Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things will come to those who wait...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Best of luck pconn :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Best of luck pconn :)

+1 best of luck lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Give it socks pconn, at least you won't need the tea cosy!

Best of luck

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Thanks guys, not feeling overly confident now after a tough week but at least there will be no wind! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Best of luck tomorrow pconn!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Best of luck tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Good time today, well done

dna_leri wrote: »
    Good time today, well done

Thanks DL, happy enough with the time, especially in January. Wish I could have closed the gap to Ecoli a little more though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

pconn062 wrote: »
    Thanks DL, happy enough with the time, especially in January. Wish I could have closed the gap to Ecoli a little more though! :)

Is the time a secret pconn? Come on, how'd ot go?:)

Is the time a secret pconn? Come on, how'd ot go?:)

Ha, not a secret at all, just too lazy to log here these days. Ran 4.27, finishing 6th out of 13. Was in next after Ecoli but 4 seconds behind him. Happy with the run, it equaled my outdoor PB and ran 10 seconds quicker than I ran in February last year, which I'm taking as a good sign. Was hoping for a small PB but hopefully that will come at the Leinster indoors in 2 weeks. Training is going well and coach is happy which is important too!

Well done yourself on your 10k PB, super run.

• Advertisement

Monday: Off

Tuesday: 53 mins easy

Wednesday

AM: 4 miles easy
    PM: 7 miles w/session

2k, 1 mile, 1200m, 800m, 400m off 3 mins recovery

Splits: 7.19, 5.45, 4.06 (through 1k in 3.24), 2.32, 67

Need to remember these splits for when we repeat the session in two weeks with shorter recovery.

Update needed!

Things have been going reasonably well. Feeling good in training but there have been a few issues. On the week before last I had to take a day off due to a small strain in my quad, it was nothing serious and I was back after one day off. Ran the Rás na hEireann 6k last Sunday, had a good run, conditions were horrendous. Very muddy and greasy and I took a bad fall on the warm up and bruised a bone (in my arse to be precise! :pac:) which didn't help. Still, stuck with lads I couldn't have stuck with last year so happy enough.

This week started off well with a good run on Tuesday and a great session on Wednesday (posted above). Was very happy with this session and it's probably the strongest I've ever felt in a session. In the first 2k rep we went through the mile in 5.52 and it felt like jogging. Did a recovery run Thursday and the trouble started. Felt a twinge in the side of my left knee. Didn't think much off it and I did a training session with a beginner club in the club. Knee was sore for the rest of the evening and still sore on Friday when I woke up so didn't run. My coach gave me a rub that night and did a little work on the knee and afterwards it felt much better. However when I ran the next day it hurt again, not terribly painful but enough to make it uncomfortable. Same story today so I cut the run short again.

So looks like some time off is needed, which is a little frustrating as I feel I am going very well. Hopefully a few days will do it, never really had knee issues before (apart from some mild pateller tendonitis) so not sure what the issue could be. The pain is confined to the inside edge of the knee, so finding something to match that symptom is difficult. So, that's the story, will try and get some physio this week and see what the story is. Hope it's nothing too serious as I wouldn't like to have to take time off as I feel a few of my road PB's are under threat if I could get a few races in. Will report back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

You running PK5K P?

tang1 wrote: »
    You running PK5K P?

If the knee clears up then I will definitely be there tang, it's one of my favourite races and there are some local rivalries to sort out! I seen you were thinking of heading up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

If the knee clears up then I will definitely be there tang, it's one of my favourite races and there are some local rivalries to sort out! I seen you were thinking of heading up?

All things going well i'll be there, looks like a cracking race. Good depth of field so i should find somebody to work off. Hope the knee is nothing serious, you have been going well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

What percentage of posts on this forum are relevant to Athletics/Running, and what percentage are people arguing nonsense? You certainly helped to keep the relevance.

Another great mod gone, thanks for all you brought to the forum pconn062.

Thanks for all the messages and comments re. the Mod stuff.

Not much to report unfortunately on the training front. Got the knee assessed and without an MRI it was tough to see what exactly was wrong but physio narrowed it down to two things, some mild cartilage damage to the meniscus or some tendonitis. Was obviously hoping for the tendonitis! Had to take 8 days off and then reassess. Did some cycling and lots of strength work especially around the quad. Went out for a jog on Wednesday and thankfully the knee held up fine. However I picked up a flu on the same day and that meant 4 days on the couch with no running or anything. Tried a jog today but I'm still no right so called it a day after 2k. The good news was that the knee stills feels fine which means I should be able to get back into training once this flu clears up (fingers crossed!).

So that's the news, it's been a frustrating couple of weeks and I've definitely lost a lot of fitness but it's a long track season and the goal races aren't until July and August so plenty of time to get fit. Will report back when there is something to report!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Good luck with the recovery pconn.

Tuesday: 33 mins easy

Today: 36 mins easy

Chest was still too bad on Monday to run but got yesterday and although it was only a short 4.X mile run it felt great to be back out, running around the hills and grass in Oldbridge. Today's run was less inspiring, roughly 15 laps around a football pitch but it was nice to do back to back runs. Chest is still not better but good enough to jog, lots of fitness lost but no issues from the knee which is great. Will jog tomorrow as well and then take Friday off as a precaution. Things will come....!

Thursday: Some easy jogging with a group I'm coaching, less than 3 miles

Friday: 40 mins easy + 1hour strength and circuits

Saturday: 45 mins "easy"

Sunday: 1 hour easy

Managed to get a semi-consistent week done after all, although it was a bit of a struggle at times. I wore my Inov-8's on every run up to Friday and paid for it a bit over the last two days. They are low with only a 3mm drop and the calves and achilles were a little tender on Saturday so reverted back to the Adrenalins. Saturday and Sundays runs were both done in Oldbridge and the hills combined with the increase in temperature meant they weren't as easy as they should have been. In fact after 20 mins today I was knackered but it picked up and felt good by the end. Still feeling very unfit though and think I need a bit more time before even contemplating a session, also any thoughts of racing I had have been put on the shelf for a while. That means for the 2nd year in a row Dunboyne will be missed but it's all about the track season now so road races will have to wait. Hopefully I can another good week in this week.

• Advertisement

Tuesday: 6 miles in 43 mins

First run since coming back where I've felt good. Weather was lovely, ground was firm and I really enjoyed this, tipping along feeling effortless.

Wednesday: 6 miles w/8x400m in 2 min cycle

Into the track tonight for the first time in a while and the conditions were atrocious. The lads were doing 12x400m in a 2 min cycle, so very short recovery and I said I would jump in and try a few. Struggled from the start, hitting a very slow 85 before getting down to 83 for the next. After this I only managed 82's and a few 81's. These felt very tough and the amount of fitness lost is staggering. Still it's a starting point and I was happy to get 8 done. Hard to believe I ran 82's for 5k before Xmas! :eek: Will take it easy now for the rest of the week, I might try a low-key Parkrun on Saturday depending on how I feel just to get a little faster running in.

Thursday: 40 mins easy recovery

Friday: 45 mins easy

Saturday: 7 miles w/Oldbridge Parkrun

Wanted to get a tempo-ish effort in for the week so headed out to the Oldbridge parkrun. Conditions were poor, the rain left the grass very boggy and the wind was extremely strong. Started nice and easily, in about 5th place but quickly moved into 2nd and then after a mile the guy in 1st died on his arse going uphill into the wind so I went into 1st and stayed there. Finished in a rather poor 19.17 nearly a minute clear on 2nd. Given the wind and poor underfoot conditions I was happy enough and the effort was correct for the time.

Sunday: Off

Usually do my long run today but forgot about the hour going forward and slept too late. No harm as I'm off work for the next two weeks so will just do it in the morning instead and use today as my rest day. Spent the afternoon at the Dunboyne 4 mile taking photos, very tough conditions and glad I wasn't racing. Nice running by the two winners Mark Christie and Sara Treacy (and our own AMK!).

Monday: 68 mins

Long run cut short due to niggle (more on that later)

Tuesday: 10k in 44 mins

Windy.

Wednesday:

Session: (2k, 1 mile, 1200m, 800m, 400m) off 2 mins recovery

Splits: 7.21, 5.50, 4.20, 2.50, 73

Track session, felt reasonably good on this and kept it very controlled. Really only pushed it out on the 400m. Had to cut cool down short due to pain in my soleus/lower calf/achilles (don't know which it is). Started bothering me at the weekend but got pretty bad on Monday and had to cut long run short. Starts out OK on run and gets worse as it goes on. It's manageable but uncomfortable at times. Not sure what the issue is, I do all the right things: stretching, strength work, balance work, icing, alternate runners. I'm considering taking a longer term break from running as I'm sick to death with all these niggles and injuries and fed up worrying about them for the sake of a hobby, not enjoying my training at the moment because of them. Have physio on Friday so will he what he says and take it from there. Over and out for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Monday: 68 mins

Long run cut short due to niggle (more on that later)

Tuesday: 10k in 44 mins

Windy.

Wednesday:

Session: (2k, 1 mile, 1200m, 800m, 400m) off 2 mins recovery

Splits: 7.21, 5.50, 4.20, 2.50, 73

Track session, felt reasonably good on this and kept it very controlled. Really only pushed it out on the 400m. Had to cut cool down short due to pain in my soleus/lower calf/achilles (don't know which it is). Started bothering me at the weekend but got pretty bad on Monday and had to cut long run short. Starts out OK on run and gets worse as it goes on. It's manageable but uncomfortable at times. Not sure what the issue is, I do all the right things: stretching, strength work, balance work, icing, alternate runners. I'm considering taking a longer term break from running as I'm sick to death with all these niggles and injuries and fed up worrying about them for the sake of a hobby, not enjoying my training at the moment because of them. Have physio on Friday so will he what he says and take it from there. Over and out for a while.

What sort of strength work do you do? Are you using weights?

Don't give up anyway. Ever runner goes through bad patches.

Might be worth paying a Strength and Conditioning coach to give you a proper programme.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    What sort of strength work do you do? Are you using weights?

Don't give up anyway. Ever runner goes through bad patches.

Might be worth paying a Strength and Conditioning coach to give you a proper programme.

I do squats, single leg squats, balance work and glute activation exercises and a few other random things. I use light weights with the squats. The issue is I have some bio mechanical issues but I'm not sure exactly what the issues are that I need to correct. There are some imbalances but again, I'm not sure what they are. Maybe a bio mechanic analysis or something would help. Looks like some time off is needed and I'm fed up taking time off and then coming back from scratch.

I do squats, single leg squats, balance work and glute activation exercises and a few other random things. I use light weights with the squats. The issue is I have some bio mechanical issues but I'm not sure exactly what the issues are that I need to correct. There are some imbalances but again, I'm not sure what they are. Maybe a bio mechanic analysis or something would help. Looks like some time off is needed and I'm fed up taking time off and then coming back from scratch.

To find out the issues you need to correct you'd have to contact am expert. That's why I'd suggest a S&C coach who can spot weaknesses and develop ways to strengthen them. Every runner has things wrong with him/her that needs to be fixed. For me, the regular trips to ecoli for massage along with the S&C coach is how I go about trying to improve weak areas. It costs money, but no more than a few heavy nights on the beer that I'm not too bothered doing these days. Depends how much of a priority it is I guess.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    To find out the issues you need to correct you'd have to contact am expert. That's why I'd suggest a S&C coach who can spot weaknesses and develop ways to strengthen them. Every runner has things wrong with him/her that needs to be fixed. For me, the regular trips to ecoli for massage along with the S&C coach is how I go about trying to improve weak areas. It costs money, but no more than a few heavy nights on the beer that I'm not too bothered doing these days. Depends how much of a priority it is I guess.

Thanks. I already spend in the region of €100 a month on physio on 2/3 sessions as well as the occasional session with my coach who kindly does it for free. Maybe a S and C coach might be worth looking into. Will have a chat with physio this week and see if he has any recommendations.

Thanks. I already spend in the region of €100 a month on physio on 2/3 sessions as well as the occasional session with my coch who kindly does it for free. Maybe a S and C coach might be worth looking into. Will have a chat with physio this week and see if he has any recommendations.

Yep athletics sure costs money! Way more than people think. The oul pair of runners, socks, t-shirt and shorts lark doesn't really apply for those pushing themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

That is the worst thing about injuries, they destroy your motivation. Keep building yourself up to go out and train, and keep getting kicked back down :( Don't know if it's better or worse that the problem is in a different area...

theboyblunder had me doing these exercises last year, very good for the achilles and soleus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Hey pconn, really sorry to hear this. I feel your frustration, especially after your early season had been going well. Best of luck with whatever you decide. Fwiw I hope you don't have to disappear for any length of time, you'd be missed.

Advertisement