Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P.T. Anderson's "The Master" (2012)

Options
  • 02-01-2012 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

Won't be out until the end of the year, and we have no trailer to salivate over, but never before has a movie screamed Oscar winner as this has.

The director? P.T. Anderson

The cast? Philip Seymour Hoffman, Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams and Laura Dern.

The Plot? Set in the 1950's, a charismatic intellectual (Hoffman) launches a faith-based organization following World War II. A drifter (Phoenix) becomes his right-hand man but as the faith begins to gain a fervent following, the drifter finds himself questioning the belief system and his mentor (i.e. Scientology).

The Score? Radiohead's Jonny Greenwood (who Anderson worked with before of course in There Will Be Blood).

It would almost seem as if no other film has a chance at the Oscars next year. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Jeez... hyperbole much? all you have is a cast and a vagueish plot. >_>
    Lets not get silly until we hear more about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Given the talent involved and the subject, I definitely think this will be an Oscar contender. Although there's plenty of other hopefuls: Lincoln, The Great Gatsby, Les Miserables, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,379 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Joaquin Phoenix back acting AMEN! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Given the talent involved and the subject, I definitely think this will be an Oscar contender. Although there's plenty of other hopefuls: Lincoln, The Great Gatsby, Les Miserables, etc.

I don't think that The Great Gatsby has much of a chance, to be honest. The director (Baz Luhrmann) really only deilvers style and very little substance in most of his films (which are all mediocre).

Same with Craig Pearce. He's pretty awful.

I don't know about Les Miserables. The cast looks a bit messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

bit of a touchy subject for him i wouldve thought

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

WatchWolf wrote: »
    I don't think that The Great Gatsby has much of a chance, to be honest. The director (Baz Luhrmann) really only deilvers style and very little substance in most of his films (which are all mediocre).

Same with Craig Pearce. He's pretty awful.

I don't know about Les Miserables. The cast looks a bit messy.

Yeah, but this is the Oscars we’re talking about. They gave Crash and Chicago Best Picture.

Yeah, but this is the Oscars we’re talking about. They gave Crash and Chicago Best Picture.

True, true. However there are better contenders out there. Has an adaption of TGG ever won much Oscars?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Skinfull wrote: »
    Jeez... hyperbole much? all you have is a cast and a vagueish plot. >_>
    Lets not get silly until we hear more about it.

I wouldn't call it hyperbole dude, I'm pretty sure the academy are thinking the same thing as the OP. The Oscars really are that predictable most of the time.

Having said that, this movie could be fantastic considering those involved. I take it Hoffmans character is basically L. Ron Hubbard under a different name?

I sure hope the scientology nuts in hollywood don't try and influence this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Could not give a **** if it is Oscar worthy or not. Often times it's better when it isn't - pushing the buttons that are beyond the conservative academy.

Doesn't mean Im not rather excited to see it ;)

One of my most anticipated films of the coming year and the less Oscar talk surrounding it the better. I expect a film which will go out of its way to present a good story with characters who I can love/despise and not a generic button pusher which appeals to the delicate sensibilities of many Oscar voters.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

One of my most anticipated films of the coming year and the less Oscar talk surrounding it the better. I expect a film which will go out of its way to present a good story with characters who I can love/despise and not a generic button pusher which appeals to the delicate sensibilities of many Oscar voters.

There's quite a few scientologists in the academy voting panel would there be? If thats the case, there's a good chance this will get shunned alright now that I think of it.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    There's quite a few scientologists in the academy voting panel would there be? If thats the case, there's a good chance this will get shunned alright now that I think of it.

Call me thick, but I thought no one knew who was on the panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

The most interesting thing about the film, for me so far, is that Anderson had a difficult time getting funding for the film due to parallels between the screenplay and Scientology. This, along with the stellar cast and crew makes it one of the films I cant wait to see this year. Of course, knowing how the studios work, they wont release this film until close to Oscar season, which means we probably wont get it here until January or February 2013.

Call me thick, but I thought no one knew who was on the panel?

You could very well be right, I'm just speculating.

Trailer for this has appeared online and it's one of the more interesting I've seen in a long time. I love the tone of it and how little is shown, it's refreshing to see a trailer that isn't trying to condense the entire film into 90 seconds.

There's also a website up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,379 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Philip Seymour Hoffman robbed Joaquin Phoenix's Oscar for WTL so I hope Joaquin gets it for this :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,166 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Looks great. I wish more trailers were like that - providing a tiny suggestion of the tone and style of the film, but retaining a significant level of mystery and curiosity about the whole thing.

Would barely recognise Pheonix in that.

So good to see Pheonix back to acting. He's probably one of the only actors that can always provide a guaranteed excellent performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Sounds good. Can't wait to see Joaquin Phoenix back acting again.

• Advertisement

P.T. Anderson is back directing, and you're all more excited about Joquain Phoenix? You people are crazy :pac:

Read recently that PTA screened the film just for Tom Cruise. Apparently Cruise "has issues" with it. Ew, Tom Cruise.

Read recently that PTA screened the film just for Tom Cruise. Apparently Cruise "has issues" with it. Ew, Tom Cruise.

Link?

Link?

http://www.nextmovie.com/blog/tom-cruise-the-master/

Link is from IMDB. I think he's trying to avoid negative publicity should the "important" Scientologists object to it. Don't know why Tom Cruise is regarded as the authority though or why anyone really cares what the Scientology community thinks. It's not as though people tip-toe around the Catholic Church or Islam or any of the major religions. I suppose it's all just generating more interest in the movie though.

New trailer featuring Philip Seymour Hoffman:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Joaquin Phoenix back acting AMEN! :)

He never really stopped, should have got the Oscar for Letterman in ’09 :D

I must say I'm digging the nontraditional marketing campaign for this. Very clever drip feed of information and content.

Yea its not giving much away at all.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

New trailer featuring Philip Seymour Hoffman:

Very similar soundtrack to There Will Be Blood. Jonny Greenwood working on this?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Indeed he is.

Advertisement