Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SBR Challenge 2012 & training log links

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

catweazle wrote: »
    I would have just scraped it again this year with DCM but for that damn stomach injury reaching for the Erdinger!

Finally, the truth comes out!!!!! :D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

BTH wrote: »
    3.8km/76km/38km per week averages.

I was a bit surprised when I saw tunney break it down like that. That should certainly be very achievable. Swim and Bike especially. The run too but as I've never hit it............

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

pgibbo wrote: »
    I was a bit surprised when I saw tunney break it down like that. That should certainly be very achievable. Swim and Bike especially. The run too but as I've never hit it............

Thats 4 10k runs a week - that's consistent training.

A few weeks injuries, two week holidays, little done the week of a race, a few weekends ruined by hangovers and you are playing catchup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

tunney wrote: »
    Whats this points business?

Its the primary ranking, have a look at the far right of the google doc under target points, currently its 3 points if you hit a green or 4 points if you hit a gold. Take RQ as a perfect example, her overall ranking on SBR points would have her further down the table but for her target points bringing her up the table as only 4 people have all gold in S/B/R.
    Crystal clear, yeah:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Swim and Bike golds as they stand are easy to hit, 17 and 19 golds as opposed to 7 in running. I like RQ's idea, something like
    Swim: bronze:100k, silver:200k, gold:300k
    Bike: bronze:2500k, silver:5000k, gold:7500k
    Run: bronze:1000k, silver:1750k, gold:2500k

Brone=1pt, Silver=2pt and Gold=3pt, alterntively don't worry about numbers and colours and just go out and do some training:)

I floated a 3 tier idea like this last year but now that there are more involved maybe it could be popular. We could run a poll. Popular targets*? I'd like to hear from both ends of the table :)

The things that stand out from this years challenge are the number of ladies involved, the popularity of the HIM distance and the ease of google docs. I also like the turbo/bike split. I thought I turboed a lot but Fazz takes the p!ss altogether!

How can we get AR'ers more involved... vertical kms? :)
    How can we make it even nerdier? :eek:
    How can we make it easier to explain how the scoring works ? :rolleyes:

We are down to the last few weeks, I suspect some tactical updating! I update my pair of kings only for JB to reveal a pair of Aces and then Zico to show is AK making a straight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Definitely commuting distances need to be factored in, so extra column for run commute & another on for bike commute.

Then running could be split into indoor, outdoor and trail with a link to an external sheet for cumulative meters gained through the year.

Will also need MTB to cover that off for the bikes. Also cumulative gain

Swim distances need to be broken into per stroke, drills, current SWOLF and targetted SWOLF.

How manys that? about 9 / 10 extra columns of data? Should keep us busy just updating.

Maybe an extra column for the amount of time each week updating blogs / logs / challenge sheets? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Agree with use of bronze/silver/gold system as proposed by JB. Was surprised at Tunney’s breakdown (3.8km/76km/38km per week averages), really seems very achievable. At the start of the year I thought I would definitely hit gold on the run but with not doing amarathon this year that certainly put me on the back foot.

I am amazed at the dedication to swimming in the challenge. A real kick up the ass for me so something I will need to be more focused on next year. Re bike mileage I only count road miles not turbo. I just classify turbo sessions as a class!!:rolleyes:

It would be great to see more ladies involved in the challenge. Lots of lady runners cross train whether they wish to do a triathlon or not so it’d be great to see them keep a record and try and build on bike/swim skills.

Job well done Shotgunmcos, thank you.:)

So hands up who would like to see 3 levels to the challenge for 2013, something like bronze, silver, gold?

Suggest the targets for each level (and logic, if you like)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

So hands up who would like to see 3 levels to the challenge for 2013, something like bronze, silver, gold?

Suggest the targets for each level (and logic, if you like)?

Gold, sliver and bronze awards work for me. Targets - Swim; 100km, 200km & 400km, Bike; 2,000km, 4,000km & 8,000km Run; 500km, 1,000km & 2,000km

The logic is that it's simple maths, each award is double the distance of the previous one. And also that gold awards should be hard to achieve, not easy.

P.S. I don't think I'll be catching Jackyback this year, or you Shotgun, or Fazz, for that matter.
    Unless there is a financial incentive that goes along with topping the challenge table of course.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Don't make the run easier. 3000km for gold or 2500 at least.

I was thinking 300km, 5000km and 3000km.

• Advertisement

Definitely three tier. I think run goals of: 1,000 2,000 & 3,000k.

If your doing 5,000k as a triathlete you're slipping towards the darkside and soon everything will be in miles. Don't do it! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Don't make the run easier. 3000km for gold or 2500 at least.

I was thinking 300km, 5000km and 3000km.
    dont agree...we tri athletes not runners.....gold has to be achievable in all 3...the only change i would make would be upping the bike gold to 6000

Pfftt 3000km is only 57km a week. 2500 is 48k a week. Surely ye'd all be doing around 50k a week anyway?

Edit: just seen yours :eek: yeh lazy feck, get running. ;)

Pfftt 3000km is only 57km a week. 2500 is 48k a week. Surely ye'd all be doing around 50k a week anyway?

That aimed at me again? :rolleyes:

That aimed at me again? :rolleyes:

No Mr. Paranoia it was aimed at Bryan. Going to check yours now though. :p

If your week is split up into ten session 3 swim/3 bike 3 run 1 strength/core....then the most i would run would be 40k a week....if u ran every week. u would hit the 2,000...push the gold up to 2500 and u will lose a lot of peoples interest including mine...
    200 swim 6000bike 2000k run...

The only other change i would make would be to throw out commuting miles or at the lease discount them since most of them are junk ;)

Run gold will only be increased if its 3 tiered .

Good idea to start from the likely training weeks of different folk and work from there to a target. So for example start with someone training 6 hours a week (I coach one of these ) aiming for an Olympic Distance finish as A goal. Approx 3.5km swimming over 3 sessions. 24-30 km running over 3-4 runs. 30-60km bike over 1-2 sessions and all that is a peak week. Average volume actually 75%. So at that rate with 2 weeks off hols, 4 weeks off season, 2 weeks life getting in the way. Yearly averages approx 115km swimming 1500km biking 900km running. Ok his weekly hours are very low so biking predominantly affected. If he had another 1 hour a week it would go toward the bike bringing him to approx 2300km for the year. So, on 7 hours a week he could hit swim and bike green comfortably but miss run green. That actually matches the relative pattern of the challenge at present. I know we like round numbers. If he was strictly limited to 7 hours a run target of 800km for green makes the challenge more appealing. My first suggestion would be to keep swim and bike low targets but lower the run target. My next suggestion would be to look at the upper target in a likewise fashion. 15hours a week split efficiently. Remove 3 weeks off season and 2 weeks life. Multiply by 85% as that type of person would be more consistent generally. Establish those averages as upper targets but add 2 -4% to make them a real stretch for most and a really good stretch to hit all 3. Lastly find the roundest number between the 2 for the middle target.

Would there be space for bonus points for people who are aiming for shorter distances but hit green/gold targets. BTH, for example, did one(?) HIM and has mixed with the IM athletes the whole way and if it wasn't for injury would probably have three golds. pgibbo down as OD, is just outside the top 10. Probably add a lot of work for mcos though! :pac:
    If your week is split up into ten session 3 swim/3 bike 3 run 1 strength/core....then the most i would run would be 40k a week....if u ran every week. u would hit the 2,000...push the gold up to 2500 and u will lose a lot of peoples interest including mine...

3 runs? Is that like, an easy week? :P
    The only other change i would make would be to throw out commuting miles or at the lease discount them since most of them are junk ;)

I'll have you know they're like an interval session. I should get bonuses for going for 100k spins off a base of 10k commutes :D

I don't see 2000k run as much of a challenge. I'm going off a running base with running being my main concern (obviously) so that's why I'd like it increased, but a lot of people seemed to hit or be capable of hitting it this year.

Ok the #1 purpose of the challenge is to keep a log of SBR and aim for targets. The essence of it is hitting the marks and it favours the all rounded to aid new to tri too. How??

Consider the following 2 scenarios.

Person A is an Elite runner who is putting a seriously high end focus on cycling. Does the odd swim. Gets gold in bike and run and tops them both by a clear distance. Has a great year achieving A goal of becoming national duathlon champion. Doesn't hit the bronze swim mark. Delighted with achievement.

Person B his a novice triathlete who puts a real focus on learning to swim ahead of achieving their A goal of completing the Dublin City Tri in 4 hours. Delighted with achievement. They reached all 3 bronze marks in the process.

In real life Person A is a different level of athlete and probably trains 3 times the weekly hours of Person B. However Person B finishes higher up the SBR rank by hitting targets in all SBR ...

The 3 tier IMO has something for all.

After that its just extra fun if we introduce bonuses or messing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

How about a little extra column for metres height ascended cycling?

It could be used as a tie-breaker as well!

(I don't cycle much distance but it seems to be always uphill)

• Advertisement

On the other hand, if it's not broke...

I didn't play this year really, I pulled out when I was struggling - the concern would be that it would become 'stale' at the top end if it's not changed but if it is changed it discourages people who don't do as much training.

You can see the difference already, I'd like the run changed as I don't see 2000k as much of a challenge but Bryan does. Bryan doesn't see the cycle as much of a challenge but I only reached the cycle gold because I threw in some of my commuting. Already you've got people with a different focus wanting different things. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

40km a week isn't much at all, certainly not a gold standard.

As for discounting commuting as "junk" to be honest I would probably discount alot of peoples cycling training as junk and venture a guess that alot of peoples commuting is more relevant than the junk riding that some do

Ok the #1 purpose of the challenge is to keep a log of SBR and aim for targets. The essence of it is hitting the marks and it favours the all rounded to aid new to tri too. How??

Consider the following 2 scenarios.

Person A is an Elite runner who is putting a seriously high end focus on cycling. Does the odd swim. Gets gold in bike and run and tops them both by a clear distance. Has a great year achieving A goal of becoming national duathlon champion. Doesn't hit the bronze swim mark. Delighted with achievement.

Person B his a novice triathlete who puts a real focus on learning to swim ahead of achieving their A goal of completing the Dublin City Tri in 4 hours. Delighted with achievement. They reached all 3 bronze marks in the process.

In real life Person A is a different level of athlete and probably trains 3 times the weekly hours of Person B. However Person B finishes higher up the SBR rank by hitting targets in all SBR ...

The 3 tier IMO has something for all.

After that its just extra fun if we introduce bonuses or messing!

Getting complicated and a little yawnfesty.

tunney wrote: »
    Getting complicated and a little yawnfesty.

Ah it was just an illustration to show that anyone can factor in the challenge. 7 hours a week could hit 3 targets.

Anyway.

The targets I propose for 2013

Bronze: Swim 100km / Bike 2000km / Run 800km
    Silver: Swim 200km / Bike 4000km / Run 1500km
    Gold: Swim 400km / Bike 8000km / Run 3000km

Ah it was just an illustration to show that anyone can factor in the challenge. 7 hours a week could hit 3 targets.

Anyway.

[COLOR="Sienna"]Bronze: Swim 100km / Bike 2000km / Run 800km[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="Silver"]Silver: Swim 200km / Bike 4000km / Run 1500km[/COLOR]
    [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Gold: Swim 400km / Bike 8000km / Run 3000km[/COLOR]
    as it stands only a handful of people would hit gold on one two or all three.....not really appealing going for silver...but thats just my 2 cents

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

3000kms running :eek: - wheres Bubendorfer when you need him!

You would want to be some beast to hit all three of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Anyway.

Bronze: Swim 100km / Bike 2000km / Run 800km
    Silver: Swim 200km / Bike 4000km / Run 1500km
    Gold: Swim 400km / Bike 8000km / Run 3000km

Isn't the average make up of training sessions something like 3s/3b/3r?

So you would need to be doing on avg 2.7km every swim, 52 kms every bike and 20kms every run to hit gold on each. :eek:

as it stands only a handful of people would hit gold on one two or all three.....not really appealing going for silver...but thats just my 2 cents

Does the whole "everyone is a winner" belong in sports? #SpecialOlympics

Some people are slow, some people won't do the work.

I know for me the attraction will be *having* to do work, not getting a clap on the back for a making an effort.

Isn't the average make up of training sessions something like 3s/3b/3r?

So you would need to be doing on avg 2.7km every swim, 52 kms every bike and 20kms every run to hit gold on each. :eek:

400km swimming : 7.7km a week (2-3 sessions a week)
    8000km biking : 153km a week (this will be the one I struggle with, but the most rewarding one if I worked hard)
    3000km running : 57km running a week

Yes they are tough but if everyone is just going to hit them then lets save the time and effort, all agree we are going to be awesomein 2013 and have one big reach around now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I like what Mike has proposed on the targets and second it, it makes it challenging.
    Golds should be hard to achieve were as at the moment they are set too low and are easy to hit.

Advertisement