Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip-Hop 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

pretty good track

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Kurrupt and Daz have changed so much in the past 20 years though, thier voices, delivery and subject matter have all changed. in my opinion, not for the better. They have both slipped alot, perhaps with a few high points along the way.
    Perhaps Dre and exec producer will pull a decent project together and cut out some of the sh*te.

Just remeber that being exec producer is a different story to producing songs on an album.
    i think that the RZA and his brother still get exec producer credits on Wu affiliate albums that they have not touched.

Oh, that A$AP track is corny as hell. Did he honestly go into a studio, hear that beat and think that it's straight fire? That has radio play and royalties written all over it.

I think Kurupt was pretty good in the few tracks he did with HRSMN but I have not heard any of his other stuff and I don't think I have heard any recent Daz. They are of course going to change a lot in 20 years but with the hunger to record together again with Dre I think it will be interesting.

Yes true it might just be more of a nod from Dre and his name on the album but I doubt it. They are established artists and while a Dre co-sign is still worth a lot I think he will have a proper exec producer role in it.

A$AP is a twat, I don't think he puts much thought into anything tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

new nas, newer version of another black girl lost. i think its fairly good tbh

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think Kurupt was pretty good in the few tracks he did with HRSMN but I have not heard any of his other stuff and I don't think I have heard any recent Daz. They are of course going to change a lot in 20 years but with the hunger to record together again with Dre I think it will be interesting.

Yes true it might just be more of a nod from Dre and his name on the album but I doubt it. They are established artists and while a Dre co-sign is still worth a lot I think he will have a proper exec producer role in it.

A$AP is a twat, I don't think he puts much thought into anything tbh.

On HRSMN, I think he was also good, but alot of that would have been trying to keep up with the other MC's around him. On stuff outside of that, he got very lazy and dragging out his lines to make verses.

Not sure if we will see the HRSMN album this year now, Ras Kas has left them.
    new nas, newer version of another black girl lost. i think its fairly good tbh

Such a terrible terrible hook, otherwise it's decent.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    On HRSMN, I think he was also good, but alot of that would have been trying to keep up with the other MC's around him. On stuff outside of that, he got very lazy and dragging out his lines to make verses.

Not sure if we will see the HRSMN album this year now, Ras Kas has left them.

Such a terrible terrible hook, otherwise it's decent.

True, keeping up with the Canibus, Killah Priest and Ras Kass is very difficult but he held his own.
    HRSMN are definitely dead, Ras leaving only confirms it.

Doing a DPG album will be much different to other work though, definitely looking forward to it hopefully it will be good.

On HRSMN it is a shame they split up they had so much potential. They could have been Slaughterhouse except various problems with Shady/Aftermath and the internal problems.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

That new Nas song, Jesus :eek:

Worst beat I've heard all year, awful hook, the verses are decent though, and AFAIK it's not gonna be on "Life Is Good"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Literally nothing good about that nas song, im not looking forward to his new album if this is the standard of rap we'll probably see on it.
    The hook was disgraceful, the verses were mediocre at best, the beat was shockingly shít.

Premo better get working with this lad before he releases another poxy song like that.

Pretty average.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Very disappointing from Nas.

lads this is nas he hasnt a good album in literally years, his music has been of this standard for a long time its nothing new. I never expect anything amazing from nas , i just take it for what it is and the odd time he comes up with a gem.
    like conor said its average but i still like it in fairness, just down to taste i suppose.

I think illmatic cursed nas though, the lost tapes was the closet he'l ever get to it imo and that was still no where near it. Nas traditionally bar illmatic and the lost tapes gives us 2 or 3 excellent songs followed by a steaming pile of sh*t that would bore the t*ts of anyone, thats my honest opinion of most of his albums.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't agree that Nas has been that bad for years. His catalogue speaks for itself.

That said that song is average, not bad just average. It could be released by 100s of other rappers and most people would not pay attention.

Nas is held (consistently) in high regards by hip-hop fans and at least one of everybody's favorite rappers. That is not off of 1 album and a few songs, despite what Jay-Z said.

7 platinum albums and 2 gold albums (that got everybody talking) from an artist who in no way could be accused of "dumbing it down" or trying to be commercial is pretty amazing and very consistent and that is just his actual albums.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

lads this is nas he hasnt a good album in literally years, his music has been of this standard for a long time its nothing new. I never expect anything amazing from nas , i just take it for what it is and the odd time he comes up with a gem.
    like conor said its average but i still like it in fairness, just down to taste i suppose.

I think illmatic cursed nas though, the lost tapes was the closet he'l ever get to it imo and that was still no where near it. Nas traditionally bar illmatic and the lost tapes gives us 2 or 3 excellent songs followed by a steaming pile of sh*t that would bore the t*ts of anyone, thats my honest opinion of most of his albums.

Bar 'I Am...' - which was cursed by bootlegging - from Illmatic to God's Son Nas has consistently released quality albums. He went off the deep end after that somewhat but most veterans do. So yeah...no.

I wouldn't agree that Nas has been that bad for years. His catalogue speaks for itself.

That said that song is average, not bad just average. It could be released by 100s of other rappers and most people would not pay attention.

Nas is held (consistently) in high regards by hip-hop fans and at least one of everybody's favorite rappers. That is not off of 1 album and a few songs, despite what Jay-Z said.

7 platinum albums and 2 gold albums (that got everybody talking) from an artist who in no way could be accused of "dumbing it down" or trying to be commercial is pretty amazing and very consistent and that is just his actual albums.

i agree, he is held in high regards and rightfully so. im a big fan myself but when it comes to making music as a whole he struggles in my opinion, I always have a nack of finding the better part of his albums boring and to be honest hard to finish.

Nas's albums always have way too much filler for my liking followed by a few bangers , thats not enough imo. Theres always that flash of excellence about him but again i just think he's been struggling for a long time.

i wouldn't judge him by his albums by sales either but id agree he keeps it hip hop and isn't afraid to try new things while keeping his genre roots about him like say the distant relatives album with damien marley in which i enjoyed a lot (i know a few here dont like it) but i love reggae and hip hop so it was great to see them both combine and actually make a pretty decent album.

im still looking forward to the new album, as i am and always will be a fan of his but iv said it here before a few years ago, my problem with nas is his albums have too much filler/duds and its been a regular occurrence in most of his recent albums imo.

i agree, he is held in high regards and rightfully so. im a big fan myself but when it comes to making music as a whole he struggles in my opinion, I always have a nack of finding the better part of his albums boring and to be honest hard to finish.

Nas's albums always have way too much filler for my liking followed by a few bangers , thats not enough imo. Theres always that flash of excellence about him but again i just think he's been struggling for a long time.

i wouldn't judge him by his albums by sales either but id agree he keeps it hip hop and isn't afraid to try new things while keeping his genre roots about him like say the distant relatives album with damien marley in which i enjoyed a lot (i know a few here dont like it) but i love reggae and hip hop so it was great to see them both combine and actually make a pretty decent album.

im still looking forward to the new album, as i am and always will be a fan of his but iv said it here before a few years ago, my problem with nas is his albums have too much filler/duds and its been a regular occurrence in most of his recent albums imo.

It was written and Illmatic are the only nas albums i can listen to in full, everything else is just average. I loved his work with Damien Marley, it just sounded so right.

It's mainly his production that puts me off him, that's the one thing that puts me off a lot of his work. He needs production like illmatic.

I'll be interested to hear his album with common that he's meant to be doing. that should be good anyway.

Don't get me wrong though, he's still one of my favourite rappers even though only 2 of his albums were appealing to me, Illmatic alone is better than about 80% of the music released in the past 5 years.

Orizio wrote: »
    Bar 'I Am...' - which was cursed by bootlegging - from Illmatic to God's Son Nas has consistently released quality albums. He went off the deep end after that somewhat but most veterans do. So yeah...no.

thats your opinion mate. your personal preferrence towards his work doesn't speak for us all, dont lay it down like its gospel and come across all high and mighty.

comes across right ignorant.

I loved his work with Damien Marley, it just sounded so right.
    ye the 2 had a great connection, really worked and sounded well together. Id love to hear some more of them together in the future tbh.

If you think Nas has fell off I don't know how you still manage to listen to Eminem or 50.

If you think Nas has fell off I don't know how you still manage to listen to Eminem or 50.

where did i said he has fallen off? i said iv a problem with his work as a whole. Even if i did say he fell off that doesn't mean i cant still be a fan and listen to his music.

imo nigg*r was terrible so was hip hop is dead and so was street disciple, no good in having 1 or 2 good songs on an album for me that doesn't cut it in fact i end up hating the albums more for it. Nas is not immune to criticism and bar distant relatives his last 3 solo albums have been so so poor.

if anything i dont know how you can slate eminems recent work and not cop it yourself with nas's last few albums. :)

Well, agree to disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Illmatic has been a blessing and a curse for Nas. It's one of the greatest albums ever, in any genre (for me), but it was also his debut album. Anything he makes thereafter is going to seem sub-par on that basis. I don't think that everything that he has released has been just average since Illmatic, I think he's released some great stuff since, and if it was anyone else making it, I think people would give it more credit. I do think though that it doesn't matter how good it is, it'll pale in comparison to Illmatic. Everything he does is compared, so nothing he does will ever be good enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭pecker1992

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcgEUJ3rTK8

Nas will never drop tracks like this again......shame hes probably the most talented rapper alive today.....its the change in music overall though....hip hops changing...premo beats arent gonna cut it anymore (sad as that is to say)...every artist now has to choose to adapt their style somewhat or gracefully fade out..

pecker1992 wrote: »

Nas will never drop tracks like this again......shame hes probably the most talented rapper alive today.....its the change in music overall though....hip hops changing...premo beats arent gonna cut it anymore (sad as that is to say)...every artist now has to choose to adapt their style somewhat or gracefully fade out..

If anything premo beats will bring him back to light, can't see how they won't cut it :confused:

And every artist has adapted their style to what?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

Preem said last week on the radio that the Nas and Premier album is coming "real soon".

http://rapradar.com/2012/04/12/dj-premier-on-the-combat-jack-show/

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭pecker1992

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    If anything premo beats will bring him back to light, can't see how they won't cut it :confused:

And every artist has adapted their style to what?

well i mean to get more recognition than just the hip hop community...i should have stated that sorry :)...for example em changing on recovery....it was a relevance move...as far as im concerned relapse wipes the floor with recovery...recovery was a pop album....rekapse had ingenious rhyme schemes :)

pecker1992 wrote: »
    well i mean to get more recognition than just the hip hop community...i should have stated that sorry :)...for example em changing on recovery....it was a relevance move...as far as im concerned relapse wipes the floor with recovery...recovery was a pop album....rekapse had ingenious rhyme schemes :)

I'm not sure eminem had to adapt, he could sell literally anything he produces and go at least double platinum no matter how **** it is. he chose to sound that way. but i certainly see where you're coming from man :)

Illmatic has been a blessing and a curse for Nas. It's one of the greatest albums ever, in any genre (for me), but it was also his debut album. Anything he makes thereafter is going to seem sub-par on that basis. I don't think that everything that he has released has been just average since Illmatic, I think he's released some great stuff since, and if it was anyone else making it, I think people would give it more credit. I do think though that it doesn't matter how good it is, it'll pale in comparison to Illmatic. Everything he does is compared, so nothing he does will ever be good enough.

I agree with a lot of what you said but honestly man his last 3 albums were bad, there's no skipping around it IMO.

Agree with illmatic being a curse though and also agree with it being one of the best albums ever made period ! In any genre.

Still looking forward to the new album and will still end up buying what I like of it as I do any album these days on itunes, I just hope as a fan nas can make a good album as a whole again and not just the usual couple of good tracks followed by filler material.

thats your opinion mate. your personal preferrence towards his work doesn't speak for us all, dont lay it down like its gospel and come across all high and mighty.

comes across right ignorant.

:pac:

I agree with a lot of what you said but honestly man his last 3 albums were bad, there's no skipping around it IMO.

...nice to see you changing your argument to something actually accurate. ;)

Just come of the high horse is all I'm saying, no need to come across like that and just post as if your word is final and blank someone's opinion just because you don't agree.

Are or did you not use to be a mod here?

• Advertisement

It was written and stillmatic are every bit as good as illmatic when you take out the "omg he was -2 when he wrote it and it was his debut" reactions.

Also track for track and as an album Gods son is also every bit as good as Illmatic imo.

Advertisement