Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Working Hours

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

This will be my first Christmas Eve/Christmas Day off in 4 years. Woop! Still gotta work Stephen's night, New Years Eve (2pm-3am eugh) and New Years Day. And all the days in between. This is my Mothers first Christmas Day off in 6 years. Will be weird having everyone at home!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Double time on Stephens day and New Year's Eve that's it.
    New years Eve isn't double time for anyone. It's not a public holiday. New Years day is however as is St. Stephens day.

As a Christmas temp in retail I would advise you to suck it up because that's exactly what you signed on for and you were deluding yourself if you thought you would have more time off over Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Ah here, people moan if they have work, moan if they dont, suck it up!
    When I was on contract I worked every weekend and bank holiday, and that included Christmas eve, Stephens day, New years eve and New years day. It wasnt ideal, but I got paid and I got on with it, as did everyone else landed with those hours. You work your way up the food chain. Even now that Im fairly settled in my job Im working today and Stephens day, aswell as new years day (the one day Id kill to be off on!) Funnily enough Im only working today because other staff in the office were moaning...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Well OP...

1. Working as a Christmas temp involved working christmas hours. It's not like they sprung the hours on you. After new years you can go and buy yourself something nice to make up for it (and you'll have the money to do so).

2. "But I'm new here" isn't a reason to give you days off.

3. You're lucky to be in a job & earning a nice bit for working on holidays.

4. If/When you're unemployed, you can have all the time off you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭hypermuse

some xmas temps get kept on so if you just suck it up and do the hours (that you were hired to do) then you might just find yourself with a permanent position!!
    And if you are hired and find yourself still with the employer this time next year then you never know.. all those new xmas temps of 2012 might have to do all the hours so you to have a few days off!

As a xmas temp you were hired to work over xmas.. I really dont see your argument! Sure it aint nice, but thats the job of a xmas temp. Plus you will more than likely get overtime for your troubles!

You should be glad of the chance to earn as much money as possible when you are possibly facing unemployment in a few weeks!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭First Aid Ireland

I would just like to add that that I'm off til the 27th :D

merry xmas :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Can I just ask all of you who are working today what you work as? I can't think of many places that work Christmas Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭First Aid Ireland

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Can I just ask all of you who are working today what you work as? I can't think of many places that work Christmas Day.

I work in a hospital, and our clinical areas are on full throttle. Ambulance service seems to be quite busy too, if last night is anything to go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭ThePower11

Unless your a Guard or work in a hospital I can't think of anyone that should be working on Christmas Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

to be fair it does sound like your being ravaged somewhat, have a chat with your work mates and come up with some sort of plan, if you muse strike action it will probably put the shiits up your employers,

as to not put your career in jeopardy suggest you will take the decorations of the xmass tree and put them away neat and tidily, but stand firm, hold true to the values you have and let them know you will do a ghostie if required

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

ThePower11 wrote: »
    Unless your a Guard or work in a hospital I can't think of anyone that should be working on Christmas Day.

Social workers, Child Protection officers, residential care workers, disability care workers,homeless project workers. In the care sector,there are LOADS of people workin today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

ThePower11 wrote: »

Hotel workers, ESB, Gas, television, radio and they are just of the top of my head I'm sure there are plenty more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

prostitutes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

prostitutes

Aah do they not get Christmas day off, poor things they work flat out the rest of the year.

Last three jobs i worked all involved working over Christmas, only day I got off was Christmas day its self. Worked 2pm on the 23 to 4am the next morning in one well known supermarket. When i wasnt in at 7am as i was rostered for I got a number of phone calls of my manager scrraming abuse at me. I wished them a merry christmas and turned my phone off. Went in a few hours later, did what I had to and come closing time left. Some people were kept back 3 extra hours in order to get the store ready for St. Stephens day. I was thankful for the job but when the only day I got off between December 1 and January 3 was the 25 it was hard to head in each day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

ElleEm wrote: »
    Social workers, Child Protection officers, residential care workers, disability care workers,homeless project workers. In the care sector,there are LOADS of people workin today.

Yeah I should have specified I suppose. Other than the care sector and emergency services. A few people here said retail work today but I can't think what that might be. Hotel work is one I suppose but that's not really retail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

called into a garage that's open today, in county meath. my friends father is working today (mdf factory).

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

I'll be working 6 out of 7 days this coming week including stephens day, new years eve and day. I've been doing it for 5 years now, plus I have to study for january exams.... You think you have it tough!

You're very lucky to have a job, don't bother complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

This is like an undertaker complaining that he has to work funerals.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

I worked in retail since I was 16 and you have to work unsociable hours! I wouldn't expect to be kept on after Christmas if you have that attitude! You have to earn the good shifts through working in places longer, it's just how it is! Anyways I'd say Just get out of retail if you hate it so much! I did and I'm having a fabChristmas!! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement