Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip-Hop 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭weemcd

Gimme Liquid Swords II and new OutKast, and I'll be a happy man

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

In some Doomtree release news, LazerBeak and DJ Plain Ole Bill are releasing LavaBangers soon.
    LAVA BANGERS 4 LYFE

_beak_lavabangersCover_wO_sticker_400.jpg
    Lazerbeak and Plain Ole Bill (super producer and internationally touring DJ, respectively) are undisputed masters of their crafts. It is our good fortune that these two great and busy men found the time to meet, consume a considerable amount of Guinness ale, and develop a shared artistic vision: LAVA BANGERS.
    When their meetings first began (in Beak's basement studio, while Brittany was at work), Lazerbeak had 150 beats stored in the dark and mysterious heart of his MPC. From this wealth of material, Beak and Bill trimmed, honed, and cut, never showing signs of weakness or fatigue. When their labors were complete, they were left with 20 of Beak's best beats, sequenced and blended into a seamless project that plays-front-to back as a continuous, unified whole. Light the fire in the study, slip on your satin robe, pour yourself a 151-and-soda, tear into the Pop Rocks. It's time for LAVA BANGERS.

Listen to "Cement Blocks" and "Knight Fighter" to get an idea of what all this means.

Picture_6.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭HovaBaby

I heard Detox is supposed to be coming out in April...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

HovaBaby wrote: »
    I heard Detox is supposed to be coming out in April...

well i heard it was meant to be coming out last december, so yeah.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Brother Ali is recording an album with Jake One. There are also rumours of another Brother Ali/Jake One album, but with the addition of Freeway in the line up.

As far as I know on the Killer Mike/El-P thing, they only recorded 3 songs together for an upcoming Killa Mike album. So i wouldnt get your hopes up.

In relation to the new Wu member albums that are being talked about. I wont e getting my hopes up, I've heard so many bad Wu solo albums over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭HovaBaby

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

1st of April :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

We heard it was coming out in 2003, then 2005, then ….

He should have released it in 2006, whole 7 year thing and Aftermath was riding very high at that time.

Got this is an email today, and got a little aroused.
    The News:
    News today hit HipHopDX that one of Detroit's biggest production names just got bigger: Apollo Brown announced that he has completed his full length collaborative album with legendary New York emcee OC (Word...Life, Jewelz). The album titled "Trophies" will be out March 27th on Mello Music Group.
    The Album: b8j9_VVS0450_1.jpg

Apollo Brown has been locked away the last 6 months working on an amazing emcee/producer collaboration with the legendary OC. After trips back and forth between Detroit and NY, the album is in the final stages of mastering. Being that they're friends and each a big fan of the other, the album was fluid in the making. The project was conceptualized in New York and then completely recorded in Detroit. The duo decided to keep the album pure Apollo & OC with no features at all. Each of the 16 songs have a different concept and feel with an overall sound that is straight to the point Hip-Hop, no gimmicks. Trophies will be released on Mello Music Group March 27th. Check the announcement that debuted on HipHopDX http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.18202/title.apollo-brown-oc-to-release-collaborative-album-trophies
    Apollo Brown Catalog:
    Apollo Brown has stormed the scene since winning the Detroit Red Bull Big Tune Championship in 2009 and then signing with Mello Music Group. In 2010, he released his debut The Reset, followed by Brown Study (with Atlanta MC Boog Brown), then the classic Gas Mask (with his group The Left). In 2011, Apollo released the wildly successful instrumental project Clouds and followed up with the gritty Daily Bread album (with Hassaan Mackey). 2012 kicks off Apollo's 3rd year on Mello Music Group and the release of his biggest project yet: Trophies (with OC).

Buy Apollo Brown CDs & Vinyl here:
    http://www.undergroundhiphop.com/store/results.asp?searchby=Artist&keywords=apollo+brown
    Listen to the Mello Music Group catalog here:

One of the best MC's (should be on the under-rated thread!) and one of the more exciting newish producers around.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Frank Ocean's debut is now near the top of my list for eagerly awaited albums in '12. Should be very good, if Nostalgia is anything to go by.
    OFWGKTA's Frank Ocean reveals that his Def Jam debut is dropping this spring 2012.

2011 was the year for Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All's resident crooner Frank Ocean, earning critical acclaim with his Nostalgia, Ultra and placements with Jay-Z and Kanye West. Now, the New Orleans, Louisiana-born singer has revealed that 2012 will be the year of his Def Jam debut.

According to a recent interview with BBC News, Ocean said that he and label Def Jam are preparing to release his commercial as-of-yet untitled debut this spring 2012. Although Ocean kept tight lipped about the project and whether it would feature any of his OFWGKTA brethren, he did say that although Def Jam had frustrated him in the past - even prompting him to leak Nostalgia, Ultra without their consent - the storied label is fully backing the LP.

"[It felt like Def Jam was] signing a kid with dreams and talent with no intention of following through," he said. "[But now] we're cool. There is a new album coming. I'm super proud of it."

Frank Ocean most recently collaborated with Queensbrige legend Nas on his upcoming album Life Is Good, alongside Golf Wang's Tyler, the Creator and Hodgy Beats. The full interview with Ocean can be seen at BBC News's website.

Here's the link to the interview to the BBC interview. He seems like a pretty down to earth guy, the polar opposite of the rest of Odd Future.

Havent listened to this yet, only found out about it:

Mr. Muth****in eXquire - Merry eX-Mas & Suck My Dick

http://exqomaniarules.bandcamp.com/album/merry-ex-mas-suck-my-dick

Homeboy Sandman has also released his debut EP on Stones Throw called 'Subject: Matter' which I need to check out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

can't wait for new albums from:

Method man
    Wu
    Mackelmore
    AOTP
    Snoowgoones
    Mc Eiht and DJ Premier
    Akala new album hopefully be dropping in 2012
    Mobb deep supposedly dropping a follow-up to Black cocaine

not sure about Detox , kinda got feed up waiting for this , question is , will it actually be worth the wait??????????????????
    I'm sure there will be many more that will tickle our fancy

Some confirmed release dates:

January 17
    Necro - The Murder Murder Kill Kill EP
    Juvenile - Rejuvenation
    Dizzee Rascal - Boy In Da Corner
    ATG - The Susan Sarandon Story
    Koncept (Brown Bag AllStars) - Awaken

January 18

JTheS - The Last Days

January 23
    Sha Stimuli - The Calling

January 24
    40 Glocc - New World Agenda
    Lazerbeak (Doomtree) - Lava Bangers
    Pete Rock & CL Smooth - The Main Ingredient (Deluxe Edition)
    Wiley - Evolve Or Be Extinct
    Planet Asia - Black Belt Theatre

January 27
    Lord Finesse (D.I.T.C.) - The Art Of Diggin: Blue Note State Of Mind (Mini LP Cardboard Gatefold) (Limited Edition)
    January 31
    AraabMuzik - Instrumental University

February 14

Nicki Minaj - Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded
    M-Phazes & DJ Rhettmatic of Beat Junkies - Phazed Out
    Sean Born - Behind the Scale
    Various Artists (John Legend, The Roots, Wyclef, etc.) - Soundtrack For a Revolution

February 20
    Yelawolf - Radioactive (Deluxe Edition)

February 21
    Joe Budden - Mood Muzik Box Set
    Monica - New Life

February 28
    Ja Rule - Pain Is Love 2
    Gensu Dean - Standard Life
    Lee Bannon - Fantastic Plastic
    Madchild (Swollen Members) - Dope Sick
    Stones Throw Records & Minimal Wave Records - The Minimal Wave Tapes Vol. 2
    Estelle - All Of Me
    Copywrite - God Save The King
    Obie Trice - Bottoms Up
    Kid CuDi & Dot Da Genius - WZRD

March 6
    Pep Love (Hieroglyphics) – Rigmarole

March 13
    B.o.B. - Strange Clouds

March 27
    Apollo Brown & O.C. - Trophies
    DJ Premier & Bumpy Knuckles - The Kolexion
    Gift Of Gab (Blackalicious) - Logical Progression

March 2012
    T.I. - Trouble Man
    Chris Brown - Fortune

April 2012
    Cam'Ron - Untitled

Koncept, Lazerbeak, Planet Asia, Apollo Brown & OC, Premo and Bumpy Knucks and Gift of Gab are the ones that I'm most looking forward to.

There is a track or two floating around from the Planet Asia album that are dope. I used to listen to a lot of his stuff wheh he first came on the scene with Rasco and Cali Agents, but he started to release wack stuff after that. Looks like he is back on form.
    Mc Eiht and DJ Premier

I serisouly doubt that we will see this. MC Eiht has started to release/leak some new tracks, none of them produced by god.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

the best beat iv heard so far in 2012.

Obie trice and ja rule are still around?

Mad child, gab, premo and DITC are what I am most looking forward to of whats announced above.

hrsmn need to release an album.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

has there been anything decent released yet this year? have da head in da books havent time to be searchin around

has there been anything decent released yet this year? have da head in da books havent time to be searchin around

Schoolboy Q and Alchemist/Oh No anyway.

K'naan has a 5 track EP released on iTunes today.

Heard the 1st song ft belly furtado wasn't great IMO but the other 4 could be worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭HATCHET IRL

just put schoolboy q on da mp3 player before postin earlier :), sounding pretty good. must check da others later.

I've heard a few reports that Detox has been given a release date of 4/20, that's the 20th of April for us non Americans ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I've heard a few reports that Detox has been given a release date of 4/20, that's the 20th of April for us non Americans ;)

skepticat.jpg

How many times have we heard reports like that, I wouldn't look much into it ,

The same thing happened last year when Just Blaze put out that video with Dre saying "4/20, baby. 4/20, I’m comin'".

Then there is the fact that all albums in America are released on a Tuesday. There doesn't seem to be a specific reason for it but a few a mentioned here. 4/20 while being the perfect day in a chronic-marketing sense is a Friday this year due to the leap year so I reckon there is no chance at all of him releasing it that day.

The only thing we can expect on 4/20 is the sequel to Cover Coup from Curren$y and Alchemist I reckon, and frankly at this stage I'd nearly prefer that over Detox.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Definitely false. Like Jimmy mentioned, Dre and Just Blaze appeared in a video last year saying "4/20" but Dre's reps immediately denied that he was talking about the release date for Detox. Despite what everyone has said about it over the years I always believed that Detox would come out but now I genuinely believe that it will never be released.

10 years later and hundreds (if not thousands) of scrapped songs, 10+ leaked tracks, several snippets, two official singles with two big budget videos and countless confirmed guests/producers/ghost writers have amounted to nothing. Then there's Dre and Jimmy who are completely reluctant to talk about the album in any press interviews. Jimmy wants to sell Beats, Dre wants to take a break from music. Detox is not coming out in 2012, absolutely no chance.

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    10 years later and hundreds (if not thousands) of scrapped songs, 10+ leaked tracks, several snippets, two official singles with two big budget videos and countless confirmed guests/producers/ghost writers have amounted to nothing. Then there's Dre and Jimmy who are completely reluctant to talk about the album in any press interviews. Jimmy wants to sell Beats, Dre wants to take a break from music. Detox is not coming out in 2012, absolutely no chance.

What can I say they are making me even more wealthy than I ever thought I would be. Can't believe people are stupid enough to buy them, especially at that price :pac:.

A lilst of 100 albums we should see this year
    - Ski Beatz - 24 Hour Karate School Presents Twilight - DD172/BluRoc
    - DJ Premier + Bumpy Knuckles – The Kollexxxion – Year Round
    - DJ Premier + KRS-One – Return Of The Boom Bip – Year Round
    - KRS-One – Just Like That
    - Sean Price – Mic Tyson – Duck Down
    - Xzibit – Napalm
    - Nas + Common – Nas Dot Com
    - Dr. Dre – Detox – Aftermath
    - B.o.B. – Strange Clouds – Atlantic
    - T.I. – Trouble Man - Atlantic
    - Big K.R.I.T. – 4evaNaDay (Mixtape)
    - Big K.R.I.T. – Live From The Underground – Def Jam
    - Asher Roth – Is This Too Orange – Def Jam
    - Kid Cudi and Dot Da Genius - WZRD
    - Nas – Life Is Good – Def Jam
    - Jay Electronica – Act II: Patents of Nobility (the turn) – Roc Nation
    - J. Dilla – The Rebirth of Detroit
    - Crooked I – Million Dollar Story
    - Prodigy of Mobb Deep – HNIC 3
    - Mobb Deep – Mobb Deep
    - Killer Mike – R.A.P. (Rebellious African People) Music – Grand Hu$tle
    - Ghostface Killah – Supreme Clientele Presents Blue & Cream: The Wally Era - Def Jam
    - Ghostface Killah + MF Doom – Doomstarks – Nature Sounds
    - Rick Ross – God Forgives, I Don’t – Def Jam
    - Action Bronson + Party Supplies – Blue Chips – Fool’s Gold
    - Action Bronson – Commander’s Palace Mixtape
    - Statik Selektah + Bun B – Untitled LP
    - Statik Selektah + Termanology – 2012 – Showoff
    - Statik Selektah + Styles P – Untitled LP
    - Statik Selektah + Strong Arm Steady – Stereotype
    - Maino – The Day After Tomorrow
    - N.O.R.E. – S.U.P.E.R.T.H.U.G. – Thugged Out Militatinment
    - Pete Rock + Camp Lo – 80 Blocks From Tiffany’s
    - 50 Cent – Fifth Studio Album – Interscope
    - Alchemist + Evidence – Step Brothers
    - Alchemist + Curren$y – Re-Conversionalize
    - Alchemist + Kool G. Rap – ????
    - Alchemist + Action Bronson – ?????
    - Alchemist + Freddie Gibbs – Devil’s Palace
    - Freddie Gibbs + Madlib – Madgibbs
    - Pete Rock – Petestrumentals II
    - Curren$y – Muscle Car Chronicles – DD172
    - Raekwon – Only Built For Cuban Links 3
    - D-Block + Ghostface + Raekwon + Cappadonna – Wu-Block
    - Redman – Muddy Waters 2
    - Method Man – Crystal Meth
    - Redman + Method Man – Blackout! 3
    - G.O.O.D. Music Vol. One
    - Immortal Technique – The Middle Passage
    - Brother Ali – Mourning In America and Dreaming In Color
    - Joe Budden – The Great Escape
    - Slaughterhouse Shady Records LP
    - Busta Rhymes – E.L.E. 2 – Cash Money
    - Demigodz – ????
    - Lil Wayne – I Am Not A Human Being 2
    - Lil Wayne – Rebirth 2
    - Emanon (Aloe Blacc + Exile) – Bird’s Eye View
    - Q-Tip – The Last Zulu
    - Masta Ace + MF Doom – Ma Doom
    - El-P – Cancer For The Cure – Definitive Jux
    - Consequence – Get Even – Bandcamp
    - Vinnie Paz – The Priest of Bloodshed – Enemy Soil
    - Army Of The Pharoahes – In Death Reborn – Enemy Soil
    - Copywrite – God Save The King – Man Bites Dog
    - O.C. + Apollo Brown – Trophies – Mello Music Group
    - Rick Ross + Drake - Y.O.L.O. (You Only Live Once) Mixtape
    - Talib Kweli – Prisoner of Conscious
    - Blu + Madlib – UCLA
    - Blackstar – Black Star Aretha Mixtape
    - Showbiz and AG – Mugshot Music
    - Joell Ortiz – The Life and Times of Sebastian Rios
    - Freeway – Diamond In The Ruff
    - Ryan Leslie – Les Is More
    - Nicki Minaj – Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded
    - Lupe Fiasco – Food and Liquor 2
    - Lupe Fiasco + Pharrell – ????
    - Ludacris - Ludaversal – Def Jam
    - Re-Up Gang – Long Live The Caine Mixtape
    - Clipse Reunion LP
    - NYG’z – Year Round LP
    - ¡MAYDAY! – Take Me To Your Leader - Strange Music
    - De La Soul – You’re Welcome (?)
    - De La Soul Are First Serve LP
    - Kool G. Rap + Necro – The Godfathers – Psycho+Logical-Records
    - Statik Selektah + Action Bronson – New Jack City: Chopped and Screwed
    - Too $hort – No Trespassing
    - David Banner – The Make Believe Album
    - Stalley – Savage Journey To The American Dream

Wow - There is a ridiculous amount of potentially great albums in that list even when compared to 2011.

El-P has posted that he has finished recording his new album 'Cancer For Cure'. This is awesome news.

• Advertisement

Big K.R.I.T. has released the first single off his upcoming mixtape "4Eva N a Day". As usual he produced it as well. Nice jazzy feel to it with the saxophone playing. Really looking forward to his mixtape and then the album later on in the year.

Also it's great name for the song when you look at the description he gives for it below. "Y'all wanna win? Put Boobie in."
    the 1st song i wanted 2 release from #4evaNaDay is called Boobie Miles. Its about over coming all the obstacles that block your dreams, the sacrifices that come with how hard you have to go to obtain your goal, giving your all no matter what the situation, the only difference between a winner N a loser is a winner plays until he wins - K.R.I.T.

Advertisement