractured two of my onion rings in the unprovoked attack. :mad:

@GKidd, dare I suggest the problem you are having may be with the places you frequent (i.e Mojos) rather than the entire town of Mullingar being a 'warzone'. I mean kids dancing on tables? Whatever next...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I'm gonna defend Mullingar.. And every town has their 'bad' estates and family fueds. It's nothing to judge Mullingar by. I have lived here years, and have lived in way worse towns.

Was it Mullingar in 2008 that had weeks of street battles between rival "families"? I'd be curious to know what worse towns you lived in. I live in Tallaght, which would be regarded by most as one of Ireland's rougher places and never heard of pitched battles, between travellers, or "Eastern Europeans", or scobes for that matter.

wetminger wrote: »
    @GKidd, dare I suggest the problem you are having may be with the places you frequent (i.e Mojos) rather than the entire town of Mullingar being a 'warzone'. I mean kids dancing on tables? Whatever next...

>>Whoooosh>> ;)

@Mr.Presentable : less than 12 months ago there was a 'riot' at Smithfield market in central Dublin following a shooting in broad daylight on a Sunday afternoon - this happened in a tourist spot only a few blocks from O'Connell street opposite hotels, bus stops, a luas station etc... Type 'Shooting in Smithfield' into youtube for some evidence.
    Based on the logic used by some posters on this thread therefore, central Dublin should be avoided on Sunday afternoons as it is so dangerous. My point is that one negative incident in a small part of an area should not be the defining factor for an entire town/city. The 'riot' in Mullingar occurred in a small pocket of a notoriously rough estate over a mile from the town centre. Doesn't branding the entire town as dangerous therefore, seem slightly exaggerated to you and unfair on the 99.99% of inhabitants who were not involved?

Was it Mullingar in 2008 that had weeks of street battles between rival "families"? I'd be curious to know what worse towns you lived in. I live in Tallaght, which would be regarded by most as one of Ireland's rougher places and never heard of pitched battles, between travellers, or "Eastern Europeans", or scobes for that matter.

The answer to this question is plainly 'No'.

It was however Mullingar in 2008 that had an afternoon of street battles between rival traveller families. It started just before noon and the Gardai had it under control later that afternoon.

How has an incident which lasted a few hours been morphed into "weeks of street battles" in the minds of people? Please use google to substantiate 'facts' before posting. Perhaps if more people using this thread did then their opinions about Mullingar not be so sensationalist and clearly wrong.

• Advertisement

The answer to this question is plainly 'No'.

It was however Mullingar in 2008 that had an afternoon of street battles between rival traveller families. It started just before noon and the Gardai had it under control later that afternoon.

How has an incident which lasted a few hours been morphed into "weeks of street battles" in the minds of people? Please use google to substantiate 'facts' before posting. Perhaps if more people using this thread did then their opinions about Mullingar not be so sensationalist and clearly wrong.

I must have misunderstood. I thought it started in May and finished in July. Mea culpa, obviously if this was incorrect.

No you may not suggest anything of the sort. When I saw that girl being turfed out I went to the Fence. When I saw the amount of toolboxes in there I went to the Lane Club.

The kids on tables episode happened in a pub in Dominic St. and they all seemed off their heads on drugs. Try walking on your own, sober through the town at midnight on a Saturday and report back.

Regarding your Smithfield post...sorry to be pedantic but D7 is not central Dublin and infairness I would'nt go next or near Balinasloe when the horse fair is on.

The facts speak for themselves..Don't go North of Mullingar, Abbeylands and Ballyglass area are prone to rioting. Don't go West of Mullingar as grange is prone to rioting. Don't go East of Mullingar as Dalton Park is prone to rioting. Instead head South and keep going...

GKidd wrote: »
    Try walking on your own, sober through the town at midnight on a Saturday and report back.

I wouldn't choose to do this anywhere, Mullingar is no different in that respect?
    Regarding your Smithfield post...sorry to be pedantic but D7 is not central Dublin and infairness I would'nt go next or near Balinasloe when the horse fair is on.

Smithfield is 100m from the Four Courts. By anyone's standards that is central Dublin, regardless of postcode.
    The facts speak for themselves..Don't go North of Mullingar, Abbeylands and Ballyglass area are prone to rioting. Don't go West of Mullingar as grange is prone to rioting. Don't go East of Mullingar as Dalton Park is prone to rioting. Instead head South and keep going...

Which 'facts' are they??

Please feel free to head south, and don't look back...

I wouldn't choose to do this anywhere, Mullingar is no different in that respect?

Almost the Queens English old boy. Now try "Is Mullingar no different in that respect?" See...much better!

Smithfield is 100m from the Four Courts. By anyone's standards that is central Dublin, regardless of postcode.

Oh my, you're not much of a city dweller are you? To rural types perhaps this IS central Dublin *Sigh*

Which 'facts' are they??

Please feel free to head south, and don't look back...

Not only do I live south of the town but I propose that we build a wall from The Ardmore Rd. to the Dublin Bridge, down the canal line, down Pipers Booreen then on to the Dogtrack and out the Tullamore Rd. That would stop these rapscallions and neerdogooders interfering in the rest of our affairs.

@Gkidd : It was a statement with a question mark at the end on purpose, to imply our disagreement on the topic.

I dont see how where I reside is relevant to the fact that Smithfield is 5 minutes walk from Henry Street, therefore central. Sorry but even you cannot alter geography.

Also there is nothing wrong with 'rural types', as you imply. Dont you live south of Mullingar? Rural by most peoples standards.

I am very proud of coming from "the Gar" and will admit its faults, but refute some of the sensationalist nonsense being posted about the town on this website. I regularly bring friends home from London (where I have lived for 7 years btw) for weekend visits. I only ever have happy faces on our nights out.

Peace agus gra.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I lived in Mullingar for almost 2 years,went out in it pretty much every Friday and Saturday night and only once in that time did I see any trouble and that was a bunch of lads that seemed to be on a stag got messy when they were asked to leave Dannys.

The way some people are posting on here you would swear it was like fookin Baghdad.
    :rolleyes:

I lived in Mullingar for almost 2 years,went out in it pretty much every Friday and Saturday night and only once in that time did I see any trouble and that was a bunch of lads that seemed to be on a stag got messy when they were asked to leave Dannys.

The way some people are posting on here you would swear it was like fookin Baghdad.
    :rolleyes:

O.K. this has got to be a level. Everyone knows that mods don't go out anywhere at weekends. Instead they sit at home moderating and dream of one day becoming a cat mod :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Skammer

I've never been more embarrassed by Irish people abroad as by people from Mullingar. I was abroad in a resort and a gang of them were out of their heads annoying everyone in the area. I was told I was lucky because half of them were already arrested and were in prison on the island. I've lived all over the world and never saw such ignorant scum. What a let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Feisar

An ould buck once told me, "there's thick and then there's Mullingar thick". And he was one thick Laois man!

First they came for the socialists...

• Advertisement

Got lost one evening driving through Mullingar town and ended up in a place called 'Woodlands', It reminded me of that TV programme 'Shameless', Such a dump!, central locks went down very very quickly I can tell ya!! :confused:

Advertisement