Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who grew up in Ireland calling it Boxing Day?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I'm not familiar with this phenomenon unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

number10a wrote: »
    I actually find it quite sad that people openly admit to calling it Boxing Day "cos I heard it on the telly". I've no problem with people calling it Boxing Day, but seriously, are you really that impressionable??? You call it Boxing Day simply because you watch British TV. No other reason. No English mother, no growing up in England/Australia/Canada/Donegal. Just the telly. By that logic you should also go around saying "innit?" and "Giz a butchers!" too, and have a strange mix of different English accents proportionate to how often they are broadcast on the TV.

This is a very good point, well said and so true.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

Have to admit to growing up calling it Boxing day due to parental influence...and maybe TV. Grew up in border county with more BBC/ITV than RTE so maybe that's it. Now being more aware & sometimes more PC would generally call it Stevens day.

..... but the real vile should be directed at those who know better and call it Boxing day for effect! (Like the pseuds who call JFK airport - Idlewild )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

number10a wrote: »
    I actually find it quite sad that people openly admit to calling it Boxing Day "cos I heard it on the telly". I've no problem with people calling it Boxing Day, but seriously, are you really that impressionable??? You call it Boxing Day simply because you watch British TV. No other reason. No English mother, no growing up in England/Australia/Canada/Donegal. Just the telly. By that logic you should also go around saying "innit?" and "Giz a butchers!" too, and have a strange mix of different English accents proportionate to how often they are broadcast on the TV.

I watched a lot of subtitled films when I was younger so now I only speak French. Can't help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I'm aware of a well known (UK in origin) clothing retailer whose Irish stores had posters advertising their sales as starting on "Boxing Day"... if you can change the "£" signs to "€"s it can't be that hard to change it to "St. Stephen's Day", can it?

• Advertisement

Niles wrote: »
    I'm aware of a well known (UK in origin) clothing retailer whose Irish stores had posters advertising their sales as starting on "Boxing Day"... if you change the "£" signs to "€"s it can't be that hard to change it to "St. Stephen's Day", can it?

You'll be surprised (not) by just how many people in the UK who don't know it's not called Boxing day here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

You'll be surprised (not) by just how many people in the UK who don't know it's not called Boxing day here.

What's more strange is that it you'd think it would be more apparent, after all the song goes "Good King Wenceslas once looked out, on the Feast of Stephen"...

Anyone know if the term "(St.)Stephen's Day" is used at all in the UK, in addition to "Boxing Day"?

Reminds of an incident I inadvertently caused in primary school: I said I heard Stephen's Day was called Boxing Day in England (how it came up I can't remember) - this resulted in an impromptu boxing match between some of my classmates, which ended in tears and said classmates getting a bollocking from the teacher... kids...

Moral of the story, don't give a holiday a name that is homonymous with a combat sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I think the more important issue is why the hell do people care so much that this thread reached 11 pages?

I think the more important issue is why the hell do people care so much that this thread reached 11 pages?
    Bunch of wind up merchants, the lot of yiz... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

I suspect to the likes of kattie taylor or, willie "big bang" casey every day is like boxing day

• Advertisement
Advertisement