Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P.T. Anderson's "The Master" (2012)

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Lighthouse screened it recently enough again...when it was nominated for the Golden Globes I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

I was very disappointed with the IFI actually - they announced they would get the print and show it in January - then nothing more was said. I tried to contact them a number of times on it, only at the fourth attempt to get a snotty reply that if they ever get it I'll see an announcement on twitter.

I don't mind if they can't get it - just tell us. I waited especially to see it in 70mm, and could have missed it.

Did see it in the Lighthouse though - one of the greatest cinema experiences I've had in a long time, loved every second of it. Can't stop thinking about either, and can't wait to see it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Yeah does seem to be bad form by the IFI alright. If they can't get it why not just say so & explain why not?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The IFI are appalling when it comes to public relations alas. They clearly have someone manning the Internet, but their replies are consistently unhelpful and belated.

Just glad I got to see the 70mm print when I did, although would like to see it on IFI screen one as it's a better screen than the Odeon in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

If there's a film showing in both the Lighthouse and the IFI, I now pick the former (even though it's easier for me to head to Temple Bar).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

In fairness to the IFI, there obviously isn't a lot of 70mm prints going around and they are probably pretty much at the mercy of the distributor as to whether they get it.

I caught the film while it was on in Vue. It was hard to take it all in in one viewing, though, so I'm raging I didn't get a chance to see it again while it was still on. The Lighthouse have shown it a few times since, usually on a Saturday evening when I was working.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Brilliant. Totally engrossed throughout, never once bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,223 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Watched about 75% of this today. I honestly couldn't bring myself to finish it out. Yeah, it's beautifully shot and Phoenix is outstanding in some scenes but I couldn't take any more.

Maybe the 3rd time I've not finished watching a film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Yeah Rowley, I don't think you missed anything important, Hoffman sings a weird song to Phoenix, and it's the end.

Did anyone else think that there was one particular scene in the film where it looked like Phoenix resembled Popeye the Sailor, with the half closed eye and the protruding chin? When I was watching it I had to ask myself was it done purposefully.

catallus wrote: »
    Yeah Rowley, I don't think you missed anything important, Hoffman sings a weird song to Phoenix, and it's the end.

Did anyone else think that there was one particular scene in the film where it looked like Phoenix resembled Popeye the Sailor, with the half closed eye and the protruding chin? When I was watching it I had to ask myself was it done purposefully.

Anderson has referenced Popeye before, most noticeably in Punch Drunk Love where he used the song "He Needs Me" which Shelly Duvall sung in Altman's Popeye.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Yeah I've tried watching PunchDrunkLove to the end too. Can't get there. Maybe PTA just isn't my cup of tea. Magnolia was alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dpw11104

Saw it with my wife before Christmas ,would not recommend for a date night .The reference to L.Ron was up to now a very taboo subject for anyone to take on in Hollywood.Good acting ,was not really engaged by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

catallus wrote: »
    Hoffman sings a weird song to Phoenix, and it's the end.

You're being far too analytical.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

This was quite a remarkable film, but I would never watch it again. Its a very uncomfortable watch looking at Phoenix's character slowly killing himself through alcoholism. I thought he (Phoenix) was outstanding. The guy has just gone way up in my estimation of the top male actors around, I would easily put him in the top 5. Hoffman was brilliant as usual and should probably have got the best supporting Oscar. The film had an amazing soundtrack and beautiful cinematography and should be viewed alone with no distractions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I'm planning on watching it again soon. I think it definitely warrants a second viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Really can't wait to see it again when it comes out on Blu-Ray.

I think it's a lot funnier than some give credit for too.

tumblr_micskje7ld1qa9yvvo1_1280.png
    tumblr_micskje7ld1qa9yvvo2_1280.png
    tumblr_micskje7ld1qa9yvvo3_1280.png
    tumblr_micskje7ld1qa9yvvo4_1280.png

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

e_e wrote: »

I think it's a lot funnier than some give credit for too.

Oh, totally.

The Master has a heap of funny moments, most of which no one laughed at. I chalk this down to the the film's unsettling vibe and eerie score, both of which probably made some audience members feel unsure whether certain scenes were intended to be funny or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Yeah, I found myself laughing out loud a few times too.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭El Duda

Just watched this! Great film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I didn't get this film.

Probabaly in my top 5 least favourite films

Advertisement