Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BHAA 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Nialler73

Great race, really enjoyed it... the conditions were good craic, although I saw a few casualties. Was it a wee bit short? I pb'd so just wondering...

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭rdunne

Nialler73 wrote: »
    Great race, really enjoyed it... the conditions were good craic, although I saw a few casualties. Was it a wee bit short? I pb'd so just wondering...

A bit short. About 4.85 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

tis a bit short alright but XC races are never accurate . I think if its more than 200 out its too much. I would never bother with the garmin or the watch for XC .

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭AJCOT

The Garda cross country race is in the Phoenix Park on Saturday 18th. 310 ran last year. There is a combined 11.30 start with two miles for the women & double that for the men. In 2011, Kate O'Neill, Aoife Brady & Fiona Mahon led the ladies home while Mark Hoey, Ray Hynes & Mick Traynor were the first trio home in the mens. Get there early, registration closes at 11.10 & it's a longer trek than you think to the start line plus we expect even bigger numbers than previously. The hills are challenging but won't kill you & this is one of the most attractive parts of the Park. If you have any further queries contact either Anthony Malone on (087)2488602 or Damian Gannon at (086)8252470.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

It was showing the Swords CC in the club house after the race last Saturday. Is it going to be posted on You Tube?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

will be once i've figured out how to use iMovie - i'm refusing to RTFM.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

emerald007 wrote: »
    will be once i've figured out how to use iMovie - i'm refusing to RTFM.

Richard,

Just login to the BHAA youtube account on your IP and upload

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

There are plenty parking spaces at & around race HQ, the Garda Boat club. Avoid trying to leave the car in the Phoenix Park as ongoing road works & the 5,000 plus people expected at the "Operation Transformation" gathering (10.00 start) will make this trickier than running a four minute mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

What kind of surface are we looking at for Saturday? Are we talking 9mm spikes? 12mm?

• Advertisement

runrabbit wrote: »
    What kind of surface are we looking at for Saturday? Are we talking 9mm spikes? 12mm?

I ran the course last Saturday morning using 12mm it was a bit soft in places, the hill leading down towards the kyber rd was very soft and the 12mm were needed there....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

So who all is heading up for this? Think I am able to make it, hope that doesn't change as it's meant to be a great course.

pconn062 wrote: »
    So who all is heading up for this? Think I am able to make it, hope that doesn't change as it's meant to be a great course.

I'll give it a go again, hoping to break 30 mins ?

pconn062 wrote: »

I'll be there - I'm thinking of running with the boys this week :eek:. The longer run fits in better with my Ballycotton training. I need to change over to the 12mm spikes this evening - that's a job for in-front of the tv with a beer (beer is not part of the Ballycotton plan, I'm a little inconsistant!)

It's a mixed start tomorrow so you could just stick with the men when the course splits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Think we have a good crowd from boards coming down for tis one...I'm in anyways...

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭RoverHogan

I'm in, my first XC race since 22 years ago!

runrabbit wrote: »
    I'll be there - I'm thinking of running with the boys this week :eek:. The longer run fits in better with my Ballycotton training. I need to change over to the 12mm spikes this evening - that's a job for in-front of the tv with a beer (beer is not part of the Ballycotton plan, I'm a little inconsistant!)

Do, twice the fun & muck, will that be two runrabbits tomorrow so?

RoverHogan wrote: »
    I'm in, my first XC race since 22 years ago!

Well done, it's a good one & you may find yourself addicted tomorrow afternoon.

AJCOT wrote: »
    Do, twice the fun & muck, will that be two runrabbits tomorrow so?

Yup two of us running tomorrow, me and the faster one! I'll see you there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Very good race today. Tough wind which made the climbs hell of alot harder. Legs got a nasty shock re introduction to cross country.

Also on another note an XC race that was as advertised in terms of correct distance (bang on four miles) not something you get too often in XC races:D

The mug was also a nice touch

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

+1
    A tough race but a good one.

Tough run home too, weighed down by the small mountain of food I ate afterwards :o

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

+1

Another E10 all you can eat special from the BHAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭RoverHogan

Well done the Garda and BHAA. Those hills were tough, especially with that head wind. Nice touch with the crime scene tape marking the course!

Great race today on a challenging course in difficult conditions. Great to see such a big field out to race and a great spread afterwards as usual. Well done to the BHAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Well done to the Guards & the BHAA for another great race. Tough out there today, the wind never seemed to be on your back, it made the hills hard going. Huge turnout, I think they said around 370 runners.

Very enjoyable race today a real cross country race. Thanks to the Garda and BHAA for making it happen.
    The mug was a nice addition :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Good race and very well organised but a killer on the hills with the wind.
    Nice cup of tea, sandwiches and brack after too and the mug was a nice touch.

Is it just me or is the standard of runner at these events much higher than other organised runs? (edit: just answered my own question I guess).

Take for example todays race. I was really happy with my time. Last time out (at Tymon Park) I did the four miles in 34:53 and today, on what I think was a tougher course, I knocked over 2 mins off and finished in 32:28 and position wise 246/288. So I was in the 85th percentile (near the back!). An equivilent time (41:08) in the National Lottery 5 miler last year would have had me around the 30th percentile.

A big thanks to Anthony, Damian, the huge Garda crew & the BHAA machine for another fantastic race. 356 is a incredible number for a cross country event & only a few are run as professionally & fewer still, have an atmosphere to match it. I'm raising the mug to the next 20 years of this race.

• Advertisement

Good race and very well organised but a killer on the hills with the wind.
    Nice cup of tea, sandwiches and brack after too and the mug was a nice touch.

Is it just me or is the standard of runner at these events much higher than other organised runs? (edit: just answered my own question I guess).

Take for example todays race. I was really happy with my time. Last time out (at Tymon Park) I did the four miles in 34:53 and today, on what I think was a tougher course, I knocked over 2 mins off and finished in 32:28 and position wise 246/288. So I was in the 85th percentile (near the back!). An equivilent time (41:08) in the National Lottery 5 miler last year would have had me around the 30th percentile.

Yes the standard is much higher, the reason being mostly down to the fact that in road races you get a lot of walkers, joggers and fun runners etc so you will always have a large group behind you, whereas in a cross country race like the one today you get a lot more "serious" runners and guys and girls who race regularly, a lot of club runners and very few fun runners and basically no walkers to come in after you and make you feel better!:) It's a great incentive to train hard and move up the positions.

Advertisement