Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Working Hours

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

no, most temps would do a full 40 hour week. it's up to your employer what hours you work. but taking on a seasonal job, you should expect to work all the awkward hours. all you can do is ask someone to swap with you, but I don't think you're in much of a position to argue tbh.

Aye, I see where your coming from.

I think my only argument is why some temps have both off and I have to work both.

Cheers for the opinion anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I finished up my job in retail last week after 7 years. So FINALLY have a Christmas Eve off and the week after. :D:D

Won't know what to do with myself!

My first Christmas out of retail too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

You were implying my job is to just cover shifts so to speak.Implying that because I'm a Christmas temp I should be working New Years Eve. If that's the case why isn't every Christmas temp not in? Or the majority of them? Other temps are off both, which I deem as unfair.

2007 called.
    It want's it sense of entitlement back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

"hic....hic.." Stupidtheslayer........ Shanousername " hic " seee what I done

stupid Linden Village makin me drunk[SIZE="1"][/SIZE]

In short, OP what the good people of AH are saying is that if you're looking for sympathy you'll find it between shit and syphilis in the dictionary!.

You won't find it here, I promise you that.

I wasn't looking for sympathy I've been reading AH too long to believe the AH'ers are sympathetic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Tough.
    Consider what a garda will encounter on Christmas day, and nothing extra because its a Sunday so they get a sunday allowance which works out at about e60 for a garda on max pay. A garda working new years eve night 10pm to 6am will get about e10 more (saturday allowance) than he got for working a Wednesday night in august

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

o/
    I'm currently working in retail, and I've been rostered in Christmas Eve,Stephens Day,Tuesday(Which is a bank holiday as Stephens Day is on the monday?) and then New Years Eve.

I'm fully expecting to be put in New Years Day. So that would be basically 5 holiday days I would be in for where as people are only in for one or two. If I do get put in I will argue that it's unfair that I've to work all the holiday days.

As I'm only a Christmas temp I expect them to say that i'm new here etc etc.

I would argue that with why would I want to work for a company which is unfair and favoritism goes to people who work there longer. I would understand if they wanted me in New Years Day and gave me another one of the days off but that is not the case.

So any suggestion if they do put me in that they? Any Valid arguments I can use ?

:confused:

Christmas temp and you're complaining that you have to work Christmas hours Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 32 teishen

Jesus Christ, when I was in working I wanted all the hours they sent my way!

40 hours a week me hole. That's the minimum I'd want to have and the more the merrier! :pac: Give me the hours you don't want to work, I'd be more than happy to have them.

teishen wrote: »
    Jesus Christ, when I was in working I wanted all the hours they sent my way!

40 hours a week me hole. That's the minimum I'd want to have and the more the merrier! :pac: Give me the hours you don't want to work, I'd be more than happy to have them.

You can have my Stephens Day shift mate :pac:

Bare in mind I havn't told you which retail shop :P

• Registered Users Posts: 32 teishen

You can have my Stephens Day shift mate :pac:

Bare in mind I havn't told you which retail shop :P

They're all pretty much the same in the end what with irritable feckers in every hour of the day complaining about the colour of the walls and the prices of everything and jaysis isn't the weather terrible out today. :pac:

• Advertisement

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    :confused:

Christmas temp and you're complaining that you have to work Christmas hours Haha

Read previous posts, the argument was already had

teishen wrote: »
    They're all pretty much the same in the end what with irritable feckers in every hour of the day complaining about the colour of the walls and the prices of everything and jaysis isn't the weather terrible out today. :pac:

''Warm out today'' ''Warm out yesterday'' ''Even warmer out today'' :pac:

''Warm out today'' ''Warm out yesterday'' ''Even warmer out today'' :pac:

Is this the weather forecast?

Is this the weather forecast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Cheeky_gal

Read previous posts, the argument was already had

I did and tbh you don't deserve to even have a job with that attitude! :mad:

o/

I would argue that with why would I want to work for a company which is unfair and favoritism goes to people who work there longer..

?

because if you work there longer, you won't be the guy that has to do the ****ty shifts in the future - do you expect to have everthing handed to you on a silver plater?

Pay your dues buddy.

Cheeky_gal wrote: »
    I did and tbh you don't deserve to even have a job with that attitude! :mad:

The fact I work hard 6 days a week, and would like to request 1 day off?

Pft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I applied for a saturday job OP but the b******s wanted me to work a saturday then :eek:

woodoo wrote: »
    I applied for a saturday job OP but the b******s wanted me to work a saturday then :eek:

Unbelivable Jeff! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 460 ✭✭four18

but what is your point? what do you mean it's not your job?
    jaysus an 8.65ph man....and its too much !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'm working Christmas Eve, Christmas day, Stephan's day and New years day.

Sure somebody has to keep the economy running.

Oranage2 wrote: »

In retail? :/

four18 wrote: »
    jaysus an 8.65ph man....and its too much !

If you're referring to me i'm not on 8.65

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

In retail? :/

no.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Oranage2 wrote: »

I traded Christmas eve,day and Stephen's day for new years. Both them and myself were happy enough, and now I find that the day I'm back in Belfast, I'm working 2 hours after the plane lands and will be on for the next 6 days straight after that with one day off and then back on for another 5 days straight. All breakfast shifts bar the day I get back.

Someone has to cure the new years hangovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

So happy I work in an office whenever Christmas rolls around-we shut down until January :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

o/

I'm currently working in retail, and I've been rostered in Christmas Eve,Stephens Day,Tuesday(Which is a bank holiday as Stephens Day is on the monday?) and then New Years Eve.

I'm fully expecting to be put in New Years Day. So that would be basically 5 holiday days I would be in for where as people are only in for one or two. If I do get put in I will argue that it's unfair that I've to work all the holiday days.

As I'm only a Christmas temp I expect them to say that i'm new here etc etc.

I would argue that with why would I want to work for a company which is unfair and favoritism goes to people who work there longer. I would understand if they wanted me in New Years Day and gave me another one of the days off but that is not the case.

So any suggestion if they do put me in that they? Any Valid arguments I can use ?

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/5/16/128869553813915655.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

All doom and gloom in here! I'm working in retail and have great hours over Christmas this year. Finished up on Wednesday and I'm off 'til next Thursday. And I've New years Eve and Day off too.

Had shit hours the last two years and generally get the bad shifts during the year so this is well earned!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

I used to work full time in retail and, in companies that used temps and part-timers, these workers were usually used to work the crappy days while the regular workers had those days off.
    I remember working one New Years Day in a record shop where I was a full timer once. It was awful. The lights went in the front of the shop and there was nobody around to fix them. The place was...as usual...bloody freezing, while the amount of customers barely justified the place opening. There were three of us in and we were huddled around a heater behind the counter for most of the day. As it was so quiet, we agreed to take extended lunch breaks just to get out of the bloody cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'm in retail also, not Christmas temp though. I worked till 10pm tonight, working till 6pm tomorrow, working till 9pm on Monday and till 10pm Tuesday. Off NYE but in New Years Day.

Advertisement