Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything Else Hip Hop

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The Source is not worth reading these days at all unless you are really into the high end mainstream brand of hip hop.
    It's a pretty safe bet for them, but no edge or punts taken by them anymore.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Very good read on the making of the movie Juice

https://myspace.com/discover/editorial/2014/1/13/oral-history-juice-tupac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

nice interview with ice cube about pretty much everything. The jay z one is hilarious :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Outkast have been confirmed for Wireless Festival in London, bringing them another step closer to a show over here :P

The whole wireless lineup is pretty hip hop heavy. Drake, Kanye, Outkast, Earl, Chance the Rapper, A$AP Ferg, Wiz Khalifa, Pharrell, Angel Haze & Salt N Pepa. More acts to be announced as well.

Meanwhile we have Longitude with Disclosure & Ben Howard...

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭LUPE

HighClass wrote: »
    Outkast have been confirmed for Wireless Festival in London, bringing them another step closer to a show over here :P

The whole wireless lineup is pretty hip hop heavy. Drake, Kanye, Outkast, Earl, Chance the Rapper, A$AP Ferg, Wiz Khalifa, Pharrell, Angel Haze & Salt N Pepa. More acts to be announced as well.

Meanwhile we have Longitude with Disclosure & Ben Howard...

Don't know why this is a surprise. There's a far bigger population and proportionate hip-hop following in London and Birmingham.

• Advertisement

LUPE wrote: »
    Don't know why this is a surprise. There's a far bigger population and proportionate hip-hop following in London and Birmingham.

Yeah of course but back in its heyday Oxegen always had a strong hip hop element. Seems like festivals over here have gone away from it heavily the past few years. The year I went JayZ, Eminem, Dizzee Rascal, Plan B, Pro Green, D12, Drake(on the bill but got cancelled) all played.

N.E.R.D, Odd Future, House of Pain, Wu Tang and loads more played it through the years as well.

Electric Picnic always have a few to be fair, never more than a handful every year though.

Another Outkast show has been announced, headlining Bestival in the Isle Of Wight. It's on 4-7 of September, pretty close to Electric Picnic dates, I'd say it's a safe bet they'll be playing this year.

OOOoooooohhhhhh, things are getting interesting, would love to see them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I'm thinking of going to the Saturday show in Birmingham with Outkast at it.

I might use Bruno Mars as a way to get my girlfriend to go to it with me. I've absolutely no intention of staying for his set though.

Rapper Big Pooh from Little Brother has signed up with Mello Music Group for an alum (produced by Nottz) and an EP to be produced by the MMG roster.

That sounds real interesting to me.
    Rapper Big Pooh Signs Deal
    w/ Mello Music Group
    Rapper Big Pooh has signed a two project deal with Mello Music Group for 2014. The first project is with legendary producer Nottz and will be released this summer on MMG. The second project is an extended EP produced by Mello beat-makers exclusively. To celebrate we're giving away a new track from Rapper Big Pooh off the just released Mandala Vol. 2, Today's Mathematics.
    Free Download:
    b8j9_ScreenShot20140129at114408PM.png
    Those new to Rapper Big Pooh have a lot of listening to catch up on, from his start the legendary group Little Brother, to more recent work with Kendrick Lamar. Mello Music Group first worked with Big Pooh in 2009 on a song with Georgia Anne Muldrow and MED titled Endure and then for the track Drugs Outside with Oddisee and Black Milk. MMG is excited to finally have Rapper Big Pooh working with the squad in 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

De La Soul were putting up their music for free download off their website the other day for a limited period. Anyone catch that?

Only hearing it now the offer is over.

De La Soul were putting up their music for free download off their website the other day for a limited period. Anyone catch that?

Only hearing it now the offer is over.

Yep, I reckon I have it all on physical already, so it saves me the effort of ripping them :) Was only available for 24 hours.

They have an EP and LP due this year as well, one of them is half produced by Premo, the other half by Pete Rock......at least I think it's DeLa that has this.

Want to see Action Bronson perform a swan dive from a yacht?

Nice little docu on ODB and his problems with the law

I walked in the door yesterday evening and the missus was sitting with the laptop open and was playing this on youtube:

This took me by suprise, I asked her how she got to watching a Killarmy video on youtube.
    She was looking at the side projects from the members of System Of A Down, and came accross something which I had completely forgotten about. Achozen was a group that RZA was part of with the guitarist from SOAD and Kinetic 9 from Killarmy. This is what got my missus listening to Killarmy...she is not a hip hop head at all really.

So now it's time to remind myself about Achozen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

This is an excellent interview with Big Noyd, goes behind the process of how he got started in music, how he f*cked up his career twice, how Mobb Deep albums were made, how he got groupies.....there is loads in here:

http://www.unkut.com/2014/03/big-noyd-the-unkut-interview/

And if you are wondering who Big Noyd is, get a listen to Episode of a Hustla.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Do you ever do karaoke?
    Nah, I don't do karaoke, I do Freddieoke.

What does Freddieoke involve?
    That's like singing in the shower, singing butt-naked when you're fúcking a bítch and just bustin' out shít at random times.

What's a classic Freddieoke song?
    A classic Freddieoke song is "Contagious" by the Isley Brothers and R. Kelly. [Sings "What the hell is going on between the sheets in my home?"] That's a classic Freddieoke song.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/2014/03/freddie_gibbs_interview.php?page=2

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Brendan Filone

Excellent Wu-Tang Clan 20th Anniversary article:

http://grantland.com/features/wu-tang-clan-20th-anniversary-reunion-rza-gza-ghostface/

Article is pretty long but is a must read, interviewer speaks to everyone (except for ODB obviously). As a fan it can be depressing reading about the group dysfunction. It's mind-blowing these guys can still actively tour and create tracks with each other.

Excellent Wu-Tang Clan 20th Anniversary article:

http://grantland.com/features/wu-tang-clan-20th-anniversary-reunion-rza-gza-ghostface/

Article is pretty long but is a must read, interviewer speaks to everyone (except for ODB obviously). As a fan it can be depressing reading about the group dysfunction. It's mind-blowing these guys can still actively tour and create tracks with each other.

That's pretty excellent.

There's a link to this ODB interview which is pretty eye opening -> http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2002/mar/22/shopping.artsfeatures

• Advertisement

The artist formerly known as Diddy has changed his name back to Puff Daddy for his new album. He's not known for great music but Bad Boy For Life & I'll Be Missing You are tunes still!

http://www.pitchfork.com/news/54484-diddy-is-puff-daddy-again-teases-new-single/

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭MattHelders

Can anyone give me some info about Nas' autobiography, It Ain't Hard To Tell?

All is says after a google search is that is it supposed to be released in 2012. Can't seem to find it on Amazon or anything. Didn't he just not release it?

Can anyone give me some info about Nas' autobiography, It Ain't Hard To Tell?

All is says after a google search is that is it supposed to be released in 2012. Can't seem to find it on Amazon or anything. Didn't he just not release it?

Thanks for the reminder on this....the book has never come out though from what I can tell. I've looked up the publisher press releases, they have the press release for the announcement, but nothing after that. So I'd say it's never happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

You guys might enjoy this podcast that I listen to, If There's Hell Below. Two guys in London play a variety of genres of tracks, usually releases from that week. Not all hip-hop but always a few tracks on there at least. Plus some satirical chat.

Additionally, The Music Snobs is an incredible roundtable discussion podcast about hip hop and black music in general. Highly recommended.

I'm not really one for a podcast, but I'm listening to one of The Hell Below ones now. Seems like they are knowledgeable dudes and the music aint bad at all.

The only one podcast that I listen to is The Rogglecast. It a hip hop producer called Blockhead and his writer friend Polyne discussing a variety of topics. There is no music in it, but lots of New Yorker honesty.

https://soundcloud.com/rogglecast

A few tour/groupie tales slip in which are good for a laugh.

I'm sure there are some Game Of Thrones fans here

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Nas on Fallon (tonight show) is pretty immense. From last night or the night before. So so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

lordgoat wrote: »
    Nas on Fallon (tonight show) is pretty immense. From last night or the night before. So so good.

nice call man, just found this

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/04/watch-nas-q-tip-and-the-roots-perform-on-fallon/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭weemcd

Nas was great on Fallon.

here's one from a while back

• Advertisement

How many album covers can you find.

Advertisement