Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People who grew up in Ireland calling it Boxing Day?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

OK, some people call it Boxing Day, some people call it St. Stephen's Day. But why is it that people resent it when people (including me) call it Boxing Day?

But far more importantly, who the hell in Ireland says 'High Street'???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

McGaggs wrote: »

People in Galway ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Mike 1972 wrote: »

People in Galway ?

You know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

OK, some people call it Boxing Day, some people call it St. Stephen's Day. But why is it that people resent it when people (including me) call it Boxing Day?

People in Wexford, or Graiguenamanagh, or Kilkenny, or Galway, or Killarney.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Ignorance probably?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    WHY. DO. YOU. CARE?

I never said I did care. Why do you care? what is the capital letters about?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Always called it Boxing day and always will. There is a saint related to every day of the year yet we dont go around calling days after them so why bother with this Stephen bloke just coz he was a martyr?

At least Boxing Day has some relevance to Christmas and makes more sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Seanchai wrote: »

"Plenty" is very vague. "Boxing Day" is patently a usage by a very small and culturally more anglicised section of society who are either unfortunate enough to be still living under British rule, or geographically very close to that area. This thread has made that clear. Moreover, "Boxing Day" is a relatively new British neologism for St Stephen's Day. Why people are contending that it's not, as if "Boxing Day" has as long a history of use in this country as St Stephen's Day when it is clearly a recent import from British commercial culture, is the odd thing here.

Boxing Day/ High Street/ British Isles reflect an idiosyncratically British outlook on the world. Don't bother claiming that they are Irish because historically they aren't. Just because some self-declared republicans in the Six claim it must be Irish because they use it doesn't make it Irish. They are still 90 years behind the rest of the country (socially-economically deprived British soccer-following areas of Dublin and Drogheda excluded, of course) in terms of their freedom from British cultural/commercial norms like "high streets" and "Boxing Day". Why this candid observation of the cultural world within which they have had the misfortune to grow up in in the North of Ireland rankles with some is strange. An Irishman in Derry is just as Irish as an Irishman in Kerry in his identity, but culturally they have had to live under British cultural norms and therefore what they see as 'normal' can be seen by people outside British rule as being very British. I have huge sympathy for the Irish in the North, but trying to sell us this sow's ear of "Boxing Day" as being up there with the silk cultural and historical purse of St Stephen's Day/Lá an Dreoilín is not on after all the work we've done trying to deanglicise the free part of the country.

This contention, against all the evidence, that "Boxing Day" is as Irish as "Stephen's Day" is becoming quite silly now.

My rule of thumb is just to call it whatever gets your bile running.

So I'm sticking with Boxed Present For My Irish Manservant Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

The wren, the wren, the king of all birds, boxing day got caught in the furze. Nope that doesnt work, St Stephens it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Witchie wrote: »
    Always called it Boxing day and always will. There is a saint related to every day of the year yet we dont go around calling days after them so why bother with this Stephen bloke just coz he was a martyr?

At least Boxing Day has some relevance to Christmas and makes more sense.

Why bother calling it Christmas if you think that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Is there a rule now about what were allowed call days now?

What's Jan 6- Epiphany/Little Christmas/Women's Christmas/06/01/1/6?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

efb wrote: »

Nollaig na mBan

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Bullchomper

Haaaaaa! Hilarious! Arguments about boxing day and spelling... Ah.. haven't been on Boards for a while, we should have a flat out unholy fiendish dispute about embroidered cushions - BASTARDING CUSHIONS!

Nollaig na mBan

So should the 26th not be Là 'le Stiofàn then???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Why bother calling it Christmas if you think that?

Coz its what I grew up calling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

we should have a flat out unholy fiendish dispute about embroidered cushions - BASTARDING CUSHIONS!

Well at least its original

You sir (or madam ?) are a fuking genius.

let the trolling/flaming/banning begin !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Witchie wrote: »
    Coz its what I grew up calling it.

You may have grown up calling it Boxing Day but that does not explain the rest of your post

In calling it Lá Dornailiocht next year- the barstoolers will be pišsed right off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

So should the 26th not be Là 'le Stiofàn then???

If ya like. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Yesterday was St Anthony The Hermit Day.

I stayed in

• Advertisement

Yesterday was St Anthony The Hermit Day.

I stayed in

A day for getting crabs! ;)

When's the feast day of the massacre of the holy infants

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Bullchomper

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Well at least its original

You sir (or madam ?) are a fuking genius.

let the trolling/flaming/banning begin !

Madam, last I heard. I can't believe my attempt to instigate carnage failed. Not so much as a peep about needlework or fluff... I'm off to the corner of the room to wallow in dismay..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

A day for getting crabs! ;)

Getting them was the day before. Staying in on Hermit Day trying to get rid of em :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

woodoo wrote: »
    Some people may have been raised calling it boxing day. Leave them be. Its what they are used to.
    some parts of the world say st stephens day is the 27th december,in fact untill the late 16th century even rome used to celebrate on that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

For what it's worth, when I was growing up Boxing Day was used more at home than St. Stephens Day. Parents both came from border counties.

As for why people are so insistent about St. Stephens Day, I couldn't see why most people in Ireland would care, as extraordinary as Stephen was in the early Christian church.

Does it really matter which is used. I thought society should have grown up of the it's a British thing ergo we don't do it stage. If we haven't then it means that Irish identity is firmly pegged to British identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭onedmc

The Carol Good King Wenceslas refers to the feast of Stephen.

This was written by an Englishman about an English king so they must have referred to it as such at some stage. They Brits mush have changed the wording to reflect the generosity of the landed class to their grateful employee - they're all unemployed now

He wasnt even a King! (QI told me)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭AEDIC

onedmc wrote: »
    The Carol Good King Wenceslas refers to the feast of Stephen.

This was written by an Englishman about an English king so they must have referred to it as such at some stage. They Brits mush have changed the wording to reflect the generosity of the landed class to their grateful employee - they're all unemployed now

No it wasnt.... wasnt he a Duke of Bohemia or something (again from QI :D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

I actually find it quite sad that people openly admit to calling it Boxing Day "cos I heard it on the telly". I've no problem with people calling it Boxing Day, but seriously, are you really that impressionable??? You call it Boxing Day simply because you watch British TV. No other reason. No English mother, no growing up in England/Australia/Canada/Donegal. Just the telly. By that logic you should also go around saying "innit?" and "Giz a butchers!" too, and have a strange mix of different English accents proportionate to how often they are broadcast on the TV.

Advertisement