Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

im not convinced

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,296 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

braintoxic wrote: »
    i work in a control room
    Ah, you don't have it too bad, then. Most of the people that I know who've done security (doormen, shop security, shopping centre security, etc) have been followed (sometimes to their home) and assaulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Fair play OP. You sound determined, you worked hard for years and in a time of recession you are seeing the benefits, be proud!! :)

I think you are right about some people on the dole. I've worked at everything over the years so it's not a problem for me to change careers/industries, I've done it loads. But there are people out there who are not willing to do that, and they feel entitled to stay taking money from the state until something of their liking comes along.

There are some difficulties that people face when looking for work,things outside of their control. As a nation we are incredibly ageist. If you are between say 25-40 (ish) you will have an easier time getting a job, good chance you have some work experience behind you (maybe like me in a variety of industries) your wages are still cheap, you may even own your own home so it's not likely you'll be leaving any time soon.

BUT if you fall either side of this you are in trouble, under 25 (ish) you may not have much work experience (only college or school), so employers may not be willing to take a chance without work references. Over 40 and there is the assumption that you will want higher wages to match your experience (and lifestyle); regardless of whether this is true or not. Over 50 and you cease to exist as far as most employers are concerned.

Employers are also taking the piss with employee's in a lot of cases as they know that there aren't that many options out there. So where people have gotten jobs they have been bullied and threatened with the job being taken away at any minute. Or by some employers bringing people in to work for "free" for a day to judge how good they are, then never give them (or anyone) the job, just keep doing this.

So its about hard work and being aggressive with applications but also being smart enough (confident/informed enough) to spot the chancers. Its a tough time for most.

(dont get me started on the dole "lifers" and the fake single parents, they are costing us a fortune)

Advertisement