Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possibly turning much colder next week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

derekon wrote: »
    How dare you say I was exaggerating about the severe cold in Dublin! :D:D

I want a full public apology after you have read the following Irish Times article that confirms that Casement Aerodrome, DUBLIN, recorded a severely cold temperature of -15.7oC on Christmas Day 2010.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0302/1224291141232.html

Well I am waiting for the apology.......................;)

D

There was a lot colder places than Dublin ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Pangea wrote: »
    Also didn't the Greenland express come from Greenland last year :pac: (NW).

More or less. There was little, if any occurrence of the 'beast from the east' last winter. Most of the easterly flows were maritime sourced, from either the arctic north or northeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

pad199207 wrote: »
    I do agree with you on the eastern counties better placed for the real kinda snow derekon but I have to correct you on your exaggeration of -15c recorded in Dublin, yep you certainly got the snow !

How dare you say I was exaggerating about the severe cold in Dublin! :D:D

I want a full public apology after you have read the following Irish Times article that confirms that Casement Aerodrome, DUBLIN, recorded a severely cold temperature of -15.7oC on Christmas Day 2010.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0302/1224291141232.html

Well I am waiting for the apology.......................;)

D
    oh I sincerely apologize lol ;-) I completely forgot about casement lol ( casement being like the most inland part of Dublin) obviously :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

The GFS has just picked up the split polar vortex. :D (allbeit in a different time period).Stick with the ECM. Things about to get very interesting with the weather;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

About time!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Bring it on, anything seasonal will do at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭nilhg

This mornings ECM backs off a little from the (much) colder tone, to my eye anyway, there is pretty good agreement again between it and the GFS.

Cool, mild, cool, mild, cool, mild, cool, mild is the order of the day for the forseeable future by the looks of it methinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Why do you all want very low temperatures ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

Joe10000 wrote: »
    Why do you all want very low temperatures ?
    Because it's supposed to be winter, a few weeks of cold and snowy weather and then bring on the spring, it's the same in summer we all well most of us want warm sunny weather.

200motels wrote: »
    Because it's supposed to be winter, a few weeks of cold and snowy weather and then bring on the spring, it's the same in summer we all well most of us want warm sunny weather.

Thanks for coming back to me but I would be quite happy with mild all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

Does mild excite you?
    Extreme cold excites most posters here in winter.
    Ditto with extreme heat/thunder in summer etc
    This is a weather enthusiasts forum,what do you expect people to be excited about here? Mickey mouse?

The answer to your question is elementary ...if you don't dig weather or dig something else,there are 100's of other fora on boards.ie,you'll find something thing I'm sure some people here equally won't understand. :)

Well Blackius the forum is weather and the title is about the possibility of cold weather next week, there was no suggestion of any exclusivity when I started following this thread. I simply asked why everyone seems to want cold weather and I got a polite answer without any attitude, thanks anyway.

Joe10000 wrote: »
    Well Blackius the forum is weather and the title is about the possibility of cold weather next week, there was no suggestion of any exclusivity when I started following this thread. I simply asked why everyone seems to want cold weather and I got a polite answer without any attitude, thanks anyway.
    Well now you know what to expect on weather discussion fora...
    You appear to imply by not liking my answer that I have attitude :confused:
    How quaint :)

Anyhow,check any weather forum in the world and we the enthusiasts display the exact same characteristics ...as do I suspect a significant silent minority outside of these places.
    The east versus west gets better snow being an example of the way people go on about it when pushed.
    Actually I suspect Letterkenny on average sees more snow than Dublin city in a year but probably considerably less than the sally gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Joe10000, too many here think weather has to be extreme to be discussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Farmers though are excited by weather that isn't too extreme.

I want my milk collected so I am not a fan of snow or ice as it could be costly, or floods or drought for field conditions in the spring/summer/autumn period.

I don't want storms to blow down the sheds either.

But I love the weather and we have to take what we get, as Joe Bastardi says, it is the only weather you got.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

pad199207 wrote: »
    oh I sincerely apologize lol ;-) I completely forgot about casement lol ( casement being like the most inland part of Dublin) obviously :)

Apology graciously accepted :):)

Always remember that Dublin is in a prime position for snow when an easterly or north easterly wind hits Ireland. Think "lake effect" snow from the Irish Sea and you will understand what I mean :D

D

davidsr20 wrote: »
    There was a lot colder places than Dublin ;)

Well , a temperature of -15.7oC is pretty low by any standards! I understand places in Mayo and Tyrone dipped to around -17.8oC so in fairness Dublin was not far behind and don't forget that Dublin received bucketloads more snow than Galway!!! :D:D:D:D:D

D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I'm sorry lads, but i and probably many others are really wasting time loading this thread on my phone, everything is going way off topic. PLEASE can we all just stick to the rules? Only the regulars seem to be trying to keep on the point.
    /rant over.

So looks like we may see some hill snow in the NW regions next tuesday and wednesday.
    850 temps no good for anything at low levels though. I personally just want some frosty temperatures back..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

This continues to evolve. Sunday night looks interesting now with wintry showers into Western areas and some snow and wet wintry stuff. A bit from column A and a bit from column B. Let's call it "snuff":D

Recm1201.gif

Back later..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Dilynnio wrote: »
    Finally...............my evening snow dance is starting to work!

BRING IT ON! :D

Bring it on indeed, but I have heard it all before. There was a major weather warning in November wasnt there, big studio setup, the winking weatherman, the whole shebang, get your salt, get your winter tyres, get your show grips...yet it has felt like July for the past week or two.

How the actual f**ck can they get it so wrong? Are they for seerdious?

My winter tyres work fine in the 12 degree heat, thank you very much weatherman!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

don't forget that Dublin received bucketloads more snow than Galway!!! :D:D:D:D:D

To be fair Dublin got less snow than many other parts of England.

Regarding prospects of it turning colder, the mild storm and rain here is horrendous, I'd love to see a bit of frost and blue sky. Just for a break if nothing else. This weather is dismal if you live on the Atlantic coast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

snow ghost wrote: »
    To be fair Dublin got less snow than many other parts of England.
    It also got less snow than many other parts of Sweden :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

darkman2 wrote: »
    This continues to evolve. Sunday night looks interesting now with wintry showers into Western areas and some snow and wet wintry stuff. A bit from column A and a bit from column B. Let's call it "snuff":D

Back later..

The best we can hope with that setup darkman is a snowline of around 200-300 metres in the north and west, with some hail for everyone else. A huge Atlantic track will butcher the boundary layer of its cold. For the rest of the week it's back to a westerly mix of mild and not so mild, i.e. very Januaryesque.

SLP and T850 (00Z ECMWF)
    186467.png

186468.png

Su Campu wrote: »
    The best we can hope with that setup darkman is a snowline of around 200-300 metres in the north and west, with some hail for everyone else. A huge Atlantic track will butcher the boundary layer of its cold. For the rest of the week it's back to a westerly mix of mild and not so mild, i.e. very Januaryesque.

186467.png

186468.png

Really not looking good for proper sustained cold so with the Atlantic fully in charge of our weather for the foreseeable future :mad:

D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Really not looking good for proper sustained cold so with the Atlantic fully in charge of our weather for the foreseeable future :mad:
    This thread, so far, is having uncomfortable sleep and taking rice-balls. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The UK met forecast for the next 30 days is a mixture of mild, unsettled weather with cold interludes but nothing extreme.

mike65 wrote: »
    Joe10000, too many most here think boring weather has to be extreme doesn't need to be discussed.
    Fixed your post :)
    Min wrote: »
    Farmers though are excited by weather that isn't too extreme.

I want my milk collected so I am not a fan of snow or ice as it could be costly, or floods or drought for field conditions in the spring/summer/autumn period.

I don't want storms to blow down the sheds either.

But I love the weather and we have to take what we get, as Joe Bastardi says, it is the only weather you got.
    True.
    I think your milk collections are safe enough for the foreseeable though unless you are over quota ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Head wrote: »
    Bring it on indeed, but I have heard it all before. There was a major weather warning in November wasnt there, big studio setup, the winking weatherman, the whole shebang, get your salt, get your winter tyres, get your show grips...yet it has felt like July for the past week or two.

How the actual f**ck can they get it so wrong? Are they for seerdious?

My winter tyres work fine in the 12 degree heat, thank you very much weatherman!
    not by met eireann there wasn't,were did you get the weather warning from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

delw wrote: »
    not by met eireann there wasn't,were did you get the weather warning from?

I think he means people on here ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ger1524

this oul' postman loves the mild weather and long may it continue.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement