Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P.T. Anderson's "The Master" (2012)

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

e_e wrote: »
    Indeed he is.

Fantastic

This has got Oscar written all over it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

So, I had a sudden urge to check if Joaquin Phoenix had restarted his career yet and came across this film that has the potential to be brilliant. The cast is strong - Philip Seymour Hoffman, Amy Adams, Joaquin phoenix etc - but the best part is that Paul Thomas Anderson is directing (Magnolia, There Will be Blood and Boogie Nights). :pac:

The plot synopsis makes it sound like a jibe at a certain celebrity religion :
    A 1950s-set drama centered on the relationship between a charismatic intellectual known as "the Master" whose faith-based organization begins to catch on in America, and a young drifter who becomes his right-hand man.

Here's the trailer anyhow, enjoy.

Edit: No idea how I missed the original topic, sorry mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,162 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

That has serious potential alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Merged.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Poster for this:

CelOF.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

The full trailer for this is gonna be out today :)

Here it is:

Looks wonderful,wouldn't be surprised if this surpasses TWBB. Phoenix and Hoffman look like they'll be certainties come Oscar time

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,168 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Looks brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

I really like the way this film is coming together, great cast too.

Could be a winner!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Damn trailer has been pulled by Weinstein.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭bertie4evr

Heres the full trailer again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Wow. This is going to be awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Haha Landry from Friday night lights

Paul Thomas Anderson’s THE MASTER Moves Up to September 14th; KILLING THEM SOFTLY Starring Brad Pitt Shifted to October 19th

Good news, everyone! Paul Thomas Anderson’s ridiculously anticipated There Will Be Blood follow-up The Master will be hitting theaters a month earlier than expected. Variety reports that The Weinstein Company has moved the pic up to September 14th from its previous release date of October 19th. The film will open in limited release on the 14th before expanding the following weekend. The possibly Scientology-centered pic stars Joaquin Phoenix and Philip Seymour Hoffman in what look to be two powerhouse performances.

http://collider.com/the-master-release-date-killing-them-softly-release-date/184343/#more-184343

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-master-early-buzz-sneak-la-screening-yields-advance-raves/#more-132814
    Here’s why you should go out to the movies on a Friday evening: last night at the Aero, in Santa Monica, audiences who turned up to see The Shining were told that Kubrick’s movie would be followed by a surprise double-feature. That second film was Paul Thomas Anderson‘s The Master, and it was projected in 70mm.
    Fantastic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Positive reactions:
    @AlmostVictor:

Don’t want to say more than a few words about it but it is an all around excellent film. If it were me, I’d put them both [Phoenix and Hoffman] in the Best Actor category but if one them is getting the supporting nod, its Hoffman. I’ve yet to see one bad PSH performance but this one may be his best. Will get nods for Picture. Good chance of winning original screenplay and acting awards.

@aaldere1:

The Master was amazing. Oscars all over this one…see The Master in 70 mm. Looked gorgeous and its the way P.T Anderson wants you to see it.

@TotallySketch:

Just saw “The Master”. A movie has never made me feel quite like this one did. I can’t describe it or even rate it. I am speechless.

@Super_Matts:

THE MASTER is…interesting…I’ll be thinking about it for days#THEMASTER70MM J Phoenix and P S Hoffman are out of this world.

@michaelwhittle:

PTA’s best. Not a doubt in my mind. Possibly the best film watching experience I’ve ever had. #THEMASTER70MM

@RobertMurphy3:

Just saw secret screening of The Master with P.T. Anderson and Maya Rudolph in attendance. It’s about much more than Scientology.

@LoganDoe

Hoffman is one of the finest actors alive. The Master is (more) proof. #themaster

@pillowfightin

Saw The Master in 70mm at the Aero Santa Monica. Surprise screening after The Shining. Its like nothing yvever seen before.

@jessecrall

The Master: B+ hazy, meandering story with beautiful staging and headed by Phoenix’s brilliant, year’s-best performance.”

@Super_Matts

THE MASTER is…interesting…I’ll be thinking about it for days #THEMASTER70MM J Phoenix and P S Hoffman are out of this world

@DubstepElitist

duuuuuude, the master was goooooooooood

Negative reactions:
    "Fanboys. Sheesh. The film is meandering, shallow, pointless and really not good."

"I challenge anyone else there last night to describe why this is worthy of any award outside of cinematography."

"Phoenix is a snarling one dimensional freak, PSH is a place holder and every other piece of talent is wasted."

"The script, if one really exists, may have been written by a (possibly drunk) 10 year old who was assigned a paper on what the first year of Scientology may have looked like. With much instruction to improvise. This is a smart way to create positive propaganda but eventually cooler (smarter) heads will prevail and see this for what it is. B-A-D."

"Subplots are set up and then discarded. Characters turn up without any sort of introduction. Motivations are frequently abrupt and unjustified. And sorry, but people didn't sling "*beep*" around so freely in the 1950s--especially in front of women."

A few scenes have popped up on youtube:

Must say the music really stands out (in a good way I mean). Reminds me a bit of Nice Cave & Warren Ellis's work in places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Must say the music really stands out (in a good way I mean). Reminds me a bit of Nice Cave & Warren Ellis's work in places.

Johnny Greenwood has gotta be in with a shout for getting an Original Score Oscar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,385 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

Mickeroo wrote: »
    A few scenes have popped up on youtube:

Apparently, the "She Wrote Me A Letter" scene was cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭AllWasWell

Really looking forward to this film, im hoping they'll show this film at the Movie Fest in Cineworld, i've my tickets booked for it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I take mild-moderate solace in the fact that if they do show it, it won't be in 70mm ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

where does have 70mm projectors? IFI?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,167 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yep IFI. Screen had some non-digital projectors as of late last year, not sure if they're 70mm though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The IFI is the only 70mm equipped cinema in the country and has been for quite some time. Most other places probably don't even have 35mm projectors anymore. And even if they did, they wouldn't have any projectionists to operate them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

It'll be a huge draw for the IFI if they screen it. I just hope that the distributors will send a proper 70MM print over.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭duckworth

I'm dying for this one. I'll be seeing Samsara there on 70mm, so looking forward to that before I see The Master.

On the IFI - went to see The Imposter in Screen 1 the other night and the sound seemed off - the voices all had the boxy sound as if they were recorded in the shower. It was weird because the picture and the rest of the music/sound effects were fine.

Anybody else experience sound problems in IFI? The Master will pretty much be my movie event of the year - don't want it ruined on me if I get to see it there!

• Advertisement

I don't know if Samsara is screening 70mm in the IFI, it says digital cinema on the website.

Haven't experienced many sound issues in the IFI - I'm seeing the Imposter tomorrow so will see what it sounds like, but it could be the simple fact that its a documentary that meant the sound mix didn't pack quite as much oomph.

Advertisement