Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Working Hours

Options
  • 24-12-2011 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭

o/

I'm currently working in retail, and I've been rostered in Christmas Eve,Stephens Day,Tuesday(Which is a bank holiday as Stephens Day is on the monday?) and then New Years Eve.

I'm fully expecting to be put in New Years Day. So that would be basically 5 holiday days I would be in for where as people are only in for one or two. If I do get put in I will argue that it's unfair that I've to work all the holiday days.

As I'm only a Christmas temp I expect them to say that i'm new here etc etc.

I would argue that with why would I want to work for a company which is unfair and favoritism goes to people who work there longer. I would understand if they wanted me in New Years Day and gave me another one of the days off but that is not the case.

So any suggestion if they do put me in that they? Any Valid arguments I can use ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

you're a christmas temp, and you're complaining about having to work...over christmas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Shure aren't you lucky to have christmas job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Should be lucky you have a job:D

/too late again ...damn goes those precious thanks ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

o/

I'm currently working in retail, and I've been rostered in Christmas Eve,Stephens Day,Tuesday(Which is a bank holiday as Stephens Day is on the monday?) and then New Years Eve.

I'm fully expecting to be put in New Years Day. So that would be basically 5 holiday days I would be in for where as people are only in for one or two. If I do get put in I will argue that it's unfair that I've to work all the holiday days.

I would argue that with why would I want to work for a company which is unfair and favoritism goes to people who work there longer. I would understand if they wanted me in New Years Day and gave me another one of the days off but that is not the case.

So any suggestion if they do put me in that they? Any Valid arguments I can use ?

If I were a Christmas temp and facing unemployment in Jan I would work as many hours possible in order to have a few quid in the bank for when I finished up.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

you're a christmas temp, and you're complaining about having to work...over christmas?

I'm not complaining, I'm no problem working the hours at Christmas. I do have family and would like to spend them with them on Christmas and or New Years, how am I expected to do that if I'm working on all the holiday days? And if you want to get technical, New Years isn't Christmas.

A little common sense please.
    Dotrel wrote: »
    Shure aren't you lucky to have christmas job.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

o/

Suck it up for Christ sake.

You pay your dues when you're at the bottom of the food chain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

Get the flu.
    Sure tis all the rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

I know it sounds sucky but wont you get triple time. Think of what you could do with all that moneys!! (The 's' in money is on purpose.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve are not holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Excellent point. Clearly you've been a practitioner in the debating arts for some time now.

• Advertisement

I'm not complaining, I'm no problem working the hours at Christmas. I do have family and would like to spend them with them on Christmas and or New Years, how am I expected to do that if I'm working on all the holiday days? And if you want to get technical, New Years isn't Christmas.

A little common sense please.

but it is common sense. when I worked in retail, the christmas staff we took on finished up on New Years day. makes sense to me, for a christmas job.

Mr.S wrote: »
    You where hired to help with the increased amount of customers during the Christmas period. What did you expect when you applied?!!

Which is exactly what I have been doing, I've been working 30+ hours each week since I was hired, getting the minimum days of yep grand doesn't bother me. But when I wish for 1 day off I'm the biggest cúnt in the world?

Ah yes, makes sense...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

You could always make up an elaborate lie about pressing engagements you cannot avoid, most employers will try to accomodate you. Otherwise swap shifts or pull a sickie.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

You have no argument.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Sorry, but that is exactly what is expected from a christmas temp. You do have to earn things like choicest holidays over time. I'm surprised you and your employer didn't discuss this before two days before christmas, don't even bother discussing it now, if you hope to get a reference or further employment from hem.

I know it sounds sucky but wont you get triple time. Think of what you could do with all that moneys!! (The 's' in money is on purpose.)

Double time on Stephens day and New Year's Eve that's it.
    El Weirdo wrote: »

In Retail they are, because if you book Christmas off, it falls under Christmas Eve and Stephens Day.
    Dotrel wrote: »
    Excellent point. Clearly you've been a practitioner in the debating arts for some time now.

It wasn't luck that I got my job in the first place. That's why I did the eye roll.
    but it is common sense. when I worked in retail, the christmas staff we took on finished up on New Years day. makes sense to me, for a christmas job.

It depends on the contract and when it's up. I've worked before and my Christmas Contract was up Christmas Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Ah another thread where nobody can see me. Im starting to fade away away. . .

But am I right about the triple pay? Do I sound like a money obsessed ****?
    If so then sorry, it's just one of my friends is doing a 12 hour shift on Christmas and is saying he will get like 360 Euro for it.

Sounds like a nice trade

EDIT: Just saw your response. Thanks.

It depends on the contract and when it's up. I've worked before and my Christmas Contract was up Christmas Eve.

yes of course it depends on the contract, but if you're down to work new years then obviously your contract goes on longer.

:confused: not getting the issue here

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

Boo hoo! I'm on a full time permanent contract and I have to do 12 hour shifts on xmas day and stephens day plus10pm to 4am over new years night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

If you have a problem with unsociable hours, get out of retail. I did it for 4 years and each Christmas I had a headache trying to string 2 consecutive days off together.
    Put up with it for the sake of the dough.

• Advertisement

Ah another thread where nobody can see me. Im starting to fade away away. . .

If so then sorry, it's just one of my friends is doing a 12 hour shift on Christmas and is saying he will get like 360 Euro for it.

Sounds like a nice trade

I replied to your post scroll up :P
    yes of course it depends on the contract, but if you're down to work new years then obviously your contract goes on longer.

:confused: not getting the issue here

My contract goes past New Years. That doesn't necessarily mean I should have to work New Years Day was my point.

I replied to your post scroll up :P

My contract goes past New Years. That doesn't necessarily mean I should have to work New Years Day was my point.

but the point of being a christmas temp / seasonal temp is that you cover all the extra days that need covering.

but the point of being a christmas temp / seasonal temp is that you cover all the extra days that need covering.

If it was just to cover the extra days, then it would be understandable, but it's not with my job anyway. I'm working 30-40+ hours a week.(And No I'm not complaining simply stating to prove my point)

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

Ah another thread where nobody can see me. Im [SIZE="3"]starting to[/SIZE] [SIZE="2"]fade away[/SIZE] [SIZE="1"]away[/SIZE]. . .

Sounds like a nice trade

EDIT: Just saw your response. Thanks.

Meh triple pay isnt worth it. I get €66 per hour for xmas day but I would give it up ina heartbeat if someone was willing to swap with me.

If it was just to cover the extra days, then it would be understandable, but it's not with my job anyway. I'm working 30-40+ hours a week.(And No I'm not complaining simply stating to prove my point)

but what is your point? what do you mean it's not your job?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I finished up my job in retail last week after 7 years. So FINALLY have a Christmas Eve off and the week after. :D:D

Won't know what to do with myself!

but what is your point? what do you mean it's not your job?

You were implying my job is to just cover shifts so to speak.Implying that because I'm a Christmas temp I should be working New Years Eve. If that's the case why isn't every Christmas temp not in? Or the majority of them? Other temps are off both, which I deem as unfair.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

El Weirdo wrote: »

They certainly arent.

You will be owed a day in lieu, which you are entitled to take within am month, for working St Stephen's Day and New Years Day.

You were implying my job is to just cover shifts so to speak.Implying that because I'm a Christmas temp I should be working New Years Eve. If that's the case why isn't every Christmas temp not in? Or the majority of them? Other temps are off both, which I deem as unfair.

no, most temps would do a full 40 hour week. it's up to your employer what hours you work. but taking on a seasonal job, you should expect to work all the awkward hours. all you can do is ask someone to swap with you, but I don't think you're in much of a position to argue tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

In short, OP what the good people of AH are saying is that if you're looking for sympathy you'll find it between shit and syphilis in the dictionary!.

You won't find it here, I promise you that.

Advertisement