Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things will come to those who wait...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

oh no! likewise really sorry to hear that P, hope you get to the bottom of it asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I was worried when I saw some very short runs on your Strava that something might be up. Sorry to hear that.

What are you thinking of doing in the indoors? The League and/or some of the open meets? If the IT band issue clears itself up soon, you should have a bit of time to get some good preparation in.

Can see how it can be very frustrating to go from one injury in to another. Even, when I was out for a week/week and a half with a bruised rib early in the Autumn, I was chomping at the bit to get back in to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Bad luck :mad:- hopefully you are back out running soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I was worried when I saw some very short runs on your Strava that something might be up. Sorry to hear that.

What are you thinking of doing in the indoors? The League and/or some of the open meets? If the IT band issue clears itself up soon, you should have a bit of time to get some good preparation in.

Can see how it can be very frustrating to go from one injury in to another. Even, when I was out for a week/week and a half with a bruised rib early in the Autumn, I was chomping at the bit to get back in to it.

Hi Mike, was hoping to run some of the open meets, and possibly run as a guest in one or two of the league meets as well, building up to run the Leinster indoors. If I get back soon this is still possible, however when I take a break from running my fitness drops like a stone and I don't like racing unless I'm in good shape.

Well done today, I'm amazed (and slightly jealous) at your ability to run well on all surfaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

pconn062 wrote: »
    **Warning, self-pitying rant ahead**

Two and a half weeks ago I had just completed one of the best sessions I ever done, a set of half mile repeats at 5.20 mile pace which felt controlled and I was confident of a big PB over 5k. In the 18 days since I've barely run a step apart from the odd 20 minute tester run. My achilles flared up the day after the session and I reluctantly took a few days off. I never had any issues with achilles before and was cautious, it seemed more like a strain than full blown tendonopathy. Still it was slow to heal and was 12 full days before I was confident to run on it, still hoping I could salvage a few decent results.
    On Tuesday I did 30 minute run of pain free bliss, and was ready to build back into things slowly. However 8 mins into my run on Wednesday my right IT band tightened up so bad I could barely walk back to the car. I haven't run a step since, and my IT band hurts even when I'm sitting down. My physio was puzzled as to how this happened as I had barely run a step in 12 days, and I've been doing a lot of gym work strengthening the hips to avoid issues like this. So it seems like running is at least a few days away (if not weeks), and it feels like all the hard work I've put in has been lost. My fitness is gone to pot and it will be back to square one, with any hopes of a good indoor season getting further away.
    It's a cruel sport at times, and it's only when you can't do it you realise how much you miss it.

oh no - I'm just coming back the other side after 8 weeks with something innocuous.
    You can waste so much time with physio etc - If I were going through it again, I'd get a scan much earlier.

• Advertisement

oh no - I'm just coming back the other side after 8 weeks with something innocuous.
    You can waste so much time with physio etc - If I were going through it again, I'd get a scan much earlier.

And very glad I am to see you coming out of the other side of it, being injured sucks.
    I know what your saying about physios, I'm getting some dry needling done on Thursday, something which has worked very well for me in the past. If that doesn't work then I'll be going straight to the SSC to get it properly looked at.

S'pose I best stick an aul update up. Still not back running. Did my last run nearly two weeks ago and both achilles and IT band were at me so bailed. Bit the bullet and made an appointment with Dr. Miller in the SSC, got an MRI done. The result is that there is some fluid around the tendon, which is causing inflammation. Also, the posterior tib is also damaged, probably from taking the slack for the achilles. However Dr. Miller said it doesn't look too serious and he would hope to have me back doing my first run in two weeks. I don't doubt him, but I'm slightly unsure about that as, despite the fact that I've only run about 20 miles in the last six weeks, the achilles is still hurting me some days when just walking (like today for example). The rehab programme started Wednesday and starts with strength work before going onto a programme to improve "stiffness" (plyometric based). So there may be light at the end of the tunnel but I'm not overly optimistic.

The funniest part of the whole thing is for the first two weeks I was mad to get back running. But now I have zero desire or motivation to run at all. I'm enjoying the gym work, and even if I could run tomorrow I don't think I would. I'm sure the motivation will return but it's hard to keep going when you're injury prone. I will have to build up from nothing again and will miss a full indoor season (like I've missed the last two outdoor track seasons with injury) and at the minute I don't have the will to do that.

However, the gym work is going really well. I'm lifting heavier than ever before and the legs are definitely getting stronger. If I do get back running this can only help.

Merry Christmas to everyone! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Surely not from nothing P? You won't loose all your fitness in 4 weeks? Fingers crossed the rehab works & you get back to it soon.

Happy Christmas:)

Firedance wrote: »
    Surely not from nothing P? You won't loose all your fitness in 4 weeks? Fingers crossed the rehab works & you get back to it soon.

Happy Christmas:)

Thanks FD, hoping the rehab will help alright. Although it will be more like 8 weeks off by the time I get back, that's a lot for me! That, and the fact that I'm getting fat, tipped 11 stone on the scales today for the first time in years! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Thanks FD, hoping the rehab will help alright. Although it will be more like 8 weeks off by the time I get back, that's a lot for me! That, and the fact that I'm getting fat, tipped 11 stone on the scales today for the first time in years! :eek:

Last time I tipped 11 stone on a scales I was 14!! Skinny fecker!! Best of luck with the rehab P, shame to see you laid up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I know the feeling, you keep dragging up the motivation to run and you keep ending up walking home, eventually the well runs dry.
    No need to rush back, and maybe setting yourself a period of three or four weeks when you're not even going to try to run could take some pressure off..

RayCun wrote: »
    I know the feeling, you keep dragging up the motivation to run and you keep ending up walking home, eventually the well runs dry.
    No need to rush back, and maybe setting yourself a period of three or four weeks when you're not even going to try to run could take some pressure off..

You would know Ray, it's a killer. Haven't run in two weeks and have no running for the next two so that will give it a full month off. Hopefully will help.

So another year over, with some high points, but unfortunately in terms of my running, they were overshadowed by the low points. I started the year with a new 10k PB and trained really well up until I got injured in mid February. Didn't really get back running until mid April and got a few months decent training in, getting into decent shape by September. Ran a few good races, including a decent XC season. Then picked up achilles injury and spent the last two months sidelined. The whole year wasn't a write off and I did set a total of three PB's:

3k: 9.45
    4 mile: 22:48
    10K: 36:56

Not really the distances I wanted to set PB's in, but still can't complain. Got involved with a new coach which I think benefited me and will probably stick with it for the future whenever I get back into full training.

On the plus side, I got the green light yesterday to start back into training and did 12 minutes of blissful, pain free running yesterday morning. Hopefully it is the start of the better running times to come.

I have also decided as well that I am going to completely overhaul my training. I won't start proper training until I

a) am strong enough
    b) improve my running form
    c) improve reactive strength
    d) improve balance

If this takes a year and means I miss another track season, then so be it. Need to break this injury cycle or I will end up jacking it all in.

Upwards from here, Happy New Year to all! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

So another year over, with some high points, but unfortunately in terms of my running, they were overshadowed by the low points. I started the year with a new 10k PB and trained really well up until I got injured in mid February. Didn't really get back running until mid April and got a few months decent training in, getting into decent shape by September. Ran a few good races, including a decent XC season. Then picked up achilles injury and spent the last two months sidelined. The whole year wasn't a write off and I did set a total of three PB's:

Not really the distances I wanted to set PB's in, but still can't complain. Got involved with a new coach which I think benefited me and will probably stick with it for the future whenever I get back into full training.

On the plus side, I got the green light yesterday to start back into training and did 12 minutes of blissful, pain free running yesterday morning. Hopefully it is the start of the better running times to come.

I have also decided as well that I am going to completely overhaul my training. I won't start proper training until I

a) am strong enough
    d) improve balance

If this takes a year and means I miss another track season, then so be it. Need to break this injury cycle orI will end up jacking it all in.

Best of luck with man! I think you've top notch attitude towards running and your goals but I have to point what I've bolded above as the thought has obviously crossed your mind. It's probably a little cliche in our little niche sport but I believe "once a runner....always a runner" and you've obviously got a deep passion for the sport and I'd hate to see you even entertain those thoughts. Simply because, I know damn well that anything that can frustrate us to the point of even thinking about quitting means something and is important to you. Even track fairies need to learn to endure in a sport of....;) Again, best o luck for the year and hope all it works it for you man!

Signed,

A sentimental ol random drunk from the interweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

a) am strong enough
    d) improve balance

If this takes a year and means I miss another track season, then so be it. Need to break this injury cycle or I will end up jacking it all in.

Injured life really sucks. About to go out and attempt a 10 minute plod myself now, after over 5 weeks on the sidelines.

Don't rush back anyway. And definitely don't jack it in. Worst case scenario change disciplines and maybe do half marathons or whatever, but don't give up running.

Best of luck with man! I think you've top notch attitude towards running and your goals but I have to point what I've bolded above as the thought has obviously crossed your mind. It's probably a little cliche in our little niche sport but I believe "once a runner....always a runner" and you've obviously got a deep passion for the sport and I'd hate to see you even entertain those thoughts. Simply because, I know damn well that anything that can frustrate us to the point of even thinking about quitting means something and is important to you. Even track fairies need to learn to endure in a sport of....;) Again, best o luck for the year and hope all it works it for you man!

Signed,

A sentimental ol random drunk from the interweb.

Thanks for the message NE, I was similarly merry when I read this at ten to 5 in the morning so thought it best to wait until now to reply! Yeah I agree with the once a runner thing, would always be involved in the sport in someway anyway, most likely coaching. But I'm not done yet, 2016 is the year of the trier!

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Injured life really sucks. About to go out and attempt a 10 minute plod myself now, after over 5 weeks on the sidelines.

Don't rush back anyway. And definitely don't jack it in. Worst case scenario change disciplines and maybe do half marathons or whatever, but don't give up running.

Definitely no rushing going on. Each run will be getting longer by three minutes and a day off between runs. Not a hope of me changing disciplines to 1/2 marathons or marathons, I was considering the 400m actually or maybe some sort of field event. Lets see how the comeback goes first! Hope you're on the mend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Thanks for the message NE, I was similarly merry when I read this at ten to 5 in the morning so thought it best to wait until now to reply! Yeah I agree with the once a runner thing, would always be involved in the sport in someway anyway, most likely coaching. But I'm not done yet, 2016 is the year of the trier!

You took til now to sober up?! Goooood night was had so?! :D

All the best for 2016 :)

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    You took til now to sober up?! Goooood night was had so?! :D

All the best for 2016 :)

It was a great night......I think! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Definitely no rushing going on. Each run will be getting longer by three minutes and a day off between runs. Not a hope of me changing disciplines to 1/2 marathons or marathons, I was considering the 400m actually or maybe some sort of field event. Lets see how the comeback goes first! Hope you're on the mend.

Stay clear of jumping if you are looking to avoid injury. That's the type of tomfoolery that has me crocked right now.

Field events are great fun to do in competition, but I underestimated how brutal the training is on the body.

• Advertisement

So the rehab continues. Since I last posted I have completed 6 runs, starting at 12 minutes with the last one being 27 mins. A couple of things:

1. The achiles is still quite fragile and is a little tender since the last run.

2. I am embarrassingly unfit. 9 minute miles feel hard, which, considering I was running 5.50 miles as my tempo race 10 weeks ago is depressing, but not going to get bogged down.

I have become quite the expert on tendon injuries through lots of research. I'm splitting the rehab into three phases:

The strengthen phase
    The functional movement phase
    The return to full training phase

Currently I am in the middle of the strengthen phase which involves gradually loading the tendon, both with running and using eccentric and heavy, slow resistance loading. It mostly involves eccentric heel drops, some with weight and some without, and weighted calf raises using the Smith machine at the gym. Other gym work is going well, and I'm being very strict with the rehab. I'm also doing some light plyo's which are challenging and can leave the ankle quite tender. I am being very patient with this and already see it's going to be a bumpy road. I think I will have to cut back on the running for a few days to help it settle down.

In other news I am starting a sports and remedial massage therapy course in a few weeks and am documenting a lot of this stuff for a possible future case study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

In other news I am starting a sports and remedial massage therapy course in a few weeks and am documenting a lot of this stuff for a possible future case study.

Dave and Tina's?

Dave and Tina's?

The very one Luke, the same one you did? A friend of mine recommended it to me, have been interested in it for some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

The very one Luke, the same one you did? A friend of mine recommended it to me, have been interested in it for some time.

The first course I did yeah. Second to none in terms of palpation skills highly recommend it. If you ever need a body or a loan of a few books or anything drop me a shout.

The first course I did yeah. Second to none in terms of palpation skills highly recommend it. If you ever need a body or a loan of a few books or anything drop me a shout.

Thanks a lot Luke, it will be a start anyway. Should be getting a booklist out soon so will have to make a few investments. I'd be afraid to do and practicing on you, as you'd definitely know I was doing something wrong! :D

So the recovery continues.....slowly. I was ticking along nicely at the start of the month but was knocked back for a week with the same cold that half the country had. The cold was OK but the cough lingered for two weeks. I've gotten back into it and things are going well. I got four runs in this week, three 30 minute runs and one 35 minute run. I've had few twinges on and off during those runs but no pain. The pace is still woefully slow but the heart rate is coming down slowly as each run is done. I also did two days in a row for the first time on Thursday and Friday and lived to tell the tale.

The rehab and S+C are going really well, and I'm actually enjoying that aspect of training now. I'm doing two good gym sessions a week, as well as some stuff at home. The (cautious) plan for the next two weeks is to do:

Tuesday: 35 mins
    Wednesday: 30 mins
    Friday: 30 mins
    Sunday: 40 mins

Tuesday: 40 mins
    Wednesday: 35 mins
    Friday: 35 mins
    Sunday: 45 mins

That is totally dependent on how the body reacts and I'm being very easy on myself, if the body can't handle that I will take a step back. I ain't rushing this, softly softly catchy monkey. If I survive that I can start to think about adding a little spice to things.

In other news I just completed the first weekend of the sports massage therapy course, and it was a blast. We covered so much and got a great hands on feel for different massage techniques. Lot's of practice needed but I'm very excited about this.

Also, if anyone in the Drogheda/Dunleer area fancies being a guinea pig and a free massage, drop me a PM. :)

Onwards.......

In other news I just completed the first weekend of the sports massage therapy course, and it was a blast. We covered so much and got a great hands on feel for different massage techniques. Lot's of practice needed but I'm very excited about this.

2 of my running buddies in the same class :p - told 1 to look out for you.

2 of my running buddies in the same class :p - told 1 to look out for you.

I got chatting to one alright (shocking but the name escapes me now, I want to say Claire, tall, dark hair). You're name came up, in a positive sense of course! :)

I got chatting to one alright (shocking but the name escapes me now, I want to say Claire, tall, dark hair). You're name came up, in a positive sense of course! :)

Ciara

• Advertisement

So two more weeks done, but honestly, I'm not feeling any fitter. I've robbed BB's idea and taken this nice image from Strava. HR is still very high and pace is still very slow. But apart from a few niggles here and there, the achilles is feeling OK. Longest run today since November and it held up well. My left calf is currently very sore after going a little OTT in the gym on Thursday but hopefully with tomorrow off it will settle down. My HR on easy runs is still in the Marathon pace zone, which is shocking. Before I was injured MP HR was about 6.20-30 in terms of pace, now it is 8.30 pace. :eek:

This is one thing I have noticed with this injury, during time off my conditioning seems to drop very fast, much faster than other guys I know. I realise I missed a fair chunk of time but I am really struggling at the minute on runs at 8.30 pace, that seems like a massive drop in terms of fitness from where I was before the injury. I think I'm looking at 6 months to get back into any sort of shape, the very distant aim is to try and get fit for a few tracks races in July and August, but a lot of water to go under the bridge before then.

The loose plan for the next two weeks is:

Week 1

Day 1: 40 mins
    Day 2: 45 mins
    Day: 3: 40 mins
    Day 4: 50-55 mins

Week 2
    Day 1: 45 mins
    Day 2: 40 mins
    Day 3: 45 mins
    Day 4: 55-60 mins

For now I am going to stick to 4 days a week, and if I survive this I will add in a fifth day in March. Also going to try and throw in a few strides one day a week from now on, need to test the achilles at speed.

So it's progress, but slow progress. Just need to be patient, track is a long way away!

ifGc7G7.pngifGc7G7

Advertisement