Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things will come to those who wait...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Thursday: 30 mins easy + 2 strides

Friday: 20 mins easy

Two very easy runs as prescribed by the coach, tapering for a 5k! As usual in a "taper" the legs feel a bit heavy but nothing serious. Of a little more concern is my chest, it still feels tight and I have a little bit of a wheeze when I run. Really not trying to sandbag by saying this, I actually think I could run a really good time if the chest plays ball. Will be sucking on the inhaler all morning before the race, hope WADA aren't there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Best of luck P, great training block there. Give it socks, santa socks!

jebuz wrote: »
    Best of luck P, great training block there. Give it socks, santa socks!

Thanks jebuz, good luck to yourself in Waterford as well, you're in super shape.

Jingle Bells 5k

Watch time: 16:59
    Chip time: 17:01!!!

Arrrggghhhh! Damn you champion chip!

Will do a longer report later, had to bail on the beers afterwards (sorry guys) as my stomach is in bits. Going to lie down now for an hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

:eek::eek::eek: Savage running man. Congrats. Hope the stomach recovers ok.

• Advertisement

Cleanman wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek: Savage running man. Congrats. Hope the stomach recovers ok.

Thanks Cleanman, feeling a bit better now after a nap! :)

So I'll throw up a bit of a report for this seen as it was one of my goal races. Training had gone really well, the sessions my new coach was prescribing were tougher than any I had done before but left me feeling very strong. Was told I should be targeting 16.50 but I felt 17 flat was a little more realistic. Arrived nice and early after travelling up with my friend and brother and got parked with no issues. Wind wasn't as bad up there as at home but it was very cold. After a bit of standing around we headed out for a short warm up. Chest still felt a little tight but I was hopeful that it would be ok. 15 minutes to go and threw on the flats and jogged down to the start. Did a few strides and headed into the pen, plenty of room near the front and was about 5 rows back from the start.

Gun went off at exactly 11 and off we went, bit of dodging around slower runners but got into it after about 400m. I wanted a decent first k so pushed away from my bro at the start. Felt comfortable enough here and hit the first k in 3.23. Down chesterfield avenue and I pushed on from the group I was with but the next group was about 20 meters away so I was left in no mans land a little. The breeze was quite bad here but I kept working and eventually caught the group before turning left, hit 2k somewhere around here in 6.53 so a 3.30 k.
    As soon as I caught them the group start to split but I kept pushing and passed most of the guys. The wind was a little annoying here and a little doubt started creeping in but I tried to push it off and kept working. Was one my own again approaching the 3k mark which was hit in 10.23 (another 3.30k) and I caught up with Michelle McGee here. She was motoring so I just tried to stick with her. Another 500m and eventually the road started to drop. We were closing in on the next two in front and as we hit 4k (13:48, 3.25 k), Michelle put in a big push to catch the girl in front. I tried to go with her and really dropped the boot. I could see my clubmate in the next group ahead as well as Catherina McKiernan so concentrated on trying to close the gap. Closed in a bit on Michelle and the raheny girl she was chasing and at last I could here the commentary from the finish line. Last little bend and had no idea of time but sprinted as hard as I could. Still got passed here by a guy from Dunboyne but heard to commentator say something about sub 17 so floored it again. Stopped my watch with 16.59 on it, absolutely delighted (3.11 last k).

Met my bro and friends after who all had good runs and had a chat with a few boardsies, paddybarry, davemacmahon (sorry Dave if I seemed a bit out of it when talking to you!) and AMK, some great runs had by those guys too. After standing around in the freezing cold for ten minutes we jogged slowly back to the car with intentions of heading for some cake and then beers, but by the time we got to the car I was feeling really ropey, the effort started to catch up with me and I just really didn't feel good and wanted to get home (sorry again guys!). Feeling better now after a short sleep. Got the text I was expecting on the way home from champion chip who gave me a time of 17.01, DAMN THEM!! Don't know how I lost two seconds, started the watch exactly on time and as soon as I crossed the line, slightly annoying but it is what it is.

Great day, really love this race, the course is just great. Very happy with this training phase, had the exact outcome I was hoping for. Not sure what the plan is for now, will chat to the coach during the week and decide. For now, it's time for a few beers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Well done man. Cracking run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great running P, pity about that one second.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

There was a problem last year too with mine pconn, I think my text said my gun time, so I'd be inclined to take that as your first sub 17. Nice work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Great run.
    Pity about the the blockic post-race ritual :p

• Advertisement

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Great run.
    Pity about the the blockic post-race ritual :p

Indeed, although I don't think I was just as bad as blockic! Well done on toughing out your own race, 5k's are nasty when you're not at your best.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

Well done there, we had a drink in your honor - flat ginger ale for an upset stomach :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

cianc wrote: »
    Well done there, we had a drink in your honor - flat ginger ale for an upset stomach :D
    Don't lie cianc, yours had a large whiskey in it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done on a fantastic run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done pconn, thats a savage time.

Were you wearing your tea cosy, the extra weight probably cost you those 2 second :)

TbL

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Well done on a fantastic run.

Same to you TJ, a good day all round I think.
    Well done pconn, thats a savage time.

Were you wearing your tea cosy, the extra weight probably cost you those 2 second :)

TbL

Thanks TBL, the tea-cosy was ditched yesterday for maximum aerodynamic effect!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

pconn062 wrote: »

You must have shaved the facial bum fluff off to :)

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

Great running P - well deserved reward for your hard work

Duanington wrote: »
    Great running P - well deserved reward for your hard work

Thanks D, could say the exact same thing to you, great running yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I was actually going to wear arm warmers for the race on Sat, but didn't as I knew PConn was racing and wouldn't let me live it down!

Still, he looked well and at his speed he can dress however he pleases, he's up there with the best. Fantastic racing, for the few moments I could see you ahead of me, you were gliding. Great to watch.

• Advertisement

I was actually going to wear arm warmers for the race on Sat, but didn't as I knew PConn was racing and wouldn't let me live it down!

Still, he looked well and at his speed he can dress however he pleases, he's up there with the best. Fantastic racing, for the few moments I could see you ahead of me, you were gliding. Great to watch.

You sir are too kind. Great chatting to you yesterday and a very good result befitting the training you've been doing. Was glad I wore those arm-warmers by the way, was nippy up there! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭ECOLII

Only catching up on the logs now, great run man well deserved setting you up very nicely for an impressive 2015 on the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭overpronator

Congrats on a great time, well deserved.

Sunday-Tuesday: Off

Wednesday: 4+ miles

Headed into the track to help out with a few relays they were having for the kids. Got roped into running a 400m leg, conditions were awful, freezing and very windy. Was afraid of pulling a hamstring or something so didn't kill myself, did a few easy miles after seen as I had the gear on.

Thursday-Saturday: Off

Sunday: 1 hour easy

So after a week off, it was time to get the finger out and inspired by the Euro cross I headed out early to Oldbridge for a hour. Nice morning if a bit breezy, but the ground was mostly favourable apart from a few mucky spots. Didn't feel great on the first lap but things improved and by the end I was moving nicely.

So base building phase starts tomorrow, have a few different things lined up over the next 6-7 weeks but the main focus will be on getting the mileage up and setting a new level for February. Will still do some sessions but the intensity will be less. Speed will also be emphasised more, will include more strides and add a speed development day once a week. Looking forward to getting started.

Monday: Off

Had hoped to get out for a few miles but work conspired against me.

Tuesday: 7 miles in 51 mins

Easy run on grass, started nice and slow and built up the pace gradually. Finished the last two mile in the hill field, felt good on this.

Wednesday

AM: 3 miles v.easy
    PM: Session 3x(1k, 600m, 400m) off 2 mins recovery, 4 mins between sets

Splits (3.24, 1.56, 74), (3.19, 1.55. 71), (3.18, 1.54, 69)

Very easy jaunt this morning just to wake the legs up. Then this evening we headed out to the track for the last session of this year. Was hoping for something easy but coach had other things in mind. Now that we are in base building mode the volume has been maintained but the recoveries were extended. Only three of us showed up and the other two were a bit behind me so did most of this on my own. Conditions were not the best with a pretty strong wind for 150m of each lap. We were told to try and hit 79's (seconds per 400m lap) for the 1k's, then 75/76 for the 600m and then 70ish for the 400m. We were a bit cautions on the first set but the recovery was pretty generous so I pushed on a bit on my own for the next two sets. Managed to keep it fairly consistent on the last two sets and was happy with the splits. Even with the week off I still feel in pretty good nick, body feels quite fresh. Plan for Xmas is to get the miles in and throw in the odd light session, tempo/hills/fartlek. Nice way to finish off the last session of the year. Easy jogging tomorrow!

Meant to add, while doing my cool down tonight my left calf cramped quite badly, so much so that I had to stop and walk. Has never happened to me before but hope it's nothing, hopefully there are no lasting effects tomorrow.

Meant to add, while doing my cool down tonight my left calf cramped quite badly, so much so that I had to stop and walk. Has never happened to me before but hope it's nothing, hopefully there are no lasting effects tomorrow.

Ouch. :(

Calf seriously sore today, was OK by mid afternoon but during my run it threatened to cramp again on the last lap. It didn't actually cramp but left the muscle sore and it's quite painful right now. Can't understand this, never had issues with cramps before, hoping it's just a little muscle soreness and nothing more serious. Weird.

Thursday: 50 mins recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭cianc

The one and only time I had a calf tear, I thought it was a cramp and residual soreness. Best to get it checked out if it's not going away.

cianc wrote: »
    The one and only time I had a calf tear, I thought it was a cramp and residual soreness. Best to get it checked out if it's not going away.

Thanks Cian, had a chat with someone today and it seems to be just residual soreness from the cramp. Is a bit better today, I ran today and had no issues when running (cramping or pain) and is only a little sore to the touch so hopefully I've avoided anything serious.

• Advertisement

Friday and Saturday: 7 miles each day

Two identical runs, one 30 seconds quicker than the other. Pain in the calf has died down a lot thankfully, and by yesterday evening it was practically gone. Did both of these on grass to give the legs a break, legs overall are still a little tender since the track on Wednesday.

Had intended to do a long run today but we had our club Christmas party last night and I woke up today with a rare (but awful) hangover. Still suffering now so I postponed today's run, I'm off work all this week so will do it in the morning instead. A very enjoyable night but I learned a hard lesson that you can't drink very little all year and then expect to be fine after a big session! :pac:

Advertisement