Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve to Full-Time (see Moderator note in post#72)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭footprints

blueforce wrote: »
    I do think management is worried that If we arrest someone and it does go to court, they'll have to pay us an allowance to go, wait and see I guess.

Another problem would be if your in full time employment,an employer wouldnt be too happy if you had to attend court a few times and skip work..interesting to see would it work.Court often doesn't start on time so you could be away from work longer than expected.
    If power of arrest was to be given to Reserves under Public Order Act appearances in court would be a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭bluetop

Cross that bridge when you come to it, where there is a will there's always a way, if you had to go to court you can be summons the company has to let you attend then.

Also that's what they have Court Presenters for.

My own opinion is that I can't see it working.Im lucky to have full time job and I have aspirations for promotion,if I have to leave work on a regular basis I can kiss goodbye to my hopes of promotion if not my job.My employer would also have to find temporary cover.I presume AGS would have to compensate my employer as well as pay me an allowance.Similarly,if a reserve is in full time education and has court the same day as an exam in another part of the country what happens?AGS couldn't expect us to do that for what's a volunteer role,to possibly sacrifice a full time job/education with no guarantee of full time AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭tod1577

99% of public order is now done by FCPS as they dont even want full timers going to court for public order.There was a notice sent down re this about 6 months.Remenber we are always going to be with a full timer anyway so if it is anything serious they would take it anyway.All I could see us doing is drunken lads on the weekend that can be done by fcps.

Worry when it happens you will end up with ulcer's or worse in an early grave all this worrying, nothing has happened yet, and look at ya, are you sure this is the job for you.

If you are like this now, what will you be like when something really happens, like ya get hurt, or even worse, think about that, what will your job do then, if you are out for weeks, months due to injury.

• Advertisement

I'm not worrying one bit...applying for full time is years away no point in worrying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

When your asked to go to court, it's not like your given 24hours notice. It's set months in advance, so it would be easy to ask for the time off, a day off even. If you don't want to upset your employer. My job is pretty flexible so I could work around it. But cross that when you come to it.

Personally I don't want to be going to court,(don't mean to annoy any full timers!) the last thing I fancy doing on a day off is hanging around a court.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

msg11 wrote: »
    Personally I don't want to be going to court,(don't mean to annoy any full timers!) the last thing I fancy doing on a day off is hanging around a court.

You know msg11 I would hope you might re-think that some day. I've got to know the names and associates of some of the locals worth keeping an eye on sitting in on court-days observing and listening. I would attend the local court where I'd be stationed and just observe and listen to the comings and goings. You get a good insight to who is who and family & friends etc.

Also, if you observe the full-timers on court-days you would find very little differences in procedures and protocols on court-days by them. Their must be a huge amount of time put in initially in training full-timers for court-days as their really is very little to separate each full-timer I've seen at varying court-days.

It is a worth-while exercise I've found and I would recommend you attend at least once before you commence your training. It is good experience I've found anyway.

I will continue doing this because who knows when I may have to give evidence; and knowing the time won't be there to teach me like the full-timers with procedure and protocol, at least I won't be ignorant to the proceedings for when that day arises for me. I know I'll be instructed on what would happen on the day by the superiors if that day did arrive where I would be asked to give evidence in court; but watching now could prove to be helpful to being able to picture what I would be told by them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Munsterlad2012

Hi lads. Just wondering if any reserve on this has heard any rumour regarding a full time recruitment in the next few months.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    You know msg11 I would hope you might re-think that some day. I've got to know the names and associates of some of the locals worth keeping an eye on sitting in on court-days observing and listening. I would attend the local court where I'd be stationed and just observe and listen to the comings and goings. You get a good insight to who is who and family & friends etc.

Also, if you observe the full-timers on court-days you would find very little differences in procedures and protocols on court-days by them. Their must be a huge amount of time put in initially in training full-timers for court-days as their really is very little to separate each full-timer I've seen at varying court-days.

It is a worth-while exercise I've found and I would recommend you attend at least once before you commence your training. It is good experience I've found anyway.

I will continue doing this because who knows when I may have to give evidence; and knowing the time won't be there to teach me like the full-timers with procedure and protocol, at least I won't be ignorant to the proceedings for when that day arises for me. I know I'll be instructed on what would happen on the day by the superiors if that day did arrive where I would be asked to give evidence in court; but watching now could prove to be helpful to being able to picture what I would be told by them.

What is the procedure for going into a hearing? Can you just walk in off the street? I have never though of it from that angle, Don't get me wrong, if I was ask to give evidence in court by a full timer. I would have no problem going in on my day off, I do realize that full timers do this regularly on there days off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 hobby bobby

Hi lads. Just wondering if any reserve on this has heard any rumour regarding a full time recruitment in the next few months.

Munsterlad don't want to burst your bubble but recruitment may be several years away. Rumours pop up every week about this but it ain't looking good. Like previous threads on this discussion keep your options open it could be years away before any intake.

Munsterlad don't want to burst your bubble but recruitment may be several years away. Rumours pop up every week about this but it ain't looking good. Like previous threads on this discussion keep your options open it could be years away before any intake.

How's things hobby bobby Iv heard all the rumours too before but this time I was told by two inspectors. Also Alan shatter stated in his last speech at the last graduation that the next graduation will be 2015. If that is the case there would need to be an intake this year.

I would say that was before the sh1t hit the fan with the debt of the country, and what he prob said the next intake would not be till 2015, that would be more like it, at the moment they haven't two penny's to rub between them.

Plus the 1.25billion having to be paid out this month to bond holders, and the talk of a second bail out needed, dont hold your breath on this happening anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Corruptable

msg11 wrote: »
    What is the procedure for going into a hearing? Can you just walk in off the street? I have never though of it from that angle, Don't get me wrong, if I was ask to give evidence in court by a full timer. I would have no problem going in on my day off, I do realize that full timers do this regularly on there days off.
    Anyone can walk into any of the Courts (except Family Law,and certain Commericial cases which are held in private or "in camera" as provided in Article 34.1 of the Constitution. I've often saw members (in uniform and off-duty) come into the court and sit to watch affairs in the public gallery.

When I've time off from college and have nothing to do, I often attend court to watch proceedings and watch theory being applied in practice.

Anyone can walk into any of the Courts (except Family Law,and certain Commericial cases which are held in private or "in camera" as provided in Article 34.1 of the Constitution. I've often saw members (in uniform and off-duty) come into the court and sit to watch affairs in the public gallery.

When I've time off from college and have nothing to do, I often attend court to watch proceedings and watch theory being applied in practice.

I'll have to find out more about this, I think the court has moved in Dublin anyone know if it has moved around the corner or is it still in the same place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 hobby bobby

I hope your proved right Munster lad, if this is the case it would be great for the country and for all reserve members waiting for a chance. I don't think it'll happen but sure ya never know

Have you read this article from another post

Think this article will answer your recruitment questions

Written Answers - Garda Recruitment
    Thursday, 1 December 2011

131. Deputy Paschal Donohoe Information on Paschal Donohoe Zoom on Paschal Donohoe asked the Minister for Justice and Equality Information on Alan Shatter Zoom on Alan Shatter his plans for Garda recruitment in 2012; and if he will make a statement on the matter. [38169/11]

Minister for Justice and Equality (Deputy Alan Shatter): Information on Alan Shatter Zoom on Alan Shatter The moratorium on Public Service Recruitment continues to apply to An Garda Síochána and no date has been fixed for future intakes into the Garda College. A decision on when recruitment will recommence will take into account the rate of retirements in the Garda Síochána and Government targets, set in the context of the agreement with the EU and the IMF, to reduce the numbers of public servants.

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2011/12/01/00134.asp

Was talking to a Sgt in the Reserve section of HQ today, he said no way there will be a recruitment this year for full time service.

Was talking to a Sgt in the Reserve section of HQ today, he said no way there will be a recruitment this year for full time service.

That's no surprise looking at garda numbers,I've spoken to them before and on one occasion I was told not to get my hopes up because even when recruitment does start again it'll be very small intakes

footprints wrote: »

That's no surprise looking at garda numbers,I've spoken to them before and on one occasion I was told not to get my hopes up because even when recruitment does start again it'll be very small intakes
    Well Garda reserves should be seriously considered for full time positions.

• Advertisement

And I really thought they would of went down that road to cut costs on advertising in the press etc. can't see why not when that's what they are doing in the Uk at the moment.

Its crazy,you could have a reserve who joined in 2006 next campaign could be as far as 2015/2016 so ten years experience wont mean a thing if he/she doesn't place high enough in aptitude test.
    Only a small percentage of future full timers will be former reserves as we'll only represent tiny percentage of applicants.
    Take example of 1000 sitting appitude test 20 of them reserves..100 go forward to interview, a reserve might not even be in that 100,crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

Nothing to say that those 'regulations' won't change when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hill St Blue

CO19 wrote: »

I agree...who knows what changes in regulations may/may not happen. Just because it is set out a certain way now, does not necessarily mean it will remain this way, and personally I think that recruitment through the Reserves would be a good thing, for many reasons that others (and myself) have outlined previously.

CO19 wrote: »

I agree...who knows what changes in regulations may/may not happen. Just because it is set out a certain way now, does not necessarily mean it will remain this way, and personally I think that recruitment through the Reserves would be a good thing, for many reasons that others (and myself) have outlined previously.
    If they recruit full time members directly from reserves they will cut cost of advertising in national press, by using internal news letters in each station staff notice board, cut costs of having public appointments carry out interviews, and cut the cost of providing new uniforms to new recruits when the reserves can use what uniform and equipment they already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 mac22

If they recruit full time members directly from reserves they will cut cost of advertising in national press, by using internal news letters in each station staff notice board, cut costs of having public appointments carry out interviews, and cut the cost of providing new uniforms to new recruits when the reserves can use what uniform and equipment they already have.

http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2012-01-17.1381.0&s=garda+recruitment#g1383.0.r

Dont think it does in this response !!
    Alan Shatter (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael)2057The moratorium on Public Service Recruitment continues to apply to An Garda Síochána and no date has been fixed for future intakes into the Garda College. A decision on when recruitment will re-commence will take into account the rate of retirements in the Garda Síochána and Government targets, set in the context of the agreement with the EU and the IMF, to reduce the numbers of public servants.
    The regulations governing recruitment to the Garda Síochána would not permit recruitment to be limited to members of the Garda Reserve but the regulations specifically allow the Public Appointments Service to give due recognition to any satisfactory service by a person as a reserve member of the Garda Síochána.

bluetop wrote: »

Dont think it does in this response !!
    Alan Shatter (Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael)2057The moratorium on Public Service Recruitment continues to apply to An Garda Síochána and no date has been fixed for future intakes into the Garda College. A decision on when recruitment will re-commence will take into account the rate of retirements in the Garda Síochána and Government targets, set in the context of the agreement with the EU and the IMF, to reduce the numbers of public servants.
    The regulations governing recruitment to the Garda Síochána would not permit recruitment to be limited to members of the Garda Reserve but the regulations specifically allow the Public Appointments Service to give due recognition to any satisfactory service by a person as a reserve member of the Garda Síochána.
    There's 1000 reserves in the country. I'd say when they recruit full time again they will take in 150 recruits. And out of them I'd say they will only give 20 positions to reserves.

• Advertisement

There's 1000 reserves in the country. I'd say when they recruit full time again they will take in 150 recruits. And out of them I'd say they will only give 20 positions to reserves.

Or maybe the other way around, you must remember that reserves 90% of them would be within the age frame for going full time.

Advertisement