Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BHAA 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Great race today - thanks to all at the BHAA and Garda AC. The 3rd time up that hill into the wind was a killer, but the brack and tea made up for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭caseyjones1

This was my first BHAA race, and I've signed up for the year. Thoroughly enjoyed it. My club-mate came third over all (for the wimmin) and I came 24th for the girls, not as fast as I would have liked but not a bad day out.
    The all you can eat for a tenner spread afterwards was the business! But oh my, the wind! the hills! Not for the faint hearted this xc malarkey :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,133 ✭✭✭plodder

This was my first BHAA race, and I've signed up for the year. Thoroughly enjoyed it. My club-mate came third over all (for the wimmin) and I came 24th for the girls, not as fast as I would have liked but not a bad day out.
    The all you can eat for a tenner spread afterwards was the business! But oh my, the wind! the hills! Not for the faint hearted this xc malarkey :D
    That was the toughest BHAA XC course by far I'd say. The next one in NUI Maynooth is much more civilised by comparison. You'll do a better time then more than likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Just a quick question...

How do you get into the leagues? Is it automatic? I've done two races now but aren't in any of the one related to my standard (or any not related).

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Just a quick question...

How do you get into the leagues? Is it automatic? I've done two races now but aren't in any of the one related to my standard (or any not related).

You only get league points from your 2nd race onwards, You should see your name in one of the leagues when they update for the Garda race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭clear thinking

Just back training properly a week training properly being sick for months... welcome back to XC! The elevation on that was basically 3 times up the khyber (no jokes in the peanut gallery) and the wind was tough. As usual brilliant organisation and brack. The standard seems to be up on last year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

P2260367.JPG

Car window stickers are available to all at the Maynooth race (03/03/12) & mighty mugs for those lucky enough to win a spot prize. If only we had more traffic wardens in our midst we could say the sticker allows you to park anywhere!

432248_10150564145692377_375711882376_9113990_2002558693_n.jpg

Get to Maynooth on Saturday for a great 2 (ladies) or 4 miles of cross country running. This historic, pretty location is just off the N4 with race HQ in the old college campus. Paul Buckley, Ronan Kearns & Ray Hynes took the gold, silver & bronze in the mens race last year while Fiona Mahon, Adrienne Jordan & Crona Brady were the top three women. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭dub8

AJCOT wrote: »
    Get to Maynooth on Saturday for a great 2 (ladies) or 4 miles of cross country running. This historic, pretty location is just off the N4 with race HQ in the old college campus. Paul Buckley, Ronan Kearns & Ray Hynes took the gold, silver & bronze in the mens race last year while Fiona Mahon, Adrienne Jordan & Crona Brady were the top three women. :)

hey , could you please clarify the start time for saturdays race , the bhaa annual calender says 11.00am and the flyer on the web says 11.30 and 12.00.
    Thanks !:)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

dub8 wrote: »
    hey , could you please clarify the start time for saturdays race , the bhaa annual calender says 11.00am and the flyer on the web says 11.30 and 12.00.
    Thanks !:)

I will confirm this tomorrow, but I'm reliably informed that the ladies 2m is at 11:30hrs and mens 4m is at 12:00hrs.

• Advertisement

11.30 for the Ladies & high noon for the Mens!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

Enjoy this one lads and keep a sticker for me - I'll be on the road to Ballycotton for the weekend when you're pulling on the spikes. I briefly considered a stop-off in Maynooth on the way down but common sense prevailed and I'll concentrate on recovering in time for Swords the following weekend instead!

For those hardcore cross country disciples, we promise plenty muck on Saturday but we will have showers (both indoors & outdoors) to ensure you don't go home dirty!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 Bobgeldof

I'm looking forward to the Mens 4 Mile Cross Country tomorrow. This is one of the few BHAA races that i havent run.
    Does anyone know about the course? Fast, slow ,hilly?
    Is it 1 lap or more? I didnt see any links on BHAA website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Very flat, muddy in some areas. Four laps.

gerard65 wrote: »
    Very flat, muddy in some areas. Four laps.

Small lap to start.....

Who mentioned muck? It's hotter & drier than July as I leave for the race!

Mighty race in Maynooth with 258 runners in a windy & sunny day. Well done Eddie, Maurice, all at AIB, NUI & the BHAA team. The mounds of muck didn't materialise, I'll listen to weather forecasts from other continents in future.

Get to Dublin Airport on Saturday for a challenging 2 or 5 mile cross country race on the ALSAA course. Last year, 225 ran with Aoife Brady, Fiona Mahon & Crona Brady the top three women while Mick Clohisey, Simon Ryan & Cillian O'Leary led home the men. Eugene Foley 086 3835695, Pat Carroll 086 4003387 & Gerard Martin 087 2132244 are the contacts. No luggage restrictions apply & all post race food is free!

They've moved the entrance to ALSAA, and it's not too well sign-posted currently. So, watch out for that. If coming from the M1, you turn left at the lights just before the main ALSAA building (ie. head for long term car park/car rental). There's a new roundabout and entrance into ALSAA there.

• Advertisement

Saturday will be a balmy 11 to 15 degrees (hotter than July) according to the Met.Office. Who needs to fly away?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

11.30 and 12.00 start times for the 2M and 5M races at ALSAA tomorrow

Big thanks to Gerard, Eugene, Pat, BHAA and all the volunteers for organising a great race today, Plenty of brack afterwards. Some great prizes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Another great BHAA race. Have never seen this course in such good condition, normally it can be quite mucky but it was very good underfoot. Numbers may have been slightly down on previous years.

Very well organised, great venue, plenty of brack and very good prizes.

Still injured so didn't race but went along to support a few others. Another well organised race and I must say, the lady who does the commentating is brilliant and great to listen to.

One question, and I raised this before kind of in a post after the Garda race. Is the standard too high for newcomers? I've no problem being in the bottom percentages and it gives me something to aim for each race to move up the standards. But a cursory glance at results (particularly the womens) and the slower people don't turn up again after one race.

Another point is the number of blokes who were running on the course during the womens race. Nothing to do with the organisation just some peoples manners I guess.

Great day though and there seemed to plenty of food around after.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

One question, and I raised this before kind of in a post after the Garda race. Is the standard too high for newcomers?

I think the issue is more that newcomers are unlikely to run cross-country. Looking at the polls from last week, loads of people will run road races, but far fewer will run XC (or track). The numbers at the BHAA XC races seem to be up on last year, but the biggest races last year were the road races - K-Club 10k, RTE 5 mile, Dunboyne 4 mile.

It's a related problem, I suppose. Newcomers think that track and XC are for better runners, so don't show up.

DNF for me on Sat. I've had trouble with the right ankle, and the rough ground on part of that course was worse than I expected - had to pull up on the first lap.

RayCun wrote: »
    I think the issue is more that newcomers are unlikely to run cross-country. Looking at the polls from last week, loads of people will run road races, but far fewer will run XC (or track). The numbers at the BHAA XC races seem to be up on last year, but the biggest races last year were the road races - K-Club 10k, RTE 5 mile, Dunboyne 4 mile.

It's a related problem, I suppose. Newcomers think that track and XC are for better runners, so don't show up.

That's fair enough. I guess what would be more interesting is how many runners having done the road races then continue on to do the XC the following year. I would guess that as numbers are up there's a few.

My first year doing XC and I'll be giving track a lash too. My perception would be that track is definitely for the faster runners though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The BHAA track races are divided into smaller groups based on your BHAA standard. For example, in the Trinity 800m race last year there were 8 men in standards 19-21, so they had their own race.
    In the Aviva mile race in Irishtown, when there were different standards in the same race the faster runners were handicapped, eg standard 15 went out, then 14 10 seconds later, then 13.

Advertisement