Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFL DRAFT 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Heffo001 wrote: »
    Wow, some very interesting picks there. Nice idea to draft solely off tape but we all know potential and physical attributes will play a big part when draft day comes around.

Could be interesting to look back at in a few years however in order to see how the players who looked good on tape have performed relative to the players who were drafted on raw potential.

After looking at that mock I'm also becoming really intrigued with Chandler Jones. He seems to be forever on the rise and I noticed that Mike Mayock has moved him to his top DE prospect. Could be a bit of a surprise riser on draft day.

Yea he has really risen in the past few weeks. Seems he wont get past the Jets at 16 and may go higher if someone wants him more than the Jets.

It seems DE's are being pushed up the board due to the Giants Superbowl win. After all it is a copy cat league.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Anyone follow Greg Cosell
    All he does is watch tape, if you follow him on twitter he's constantly giving his opinions on players and it's based on what he sees

Here's his mock draft
    http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/04/23/cosell-talks-mock-draft/?module=HP11_hot_topics

Few shockers in there
    Well shockers is strong but it's different to most everyone elses

I love Dont'a Hightower to the Ravens though

Wow he has a thing for corners doesnt he!!

Hate the idea of Giants taking an RB in the 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Claiborourne going as third Corner, what the hell??

• Registered Users Posts: 36,131 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Unfortunately ESPN America have sent this to a user over on the NFL UK forums:

It is advertised here on their website that it will be shown, but it doesn't look too good given the above reply and the TV guide scheduling.

As far as I know, we have the following options if it's not on ESPN.

NFL.com
    Follow the 2012 NFL Draft Online with NFL.com LIVE Presented by Courtyard by Marriott: On Thursday, April 26 at 7:30 p.m. ET and Friday, April 27 at 6:30 p.m. ET, NFL.com LIVE Presented by Courtyard by Marriott provides comprehensive coverage of the 2012 NFL Draft. Host Matt "Money" Smith and analyst Bucky Brooks analyze each team's selections, while Michael Fabiano, Jason Smith and Adam Rank offer the fantasy implications of each pick from NFL Network's Los Angeles studios. On Saturday, NFL.com LIVE will stream NFL Network's coverage of Rounds 4-7 beginning at noon ET.

NFL Network Monthly Subscription for €3.49
    Forty-Eight Hours of Live "Draft Week Coverage": NFL Network provides 48 hours of live "Draft Week" coverage Monday, April 23 through Sunday, April 29. First-round coverage of the 2012 NFL Draft Presented by Verizon kicks off Thursday, April 26 at 8 p.m. ET. Rounds 2 and 3 begin Friday, April 27 at 7 p.m. ET, followed by Rounds 4-7 Saturday, April 28 at noon ET.

Of course, NFL Network is also included in your Game Pass package if you have that.

And if all else fails, you can follow the first round of the draft on BBC Radio 5 Live.

There will of course be the usual streams floating about too if you're into that.

For **** sake, really? :(

How could they not be showing this? Will Sky step up to the plate?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

nerd69 wrote: »
    :eek: no ritch eisen on nfl network??

Saw this article on SI.com comapring ESPN coverage with NFL networks
    NFL Network
    The main set on opening night includes host Rich Eisen, and analysts Mike Mayock, Marshall Faulk, Steve Mariucci and Michael Irvin. Eisen is terrific in this role and Mayock is incomparable as a draft talent, the best staffer on any network during the draft coverage. NFL Network executives remains besotted with Irvin, who will provide his usual tortured analysis.
    A news desk near the main stage will consist of a pair of excellent information gathers -- Jason La Canfora and Michael Lombardi. Deion Sanders will be on the stage and provide viewers with his usual inanity. Melissa Stark has been charged with red carpet and Green Room interviews. On Friday the main desk becomes Eisen, Mayock, Charles Davis and Brian Billick. That's a very good set.
    Weinberger is a big believer in tonnage, so LSU head coach Les Miles and Stanford head coach David Shaw will join Eisen, Mayock and Davis on the main set on Saturday. Billick will join the main set late on Saturday while La Canfora and Lombardi will be on the news desk all weekend.
    The long list of staffers that viewers will see from the NFL Network's studios in Los Angeles includes Bucky Brooks, Paul Burmeister, Charley Casserly, Fran Charles, Jamie Dukes, Michael Fabiano, Heath Evans, Scott Hanson, Kara Henderson, Adam Rank, Andrew Siciliano, Jason Smith, Matt Smith, Tom Waddle and Kurt Warner.
    Like ESPN, the NFL Network has reporters stationed at team sites, including Brian Baldinger (Eagles), Albert Breer (Colts), Jeff Darlington (Dolphins), Kim Jones (Jets), Ian Rapoport (Cowboys), Steve Wyche (Redskins), Ari Wolfe (Vikings), Solomon Wilcots (Browns), Michelle Beisner (Broncos team party) and Stacey Dales (Patriots team party)
    Inside Game: Weinberger said Irvin, Faulk, Sanders and Warner will provide perspective on players at the specific positions they played at in the NFL -- and make judgments on which current NFL player might serve as a parallel. One of the things the NFL Network promotes is its behind-the-scenes access inside the team's war rooms; network cameras will be with the Colts (who draft first overall), Rams (6), Seahawks (12), Cowboys (14), Broncos (25), Packers (28) and Niners (30).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭The Rooster

My Plan A for the draft was to record it on ESPN and watch it on Friday "as live" having avoided the internet all day.

Now that ESPN have confirmed they have no coverage I've had to go to Plan B (although still holding out the small iota of hope that either ESPN or Sky make a late announcement, but its very slim).

Some people might be able to view it live by streaming from NFL.com or the NFL network, which I'm sure will be good, but won't work for me.

So my Plan B is to record it (Sky Plus) from BBC 5 Live Extra, which is carrying it live. For those who haven't recorded a radio station from your Sky box before, you need to do a Manual Recording (i.e. manualling setting program no, start time and finish time). I need my Sky PIN number to view any manual recording, I presume that's the same for most people.

Coverage on Five Live Extra starts at 0000 (midnight Thurs night), the draft starts at 0100, and is expected to last 3.5 hours I think.

Edit: BBC 5 Live Extra channel number on Sky EPG (I think) is 0144

Mike Mayocks Top 100 players heading into the draft.

His top 10 are

1. Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
    2. Robert Griffin III, QB, Baylor
    3. Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama
    4. Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU
    5. Matt Kalil, OT, Southern California
    6. Luke Kuechly, ILB, Boston College
    7. Mark Barron, SS, Alabama
    8. Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina
    9. Chandler Jones, DE, Syracuse
    10. Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State

And the rest can be found here

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d8288a470/article/mike-mayocks-top-100-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings?module=HP11_hot_topics

Is it a surprise to anyone else to see Barron, Gilmore and Jones in his top 10?

(BTW this is not draft order just the best players)

Someone really should have told Vontaze Burfict to try fence mending alot sooner than 3 days before the draft!!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828887b7/article/vontaze-burfict-tells-critics-i-love-being-coached

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Lionbacker wrote: »
    Saw this article on SI.com comapring ESPN coverage with NFL networks

thank god ritch eisen, mike mayock and whoever they want to fill out the panel it could be some guy off the street for all i care is my fave draft team

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

HigginsJ wrote: »
    Someone really should have told Vontaze Burfict to try fence mending alot sooner than 3 days before the draft!!!

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828887b7/article/vontaze-burfict-tells-critics-i-love-being-coached

haha ya a bit to little to late i think someone had a convo with him and he was like im missing out on how much money :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Sadly the enormous wanker that is Jamie Dukes will be a proverbial shît stain on the underwear that is our TVs for the draft. The worst, most loathesome "pundit" in any sport ive ever seen.

Who does the BBC radio 5 live coverage? (who needs TV, ill have radio and boards!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

Is it a surprise to anyone else to see Barron, Gilmore and Jones in his top 10?

I see Gil Brandt has Jones ranked about the mid 40's and Barron at 19, its some difference of opinion between two analysts

OAOB wrote: »
    I see Gil Brandt has Jones ranked about the mid 40's and Barron at 19, its some difference of opinion between two analysts

Yea i'd be more agreeing with Brandt when it comes to Barron.

Most analysts are mocking Jones in the top 16 now. Some rise up the boards for him in the past month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Anyone follow Greg Cosell
    All he does is watch tape, if you follow him on twitter he's constantly giving his opinions on players and it's based on what he sees

Here's his mock draft
    http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/04/23/cosell-talks-mock-draft/?module=HP11_hot_topics

Few shockers in there
    Well shockers is strong but it's different to most everyone elses

I love Dont'a Hightower to the Ravens though

he seems to value arm-strength above all else. Even says somewhere that manning was not a spectacular passer out of college. Bit meh tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Who does the BBC radio 5 live coverage? (who needs TV, ill have radio and boards!!)

This is what I read re the BBC radio coverage:

5 Live Sports Extra will have full radio commentary from Radio City Music Hall starting at midnight on Thursday night/Friday morning and all of R1 will be broadcast live.

Darren Fletcher and Greg Brady will be in NY and draft analyst Simon Clancy from the South Florida Sun Sentinel and Sports Illustrated will be in the studio analysing the picks.

That'll be on Sports Extra (digital radio, online or through your TV) from 0000 Thursday/Friday with R1 starting at 0100. There will also be a half hour preview show on 5 Live Sport from 10pm on Thursday night with Darren, Greg and Andrew and Oliver Luck as well as Rams GM Les Snead, former 49ers GM Michael Lombardi and London's very own Jack Crawford of Penn State.

Hope you can join us!!
    @BBC5LSX

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

What time does the draft start our time? It is being streamed on the nfl website?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    What time does the draft start our time? It is being streamed on the nfl website?

1AM fri morn and yes it will be on nfl.com

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Leslie91 wrote: »
    1AM fri morn and yes it will be on nfl.com

I'm not so sure it is going to be streamed on NFL.com. They certainly have coverage of some sort analysing picks & whatever, but they were careful not to use the word stream. They did say however they were streaming day 3 where draft rounds 4-7 were being done, so I'd have my doubts about their doing it the first 2 days.

See here
    Follow the 2012 NFL Draft Online with NFL.com LIVE Presented by Courtyard by Marriott: On Thursday, April 26 at 7:30 p.m. ET and Friday, April 27 at 6:30 p.m. ET, NFL.com LIVE Presented by Courtyard by Marriott provides comprehensive coverage of the 2012 NFL Draft. Host Matt "Money" Smith and analyst Bucky Brooks analyze each team's selections, while Michael Fabiano, Jason Smith and Adam Rank offer the fantasy implications of each pick from NFL Network's Los Angeles studios. On Saturday, NFL.com LIVE will stream NFL Network's coverage of Rounds 4-7 beginning at noon ET.

I mean really!!!! What a bunch of bellends in this draft class!!

Was just talking up Burfict yesterday for at least trying to repair a little bit of his repuation he goes and fails a drug test. I dont see him getting drafted at all now. Some fall from a 1st rounder in January to going undrafted in April.

Jayron Hosley was a potential 2nd round CB and was mocked to the Lions in our forum mock draft. Not sure what affect it will have on his draft stock. He has wrote a letter to NFL teams apologising for it which either shows a smal level of maturity/regret or that he just has semi-decent advisors.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d82895e07/article/vontaze-burfict-jayron-hosley-fail-drug-test-before-nfl-draft?module=HP11_headline_stack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Uuuugh. Reports say the Jets took Trent's contact details incase they draft him and are seriously thinking about trading up for him. Fcuk off Jets. Cleveland needs Trent.

Uuuugh. Reports say the Jets took Trent's contact details incase they draft him and are seriously thinking about trading up for him. Fcuk off Jets. Cleveland needs Trent.

Wow, that would require a hell of alot of picks for the jets to move up. 1st&2nd this year and 1st and mid round pick next year i'd imagine.

Odd move when you would say the Jets need alot more than just 1 running back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

I hate the idea of a running back in the top 5. For a top 5 pick, you want a starter for the next 10 years. That's very hard to get with a running back, and there's only so much a running back can do for your offense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

Read a funny story the other day that the Dontari Poe was visiting the Eagles, and Jim Washburn was showing him the facilities. He inadvertently led him towards a group of reporters. Tried to double back and go unnoticed but it was too late, so he introduced Poe as Fletcher Cox to try and hide their interest in Poe! :P

Didn't get away with it of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Please Jets, don't trade up for a running back. Please. Too many holes in the team and how many picks have been used on RBs recently? T Rich is not the answer. I hope we go

1. Pass rusher - OLB
    2. Offensive Tackle
    3. Wide Receiver

obviously the order could change depending on BPA but these three in the first few rounds. we have a lot of picks this year and I would like to see some help from one or two of the later picks. Hell, if it goes like that the Jets could be a lot better than people are expecting. Here's to hoping !

Jets beat writer is saying it would be too pricey moving up 12 spots to get Richardson, would only consider it if he starts to slip down the board

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Damn ESPN America showing Bill Parcells Draft Confidential tonight and Grudens QB Camps all week, then not showing the main event itself. Ideally I would've recorded it and watched on Friday but now I'll probably have to stream the first hour then find out the following morning how the rest went.

Am I right in saying rounds 2 & 3 are earlyish Friday night our time, and 4, 5, 6 and 7 are Saturday evening?
    Read a funny story the other day that the Dontari Poe was visiting the Eagles, and Jim Washburn was showing him the facilities. He inadvertently led him towards a group of reporters. Tried to double back and go unnoticed but it was too late, so he introduced Poe as Fletcher Cox to try and hide their interest in Poe! :P

Didn't get away with it of course!

Or maybe it was a double bluff by the Eagles to create the impression they are interested in Poe. The misinformation efforts by teams this week know no bounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

Just purchased the NFL Network package for the month for e3.49. Had gamepass last year and it is a perfect stream through the big screen. Still not happy about the ESPN snub though.

NFLN.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭deccy15

Just purchased the NFL Network package for the month for e3.49. Had gamepass last year and it is a perfect stream through the big screen. Still not happy about the ESPN snub though.

NFLN.JPG
    Just did the same, worth payin e3.49 for in fairness!! The subscription renews every month tho until you send them an e-mail to cancel it i think!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

matthew8 wrote: »
    I hate the idea of a running back in the top 5. For a top 5 pick, you want a starter for the next 10 years. That's very hard to get with a running back, and there's only so much a running back can do for your offense.

If he can run the ball outside, between the tackles and act as a reliable slot receiver like Richardson then yeah, he's worth a top five pick to the right team. Cleveland, with their zombified offense, are 'the right team'.

I can just imagine Richardson running wild with the space Tebow would create for him, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,171 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Mayock has Bears taking Chandler Jones at 19. Hopefully not. I expected him to go in round 2 because of his injury. Plus Emery has said in most of his press conferences that he does not want to draft guys with an injury history!

But anyway, I cannot wait for tomorrow night. The Phil Emery era is well under way in Chicago. I am hoping for a major improvement in drafting which shouldn't be too hard because Angelo was so bad at it!

Advertisement