Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who grew up in Ireland calling it Boxing Day?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Up to the 1990s, St Stephens day was widely used....but even by then, with the influence of uk tv- Namely BBC 1, 2 ITV in the 70s and 80s, - many were starting to use the term Boxing day. RTE and the Irish news media would only ever refer to it as St Stephens day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

As a non-religious person, I call it the 26th of December.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

Zebra3 wrote: »
    As a non-religious person, I call it the 26th of December.

Well done, here's a cookie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I call it yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Wrenboys day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I still call it St. Stephen's Day and I get funny looks when I say it over here. I usually relent and say the day after Christmas Day

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭pavcro10

I use both. It's probably been answered already. But why is it called boxing day anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

It amuses me to see people in Ireland get upset at this sort of thing.

Many of the traditions we observe at this time of year come from across the water - it was Dickens' Christmas Carol that re-popularised the season into a time of festive cheer with seasonal food and so on.

So much of what we observe culturally comes from the UK and yet we try to condemn those who would say Boxing Day.

I mean how many people watched TG4 and trad music on Christmas Day and how many watched BBC/ITV/Sky?

Either one does for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I call it Boxing Day due to watching British channels on TV. It became a habit and has now stuck with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

It's Boxing Day in other parts of the world e.g. Canada and Australia too. No big deal really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

I am London-Irish, born in London to Irish parents. When living in London my parents always called the 26th December Boxing Day. But when they went home they called it St. Stephens Day. I have always done the same. When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Personally I don't take offence if people call it Boxing Day, it does not matter to me, but when in Ireland I always call it St Stephens Day, as I would not wish to offend the Irish that are traditional. I think its nice that people still wish to procure Irish traditions, as these days Ireland has become more European and multi cultural. I feel that the influences of the UK and Europe have diluted Ireland's identity, so its important we remember our traditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I call it Boxing day (I'm from donegal) Its what i've always called it since i can remember. My grandparents were from NI and maybe it came down from there with them, dunno and dont care.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

st stephens day 26th of december in the west on the later gregorian calandar ,the 27th of december for the orthodox eastern churches on the older julian calandar,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I call it boxing day. Always have and always will. I'm Irish too.

Boxing day rolls of the tongue better.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

is Boxing day here in UK. But seriously why would anyone care?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I don't know anyone who says Boxing day apart from myself and I'm usually corrected and told it's St Stephen's day in Ireland.

Of topic how many posters watched the Queens speech on Christmas day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

I'm from West Donegal and have always called it Boxing day. My (Dublin) hubby gets his proverbials in a twist about it sometimes, but I don't care.

I neither know nor care where the name came from nor why they use it in Donegal, we just do, and sure if it gets a few Dubs hot under the collar and ranting on boards all the more fun :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I say St. Stephen's Day because I'm Irish. I've never heard anyone Irish call it 'Boxing Day' to be honest. :)

Posy wrote: »
    I say St. Stephen's Day because I'm Irish. I've never heard anyone Irish call it 'Boxing Day' to be honest. :)

I'm Irish too but i say boxing day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

I think I remember yrs ago that they're used to be a boxing match on the tv on the 27th of December.

Could be going crazy tho

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

cloneslad wrote: »
    The majority of my friends call it boxing day, as do I. Even friends who consider thmselves to have strong republican ideas.

It's not an anti Irish thing by the british, it's just what the day is called there (and in other commonwealth countries) so we shouldn't be offended by it. We call it boxing day because we were brought up watching BBC, UTV and Channel 4, the Irish stations used to have a pretty poor signal (still do if you don't have saorview)

This for me.

I rarely watch RTE (though more due to quality rather than signal strenght) so everything I watch refers to it as Boxing Day; Boxing Day Football being top of the list. Given I spend so much time on English forums as well, it's easier to call it Boxing Day. It's more convienent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

Some people might just as well call themselves English for the degree of English cultural saturation in their lives. It does however help to explain why they go on rants against culturally Irish things like the Irish language on other fora. Some serious inferiority complex going on there.

The very idea that a term being used on British tv would result in an Irish person who watches those programmes using the term is fascinating in an 'I can't believe some people are so simple' way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    An episode of EastEnders?

if ye saw the amount for women in Carlow town fighting on "Boxing Day" night you'd see why it's called boxing day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 427 ✭✭GKidd

Don't disappoint these people. Punch them in the face if they continue this madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

Seanchai wrote: »
    Some people might just as well call themselves English for the degree of English cultural saturation in their lives. It does however help to explain why they go on rants against culturally Irish things like the Irish language on other fora. Some serious inferiority complex going on there.

The very idea that a term being used on British tv would result in an Irish person who watches those programmes using the term is fascinating in an 'I can't believe some people are so simple' way.

Same could be said though for the rampant 'Americanisms' that are alive and well in everyday conversation in Ireland (sadly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Johnny Foreigner

hondasam wrote: »
    I don't know anyone who says Boxing day apart from myself and I'm usually corrected and told it's St Stephen's day in Ireland.

Of topic how many posters watched the Queens speech on Christmas day?

Its funny you should ask that.
    My parents were Republicans, and they would always watch the Queens speech on Christmas Day! I always found that ironic as they professed to hate the Queen and Margaret Thatcher when I was a child.
    My Aunt and Uncle were Volunteers during the Troubles, and they too watched the Queens speech every year. My Mother and my Aunt seemed to take great pleasure in it.

GKidd wrote: »
    Don't disappoint these people. Punch them in the face if they continue this madness.

I hope you are not one of those hypocrites who cheer on Man Utd or Liverpood down the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Spunge wrote: »
    only 364 more days till christmas. woot.

Yeh I wonder what head liners will play at the next one, maybe Radiohead or Pink Floyd.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

People who grew up in Ireland calling it Boxing Day?

Why would people call Ireland Boxing Day?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Seanchai wrote: »

Wait, this inferiority complex....are you saying people who grew up "English-ified" feel inferior? :S

And if there's rants against aspects of Irish culture (God knows, I'm not the biggest fan of the Irish language), perhaps its because in my viewing of English and American TV, I've realised how unnessecary it is on the larger global scale as opposed to the insular Irish scale....

Advertisement